or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Apple today released Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update, which delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 and is recommended for all users.

In a brief set of release notes, Apple said the software update includes fixes for:SMB/CIFS and NFS network file services
Bluetooth wireless access
Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, RAW camera support, including updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
Spotlight indexing and searching
AppleScript, iChat, DVD Player, and Safari applications
Dashboard widgets: Calendar and Stocks
Software Update and Sync Services
compatibility with USB and FireWire devices and third party applications
previous standalone security updates

The software weighs in at 27.6 MB in Delta update form. More detailed information on the Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update is available in an Apple Knowledge Base article

Earlier today, Apple also announced that Mac OS X 10.4.4 for Intel is shipping on the first Intel iMacs.

post #2 of 49
Does this finally fix the Safari Bookmarks not updating via iSync? This has been broken since April in otherwords since 10.4 came.
Quote:
Get busy living or get busy dying--Stephen King
Reply
Quote:
Get busy living or get busy dying--Stephen King
Reply
post #3 of 49
uh... it's been working for me since... well, since forever
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #4 of 49
My bookmark syncing stopped working sometime in the past two weeks. Not sure what happened to it. Maybe this update will fix it.
post #5 of 49
The new widgets are really nice.
post #6 of 49
Anyone having any problems yet with the update?
-Dual 2.0 Ghz Power Mac G5, 2 GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, 2 250 GB HD
-New 23" Cinema Display
-17" Powerbook @ 1.67Ghz w/ 80GB hard drive
-160GB Lacie FW800
Reply
-Dual 2.0 Ghz Power Mac G5, 2 GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, 2 250 GB HD
-New 23" Cinema Display
-17" Powerbook @ 1.67Ghz w/ 80GB hard drive
-160GB Lacie FW800
Reply
post #7 of 49
All the updates went like butter, and QT and itunes are "teh snappy (TM)".

Video playback in itunes is really solid now, a lot of bugs are worked out.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #8 of 49
No problems at all, and a much smaller filesize than I had expected.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #9 of 49
Why did they change the Calendar widget? I liked the old one better.
post #10 of 49
i upgraded from 10.4.2

solid so far... most everything seems a bit snappier
post #11 of 49
No problems here.

Having to re-arrange my dashboard widgets though to suit the different shape of Apple's Calendar. What a chore!

Wonder when someone's going to get 10.4.4 working on generic hardware. The race is on.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by ROCjetblue320
The new widgets are really nice.

Yup. Calendar is perfect. I just wish ESPN did Soccer!
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
post #13 of 49
There were also updates to iTunes, QuickTime, some kind of a 15" PowerBook Battery update (other PowerBooks?), and an iPod Updater.
post #14 of 49
Ok, the Calendar widget is nice and all... black is much preferred over red... but seriously, do we need 1.5-2 inch date numbers on our dashboard?!

And there was no increased functionality. humpf. I was hoping to at least see a drop-down iCal to do or events or something...

sheesh.

post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by pmjoe
There were also updates to iTunes, QuickTime, some kind of a 15" PowerBook Battery update (other PowerBooks?), and an iPod Updater.

I have a 12" PB and there is no battery update. =(
post #16 of 49
The line through the date on the Calendar widget seems pointless. I'm assuming it's there to "flip" to the next day when the date changes, but who's really going to be looking at their widget when that happens?
post #17 of 49
Has anyone noticed changes in the way some elements look -- for example, the menu bar?

Also, has anyone noticed a glitch in the menu bar, around the Spotlight icon? See my weblog entry about this.
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by antiorario
Has anyone noticed changes in the way some elements look -- for example, the menu bar?

Also, has anyone noticed a glitch in the menu bar, around the Spotlight icon? See my weblog entry about this.

Mine's like that too. Were you running Iridium before the update? I thought it might be that.
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
Mine's like that too. Were you running Iridium before the update? I thought it might be that.

Alright, it's totally my bad. How could I forget Iridium? I also updated my weblog and covered my head with ash.
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Write
Does this finally fix the Safari Bookmarks not updating via iSync? This has been broken since April in otherwords since 10.4 came.

My bookmarks will sync, but it wants to duplicate all of them! I also hope this fixes that.
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #21 of 49
for Sync problems:

Try RESETTING Sync. In Preferences, go to Advanced and reset one from the other or whatever

I hadnt done that since I started using Sync years ago.. and then I got so fed up of Contact duplicates, bookmark errors and crap like that that I made a "master" copy on my Mac, and reset .Mac from my Mac... and now everythings been good.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
post #22 of 49
10.4.4 working great for me plus it fixed a screen buffer problem with Blender.

2.5 G5 PM
NVIDIA 6800GT
23"ACD
post #23 of 49
Does anyone know if they updated any camera support in .raw??
post #24 of 49
Has anybody opened iTunes????? THEY RUINED IT!

There's this big ugly disgusting bar in the new version when you're in library right under your music, it's like 3" big, takes up a large amount of screen that used to be used to display Artist/Song/Genre etc.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkExpensive
Has anybody opened iTunes????? THEY RUINED IT!

