or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006) - Page 25

post #961 of 2106
Sony to lift capacity to make Blu-ray movie, video game discs to 10 million a month

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx...fx2875397.html
Quote:
TOKYO (XFN-ASIA) - Sony Corp intends to raise its global capacity to produce Blue-ray movie and video game discs to 10 mln copies per month by the end of this year, the company said.

Unit Sony Music Manufacturing, based near Nagoya, will boost its capacity to 2.5 mln per month in the fall here from 300,000 at present, a Sony statements says.

Sony will produce 5 mln discs per month in the US and 2.5 mln in Europe.
post #962 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Man you're a tough customer.

So you think that Q1 2007 when these discs are shipping and 2nd generation hardware is you'll hop on the train?

Heh...I'll buy one after you buy one.

Q2 of 2007 should be about when I upgrade my projector again too so Q2 its as good a guess as any. Late Q1 of 2007 (i.e. Nov-Dec 2006) is likely when I get a 2nd gen intel mini. I hope anyway. I also hope that the 2nd gen mini keeps the CPU socket...hmmm we talking fiscal or calendar year?

But anyway...back to the BR vs HD-DVD tempest...
post #963 of 2106
i hope hd-dvd gets the matrix trilogy first. =)

that'd be a real push for me to go out and actually get one rather early.
post #964 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by marzetta7
Just wanted to point out that Lord of the Rings will NOT be HD DVD exlusive as New Line has pledged Blu-ray support.

OMG!!!!! I had missed that when Warner Bros. announced they would support both formats. Well, game over for me, man. Fox will serve up my astonishing X-Men in Blu-ray, and if I can get Peter Jackson's holy trilogy on BD as well, I will be Sony's bitch and love it. Money is no object when it comes to these mighty movies!

And I say this as someone who bought both RCA's SelectaVision and later laserdisc to watch "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." And I would do it all again!
post #965 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
OMG!!!!! I had missed that when Warner Bros. announced they would support both formats. Well, game over for me, man. Fox will serve up my astonishing X-Men in Blu-ray, and if I can get Peter Jackson's holy trilogy on BD as well, I will be Sony's bitch and love it. Money is no object when it comes to these mighty movies!

And I say this as someone who bought both RCA's SelectaVision and later laserdisc to watch "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." And I would do it all again!

Not to mention Star Wars, which being Fox/Lucas will likely be on Blu-Ray and 4 of which are worth seeing in HD!
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/

post #966 of 2106
Apple to point Blu-ray gun at Microsoft

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4967/53/
Quote:
By Stan Beer
Friday, 14 July 2006
It seems that everywhere you turn these days the age old feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys of the personal computing world, Apple and Microsoft, is resurfacing. In this epoch, however, the battlefield is not just desktop computing but online entertainment, whether it be music downloads or high definition video.

Microsoft has already publicly declared its hand in the high definition video war, lining up firmly behind the Toshiba led HD DVD camp. The software giant turned games console maker plans to incorporate HD DVD into its Xbox 360 platform in direct opposition to games console king and Blu-ray champion Sony.

Meanwhile, Apple has kept a relatively low profile in the building optical disc war as far as the general consumer public is concerned. In fact, however, Apple has already declared its hand. Apple is board member of the Blu-ray Disc Association. This, as others have pointed out, would suggest very strongly that Blu-ray players will be a feature of future Macintosh computers.

Apple's support for Blu-ray probably doesn't sit well with Intel, which supports HD DVD, but given Dell also supports Blu-ray what is the chip king going to do. Are HD DVD supporters NEC and Toshiba more important to Intel than Dell and Apple?

Despite Microsoft's overt support for HD DVD, it is notable that so far its commitment has amounted to little more than words. When a Toshiba executive put out the claim that Microsoft was planning to release an Xbox 360 with integrated HD DVD player, Microsoft issued a denial. To be sure, a plug-in for an external HD DVD player may become available but that's something quite different from an integrated player.

