or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Chrysler Group and Apple announce iPod integration

Chrysler Group and Apple announce iPod integration

post #1 of 42
The Chrysler Group on Sunday announced that it will be the first American automaker to provide full iPod integration as an option in most of its 2006 models, with over three million 2006 Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge models offering seamless iPod connectively beginning this spring.

Exhibiting at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week, the auto maker said drivers will be able to select and listen to their music by artist, album or playlist with either radio or steering wheel controls. Selections will also appear on the radio's display screen.

"We're thrilled that over three million Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge automobiles will offer great iPod connectivity in 2006," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "Over 40 percent of all cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod connectivity."

Chrysler joins 16 other auto makers that currently offer iPod integration in their vehicles.

"Customers have been asking for iPod connectivity and we're excited to make it available to so many of our vehicles in 2006," said Randy Ewers, director, Mopar Accessories Portfolio Team. "We're providing the largest number and range of automobiles with iPod support of any automaker, allowing Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge owners to bring and listen to their entire music collections."

The optional iPod Integration Kit for Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge model lines will be available to customers for US$175 plus installation. In addition, the solution can be retrofit to many model year 2005 vehicles, Chrysler said.
post #2 of 42
How far away then is Mercedes Benz?

edit: They already do!

Rock on Apple!!!
post #3 of 42
About time!!!

Why the Americans are so slow...
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
How far away then is Mercedes Benz?

edit: They already do!

Rock on Apple!!!

I was going to say that if the new 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid had iPod integration, it would be the perfect car. But after seeing your edit, I did a search and apparently they do, too!
post #5 of 42
Give it a year or two and a majority of cars will have a solution one way or another because iPods in the car is a serious feature people want and those that provide are gonna start selling more cars. Competition will be good for iPod owners everywhere.
post #6 of 42
Gah! I drive a 2004 Chrysler!

Oh well, I'll just have to use the integration deal I got for Christmas.
post #7 of 42
Fantastic. Now, would one of you car manufacturers be so bold as to provide an actual dock instead of a glove box plug?
post #8 of 42
Sweet, I want a new PT Cruiser, and really wanted an integrated solution!
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #9 of 42
Sweet fancy Moses! 16th in line, and this is still news. Why in the screaming hell don't American car manufacturers at least ATTEMPT to look less like dinosaurs run by clueless drone clones and idiots!

I bought VW and never looked back... although I'd prefer Audi!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 42
There´s a typo here, Kaspar...

Wrong:
"Chrysler joins 16 other auto makers that currently offer iPod integration in their veichles. "

Right:
" -I´ll let our senses work here :3 -"

Funny though, this sounds pretty "austrish" - "veichles".
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
post #11 of 42
How much would it cost to get a HUD installed in a car? Having a HUD would make scrolling through songs/artists/podcasts/etc a lot easier. I also agree with the poster that says the iPod needs to come out of the glove box. There should be a way to insert the iPod into the stereo, and do not tell me there is no room, because I am old enough to remember 8-track tapes. There could be a one size fits all exterior case that goes into the stereo, but there would be different inserts to hold the different model iPods securely.
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
I bought VW and never looked back... although I'd prefer Audi!

No offense, but VW has to be the only other car manufacturer with worse build quality than the Americans. Shoulda got the Audi.
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
No offense, but VW has to be the only other car manufacturer with worse build quality than the Americans. Shoulda got the Audi.

Considering VW and Audi are the same corporation and use the exact same platforms, that seems like nonsense.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga

That may be true of the newer models, but mine is a year 2000. No major problems (other than getting scratched and dented by several other careless drivers). Generally happy with it, and it even saved my life helping avoid hitting a drive shaft at about 75 mph on the freeway. (Missed the drive shaft, spun around 180 degrees, and ended up on the side of the road with no damage! I'll never forget that.)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Considering VW and Audi are the same corporation and use the exact same platforms, that seems like nonsense.

false. stop spreading ignorance. same parent doesnt mean the same quality. look at dodge and mercedes.
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
Sweet, I want a new PT Cruiser

umm...no offense, but...why???

post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by _ alliance _
false. stop spreading ignorance. same parent doesnt mean the same quality. look at dodge and mercedes.

Good point, and in fact a Dodge Neon and a Mercedes have nothing at all in common.

But in fact the original poster was right, in that the VW Golf, Jetta,and Passat, and the Audi A3 and A4 share a *lot* in common, including engines. So engineering-wise, they're very similar cars (although of course Audis have that touch of smoothness and class that you pay a pretty penny for).

