or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › computer completely messed up!!!!!! pleeeease help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

computer completely messed up!!!!!! pleeeease help! - Page 3

post #81 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
oh, right - they are in the order you have them...for some reason when i copied and pasted, it placed things in a different order. oops, sorry about that.

Excellent.
Are all of your documents, music, etc in the folders in that new Admin account?

Now if your documents/photos/music/etc isn't in those folders, I think rather than screw around trying to reassign the user name to the correct folders, what I would do is:

Open two Finder windows side by side, one with the new Admin home folder and the other one with the home folder of (one of) the account(s) that has your data.

Starting with Desktop, open both Desktop folders of the accounts.
Drag all the contents of the non-Admin account's Desktop folder into the Admin Desktop folder. Don't drag the folders themselves; only their contents.
Repeat for the other folders.

You should be back to normal.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #82 of 141
Brilliant! We're almost there.

Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
I think rather than screw around trying to reassign the user name to the correct folders, what I would do is:

Open two Finder windows side by side, one with the new Admin home folder and the other one with the home folder of (one of) the account(s) that has your data.

Starting with Desktop, open both Desktop folders of the accounts.
Drag all the contents of the non-Admin account's Desktop folder into the Admin Desktop folder. Don't drag the folders themselves; only their contents.
Repeat for the other folders.

You should be back to normal.

Hi Lundy. This is exactly what I had in mind, too. The only thing is that even though the new user is an admin, it still shouldn't have permission to open the other user's home folder contents. Although, having said that, the old user isn't in the netinfo database any more, so who knows what the permissions of their old folders look like?

The thing I'm a bit confused about is that file listing that erica posted. I'm not sure why she could see all those files.

I'd like a bit more clarification of what's where before proceeding.

Erica:

Log in with the new user you've created and open the hard drive.

What do you see there?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #83 of 141
Thread Starter 
here is what i see:


Applications (Mac OS 9)
oh my god.doc
The Sims
System Folder
System
Scholastic's I Spy Puppet
Previous Systems
The Sims Installation Log.1
The Sims Installation Log
Library
itunes
I have finally discovered.doc
games