The difference between Microsoft's commitment to HD DVD and Sony's adoption of Blu-ray is stark. Sony has laid its cards on the table, while Microsoft appears to be taking an each way bet - appearing to support HD DVD but still leaving its the door slightly ajar with Xbox 360.

Apple, which has always been a technology driven company, appears to be in the Blu-ray camp and, given its once again growing influence in the home computer market, will, like Sony PlayStation 3, be a critical driver of Blu-ray going forward.

Hmm, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks Apple will be serving up a Blu-ray especial soon.
post #967 of 2106
Yet another report regarding Apple and Blu-ray...is the press preparing us for something? WWDC announcement of some sorts?...I don't know if I'd go that far, but as stated by the article, I think January of 2007 is nice timing.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07...pple/index.php

Quote:
Analysts: Blu-ray looms in Apple's future
By Jim Dalrymple

The competition between the competing next-generation optical disk technologies of Blu-ray and HD DVD has entered a new phase, as optical drive makers start rolling out the first products based on the rival technologies. As products based on these formats begin to arrive in stores, one major question for Mac users is: When will Apple integrate this new technology into its computers?

The question is more than just idle speculation. Apple enjoys a long track record of embracing emerging technologiesthink FireWire, Bluetooth, and wireless networking, among othersand incorporating them into its offerings. Also consider that Apple is on the board of directors for the Blu-ray Disc Association, and its not hard to envision a future where Macs are sporting Blu-ray-based drives.

As with any future product, Apple is keeping its plans for Blu-ray under wraps. But industry analysts dont think we'll have long to wait before Apple puts a Blu-ray drive in an Intel-based Mac.

The most likely candidate? The as-yet unreleased machine that will replace the Power Mac as Apples professional desktop offering.

Apples past practices favor bringing new optical technologies to professional systems first, said Jupiter Research senior analyst Joe Wilcox. DVD-RAM and DVD-R formats are excellent examples.

Ross Rubin, director of analysis at market-research firm NPD Group, agrees that Apple will work with the professional machines first. However, noting that Intel-based pro desktops have yet to appear, he predicts Blu-ray drives wont wind up in Apple systems for a few more months.

January would be goodthe timing for that would work out pretty well, Rubin said. It comes down to the introduction cycle, but we would see it in desktops first, no doubt.

Behind the format feud

Blu-ray and HD DVD are competing optical disc formats aimed at storing large amounts of high-definition video. The competition between the two standards pits some of the biggest companies in the technology industry against one another.

Blu-ray is supported by consumer electronics vendors Sony and Panasonic as well as PC vendors Dell and Apple. HD DVD is backed by Toshiba, NEC, Intel, and Microsoft.

The Apple supported H.264 technology is part of the technical specification for both Blu-ray and the competing HD DVD format that hopes to beat out Blu-ray as the industry standard.

For the winner comes the spoils of being the industry standard and having acceptance from movie studios and supplieswhich translates to bigger sales. And since the formats are not compatible the loser could easily drop out of the consumer market, much like what happened to the Betamax video cassette format when it lost out to VHS in the 1980s.

Toshiba began selling two HD DVD players in North America in April, beating rival Blu-ray Disc to market by about two months. Speaking in late May, a Toshiba executive said sales in North America were above 20,000. Samsung began shipping its Blu-ray writer in mid-June and BenQ has said it will ship its Blu-ray writer in August.

The impact on Apple

One drawback of the current format war between HD DVD and Blu-ray for the supporting companies is the confusion it causes in the market. Many people may hold off on buying products sporting either format until a clear winner has been found.

For that reason, Technology Business Research senior analyst Tim Deal believes Apple will shy away from adding a Blu-ray optical drive to any of its consumer Macs. [The format war] will cause confusion in the market which will ultimately mean slow acceptance of the technologies in the consumer market, he said.

But that doesnt mean Apple will avoid adopting Blu-ray until after the smoke clears in the format battle, analysts add. Apple is an active participant in the Blu-ray consortium, and they didnt let the last format war between DVD- and DVD+ stop them from moving ahead with the drive, NPD Groups Rubin said. I dont see them rushing to support bothtypically Apple supports one and they support it well.

