or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › computer completely messed up!!!!!! pleeeease help!

computer completely messed up!!!!!! pleeeease help! - Page 2

post #41 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
i have a blank CDR in my computer but when i click on mail.zip, for example (on my desktop) and go to the file dropdown, the option to "burn disc" is faded so i cannot choose it.

Do you see an icon of a CD on you desktop? If not, click on the Finder menu and chhose Preferences. Click on General (the light switch), if it's not already selected. Click the check box next to CDs, DVDs and iPods. Yu should now see an icon of the blank CD on you desktop. drag you ZIP files to the CD icon. When you've dragged everything that you want to burn to the CD drag it, the CD icon, to the Trash in the dock. Don't be concerned. The trash can will turn to a Burn icon (yellow and black circle). The CD will burn. When it's completed drag the CD icon to the trash again. This time it will turn in to an Eject icon and the CD will eject.

If you have some extra money you might want to consider purchasing and installing Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger instead on reinstalling Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #42 of 141
Back from the pub. Yay! we won! That never happens...

Yes, I suppose that I agree that your user accounts suddenly become non-administrators could be a symptom of wider problems. I'm going to keep on reading about the nicl util 'cos I'm a geek so find that kind of thing interesting. I'll post what I find here and then erica can make her own decision about how to continue.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #43 of 141
There is NO NEED to do a clean install yet.

Even if you do a clean install, you only need to back up your data and documents, not the applications that come with OS X - those will be replaced when you do the install. So you do not need to back up the Mail application or Safari or any of those - only things in your Home folder.

You said there was no option to do an archive and install - let me boot my Install DVD so I can tell you where to select that option.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #44 of 141
OK, the installer does allow an Archive and Install.

Stop backing up stuff now and try this:

- Boot from the System CD/DVD by holding down the "c" key.
- Choose English as the language.
- Follow the prompts UNTIL YOU SEE THE SCREEN WHERE IT SAYS "SELECT A DESTINATION FOR THE INSTALL" and has images of disks.
- IN THE LOWER LEFT CORNER OF THAT SCREEN, CLICK THE BUTTON THAT SAYS "Options...".
- Click the radio button that says Archive and Install. Check also to Save Network and Preferences Information or whatever the Panther disk says.

- Continue with the Install.

That's it!
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #45 of 141
oh, that is alot of good news! (that you don't think i need to do the clean install yet and that even if i do need to later, i don't have to burn EVERYTHING!!)

but suppose i do need to do the clean install. i know, for example, that itunes came with my computer - but i want to save all of the music that i have imported already. do i need to physically go in and burn discs of every single thing in there? that would not only take f o r e v e r but i would need about 50 more cd's. am i just able to choose itunes from the finder menu and burn that do disc? or will that only copy the basic application without my music? (same question goes for my emails in mail, and photo's in iphoto.

thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
There is NO NEED to do a clean install yet.

Even if you do a clean install, you only need to back up your data and documents, not the applications that come with OS X - those will be replaced when you do the install. So you do not need to back up the Mail application or Safari or any of those - only things in your Home folder.

You said there was no option to do an archive and install - let me boot my Install DVD so I can tell you where to select that option.
post #46 of 141
Try the Archive and Install first. You don't need to backup ANYTHING to do that - it saves everything.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #47 of 141
okay, i am going to try the archive and install. keep your fingers crossed for me!

Quote:
Try the Archive and Install first. You don't need to backup ANYTHING to do that - it saves everything.
post #48 of 141
OK, I have the answer!

ncil is the way to go to restore admin privileges. I was sure that I'd come across people doing this before (losing admin privileges randomly), there is a bit of info out there about how to fix the problem, in varying depth.

e.g. here and here

personally, I'm still really intrigued as to whether you can fix the problem in single-user mode, but there's no way I'm going to force you to do something you're not comfortable with.

Like I said before, I would strongly advise you (and anyone else, incidentally) to backup your data, however you proceed. Hard drives can and do fail, sometimes without warning. The easiest thing to do is get an external hard drive, and also to burn really important things to CD, too.