aol, msn
Mp3
User Guides And Information
Applications
Users
toast.cwk
softserve.cwk
pickle.cwk
pancakes.cwk
jam.cwk
iPhoto Library
hotdog.cwk
hadleigh pictures
eyes.cwk
corndog.cwk
coffee.cwk
cheesecake.cwk
bananna.cwk
AIM® Buddy Icons
Disabled Items
Cache
Library
User Dictionary
The Learning Company
Sites
Send Registration
Public
Pictures
Music
Movies
Magazines
Library
Documents
Desktop
Archive.zip
Archive 3.zip
Archive 2.zip
Starting Points
motherhood miracles.cwk
Dictionaries
Clippings
AutoSave
Zinio
Yahoo! Messenger
World Book 2003 folder
Utilities
TextEdit
System Preferences
StuffIt Standard 8.0.2
Stickies
Sound Studio
Sherlock
QuickTime Player
Quicken 2004
Preview
Microsoft Office X
Internet Explorer
iPhoto
Internet Connect
Installers
Safari
iMovie
Image Capture
iChat
iCal
Gutterball
Mail
iTunes
iSync
EarthLink TotalAccess Mac OS X
games
Font Book
DVD Player
AOL Instant Messenger(SM).old.1
Curious George LP PPC
AOL Instant Messenger(SM).old
AOL Instant Messenger (SM)
Address Book
Calculator
AppleWorks 6
AppleScript
Chess
Objects
lotpos.txt
log.cht
Animation
save_all.cht
Roofs
Ranger2.iff
Sprites.iff
Skins
Scenario.tds
walls.iff
Walls
UserObjects
UIText.iff
Textures
stalk.ini
Live.iff
Lights
lightMap.dat
Credits.iff
Careers.iff
Build.iff
Behavior.iff
GlobalCLUT.pal
Global
floors.iff
Floors
Previous System 2
Previous System 1
originalpunkin.cwk
on my mind.cwk
motherhood miracles.cwk
mmmm.cwk
missing.cwk
lonliness.cwk
jam.cwk
illiterate.cwk
hotdog.cwk
eyes.cwk
email.cwk
danel's monster.cwk
corndog.cwk
Copy of mmmm.cwk
coffee.cwk
cheesecake.cwk
car ride.cwk
cannonballs.cwk
cannonballs II .cwk
bananna.cwk
a sound unlike any other.cwk
ul.cwk
toast.cwk
softserve.cwk
rotten pearl.cwk
Resume-add-on.cwk
punkin.cwk
poop.cwk
pickle.cwk
pancakes.cwk
winnie.cwk
untitled.cwk
untitled 2.cwk
000000000000000000000#7DB5E.cwk
"loneliness".cwk
MSN Messenger History
Entourage Temp
Office X Identities
Recent Items
Disabled Items
Cache
test
Shared
olivepig
WebServer
User Pictures
Scripts
Screen Savers
Receipts
QuickTime
Python
Printers
Preferences
Perl
Modem Scripts
Logs
Keychains
Keyboard Layouts
Java
Internet Plug-Ins
Image Capture
Frameworks
Fonts
Filesystems
Documentation
Desktop Pictures
Contextual Menu Items
Components
ColorSync
CFMSupport
Caches
Audio
Application Support
Address Book Plug-Ins
Animation.far
Xtras
SAVED GAMES
Read Me
Play I Spy Junior Puppet
I Spy Junior Puppet Playhouse
Make Your Own
Make Your Own Read Me
ul.cwk
sent mail
rotten pearl.cwk
ing acct. info
inbox
cannonballs.cwk
cannonballs II .cwk
D1F3FE1C15AEBE9F3171B43006CA76
86B7AA87566C7DBA41B2DB825E0724
483B1CEC32D183DBA11D8C00B40954
Help
Fonts
Finder
Favorites
Extensions
Control Strip Modules
Control Panels
Apple Menu Items
ColorSync Profiles
Classic Update Log.txt
Panels
Appearance
Application Support
System Resources
System
Startup Items
Classic Support UI
Classic Support
Classic
Servers
Scripts
Preferences
Scripting Additions
Scrapbook File
MacTCP DNR
Mac OS ROM
Login
Language & Region Support
Internet Search Sites
Internet Plug-Ins
Text Encodings
UserData
SoundData
UserData7
UserData6
ExpansionPack2
Downloads
UIGraphics
The Sims House Party
GameData
Register The Sims
House Party Read Me
Register House Party
Music
TemplateUserData
Read Me
Web Page Templates Info
UserData8
ThumbJPG.data
Thumb64.data
iPhoto Selection
2003
AlbumData.xml
iPhoto.db
Dir.data
Albums
Thumb32.data
Library.iPhoto
2004
2005

Database Cache
Database
Unsnacker
Turkey
Topiaries
_
Jukebox
JackOLantern
GuineaPg
FlowersRoses
CopedFlowers
Christmas2000
CCPlugIn
CClock
BirthdayCake
SlotMach
Plants2
PartyBalloons
Moose
LampWallBar
WallLite
Main Identity

InstallAIM4.7
Messenger400.dmg
Workbook1.xls
winnie.cwk
untitled.cwk
untitled 2.cwk
Resume-add-on.cwk
punkin.cwk
originalpunkin.cwk
on my mind.cwk
missing.cwk
Microsoft User Data
Main Frame Page
lonliness
email.cwk
EarthLink Summary.rtfd
danel's monster.cwk
Copy of mmmm.cwk
car ride.cwk
AppleWorks User Data
appleworks documents
a sound unlike any other.cwk
WWF
Whitesnake
West Street Mob
Wesley Willis
Warzone
Wall of Voodoo
walkner-moestl
Various Artists
Van Halen
Unknown Artist
Unknown
UFO
U2
Twisted Sister
Tricky
Trecherous Three
tosca
Tommy Dorsey & Frank Sinatra
Thievery Corporation
Theivery Corporation
The Who
The Sequence
The Roy Hargrove-Christian McBride-Stephen Scott Trio
The Paragons
The Mean Machine
The Cuffs
Surf Punks
Sun Ra Arkestra