Look for Apple to follow the same playbook it used in adding DVD-burning SuperDrives to its hardware lineup: pro-level machines first, followed by consumer offerings. The reason for that strategy, Rubin said, has much to do with minimize the cost of adopting new technologies.

One reason Apple been able to introduce new technologies at relative low cost has to do with cost reductions," Rubin added. In DVD writing they were very good at timingthey made a volume purchase play and introduced the drives at a relatively low cost compared to what had been available. I see them taking that approach with Blu-ray."
post #968 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by marzetta7
The most likely candidate? The as-yet unreleased machine that will replace the Power Mac as Apples professional desktop offering.

Boy, I hope so. I can just see it now. Steve at introduction of the new Mac Pro: "Oh, just one more thing. It has a Blu-ray drive. And no price increase." (The crowd explodes into applause.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat
Not to mention Star Wars, which being Fox/Lucas will likely be on Blu-Ray and 4 of which are worth seeing in HD!

Yeah, but would they do the original trilogy? The original theatrical versions (not those Special Edition travesties) will be available on DVD for a limited time later this year, but I don't think that's enough time for Blu-ray. And there's always Lucas' claim that he destroyed the negatives, so there's no good source material for HD masters. That'd be a heck of a driver for Blu-ray sales if they did it, though. "The theatrical versions, now available exclusively for the next best thing to the theater -- Blu-ray!" There'd be massive adoption of the format by SW fans. Maybe they could suddenly find some long-forgotten reels in the vaults that George missed when he went to the dark side. Yeah, wouldn't that be surprising.
post #969 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
Boy, I hope so. I can just see it now. Steve at introduction of the new Mac Pro: "Oh, just one more thing. It has a Blu-ray drive. And no price increase." (The crowd explodes into applause.)

Sony would probably be willing to sell Apple blu-ray drives at cost for a couple years in order to make this happen.

I don't think that the "no price increase" think will work out though, at least if you want dual-core woodcrest 3 ghz chips ($1700 total just for the two processors).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #970 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
I don't think that the "no price increase" think will work out though, at least if you want dual-core woodcrest 3 ghz chips ($1700 total just for the two processors).

There is more than one model of Powermac/Mac Pro, though. They can't have a massive price gulf between the iMacs and the Mac Pros, so there must be at least one basic model in the sub-$2000 range, preferably $1899. Although they may leave Blu-ray off that one to keep it at that price, just like the original low-end Powermacs lacked Superdrives.
post #971 of 2106
It doesn't matter if Sony give Apple drives at cost. With two formats currently in the market it makes NO sense trying to cram one in as a selling point.

Those who are authoring discs for a living will probably want both as options which means BTO is the best way to handle this.

You don't cut out %40 of your potential market if you can support %100 with BTO and your authoring applications
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #972 of 2106
Quote:
It doesn't matter if Sony give Apple drives at cost. With two formats currently in the market it makes NO sense trying to cram one in as a selling point.

Those who are authoring discs for a living will probably want both as options which means BTO is the best way to handle this.

You don't cut out %40 of your potential market if you can support %100 with BTO and your authoring applications

Movie playback is relatively unimportant for computer use, so the format differences don't matter. You just pick the bigger one and go burn backups.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #973 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Movie playback is relatively unimportant for computer use, so the format differences don't matter. You just pick the bigger one and go burn backups.

Home backup strategies mirror business backup strategy. Thus you will likely see backup to hard disc rather than optical drives.

Low cost NAS devices are proliferating far more quickly than high capacity optical recorders. Hard disc will be much cheaper per gigabyte for the forseeable future.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #974 of 2106
My guess is the mid and high-end models will come with a Blu-Ray drive (aka the new Superdrive) as standard while the entry level model will not. It just depends on whether they feel the timing is right given the recent delays. As far as Star Wars goes we will be seeing it on Blu-Ray but probably not for a couple years. Lucas wants to add even more CGI crap to them first. The original unaltered versions are being included on an upcoming DVD set but they are using the same transfers used for the Laserdisc/VHS release many years ago. It's not even anamorphic widescreen. I'm sure they must have a copy stored digitally of the original unaltered version as they would need to have had something as a starting point for the not so special editions.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #975 of 2106
There are too many component shortages for Apple to make Blu-Ray a standard item on any Mac Pro.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #976 of 2106
Yes, shortages..............that's why Sony has released a Blu-ray laptop model, because of the shortages.
post #977 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by aircft.sys.spec.
Yes, shortages..............that's why Sony has released a Blu-ray laptop model, because of the shortages.