So you have instructions on how to do an Archive and install. Here is what I would suggest if you want to try and fix the problem in single-user mode:

1. When logged-in to OS X proper, go to the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder and launch "NetInfo Manager". It should look like this:

click on "groups" and check to see if "admin" is present in the right-most column.

2. Reboot into single user-mode and run the fsck and mount commands.

3. Back up the net-info database by running the following command:

cp /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.bak

(this duplicates the netinfo database to a file named local.nidb.bak)

4. Run the following command:

nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb

this launches the "nicl" utility in interactive mode.

5. ONLY DO THIS IF ADMIN NOT PRESENT IN STEP 1:

run the following commands (you are now in nicl) (by typing each line and pressing return)

-create /groups/admin
-create /groups/admin passwd *
-create /groups/admin gid 80

this creates the admin group with the required settings.

6. DO THIS WHATEVER:

you are still in nicl, run the following commands:

-append /groups/admin users your_shortname
-quit

7. You will now be back at the command prompt. Reboot, and you should find that you are an Admin once again.
post #49 of 141
Excellent Mr. H.

You can indeed browse NetInfo Manager without authenticating, so that will work to check for the presence of the Admin group.

If the Archive and Install somehow fails (I don't see how it could, but this is a weird case), then she should use nicl.

The admonitions to do a clean install are misplaced. I would never advise someone to do a clean install unless I was on the phone with them and I also had an Apple Remote Access connection so I could see what stuff they needed to back up. If all she has is CDs, she'll go insane trying to back all that stuff up.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #50 of 141
Quote:
Excellent Mr. H.

You can indeed browse NetInfo Manager without authenticating, so that will work to check for the presence of the Admin group.

If the Archive and Install somehow fails (I don't see how it could, but this is a weird case), then she should use nicl.

The admonitions to do a clean install are misplaced. I would never advise someone to do a clean install unless I was on the phone with them and I also had an Apple Remote Access connection so I could see what stuff they needed to back up. If all she has is CDs, she'll go insane trying to back all that stuff up.

Thank you. I agree that an archive and install is the way to go. To be honest, if it was my machine, I'd probably do the ncil stuff first, and even if it did work, I'd then do an archive and install. (I'd rely on ncil fixing the problem if I new exactly why my admin privileges had disappeared. Stuff randomly changing for no good reason is altogether different)

Also, yes, backing up everything to CD would be crazy. When you've only got CDs, it's best to back up only those things which are truly irreplaceable (i.e. self-created documents such as theses, books, hair-brained schemes etc... and maybe things like star-ratings in iTunes if you've rated all 6137 songs in your library), rather than stuff that would just take a long time to re-create such as music ripped from CD.

edit: should that be hair-brained or hare-brained? I suppose the later makes more sense. Both get a lot of hits in google.
post #51 of 141
okay you guys, OF COURSE i ran into a problem during the archive and install.

i was able to get to the archive and install option (thank you so much lundy) however it says i need about 530 more MB of space to do the install. it gives me the option to uncheck some of the installation items or it says i can quit and remove some things before rebooting and trying again. soooooo, i quit and was going to remove some things i NEVER use (garageband, stickies,...etc) but, i need an admin password to get rid of these things.

i the archive and install page that gave me the option to get rid of some things to install, there was the option to uncheck "BSD-subsystem" do i need that? also i don't have a printer, so if i remove the printer instalation that might make a difference - would i still be able to reinstall something like that if i do get a printer in the future?

thanks! (and by the way, you guys have been so fast with the responses! very impressive)

oh, i forgot, i was able to put "microsoft office x test drive" in the trash but i'm not sure how much space that took up anyway.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #52 of 141
Quote:
i the archive and install page that gave me the option to get rid of some things to install, there was the option to uncheck "BSD-subsystem" do i need that?

Hell yes. To be honest, I've always been a bit confused why they have that option. OS X is pretty useless without it.