Sun Ra Arkestra
Sun Ra
Sugarhill Gang
sugar b
Styx
stereotyp & soothsayer
Stephen Hawking
Stan Getz
Squarepusher
Spooky
Specials
Sonny Rollins
Slayer
Sir Georg Solti
singe
Simpsons
Shakespear's Sister
Sepultura
Sean 06
Schubert - Holzmair _ Wyss
Sarah Vaughan
Sarah Vaugham
Run DMC
Röyksopp
Roy Hargrove
Roy Ayers
Roni Size - Reprazent
Rolling Stones
Rjd2
Richard Pryor
REO Speed Wagon
Redd Foxx
Rae & Christian
Procol Harem
Police
Pokemon
Poison
Phantom Surfers
peace orchestra
Paragons, Jesters, et al
Paragons
Otis Redding
Only the Strong
no artist
Nina Simone
Nina
Mr. T
MP3 CD
Motorhead
Monk, Thelonious
MJ Cole
Milt Jackson
Miles Davis & John Coltrane
Miles Davis
mi6
Metroid
Men At Work
Masters at Work
Mark De Clive - Lowe
Mandalay
Madness
Ludwig Van Beethoven
Lonely Planet
Lennie Tristano
Lee Konitz_brad Mehldau_charlie Haden
Lee Konitz
Kruder and Dormeiser
kruder and dorfmeister
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Kraftwerk & Portishead
Kraftwerk
King Britt
kieser-velten
Kevie Kev (Waterbed Kev)
Justin Hinds & The Dominoes
Judas Priest
Joshua Redman
Johnny Hartman _ John Coltrane
Johnny Hartman
John Zorn, George Lewis, Bill Frisell
John Zorn
John Coltrane
Joe Pass & J.J. Johnson
Joe Claussell
Jefferson Starship
James Holden
Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters
Herbie Hancock
Hatebreed
gus gus
Grandmaster Melle Mel& The Furious Five
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Grandmaster & Melle Mel
Gorillaz
Gerry Mulligan & Dave Brubeck
Funky 4 + 1
Freeform Arkestra
Frank Sinatra
Flash Brothers
farda p
Eric Burden & The Animals
Electronic / Stuff
Earth Crisis
Dzihan & Kamien
Dust
Duke Ellington
Drifters
Dorfmeister
Dizzy Gillespie
Diverse
Dexter Gordon
Derrik Morgan
Dennis Leary
De-Phazz
De La Soul
David Bowie
Dave Brubeck Quartet
Dave Brubeck
Dan The Automator
Damn Yankess
Crash Crew
Compilations
Coleman Hawkins
Coldplay
Clash
Chick Corea
Chet Baker
Gangstarr
Chet Backer
Charlie Parker
Charlie Mingus
Charles Mingus
Cassandra Wilson
Cannonball Adderley
Bowie, David
Bon jovi
Bomb the Bass
Blondie
Blackalicious
Black Sabbath
Billy Idol
Art Blakey and The jazz Messengers
Ahmad Jamal
Animals
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Aqua
Art Blakey and The Jazz Messen
AC_DC
Amon Tobin
Bill Evans
Bill Cosby
Jazz
Billie Holiday
Bill Evans Trio
Bermuda Triangle
Austin Powers
Al Green
108 Grand
Anthony Carlos Jobim
WHATword
MSN Messenger 4
iTunes4.5.dmg
iTunes 4.5 alias 2
iTunes 4.5 alias 1
iTunes 4.5
iTunes 4.5 alias
sims


B604E3394D075751E9DC663F1C0FCA
98B7E9AEAB5FF5BA79E5B3758F4707
Sites
Public
Pictures
Music
Movies
Documents
Library
Desktop
10/1/04@0

i don't know why everything gets all mixed up--- but some stuff that was on the top, is now at the bottom???

but lookit!!! my music and everything is there! YAHOOOO!

this is awesome!