And this rebuttal somehow refutes my poin? The Sony VAIO is $3500 meaning that it's in the strata of laptops that has the least amount of sales.

The Mac Pro will be a volume product with much higher expected sales and the form factor of the drives themselves. The issues with shortage of components will rear their head when Sony ships he PS3 in Nov. Note that a few BD player vendors are delaying their euro launch to 2007. Why would they do this? Component availability is a likely scenario.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #978 of 2106
Quote:
And this rebuttal somehow refutes my poin? The Sony VAIO is $3500 meaning that it's in the strata of laptops that has the least amount of sales.

The Mac Pro will be a volume product with much higher expected sales and the form factor of the drives themselves. The issues with shortage of components will rear their head when Sony ships he PS3 in Nov. Note that a few BD player vendors are delaying their euro launch to 2007. Why would they do this? Component availability is a likely scenario.

And to be fair, HD DVD will be a victim of these shortages as well, as they too use the same type of blue laser diodes.

But on the bright side, at least Sony is one of the two (the other being Nichia or something) manufacturers of such diodes which poses well for the PS3.
post #979 of 2106
Disney to release Blu-ray titles as well as new Blu-ray short titles...

http://news.com.com/Disney+to+shoot+...3-6094737.html
Quote:
Raising the bar in the Blu-ray Disc vs. HD DVD battle, Walt Disney is creating a series of short films to be shot in high-definition to accompany select films the company will release in the Blu-ray format.

It's the first move by any studio to develop original content for the Sony-developed Blu-ray format, a step observers feel is critical to giving the format the upper edge over Toshiba's rival HD DVD.

Finding a successor to standard DVD is a key issue in Hollywood, as 28 million U.S. households are expected to have high-definition televisions by the end of this year, and packaged media desperately needs a seat at that table.

The latest projections are that high-definition discs could generate $10 billion in annual consumer spending by 2010, keeping home entertainment spending level despite continued and rapid encroachment by digital downloading.

The "Blu-Scape" shorts will be shot by cinematographer Louie Schwartzberg, who two years ago directed a theatrical feature film, "America's Heart & Soul," for Walt Disney Pictures.

Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment unit is expected to announce on Monday its first nine titles in the next-generation Blu-ray Disc format, coming in two waves, beginning Sept. 19. Five of them--Walt Disney Pictures' "Dinosaur," "Eight Below," "Glory Road" and "Haunted Mansion," along with Touchstone Pictures' "Gone in Sixty Seconds"--will come with the exclusive shorts, which the studio says will be "inspired" by the respective films.

"Dinosaur" and "Eight Below" are slated for September 19 release, along with Miramax Films' "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" and "The Great Raid."

The second wave of titles, due October 17, includes "Glory Road, "Haunted Mansion" and "Gone in Sixty Seconds," as well as Touchstone's "Dark Water" and Dimension Films' "The Brothers Grimm."

Most Buena Vista Blu-ray titles will list for $34.99.

At launch, Buena Vista's Blu-ray titles will feature advanced new menus, with seamless navigation and settings that can be accessed while the movie is playing. They also will come with new layering coating technology that provides a scratch-resistant surface.

In other news:
With Core 2 Duo, Intel again No. 1
Volume control for indie music
FBI grapples with outdated computers
News.com Extra: UFO gathering draws believers and belittlers
Video: Dell's new gaming desktop
Still being developed: more groundbreaking interactive features; personalized chapter selections; and compelling online content, including Web connectivity that will enable users to connect to live events hosted by the studio.