Most VWs, however, are built in Mexico and in the earlier years of that the build quality did suffer (the Jetta wagon has always been built in Germany--with Polish and other eastern European parts). Audis are for the most part built in Germany, but again with a world-sourced part bin!

P.S.--I particularly liked the earlier comment about American car companies being dinosaurs. It's so true, and so sad.
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
Good point, and in fact a Dodge Neon and a Mercedes have nothing at all in common.

But in fact the original poster was right, in that the VW Golf, Jetta,and Passat, and the Audi A3 and A4 share a *lot* in common, including engines. So engineering-wise, they're very similar cars (although of course Audis have that touch of smoothness and class that you pay a pretty penny for).

Most VWs, however, are built in Mexico and in the earlier years of that the build quality did suffer (the Jetta wagon has always been built in Germany--with Polish and other eastern European parts). Audis are for the most part built in Germany, but again with a world-sourced part bin!

P.S.--I particularly liked the earlier comment about American car companies being dinosaurs. It's so true, and so sad.

yes, my point actually was along the lines of what you said, but i failed to elaborate. yes, they share the same parts for the most part, but the build quality is pretty much a different story. i would never buy a VW (the phaeton caused the build quality of the jetta and passat to turn to shit the last few years) and they are just now starting to turn things around. but...i would buy an audi. completely different quality background.

post #19 of 42
Truth be told all of Dodge new cars (Viper, 300, Magnum, Charger (Neon was discontinued as September)) are built with the exact transmissions as MB and all suspension and brake systems are MB. Exact specs as any MB just larger designs for the larger cars. Dont believe me check it out for yourself ... Dodge is not American any longer. The only car left in design that still has American influence is the upcoming Challenger, which has SRT-10 6.8 Magnum, 5 speed and rear wheel posi-trac rear axle. MB gave them the freedom to compete against the upcoming release of the all-new Camaro. All this info will be displayed at the Detroit auto show this week.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by _ alliance _
umm...no offense, but...why???

No offense taken I love my current PT, you can fit four adults comfortably in it, fold up the back and stick all kinds of gear in it, and it so small that parking is a breeze. Plus I like the look of it. But to each their own.
post #21 of 42
If I had to choose between a VW and an AUDI, I would most probably take neither. You pay way too much for the name of AUDI (at least here in Austria). As for VW, you can find easily cars with comparable features (including Skoda which is owned by VW and shares platforms as well) for considerable less money.
If I had the money for a decent car I would go for a BMW, but on the other side, if I pay that much I could go for a LEXUS either.
Does LEXUS have an ipod-integration? (nice trick to get back on topic )
copeland
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by DGNR8
Truth be told all of Dodge new cars (Viper, 300, Magnum, Charger (Neon was discontinued as September)) are built with the exact transmissions as MB and all suspension and brake systems are MB. Exact specs as any MB just larger designs for the larger cars. Dont believe me check it out for yourself ... Dodge is not American any longer. The only car left in design that still has American influence is the upcoming Challenger, which has SRT-10 6.8 Magnum, 5 speed and rear wheel posi-trac rear axle. MB gave them the freedom to compete against the upcoming release of the all-new Camaro. All this info will be displayed at the Detroit auto show this week.

More truth is that several Chrysler and dodge cars have the same chasis AND MOTORS. This is only true for the C-Class though.

Signed,

Happy C-Class owner...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #23 of 42
I don't care about Chrysler!! I have a Mazda and there is only 1 (and I care barely say that) source for integration. My stupid Ice>link for my Mazda doesn't even work right!! I paid over $200 for the connection only to have it screw up my Car stereo and work "sometimes"!!!

Call me when you have some REAL news for me Apple. Until then,
post #24 of 42
(Vain attempt to drag this thread back on topic and away from a car comparing flame-war.)

Is the iPod connector & interface an open standard? "Open" as in other people can use it. Or is it purely proprietary to Apple? For example, could Creative create a player that hooked into one of these iPod connectors?

- Jasen.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by jasenj1
(Vain attempt to drag this thread back on topic and away from a car comparing flame-war.)

Is the iPod connector & interface an open standard? "Open" as in other people can use it. Or is it purely proprietary to Apple? For example, could Creative create a player that hooked into one of these iPod connectors?

- Jasen.

For Mercedes is not open, from what the guys on the mb forums have tinkered with.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by copeland
[B]If I had to choose between a VW and an AUDI, I would most probably take neither.

That's an oxymoron.

If you HAD to choose between the two, you would HAVE to take one or the other.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
That's an oxymoron.

That's what it's called if you don't know what you're doing.

If you do know what you're doing (and I think the original poster did), it's called creative license.
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
That's what it's called if you don't know what you're doing.