** but how come i can't open safari??? i had to manually open internet explorer instead?




Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
Brilliant! We're almost there.



Hi Lundy. This is exactly what I had in mind, too. The only thing is that even though the new user is an admin, it still shouldn't have permission to open the other user's home folder contents. Although, having said that, the old user isn't in the netinfo database any more, so who knows what the permissions of their old folders look like?

The thing I'm a bit confused about is that file listing that erica posted. I'm not sure why she could see all those files.

I'd like a bit more clarification of what's where before proceeding.

Erica:

Log in with the new user you've created and open the hard drive.

What do you see there?
post #84 of 141
Crikey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is all that in the root level of your hard drive??

Anyone used VNC over the internet before?

Erica, please edit your post and remove the e-mail addresses that are in it.

Could you open the "users" folder and let us know what's in there?

Also, could you let us know the short name of the new admin user that you created?

And finally, has someone else done an "archive and install" on your computer before?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #85 of 141
Quote:

{Snip}i don't know why everything gets all mixed up--- but some stuff that was on the top, is now at the bottom???

but lookit!!! my music and everything is there! YAHOOOO!

this is awesome!

** but how come i can't open safari??? i had to manually open internet explorer instead?

How did you manage to post all this so quickly?
Just curious? If i am asked to post the (huge) list of my
say documents folder, i would be pretty much puzzled.
How? Don't tell me you typed it in less than ten minutes.

Btw, just to get it straight, you double click onto the hd icon,
a Finder window opens and you do see all these files? Right?

good morning anyway
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #86 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
How did you manage to post all this so quickly?
Just curious? If i am asked to post the (huge) list of my
say documents folder, i would be pretty much puzzled.
How? Don't tell me you typed it in less than ten minutes.

Btw, just to get it straight, you double click onto the hd icon,
a Finder window opens and you do see all these files? Right?

good morning anyway

Hi Vox,

Don't know how erica did it, but try this: open a new finder window, select all, command-c, open a new text document and paste. Surprise! Isn't that useful?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #87 of 141
Thread Starter 
oh no!!! just realized i am running late for work! i have to be there really late tonight too, at an event. crap, i will have to get back to this late tonight or tomorrow after work! aw, i wanted to do it now!
i will post when i am back at my computer again! thanks again for all the help! you guys are amazing!!!!!!!!!
post #88 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
Hi Vox,

Don't know how erica did it, but try this: open a new finder window, select all, command-c, open a new text document and paste. Surprise! Isn't that useful?

Gorgeous. I was seeking for that feature for so long.
I didn't know yet.
MR H thank you by shaping up my OS X experience.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #89 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
oh no!!! just realized i am running late for work! i have to be there really late tonight too, at an event. crap, i will have to get back to this late tonight or tomorrow after work! aw, i wanted to do it now!
i will post when i am back at my computer again! thanks again for all the help! you guys are amazing!!!!!!!!!

I randomly went through the huge list and there
are a lot of files that indicate CDs or albums, that
i do own too. I was missing just one particular artist:
Massive Attack
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #90 of 141
If we get her data copied over to the correct account, there shall be high-fiving all around.

P.S. Vox Barbara, I ahem, removed all that list of files, it was driving me nutz to scroll through it.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #91 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
If we get her data copied over to the correct account, there shall be high-fiving all around.

P.S. Vox Barbara, I ahem, removed all that list of files, it was driving me nutz to scroll through it.

Sure we all doing our jobs as good as it ... you fullfill
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #92 of 141
Thread Starter 
i just got into work - i was so exhausted last night so i didn't even turn my computer on. i am definitly working on it tonight! i'll post when i am home! thanks!!!!!
post #93 of 141
Thread Starter 
dear the most helpful geniuses on the planet -

i am home and have some more questions about what happens next. if anyone is around, i would be so grateful! i am so excited again - (yes, i know i am lame and dorky for getting this excited about putting my computer put back together!!).

talk to you guys soon!
post #94 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
dear the most helpful geniuses on the planet -

i am home and have some more questions about what happens next. if anyone is around, i would be so grateful! i am so excited again - (yes, i know i am lame and dorky for getting this excited about putting my computer put back together!!).

talk to you guys soon!