Buena Vista's expected announcement will make it the fourth studio to announce titles and release dates for Blu-ray, tipping the scale in favor of the format. Warner Home Video weighed in last week with four titles, while Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Lionsgate have both been releasing Blu-ray products since late June.

Only three studios are releasing HD DVD products: Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Paramount Home Entertainment and Warner.

Paramount and Twentieth Century Fox Film are expected to announce their inaugural Blu-ray lineups shortly.

Do some HD DVD fanboys still think Disney is going to release in HD DVD?......Doesn't look probable. This fall ought to be awesome indeed for the Blu-ray format.
post #980 of 2106
Quote:
Do some HD DVD fanboys still think Disney is going to release in HD DVD?......Doesn't look probable. This fall ought to be awesome indeed for the Blu-ray format.

Give it a rest. If you were more impartial then just how something "looks" to you would carry more weight. As of today you simply cannot see the forest through the trees.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #981 of 2106
Quote:
Give it a rest. If you were more impartial then just how something "looks" to you would carry more weight. As of today you simply cannot see the forest through the trees.

Irony in motion

post #982 of 2106
Quote:
Irony in motion

Show me one post where I've stated that I wouldn't buy Blu-Ray? I've always said the opposite. So where exactly does the irony enter into play?
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #983 of 2106
Quote:
Show me one post where I've stated that I wouldn't buy Blu-Ray? I've always said the opposite. So where exactly does the irony enter into play?

You may well be going to buy both but you also come across as a HD-DVD fanboy and quite anti-Bluray. Maybe that's not your intention but it's how it reads.

post #984 of 2106
Quote:
You may well be going to buy both but you also come across as a HD-DVD fanboy and quite anti-Bluray. Maybe that's not your intention but it's how it reads.

I know. I objected early to the whole "Why is HD DVD even around" hyperbole that I began to read.

Blu-Ray is going to be formidable. But right now HD DVD has set the bar. You get excellent quality for $499. I'm feeling more and more confident that Blu-Ray will close the gap a bit in price. I don't necesarily want to buy the PS3 for watching BD movies.

The format was has actually been good. Media costs are lower than expected and player pricing is lower (in the case of HD DVD)

I think things are progressing nicely. And quite honestly I'm disappointed with Universal, Fox, Buena Vista/Disney, Lions Gate, MGM and Columbia and any other studio that has chosen sides. Let the consumer decide.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #985 of 2106
Quote:
Irony in motion

Hehehehe.
post #986 of 2106
A review of the "testy" Qosmio notebook from Toshiba...

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...714_884874.htm
Quote:
Toshiba's Testy Qosmio

There is some fine viewing to be done on this laptop. Too bad its makers didn't fix the HD-DVD features before bringing it to market

The Good: Excellent screen and sound for movies
The Bad: Fails to take full advantage of advanced HD-DVD features
The Bottom Line: Excellent computing and viewing capabilities don't quite compensate for HD-DVD glitches

The answer to one of the most burning questions in digital entertainmentBlu-ray or HD-DVD?will be determined at least in part on your computer screen. Backers of each technology are rushing to market with machines that play their respective brand of disk while handling a full range of computing tasks.

Recently we looked at the Blu-ray camp's notebook, the Sony (SNE) Vaio AR Premium, and judged the video quality from the Blu-ray disk excellent, but probably not good enough to entice most people to shell out $3,500 for that alone (see BusinessWeek.com, 6/19/06, "Sony's Pretty, Pricey Picture").

Having spent time with the notebook from the other campToshiba's HD-DVD capable Qosmio G35-AV650we're again impressed with the quality of the video and again wondering if the price is worth the added HD-DVD features at this stage of the game.

AT THE MOVIES. Like the Vaio, the Toshiba (TOSBF) Qosmio is a desktop-replacement class machine that boasts a huge 17-inch screen and weighs in at a hefty 10 pounds. It's one of the machines I consider portable, but not really mobile.

Since a big part of the reason for considering the Qosmio is watching videos, let me start there. For watching movies on a large-screen notebook PC, the Qosmio's screen is simply the best I've seen in this product class. There are no dead zones where the image is darker around the edges; the brightnessoften low on rival machinesis suitably high; and images from even standard definition DVDs are crisp, fluid, and excellent.