Quote:
also i don't have a printer, so if i remove the printer instalation that might make a difference - would i still be able to reinstall something like that if i do get a printer in the future?

Yes, printer drivers can be surprisingly large, and yes, you could always download and install drivers for any printer you may get in the future.

Quote:
oh, i forgot, i was able to put "microsoft office x test drive" in the trash but i'm not sure how much space that took up anyway.

probably quite a bit of space. Empty the trash, and re-try the archive and install, de-selecting printer drivers. If there still isn't enough space, it looks like you'll have to try nicl, hope that works, and use the admin privileges to delete some more stuff before trying archive and install again.
post #53 of 141
Quote:
okay you guys, OF COURSE i ran into a problem during the archive and install.

i was able to get to the archive and install option (thank you so much lundy) however it says i need about 530 more MB of space to do the install.

Sheesh. Your hard drive is almost full. Well at least we know that backing it up on CDs would have taken until 2009.

You can delete stuff from the single-user environment.... but we will have to walk you through it, as one typo and Kab00M.

EDIT: also remove all the languages that you don't need if it offers that option.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #54 of 141
uh oh, you guys...this is not good...the reason i didn't respond last night was because i couldn't get back in the account. here is a play by play:

-after i put some small files in the trash that the computer didn't need an admin password for, i rebooted from the cd and did a archive and install (i made sure to have the box checked that preserved all of my current accounts and settings and then i unchecked the printer installation as well as some languages).

-the computer did a restart after the archive and install

-a login window popped up that said:

erica's computer
login:
password:
i tried entering my old login and password but it didn't work.

then i clicked a button at the bottom that said "go back"
which had said other accounts so i clicked that and it brought me to another login screen. i tried to put in my old login and password again...but it didn't work.

-so, when i could't log in, i remembered that there were a few ways i could go try to change a password. so, here is what i did:

-rebooted from the cd
-chose "reset password" from the dropdown
-chose mac hard drive
-clicked on the dropdown so i could choose my name and change the password
-the dropdown menu did not have my name in it, it only had "system administrator(root)" and "Application Server (appserver)"

-so i rebooted in single user mode to get a list of usernames and try to change my password that way... here is what i did:

/sbin/fsck -yf
/sbin/mount -uw /
/usr/libexec/register_mach_bootstrap_servers/etc/mach_init.d
cd/var/db/netinfo
netinfod -s local
niutil -list . /users

(this gave me a list of about 12 names - NONE being mine or any i recognized so i chose "root")

passwd -i netinfo root

i entered a password twice and rebooted

-login screen came up after reboot

-entered root as user name and new password in the password section

-it was able to log me in but none of my old stuff was there and when i went into system preferences to see if my old accounts were still showing in the "accounts" area, i saw that they were not.

-i was going to go online from that account to tell you what happened but when i tried to , it said i didn't have enough space or memory or something to open internet explorer. but doesn't that mean that all of my old stuff must be there somewhere???? i mean if my computer is that full than it has to be, it couldn't have disapeared and still be that full...right????????

i am pretty nervous.

thank you so much for your help! if you have any ideas...ANY at all, i would love so much to hear them. i will be checking back all day from work for any ideas you might have. again, i am so lucky to have found you here and i am thankful for everything you have done already!!!!!!! i look forward from hearing from you soon!!

-
post #55 of 141
Hi Erica,

mmmm... this could be bad, it could not be. With only CDs to back up to, I suggest that we try and patch things up rather than resorting to a clean install just yet. Having said that, you have backed up irreplaceable files, right?

The archive and install process does exactly that: everything that was on the hard-drive has been archived, and a new installation has been created "by the side", as it were, of the old one. So everything is still on your computer. I don't know exactly where the installer archives stuff to, though. Presumably there should be something in the root of your hard drive that looks promising.

At least you can log in as a user that has administrative privileges.

BE WARNED: when logged in as root, you can do ANYTHING. Be very careful.