O.K. brilliant. Let's get cracking.

1. What is the short name of the new admin user that you created most recently when you were logged in as root?

2. Open the hard drive in the finder. Go to the "view" menu, and choose "as icons". what do you see?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #95 of 141
Thread Starter 
hi mr.h -

so quick to respond!!!

ok,

1) olivepig

and

2) (these are all actually shown as folders and other icons) :

games
Library
Users
I have finally discovered.doc
oh my god.doc
Previous Systems

Mp3
User Guides And Information
System
Curious George LP
itunes
System Folder
Blue's Preschool
The Sims Installation Log
The Sims
The Sims Installation Log.1
Scholastic's I Spy Puppet
Applications
Applications (Mac OS 9)
aol, msn
post #96 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
hi mr.h -

so quick to respond!!!

ok,

1) olivepig

and

2) (these are all actually shown as folders and other icons) :

games
Library
Users
I have finally discovered.doc
oh my god.doc
Previous Systems

Mp3
User Guides And Information
System
Curious George LP
itunes
System Folder
Blue's Preschool
The Sims Installation Log
The Sims
The Sims Installation Log.1
Scholastic's I Spy Puppet
Applications
Applications (Mac OS 9)
aol, msn

Ah hah! A much shorter list this time. I'm guessing that Finder was in "list view" before?

Keep Finder in "icon view" for the moment

What is inside the folder "users"?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #97 of 141
Thread Starter 
yes - you are right (of course!), i did not have it in icon view before - i will be sure to keep it like this for now!

in the users folder, i have:
* the "test" account that dumb peter set up for me when i initially got my mac
* my old account that i used to use all of the time before i mistakenly became a self proclaimed computer hacker
* a folder that reads "shared"
* and the account that i just set up this week

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
Ah hah! A much shorter list this time. I'm guessing that Finder was in "list view" before?

Keep Finder in "icon view" for the moment

What is inside the folder "users"?
post #98 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
yes - you are right (of course!), i did not have it in icon view before - i will be sure to keep it like this for now!

in the users folder, i have:
* the "test" account that dumb peter set up for me when i initially got my mac
* my old account that i used to use all of the time before i mistakenly became a self proclaimed computer hacker
* a folder that reads "shared"
* and the account that i just set up this week

O.K.

1. Is there anything in the "test" account that you need?

2. Are you able to open the folder belonging to your old account, and open all the folders inside it (such as documents, music etc.)

3. If you open "system preferences" and go to accounts, what is listed there?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #99 of 141
Thread Starter 
i never used the test account. it just has whatever any new account would have in it. so, no - i don't guess i would need any of that.

i am able to open the stuff inside my old account folder!!! i began to open the music and stuff and it was about to open - but itunes on this account has never been opened. so, i think it was going to give me some kind of demo or something. (do you think i should try it now anyway?)

if i look at "accounts", it shows:

my account
system administrator
admin

other accounts
olivepig
admin


Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
O.K.

1. Is there anything in the "test" account that you need?

2. Are you able to open the folder belonging to your old account, and open all the folders inside it (such as documents, music etc.)

3. If you open "system preferences" and go to accounts, what is listed there?
post #100 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
i am able to open the stuff inside my old account folder!!! i began to open the music and stuff and it was about to open - but itunes on this account has never been opened. so, i think it was going to give me some kind of demo or something. (do you think i should try it now anyway?)

No, no need to open any files/music just yet. I just wanted to make sure that file permissions were not going to be an issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by erica

if i look at "accounts", it shows:

my account
system administrator
admin

other accounts
olivepig
admin

When you say "my account", do you mean the writing in grey?

If I'm understanding you right, there are two users listed, one under the "my account" heading, and one under the "other accounts" heading. Both users are noted as "admin".
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #101 of 141
Thread Starter 
yes, that is correct.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
No, no need to open any files/music just yet. I just wanted to make sure that file permissions were not going to be an issue.