The sound is great too. The machine boasts a pair of powerful Harmon Kardon speakers embedded in the body just below the screen and, when turned up to maximum volume, they will fill a small room adequately.

HD FALLS SHORT. As usual, Toshiba is kind enough to put a silver volume control to the right of the keyboard, making it easy to change the sound on the fly without needing to muck about with a mouse or search for a hard-to-find volume button. It's in areas like thisas well as the placement of media controls along the top of the keyboardbuttonswhere Toshiba's expertise in the consumer electronics business shines through.

But when it comes to taking advantage of HD-DVD capabilities, the Qosmio comes up short. First, we tried out a demo disk supplied by Toshiba that had trailers and other content. It looked great, and once video playback began, it went without a hitch. But loading up the disk didn't go as smoothly. I wasn't able to get the HD-DVD to play automatically on insertion. And after opening the play program manually, it took half a minute before play began.

The demo disk also didn't have one of HD-DVD's cool new features: the ability to pull up and click through the title menu at any time during playback without stopping the video. So I popped in another HD-DVD I had lying around, Enter the Dragon. Although it worked most of the time, I had trouble getting the title menus to pop up during playback.

Worse, I wasn't able to click any of the menus at all with my cursor and was forced to use the keyboard. Perhaps of even greater concern is that some HD-DVDs failed to play properly.

KEYBOARD ISSUES. We understand these problems stem from the bundled "WinDVD HD" for Toshiba software, rather than the drive, and software upgrades aimed at improving performance are available from Toshiba. Still, we're left with the impression that the Qosmio's HD-DVD features weren't quite ready for prime time. And unlike the Vaio, the Qosmio's drive is read-only, so you won't be doing any recording (though at $2,999, it's priced about $500 less than the Vaio).

Nor was I impressed with the keyboard. The keys are flat-topped, so as I typed, my hands lost their bearings a bit, yielding lots of typos. This is strange because Toshiba has so often excelled at producing notebook keyboards.

As with other machines in its class, this one runs Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows XP Media Center Edition, so it serves as a repository for all of your digital music and video files. It will also connect to your TV set-top box to display and record your favorite shows.

WHAT'S INSIDE. It's got a sizable 200 GB worth of hard drive space to handle pretty much whatever you want to store. Of the machines in this class tested so far, this isn't the biggest storage capacityFujitsu still reigns supreme there with 320 GBbut it beats Dell's (DELL) XPS M1710.

Internally, this Qosmio is impressive as well. There's an Intel (INTC) Core Duo T2500 processor rated at 2 GHz an Nvidia (NVDA) GeForce Go 7600 for handling graphics. The Qosmio boasts some fine computing and display features. But it carries a high price tag for a machine that has yet to work out its HD-DVD kinks this early in the next-gen format wars.
post #987 of 2106
Blu-ray burner: I-O Data BRD-UM2/U review...

http://www.pcworld.ca/news/article/7...cdde5f/pg1.htm
Quote:
Although its price is far from economical, the BRD-UM2/U has good performance, a stylish design and solid features. PC World Canada rating: 87, Very Good.

The trickle of Blu-ray Disc devices continues with I-O Data's BRD-UM2/U, the second PC Blu-ray burner to be put through its paces in the PC World Test Center. With its well-rounded specs and solid software bundle, this external USB 2.0 drive is a fine choice for early-adopter consumers and professionals alike.

Form and function
The drive itself is handsome, sporting a dark chassis with an elegant bevel design, and the Blu-ray Disc logo prominently displayed on the top surface. The rear section of the drive is ventilated; at the back, you'll also find the power switch.

Inside, the unit incorporates the Matshita (Panasonic) SW-5582 internal BD drive. Unlike the first Blu-ray Disc PC recorder that we evaluated, the Pioneer BDR-101A, this model supports the full gamut of optical CD, DVD and Blu-ray Disc recording. Its specs do match those of the Pioneer model in some respects: 2X BD-R (write-once) and BD-RE (rewritable) write speed, 2X BD-R/RE read speed and up to 8X write speed on single-layer DVD-R and +R.