My guess is that when you did the archive and install, and the installer came to copy your accounts across, the netinfo database was all screwey, it panicked and ended up not creating any "normal" users. Also, as we know, your hard drive is almost completely full. This is not a great scenario, it's a good idea to have around 1 gig free hard drive space.

I'd suggest logging in as root and deleting applications such as garageband that you don't use. Actually, start with just garage band because it's huge:

In the applications folder, find Garage Band and move it to the trash. Now, find the folder /library/application support/ (note that that path has no ~, i.e., I'm talking about the library folder that's at the root of your hard drive). In there will be a folder named Garage Band. Move that to the trash as well. Now empty the trash.

You will now have easily enough space to create a new user. Open system prefs. and go to Accounts. At the bottom of the (empty) list on the left is a "+" button. Press it, and enter the name and password details. Then press the "security" tab, and make sure that "allow user to administer this computer" is ticked.

As soon as you've done that, log out, and log back in as the new user that you've just created. (you don't want to be root for any longer than necessary IMHO)

Let us know how it goes. (if that works, it's not quite the end of getting everything back to normal - you'll still need to copy your settings over from the old account)
post #56 of 141
Quote:
-it was able to log me in but none of my old stuff was there and when i went into system preferences to see if my old accounts were still showing in the "accounts" area, i saw that they were not.

-i was going to go online from that account to tell you what happened but when i tried to , it said i didn't have enough space or memory or something to open internet explorer. but doesn't that mean that all of my old stuff must be there somewhere???? i mean if my computer is that full than it has to be, it couldn't have disapeared and still be that full...right????????
...-

As far as i understand, you have successfully managed to do
an "Archiv & Install".
Than you've changed/reset password, logged in as root, looked up
your stuff/account, if it is showing up. But you didn't see them.

Do you see on the top level directory a folder entitled with
"previous system" and/or "deleted (or previous) user"?

Anyway...

I'd do a reboot and perform a "fsck -f". Reboot, hold down
CMD key (the key with the Apple logo) and the "S" key simultaniously.

After a certain time, the start up process stops and you are able
to type in text.

Type in "fsck -f", hit enter, wait some time. Repeat this activity until
you read the line: "This computer appears to be OK". Than type in
"reboot", hit enter. Computer will reboot.

Btw, have you previously moved your home directory (the folder with the
funny house icon) manually out of the "User" folder? I had a talk to some
friend and mentioned this peculiarity. He said, particularly the only reason
this mess happens, when some user tries to delete an user-account by the
Finder AND/OR move the private folder out. Perhaps the answer helps
others in their efforts to fix this ... er ... issue.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #57 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
My guess is that when you did the archive and install, and the installer came to copy your accounts across, the netinfo database was all screwey, it panicked and ended up not creating any "normal" users. Also, as we know, your hard drive is almost completely full. This is not a great scenario, it's a good idea to have around 1 gig free hard drive space.

Good. How do you "update" a corrupted netinfo database via
terminal OR SM?
cheers
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #58 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
I'd do a reboot and perform a "fsck -f".

I'm pretty sure the disk has been well and truly fscked!

Thanks for the additional info re: possible archive locations, and the possible cause of problem.
post #59 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Good. How do you "update" a corrupted netinfo database via
terminal OR SM?
cheers

I believe that the old netinfo database was screwey. The new database should be ok, it just doesn't have any normal users in it yet.
post #60 of 141
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the disk has been well and truly fscked!

Well.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #61 of 141
does this mean i will not get my old stuff back?