When you say "my account", do you mean the writing in grey?

If I'm understanding you right, there are two users listed, one under the "my account" heading, and one under the "other accounts" heading. Both users are noted as "admin".
post #102 of 141
I really need to go to bed now.

If anyone wants to take over, here's my ideas:

It may be that if a new user is created with the same long and shortname that erica used to use, the system will see that such a user's home folder is already present, and just use it. If that works - job done. The only problem is, what if the system over-writes the user folder instead? The old user folder needs to be duplicated to a different part of the hard drive before trying this idea.

If there isn't enough free space to duplicate the old user folder, then its contents will have to be copied over to erica's new account instead of trying the above idea. The only issue here is with the library folder; it probably isn't a good idea to copy that straight over, but it will contain stuff needed to get erica's applications working the way they used to, for example in preferences and application support.

Good luck everyone! btw, incase anyone cares, this is the longest genius bar thread on AI. Ever.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #103 of 141
Thread Starter 
completely understandable! relax and go to bed. (my computer was really messed up and i couldn't open any internet pages at all (hate internet explorer) - and i just now got it working again, that's why it took me so long to respond - sorry)

i cannot get safari to work at all. i click on it, and it bounces and it thinks it is opened, but no windows come up and if i go into: file: new window, nothing opens. this happened before - however, i forget how i got safari up and running again. besides - i think it's best if i try and sort out one issue at a time!

but i realized - the whole time my computer has been on tonight and mr.h has been helping me, i have been operating as the root - system administrator account rather than the account that i created this week! apparently, when i turn on my computer, that is the account it automatically opens up. ooopps! i am now logged in as the new account though. i have to be careful to take notice next time.

thanks so much for helping me again tonight! i don't know how much all this would have cost me to take somewhere for repair... but i can assure you i don't have it! so, again, i truly appreciate this!







Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
I really need to go to bed now.

If anyone wants to take over, here's my ideas:

It may be that if a new user is created with the same long and shortname that erica used to use, the system will see that such a user's home folder is already present, and just use it. If that works - job done. The only problem is, what if the system over-writes the user folder instead? The old user folder needs to be duplicated to a different part of the hard drive before trying this idea.

If there isn't enough free space to duplicate the old user folder, then its contents will have to be copied over to erica's new account instead of trying the above idea. The only issue here is with the library folder; it probably isn't a good idea to copy that straight over, but it will contain stuff needed to get erica's applications working the way they used to, for example in preferences and application support.

Good luck everyone! btw, incase anyone cares, this is the longest genius bar thread on AI. Ever.
post #104 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
...
i cannot get safari to work at all. i click on it, and it bounces and it thinks it is opened, but no windows come up and if i go into: file: new window, nothing opens. this happened before - however, i forget how i got safari up and running again. besides - i think it's best if i try and sort out one issue at a time!
....

Does Safari work in another account? Say, in the test account?
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #105 of 141
Hi erica,

I've had a couple more thoughts on how to (hopefully) simplify the process, but I need even more info first !

1) Select the hard drive on the desktop an do a get info. What does it say next to "available"?

2) Open your "erica" folder (inside the "users" folder), and do a get info on the "music" folder. What does it say next to "size"
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #106 of 141
Thread Starter 
hi!

ok, on my hard drive it says avialiable: 1.58 GB

in my "erica" itunes folder the size is: 13.16 GB



Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
Hi erica,

I've had a couple more thoughts on how to (hopefully) simplify the process, but I need even more info first !

1) Select the hard drive on the desktop an do a get info. What does it say next to "available"?

2) Open your "erica" folder (inside the "users" folder), and do a get info on the "music" folder. What does it say next to "size"
post #107 of 141
Thread Starter 
i am unable to get into the "test" account now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Does Safari work in another account? Say, in the test account?
post #108 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
hi!

ok, on my hard drive it says avialiable: 1.58 GB

in my "erica" itunes folder the size is: 13.16 GB

perfect.