If you do know what you're doing (and I think the original poster did), it's called creative license.

You accused ME of being political!
post #29 of 42
I'm pretty annoyed that all of these car kits cost so much. $175 plus installation is pretty absurd, even $175 including installation is a bit much, especially for the low quality that I've heard. It's a shame that factory or dealer car audio accessories cost more and are often lower quality than third party.

I'd rather spend the money to dump the stock radio and put in one with a 3.5mm jack so it isn't iPod proprietary.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I'm pretty annoyed that all of these car kits cost so much. $175 plus installation is pretty absurd, even $175 including installation is a bit much, especially for the low quality that I've heard. It's a shame that factory or dealer car audio accessories cost more and are often lower quality than third party.

I'd rather spend the money to dump the stock radio and put in one with a 3.5mm jack so it isn't iPod proprietary.

You can get a nice Alpine stereo with iPod and Aux-in inputs. A little more than $175, but beats the pants off even "deluxe" car manufacturer stereos.
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
That's an oxymoron.

If you HAD to choose between the two, you would HAVE to take one or the other.

Some times you are reading it too close; word for word, but ok I could have taken more care in what I write (I know one should always take care).

copeland
post #32 of 42
YOU ARE ALL LOSERS, YOU SPEND ALL YOUR TIME DEBATING ABOUT CARS THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN AFFORD. AND JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW, CARS ARE USED FOR GETTING FROM A TO B, NOT FOR EGO WANKING.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by kylephoto760
Gah! I drive a 2004 Chrysler!

Oh well, I'll just have to use the integration deal I got for Christmas.

Although Chrysler isn't marketing it as such, the interface will work with pretty much any Chrysler Radio with a J1850 interface. For the most part, this includes 2002 vehicles and later - though some 2005 and later vehicles use the newer CAN bus, which it is not compatible with.

I've actually installed one of these interfaces in my wife's '97 Caravan along with a 2004 Chrysler RAZ radio using a special harness between the vehicle and the radio.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by John_Christos@hotmail.com
YOU ARE ALL LOSERS, YOU SPEND ALL YOUR TIME DEBATING ABOUT CARS THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN AFFORD. AND JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW, CARS ARE USED FOR GETTING FROM A TO B, NOT FOR EGO WANKING.

This is the internet. We can hear you just fine, even though you are all the way across the world.

You don't have to shout. It makes my fingers hurt.
post #35 of 42
Yeah baby iPod this

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by troberts
How much would it cost to get a HUD installed in a car? Having a HUD would make scrolling through songs/artists/podcasts/etc a lot easier. I also agree with the poster that says the iPod needs to come out of the glove box. There should be a way to insert the iPod into the stereo, and do not tell me there is no room, because I am old enough to remember 8-track tapes. There could be a one size fits all exterior case that goes into the stereo, but there would be different inserts to hold the different model iPods securely.

With this interface the factory radio supports the type of browsing you describe.

As far as the manufacturers providing a means to plug the iPod into the radio, that's not likely to happen. The development cycle for a car radio is on the order of two years or longer. Since the iPod interface is proprietary, and there's a new version of the iPod every six months or so, no car manufacturer is likely to commit to developing a radio that works only with a single, third party MP3 player. The external interface allows them the flexibility to quickly (relative) add support for another manufacturer's MP3 player, and the glove box plug means they don't have to retool every time Apple comes out with a new case.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by jasenj1

- Jasen.

The connector and the protocol to talk to the iPod are both proprietary and licensed. You can only buy the connector from one source, and only if you are licensed by Apple to do so. The communications protocl to talk to control the iPod is specific to it. One of the advantages the iPod has over other MP3 players is that it has the control interface that no other manufacturer does.
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally posted by InterfaceDeveloper
Although Chrysler isn't marketing it as such, the interface will work with pretty much any Chrysler Radio with a J1850 interface. For the most part, this includes 2002 vehicles and later - though some 2005 and later vehicles use the newer CAN bus, which it is not compatible with.

I've actually installed one of these interfaces in my wife's '97 Caravan along with a 2004 Chrysler RAZ radio using a special harness between the vehicle and the radio.

Does it display song title and artist information?
www.mist-houston.org Mopars In South Texas
post #39 of 42
It shows the song name, artist, and album. On the RB1 navigation radio it also shows the playlist or genre playing.

It allows you to browse by Playlist, Artist, Album or Genre. On the RBK radio, which has no text display, it uses voice announcements to help you browse.
post #40 of 42
Thanks for the reply! I ordered one last weekend, should get to me around the 25th!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Chrysler Group and Apple announce iPod integration