Speedy performer
Not surprisingly, the I-O Data drive's performance is strikingly similar to that of the Pioneer. It took 44 minutes, 27 seconds to master 22GB of data to BD-R, beating out the Pioneer unit by just 18 seconds. The I-O Data's rewrite (BD-RE) performance, however, was significantly slower than its write-once (BD-R) speed, as it took 97 minutes, 43 seconds to format a BD-RE disc and packet-write the same 22GB of data (we didn't test the BD-RE performance of the Pioneer drive, because it didn't ship with packet-writing software).

But, the I-O Data drive is the more versatile of the two. It supports double-layer BD-R and BD-RE, so you'll be ready when 50GB media reach store shelves sometime this summer. Plus, it supports reading and writing to CDs--although the CD-R write speed tops out at 24X--and reading and writing to DVD-RAM at 5X. Even the I-O Data unit's DVD+/-RW and dual-layer DVD+/-R write speeds are a notch higher.

Factor in its robust software bundle--which includes BD-specific versions of Ulead's DVD MovieWriter 4.7 (for video disc authoring) and InterVideo WinDVD, as well as customized versions of Ulead's Burn.Now 3 (for burning data, MP3, audio, and bootable discs) and InterVideo's WinDVD 5 (for VCD and DVD playback)--and the convenience of an external USB drive, and the I-O Data is a winner.
post #988 of 2106
Given that Apple has a foot in both camps (it already supports HD-DVD in DVD Studio Pro, as well as being a member of the Blu-Ray association), wouldn't it make more sense for them to wait until there is a viable hybrid drive available before including a high-def optical drive in its systems?

just a thought.

sennen
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #989 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by sennen
Given that Apple has a foot in both camps (it already supports HD-DVD in DVD Studio Pro, as well as being a member of the Blu-Ray association), wouldn't it make more sense for them to wait until there is a viable hybrid drive available before including a high-def optical drive in its systems?

just a thought.

sennen

If the Ricoh dual diode part works like it should then that is a distinct possiblity. Apple really has no axe to grind with any of the formats so I"m figuring they'll just be content to sell authoring tools for both.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #990 of 2106
i suppose that over the last couple of years i've got used to having my expectations raised reading the rumours/speculation and then being underwhelmed (unfairly, i admit) by apple announcements. that's why i think it might be premature to exect a hi-def burner in a mac before something is available to support both formats - although with a new product (the "Mac Pro"), it is a good opportunity to have the option there.

sennen.
post #991 of 2106
DVD SP doesn't support either yet, only HD footage on standard DVDs.

post #992 of 2106
Quote:
DVD SP doesn't support either yet, only HD footage on standard DVDs.

Something that made me curious was that there is an option to select a red laser or blue laser when burning from DVD SP. Is that perhaps a setting for a future update or something?
post #993 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin
Something that made me curious was that there is an option to select a red laser or blue laser when burning from DVD SP. Is that perhaps a setting for a future update or something?

Curious!

post #994 of 2106
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/23478.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Corp

Sony Electronics today unveiled its first internal Blu-ray Disc (BD) rewritable drive for the computer aftermarket.

The new drive(model BWU-100A) supports up to 50 GB of data on BD-R (write once) or BD-RE (rewritable) discs or up to four hours of high-definition video using HDV 1080i on a BD-RE 50GB disc. The new drive is capable of burning a full 25GB disc in about 50 minutes.

For personal content captured on a HDV camcorder, the BD drive is optimized for keeping the video in the native HDV 1080i for playback on home players compatible with BD-AV format and PCs with BD drives installed.

Sonys BD drive also supports recording of standard single layer 4.7GB DVD+R/+RW/RAM discs, 8.5GB DVD+R Double/Dual Layer Discs, and CDs, making it a multi-format burner.