Double-check that you are logged in as olivepig.

Create a new folder on your desktop, and call it "erica.bak"

Open the hard drive, then the "Users" folder, then the "erica" folder, Move the "music" folder from inside the "erica" folder to the new "erica.bak" folder on your desktop. Now, do a get info on the "erica.bak" folder, and it should say size: 13.16 GB (or something bigger). If it doesn't, you've moved the wrong folder.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #109 of 141
Thread Starter 
alright, i confirmed that i am logged in correctly - i am.
i moved the music folder into "erica.bak" and the size is 13.16 GB.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
perfect.

Double-check that you are logged in as olivepig.

Create a new folder on your desktop, and call it "erica.bak"

Open the hard drive, then the "Users" folder, then the "erica" folder, Move the "music" folder from inside the "erica" folder to the new "erica.bak" folder on your desktop. Now, do a get info on the "erica.bak" folder, and it should say size: 13.16 GB (or something bigger). If it doesn't, you've moved the wrong folder.
post #110 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
alright, i confirmed that i am logged in correctly - i am.
i moved the music folder into "erica.bak" and the size is 13.16 GB.

This is all good. Are you excited yet? Almost there - I hope!

Open the "users" folder. Drag the "erica" folder to your desktop, but don't release the mouse button. Press the option (alt) button on your keyboard, and a green "bubble" with a plus sign should appear next to the mouse pointer. Now release your mouse button and the "erica" folder will be duplicated to the desktop.

You will now have two "erica" folders. One in the "Users" folder, and one on the desktop. Do a get info on each to make sure they are the same size.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #111 of 141
Thread Starter 
i am sooooooooooo excited! this is really cool! it looks like there are about 5 minutes left on the copy (but it keeps adding on more minutes). i will let you know when it is done.

also, just a couple of side questions (obviously not ready to do anything about them now... just curious)

will i be able to set up the mail so i don't have to go to mac.com in order to check it? and will i be able to delete a lot of stuff from the old accounts so that i can have more room on my hard drive? and of course i still would love to be able to use safari again - i really despise the way this internet explorer looks and works! these questions may have answers on this site somewhere... i will check after i am all set up, account wise!

call me crazy - but, i am a little sad that this great (and record setting) adventure is almost over!!!!


Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
This is all good. Are you excited yet? Almost there - I hope!

Open the "users" folder. Drag the "erica" folder to your desktop, but don't release the mouse button. Press the option (alt) button on your keyboard, and a green "bubble" with a plus sign should appear next to the mouse pointer. Now release your mouse button and the "erica" folder will be duplicated to the desktop.

You will now have two "erica" folders. One in the "Users" folder, and one on the desktop. Do a get info on each to make sure they are the same size.
post #112 of 141
Thread Starter 
oooh, it's done! but oh no though! i just got a giant exlamation point warning that said: "Your startup disk is almost full. You need to make more space on your startup disk by deleting files"

is that scary?!?!?!?


Quote:
Originally posted by erica
i am sooooooooooo excited! this is really cool! it looks like there are about 5 minutes left on the copy (but it keeps adding on more minutes). i will let you know when it is done.

also, just a couple of side questions (obviously not ready to do anything about them now... just curious)

will i be able to set up the mail so i don't have to go to mac.com in order to check it? and will i be able to delete a lot of stuff from the old accounts so that i can have more room on my hard drive? and of course i still would love to be able to use safari again - i really despise the way this internet explorer looks and works! these questions may have answers on this site somewhere... i will check after i am all set up, account wise!

call me crazy - but, i am a little sad that this great (and record setting) adventure is almost over!!!!
post #113 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
will i be able to set up the mail so i don't have to go to mac.com in order to check it? and will i be able to delete a lot of stuff from the old accounts so that i can have more room on my hard drive? and of course i still would love to be able to use safari again - i really despise the way this internet explorer looks and works! these questions may have answers on this site somewhere... i will check after i am all set up, account wise!

