or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iLife '06

iLife '06 - Page 2

post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Will be reading intently to see what you guys think of the software.

I upgraded from iLife '04 but I love the changes in iMovie and iDVD.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #42 of 71
I just want to know more about iWeb. So I guess the following are questions for you iL06 adopters.

Does it support anything other than .Mac? Or is it useless without it? (I don't surrently have my own webpage, but I will sometime soon and I know I won't be using .Mac).

Does it have a code view and editor? Can templates be modified/tweaked? Can you forego the templates and build your own?

Is it compatible with Pages? I.e., can you create something in Pages and transfer it to iWeb, then publish it (in either/both .Mac or/and whatever other webhosting service you use)?

Get to work you guys/gals!
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by DCQ

Does it support anything other than .Mac? Or is it useless without it? (I don't surrently have my own webpage, but I will sometime soon and I know I won't be using .Mac).
Get to work you guys/gals!

I talked to a friend last night that is at macworld and he said that you can use it to publish to your own webserver without .mac ~ which makes it much more desirable for me...
Miles
Miles
post #44 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by AWILL
Does anyone have any idea when these will be available to buy in the store? I called 2 stores and they don't have any idea when we can buy them. I know it was just released, but is there a normal lag time to get them in the retail stores?

I walked into Apple SoHo and they had a bunch of iLife '06 DVDs on the wall.
post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by debenm
I talked to a friend last night that is at macworld and he said that you can use it to publish to your own webserver without .mac ~ which makes it much more desirable for me...

Be aware that iWeb does not include an integrated FTP client, so you'll need some other way to actually move the folders onto the internet. There are many free options; my favorite is RBrowser.
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by dws
Be aware that iWeb does not include an integrated FTP client, so you'll need some other way to actually move the folders onto the internet. There are many free options; my favorite is RBrowser.

No way man: Cyberduck all the way. If you were really desperate you could just use Apple's "Go > Connect to server" in the finder.
post #47 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by icfireball
No way man: Cyberduck all the way. If you were really desperate you could just use Apple's "Go > Connect to server" in the finder.

I thought FTP in the Finder was still read-only? I tend to use CyberDuck or some Perl scripts I hacked together myself.

--> Stephen
--
iBook G3 | MacBook C2D | iPod 1G | iPod 5G | iPhone
Visit my website: This is ZX81.org.uk
My iPhone application: Yummy
--
iBook G3 | MacBook C2D | iPod 1G | iPod 5G | iPhone
Visit my website: This is ZX81.org.uk
My iPhone application: Yummy
post #48 of 71
Hate to interupt the interesting chatter, but I don't have my own homepage either but am thinking to make one this year, so I want to know waht doing so requires. I have .Mac, but might start a page for my small company on a seperate server.

What are you guys describing? FTP, cyberducks and superchickens... Is this the FFetch program of old? I used it once or twice to do something but can't recall what.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #49 of 71
Just loaded iLife 06. Awesome. It was worth it for iPhoto alone.

iWeb is nice with a RapidWeaver feel but it has a ways to go. ,-- granted I only have messed with it for 30 minutes so far.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #50 of 71

iWeb is nice with a RapidWeaver feel but it has a ways to go. ,-- granted I only have messed with it for 30 minutes so far.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #51 of 71
So, apart from aplenub (thanks aplenub) does anyone else have any impressions on iLife '06? Specifically iPhoto.

Thanks!
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #52 of 71
Has any one tested the DVD in a non dual layer drive yet. Someone said the packaging only had 1 dual layer disk.
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
So, apart from aplenub (thanks aplenub) does anyone else have any impressions on iLife '06? Specifically iPhoto.

Check out this thread over at dpreview:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16671731
post #54 of 71
Quote:
Has any one tested the DVD in a non dual layer drive yet. Someone said the packaging only had 1 dual layer disk.

All DVD drives can read Dual Layer discs. Probably 80% of your DVDs are dual layer discs.

So don't worry about that.

JBL:

thanks. I'll go check it out now.
post #55 of 71
Quote:

Worked fine in one of my old computers. Read without any issues.
post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub

Could you check to see if the exposure slider on the photo adjust HUD is still calibrated on a ±100 scale, or is it done in f stops?

Thanks .
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by digitaldave
Could you check to see if the exposure slider on the photo adjust HUD is still calibrated on a ±100 scale, or is it done in f stops?

Thanks .

-100 to +100

That sucks.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #58 of 71
Thanks for checking . It's not a major problem for me, as I usually tweak photos visually rather than go by the numbers, but it would be handy to have it in the common f stop terminology, partly for familiarity, and partly to help learn about exposing correctly.