Now consumers, professional videographers and filmmakers can store, record and experience the highest capacity of high-definition video available from capture to playback, said Bob DeMoulin, marketing manager for branded storage products in Sony Electronics IT Products Division. Our Blu-ray Disc drive represents a significant leap in storage technology.

The BWU-100A drive comes bundled with the CyberLink BD Solution® from Cyberlink Corporation, which provides a complete software application for capturing, authoring, editing and burning high-definition personal content captured by a HDV 1080i format camcorder onto BD discs. Video can also be down-converted to standard-definition resolution for burning onto DVDs.

The internal drive features an IDE (ATA/ATAPI) interface and standard 5.25-inch form factor for easy installation inside a PC.

Availability and Pricing

The recordable/rewritable drive will be available in August for about $750. Pre-orders are now being accepted at sonystyle.com

$750 not a bad price there. Definitely in the realm of an Apple BTO
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #995 of 2106
Quote:
DVD SP doesn't support either yet

and yet it is called DVD-SP4 (HD). From the manual p.38: "You can set the DVD standard to HD DVD..."

Quote:
only HD footage on standard DVDs.

which is HD-DVD, isn't it, as HD-DVD can be written to red laser discs?

and as mentioned, there is an option for burning with a blue laser, whether that amounts to support for blu-ray or not, i'm not sure. i personally haven't authored anything in HD, although someone i work with has, as a test only.

sennen.
post #996 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin

I got into an argument regarding this. You have the ability to due rather crude HD DVD authoring right now. There's a blue laser button. You can burn HD content to standard DVD but the current DVD SP 4 also allows you to target a 15GB space allotment that corresponds to Single Layer HD DVD disc. Of course no recorders are available but authoring doesn't always require the recorder of the destination format. In fact DLT drives were used to author many a DVD back in the days.

So my official explanation is that yes HD DVD support is in DVD SP 4 but until recorders come out and iHD and AACS are supported we are missing a lot of features that just weren't ready a year ago.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #997 of 2106
Quote:
I got into an argument regarding this.

you....! in an argument???

i dont believe it!
post #998 of 2106
Quote:
Originally posted by Trendannoyer
you....! in an argument???

i dont believe it!

I know...the irony.

My extended family is pretty large. My mother is one of seven siblings. Holidays are funny we enjoy food and company and then we argue about current events. Sometimes I forget that other people have vastly different upbringing where arguements did not happen. I come off really aggressive to these people. I have thick skin myself so I can handle a little heat back. The guys and gals on this board make me a smarter and more informed person and I'm thankful for that. If I can return the favor I try.

I'm going to ease back on promoting HD DVD vs Blu-Ray now because they're both shipping and the market will decide. Besides I'm going to end up with both players anyways so I don't to look like some hypocrite.

I actually enjoy arguing with Marzetta7 because he's as stubborn as I am. He's a standup guy though from what I've seen and we'd get along in person.

I'm getting pretty jazzed about this HD stuff. The pricing of 1080 HDTV and now the next wave of HD camcorders and recorders coming. The next couple of years will be fun seeing new product introductions.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #999 of 2106
Quote:
I actually enjoy arguing with Marzetta7 because he's as stubborn as I am. He's a standup guy though from what I've seen and we'd get along in person.

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis!?

I've enjoyed the debate and camaraderie as well, that is for sure. I'm naturally argumentative, as I get this from my mother. Darn genes!

Anyhow, despite the bantering back and forth, I think I've definitely gotten a deeper understanding into what both formats offer, and for that I'm grateful. Especially for the fact that Blu-ray will be victorious! Just playin...Ok not really. Hehehehe.

Anyhow, here's to interesting months ahead! [Where's the beer mug emoticon?]
post #1000 of 2106
Can you beat your mother in debate? My mother is far too slippery. When my grandfather was alive it was fun to watch them argue because parents never like losing arguments to their children.

I'm actually pretty happy to see Sony's BD-Recorder at $750. That's going to put pricing pressure on HD DVD Recorders as well as any other BD-Recorder.

I now know what Sony's AVCHD camcorders cost and offer. More incentive for me to cut my silly spending and get my HDTV.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)