Did you have mail set up like this before everything went wrong? If you did, then once we've fixed stuff, it should just work like it used to. If you didn't have mail set up like this before, then yes, it is possible, but it'll probably be faster to start a new thread and ask someone who uses .mac what the settings are.

And yes, we'll get Safari working yet. IE is only good for those sucky websites that think IE is the only web browser on the planet, and it's scrapbook feature is quite useful sometimes.

Quote:
Originally posted by erica
call me crazy - but, i am a little sad that this great (and record setting) adventure is almost over!!!!

This is good, in a way, because if my idea doesn't work it'll take a bit longer to fix everything.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #114 of 141
Thread Starter 
i checked the size on the hard drive "erica " folder and the one that is now on my desk top. they are both 1.33 GB. but yesterday the hard drive one was 15.5 KB. did something happen??
post #115 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
oooh, it's done! but oh no though! i just got a giant exlamation point warning that said: "Your startup disk is almost full. You need to make more space on your startup disk by deleting files"

is that scary?!?!?!?

Nope, not scary. Open the "users" folder, and move "test" to the trash, and delete (as you said you never actually used it).

Do you use iMovie ever?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #116 of 141
Thread Starter 
i do not use imovie very often, but i thought it might be fun to play around with... is it dumb?

i moved the "test" acct to the trash.

(oh, and yes, my mail used to be set up so i could access it from the dock)



Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
Nope, not scary. Open the "users" folder, and move "test" to the trash, and delete (as you said you never actually used it).

Do you use iMovie ever?
post #117 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
i moved the "test" acct to the trash.

(oh, and yes, my mail used to be set up so i could access it from the dock)

You should now have two folders on the desktop. One called "erica.bak", the other the duplicate of the "erica" folder.

Open a new finder window, and go to menu "go" and choose "home". In that folder should be the usual suspects such as "documents", "music" etc. Open the folder "public" and move the two folders that are on the desktop into it. Now do a get info on the "public" folder. How big?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #118 of 141
Thread Starter 
public folder = 14.5 GB

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
You should now have two folders on the desktop. One called "erica.bak", the other the duplicate of the "erica" folder.

Open a new finder window, and go to menu "go" and choose "home". In that folder should be the usual suspects such as "documents", "music" etc. Open the folder "public" and move the two folders that are on the desktop into it. Now do a get info on the "public" folder. How big?
post #119 of 141
Quote:
Originally posted by erica
public folder = 14.5 GB

O.K.

What we've done is duplicated all the stuff (apart from your music) that was in your old account safely to the new account. The music we just moved from the old account.

Now, we can try creating a new user with the same settings you used to have, and hope the system is intelligent enough to realise that the user folder is already present and just use it. Open system preferences and go to accounts. Click the plus button at the bottom of the list of users. Use EXACTLY the same long and short name that you used in your old account before things went wrong (the password can be the same or different from what you used to use). When you've entered the name and password info, click on the "security" tab and tick the "allow user to administer this computer" box.

Close system preferences and log out. You should now be able to log in just like you always used to. Do things look like they used to? If they do, don't open iTunes yet. We've still got a tiny bit further to go.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #120 of 141
Thread Starter 
i am logged back in as "olivepig".

my computer was not able to make the account the same as the old one. when i created it then logged into it, it looks just the way a new account would look.

(sorry IE was messing up again, so i couldn't post this until now)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
O.K.

What we've done is duplicated all the stuff (apart from your music) that was in your old account safely to the new account. The music we just moved from the old account.

Now, we can try creating a new user with the same settings you used to have, and hope the system is intelligent enough to realise that the user folder is already present and just use it. Open system preferences and go to accounts. Click the plus button at the bottom of the list of users. Use EXACTLY the same long and short name that you used in your old account before things went wrong (the password can be the same or different from what you used to use). When you've entered the name and password info, click on the "security" tab and tick the "allow user to administer this computer" box.

Close system preferences and log out. You should now be able to log in just like you always used to. Do things look like they used to? If they do, don't open iTunes yet. We've still got a tiny bit further to go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › computer completely messed up!!!!!! pleeeease help!