[Do you see on the top level directory a folder entitled with
"previous system" and/or "deleted (or previous) user"?]

where would i see that?? in system preferences under accounts?

mr h,

when i go home tonight i will create the new account and delete files i do not use (garage band, stickies, sherlock...etc)

and, i don't think i would have ever known how to move anything from the home directory, so if i did - it wasn't on purpose.

after i do this tonight i will try to get online to try and figure out what step comes next in trying to recover my old things.

thank you all!!!!!!!!!! i am pretty nervous but all fo your help is very nice and makes me feel much better!

i'll be checking in all day! thank you! oh, and by the way, i already owe you all big time! i wish i knew computer stuff! then i could help you all as much as you have been helping me! uh, i can teach you all how to knit, make soap, bath salts, and lib gloss. no? not a good barter? ha - i'll keep thinking about it!!
post #62 of 141
Your stuff is still there. Archive and Install does not touch it. All Archive and Install does is pack up the existing /System folder in a disk image and name it "Previous System 1".

You'll find your stuff. Just be careful logged in as root not to delete anything important.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #63 of 141
Quote:
does this mean i will not get my old stuff back?

It's ok. Don't panic. You will be able to get your old stuff back.

Quote:
[Do you see on the top level directory a folder entitled with
"previous system" and/or "deleted (or previous) user"?]

where would i see that?? in system preferences under accounts?

No, in the top level of your hard drive. i.e., double click on the hard drive icon on the desktop, or, if you have the computer set up not to show the hard drive on the desktop, open a new finder window and choose "Macintosh HD" or whatever your hard drive is called. In there will be folders such as applications, library, system etc. Hopefully one of the folders is named as Vox suggested.

Quote:
when i go home tonight i will create the new account and delete files i do not use (garage band, stickies, sherlock...etc)

woah! No need to go over the top. Trust me, deleting just garage band will be enough for the time being. (It's over 2 gigs)

Quote:
thank you all!!!!!!!!!! i am pretty nervous but all fo your help is very nice and makes me feel much better!

i'll be checking in all day! thank you! oh, and by the way, i already owe you all big time! i wish i knew computer stuff! then i could help you all as much as you have been helping me! uh, i can teach you all how to knit, make soap, bath salts, and lib gloss. no? not a good barter? ha - i'll keep thinking about it!!

That's OK, no worries. I reckon teaching someone via message board to knit would be damn-near impossible.
post #64 of 141
Quote:
woah! No need to go over the top. Trust me, deleting just garage band will be enough for the time being. (It's over 2 gigs)

remember, you just need to do these things, in this order, whilst logged in as root:

1. delete garage band (including its support files in /library/application support/)

2. create new admin user in system preferences.

3. log out.
post #65 of 141
Can you get iChat to work? Maybe if all of us could ask in real-time what is where on your computer, we'd have a better idea.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #66 of 141
haha, i am seriously laughing here! i really, for some reason, was panicked! i am nuts!
and then you guys actually had to calm me down over the internet - and the funny thing... it worked, i am much more relaxed about it now! ha, i don't know why it's so funny to me - but it is!

annnnyway... i take it from the "whoa, no need to go over the top" comment (thank you mr h. for pointing out how nuts i became for a minute )that i should only move garageband to the trash. i will do that when i get home from work... i will complete all of the steps listed from the root account then i will log onto my new account and see if ichat works.

whew, this is all very exciting again. the columbo feeling is making its way back!
post #67 of 141
Quote:
Your stuff is still there. Archive and Install does not touch it. All Archive and Install does is pack up the existing /System folder in a disk image and name it "Previous System 1".

You'll find your stuff. Just be careful logged in as root not to delete anything important.

I've never actually done an OS X archive and install (only an OS 8 one). Are you saying that the installer should not have touched the /users/ folder in any way?

Quote:
whew, this is all very exciting again. the columbo feeling is making its way back!

Good. Columbo feeling - yes, panic - no.

I thought of something important. When you create the new user, make sure it doesn't have the same name as any of the accounts that you used to have. Also, before creating the new user, make sure that the "users" folder is present at the root of the hard drive (how important that is depends on what lundy or anyone else can say about archive & install). Am I right in thinking that the only internet access you have at home is the unwell mac? That could be a problem.
post #68 of 141
Quote:
I've never actually done an OS X archive and install (only an OS 8 one). Are you saying that the installer should not have touched the /users/ folder in any way?