Dave.
post #59 of 71
Quote:
Thanks for checking . It's not a major problem for me, as I usually tweak photos visually rather than go by the numbers, but it would be handy to have it in the common f stop terminology, partly for familiarity, and partly to help learn about exposing correctly.

Dave.

I am with you there. I am on the verge of buying Aperture but I don't make my living taking photo's so I can't justify it, yet...

Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #60 of 71
Quote:
I am with you there. I am on the verge of buying Aperture but I don't make my living taking photo's so I can't justify it, yet...

I would be on the verge of buying Aperture if I had a computer that would actualy run it.
post #61 of 71
Quote:
I would be on the verge of buying Aperture if I had a computer that would actualy run it.

I'd be on the verge of buying Aperture if it didn't have massive problems.

And if I had a computer I could run it on.
post #62 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by Electric Monk
I'd be on the verge of buying Aperture if it didn't have massive problems.

And if I had a computer I could run it on.

Agreed.
post #63 of 71
Exposure slider update:

I asked the same question over at DPReview, as someone has an extensive iPhoto 06 review thread going, and here was the reply:

Quote:
The exposure slider means nothing to images that are JPEGS or TIFS. With these type files, the slider is a 0-100 scale. For RAW processing images, this slider becomes an EV (+/-) 3 stops with "0" at the center position.

Link to the full thread.
post #64 of 71
Quote:
Exposure slider update:

I asked the same question over at DPReview, as someone has an extensive iPhoto 06 review thread going, and here was the reply:

Link to the full thread.

That is great news but I still do all my work (amateur mind you) in "jpg" format. Switching to a "raw" format workflow kinda scares me because of the support (lack of). Maybe I will give it a shot.

That is great news.

What I like about the intel chips is that suddenly, a MacBook Pro becomes a better machine to do Final Cut Pro on when compared to my iMac. That is very tempting...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #65 of 71
Quote:

What I like about the intel chips is that suddenly, a MacBook Pro becomes a better machine to do Final Cut Pro on when compared to my iMac. That is very tempting...

To be fair, it will be a better machine when the pro apps go universal binary.
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by Electric Monk
To be fair, it will be a better machine when the pro apps go universal binary.

I guess I got ahead of myself but with the universal binaries approaching fast, it really is almost trivial at this point.

My guess for the MacBook Pro's not having Dual layer support and a few other weird deleted options for an almost fully loaded notebook, is the fact that they want to continue selling the last of the PowerBooks until they are gone and those super fast, errrr. slug G4's, can be long forgotten.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #67 of 71
Can anyone here comment on photocasting? How well does it work for people that are viewing on other computers? Oh, and can photocasting be done without a .mac account? I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere...

Cheers
post #68 of 71
One odd thing about iWeb is that it's not obvious how you take a website that you've already created, and open it up with iWeb. I even created a website with iWeb, and now I can't open it up with iWeb on a different machine. There is no Open... menu, let alone Import... \
post #69 of 71
Oy, I'd imagine that would be very difficult to pull off. CSS et al are such huge beasts that doing a true import might be really beyond iWeb.

As for opening - is there not a way of feeding it a URL to access?
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
One odd thing about iWeb is that it's not obvious how you take a website that you've already created, and open it up with iWeb. I even created a website with iWeb, and now I can't open it up with iWeb on a different machine. There is no Open... menu, let alone Import... \

I asked three different people about this at Macworld and got three different answers. The guy who seemed to know the most (I think he said he was the product manager, so I would hope he knows something), said iWeb does not store HTML. Instead it stores your website as some proprietary bundle buried in ~/Library (I can't remember the exact path but it didn't sound hard to find). He said this means you cannot import sites or pages created by other programs. On the other hand, if you copy the bundle to a different machine and put it in the appropriate place, he said there should be no problems opening it (no promises since this is not officially a feature). Anyway, give it a try.
post #71 of 71
Yup. Ugh, that's so crummy. I found this article on this issue:

If you are not able to use the Migration Assistant, or do not want to copy your entire Home folder, you can move your iWeb sites from one user or computer to another using these steps:

1. On the computer you're moving from, quit iWeb.
2. In the Finder, open your Home folder. From the Go menu, choose Home (Go > Home).
3. Open the Library folder.
4. Open the Application Support folder.
5. Control-click (or right-click) on the iWeb folder, and from the shortcut menu choose Create Archive of iWeb.
6. This will create a file called iWeb.zip.
7. Copy this file to the same location for your new user or computer, then double-click the file to open it.
8. Open iWeb, and your sites should all appear.

Jeezus.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iLife '06