Though i am not lundy, i guess it is safe to
answer with a big yes.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #69 of 141
Quote:
Can you get iChat to work? Maybe if all of us could ask in real-time what is where on your computer, we'd have a better idea.

Just in case: voxbarbara2
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #70 of 141
right, i only have internet access on the mac we are trying to fix.

{Also, before creating the new user, make sure that the "users" folder is present at the root of the hard drive } ---is that where i go i through the hard drive icon on my desk top, open it and search for the "users" folder?

when get home should i still do this before i do the other things? :

{Type in "fsck -f", hit enter, wait some time. Repeat this activity until
you read the line: "This computer appears to be OK". Than type in
"reboot", hit enter. Computer will reboot.}

yippeee, hope is renewed!
post #71 of 141
Quote:

Yep. Just did one a couple weeks ago.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #72 of 141
Quote:
{Also, before creating the new user, make sure that the "users" folder is present at the root of the hard drive } ---is that where i go i through the hard drive icon on my desk top, open it and search for the "users" folder?

when get home should i still do this before i do the other things?

Yes and yes. If you don't see the users folder, trying using finder's find command (when you're in the Finder press "command" and "f" together). Make the window that appears look like this (assuming your short user name was erica):

and press find. This should reveal your old user home folder and inside should be all your lovely files.
post #73 of 141
oooh, goodie! this is all so exciting! if i wouldn't get fired for jumping up in my cubicle and yelling about how i am cuolumbo-ish and i have wonderful columbo internet helpers than i certainly would do it! thanks! i am going to print all of this out before i leave for the day and work on it tonight.

Quote:
Yes and yes. If you don't see the users folder, trying using finder's find command (when you're in the Finder press "command" and "f" together). Make the window that appears look like this (assuming your short user name was erica):

and press find. This should reveal your old user home folder and inside should be all your lovely files.
post #74 of 141
GENIUS! i am in my own computer as the new user that i just created! this is amazing! when i was logged in as root i went into the hard drive and found everything that i had on my computer before!!!!!! you have made me the happiest girl in philadelphia! this is awesome! now i guess i need to get my old account to show up somehow right? this is amazing! forget columbo! this is sherlock holmes caliber now!
post #75 of 141
What do you see now in the "Accounts" pane of System Preferences?
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #76 of 141
hi,

i see:

My Account
olivepig
Admin

Other Accounts

that's all. there are not any more accounts listed.

Quote:
What do you see now in the "Accounts" pane of System Preferences?
post #77 of 141
Quote:
hi,

i see:

My Account
olivepig
Admin

Other Accounts

that's all. there are not any more accounts listed.

OK, now how about the /Users directory? What folders are there in there? Just the one for the Admin account, an icon of a house? If so, what is in the folders of that folder?
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #78 of 141
Users
apache_pb.gif
web_share.gif
macosxlogo.gif
Drop Box
olivepig
Audio
iMovie
Fonts
Assistants
FontCollections
Documentation
Sounds
Safari
Printers
Preferences
Keychains
Keyboard Layouts
Internet Plug-Ins
ColorPickers
Caches
Application Support
Favorites
index.html
images
Sites
Public
Pictures
Music
Movies
Documents
Library
Desktop

that is what i see in that folder with the house on it. i do see the folders of my old accounts - but they are not under "users"

Quote:
OK, now how about the /Users directory? What folders are there in there? Just the one for the Admin account, an icon of a house? If so, what is in the folders of that folder?
post #79 of 141
Well I hope they aren't in that order. You should see, in that house folder,

Desktop
Documents
Library
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public
Sites

That's the standard new-user template.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #80 of 141
oh, right - they are in the order you have them...for some reason when i copied and pasted, it placed things in a different order. oops, sorry about that.

Quote:
Well I hope they aren't in that order. You should see, in that house folder,

Desktop
Documents
Library
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public
Sites

That's the standard new-user template.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › computer completely messed up!!!!!! pleeeease help!