There's this big ugly disgusting bar in the new version when you're in library right under your music, it's like 3" big, takes up a large amount of screen that used to be used to display Artist/Song/Genre etc.

And worse, it dials back to Apple after every song you play telling them what you're playing so that it can change the choices in the mini-store.

Thankfully it can be switched off. Edit -> Hide MiniStore
post #26 of 49
There's a little button on the bottom right next to the equalizer button that shows / hides the itunes store stuff you mentioned.

bit
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkExpensive
Has anybody opened iTunes????? THEY RUINED IT!

There's this big ugly disgusting bar in the new version when you're in library right under your music, it's like 3" big, takes up a large amount of screen that used to be used to display Artist/Song/Genre etc.

Look under: EDIT [hide mini store]

PS Wow 900 th post!!

8)
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
And worse, it dials back to Apple after every song you play telling them what you're playing so that it can change the choices in the mini-store.

Just wondering, does it send data back when the ministore is closed? That would be BAD...otherwise I have no problem with it.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Just wondering, does it send data back when the ministore is closed? That would be BAD...otherwise I have no problem with it.

No, not when closed. Read more about it at...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...1306&lsrc=osxh

Which has been updated with a reply from Apple since the story broke.
post #30 of 49
the 10.4.4 update knocked out some of my programs, flat out lost them for some reason, so i now need to re-download them.

Here is what i lost:

VLC
Omniweb
Graphic Coverter
Coverflow

all of these were shareware stuff.

Anybody else have a similar problem?
Lather, rinse, repeat. Always repeat.
Reply
Lather, rinse, repeat. Always repeat.
Reply
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by david101
the 10.4.4 update knocked out some of my programs, flat out lost them for some reason, so i now need to re-download them.

Here is what i lost:

VLC
Omniweb
Graphic Coverter
Coverflow

all of these were shareware stuff.

Anybody else have a similar problem?

Where did you have them stored?
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #32 of 49
i think they were on the desktop actually.

it's not a problem, i can just download them again. i've never had a problem when upgrading apple stuff before so it just stood out for me really.

I had the apps in the dock too, and their icons turned to question marks i.e ?
Lather, rinse, repeat. Always repeat.
Reply
Lather, rinse, repeat. Always repeat.
Reply
post #33 of 49
VLC 0.8.4 stopped working for me though that may have been the flip4mac QT component or QT 7.0.4 upgrade that all happened at the same time.

It's a terribly fragile application at the best of times.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
Does anyone know if they updated any camera support in .raw??

From what I've read, it doesn't look like it. The changes to RAW is to allow iPhoto to access RAW formats of several recent digital cameras. See About 10.4.4 Update

I read on a digital photography forum that the RAW conversion hasn't changed, to the point that converting a RAW in 10.4.3 and in 10.4.4 using Aperture 1.0.1 is exactly the same (they did a difference on each pixel and there was no difference).

I'm waiting for the MacBook Pro to come out to replace my stolen PowerBook and I want to get Aperture and my new DSLR but unless RAW conversion is fixed it's better off shooting in JPEG.
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Reply
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Reply
post #35 of 49
All it says about RAW support is that it can now work with "several recent digital cameras". What cameras? Why are they so tight-lipped about this?

I've been waiting for Rebel XT support (official!) in Mac OS X for a while now. iPhoto with SOME RAW capability for my camera would be nice. Why should I update to iLife 06 if the support isn't there, though?

Anyone know if Rebet XT support is in there now?
post #36 of 49
Well I got hit rather fast and bad.
My FireWire connection is dead. The system recognises my camcorder and my external CD-writer without a problem, but the moment I start pumping data from one end of the cable to the other the system totally hiccups.
I even got a kernel panic - the first in at least 3 years of extensive OS X use.
When I don't move data via firewire I'm fine.
I am using a Sonnet Tango 2.0 (firewire and usb combo) on a B&W G3 (the onboard FW died shortly before christmas).
I will try to downdate to 10.4.3 somehow.

copland
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by wgauvin
I'm waiting for the MacBook Pro to come out to replace my stolen PowerBook and I want to get Aperture and my new DSLR but unless RAW conversion is fixed it's better off shooting in JPEG.

Aperture isn't supported on the MacBook Pro. Won't be universal binary till March.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by adamrao
All it says about RAW support is that it can now work with "several recent digital cameras". What cameras? Why are they so tight-lipped about this?

I've been waiting for Rebel XT support (official!) in Mac OS X for a while now. iPhoto with SOME RAW capability for my camera would be nice. Why should I update to iLife 06 if the support isn't there, though?

Anyone know if Rebet XT support is in there now?

Is the Canon EOS 350D supported? It's the same camera but with a European sensible name. If so you could probably edit a .plist file to get RebelXT working.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
Aperture isn't supported on the MacBook Pro. Won't be universal binary till March.

Yeah I know. Still by the time I get my DSLR too it will be time for Aperature to come out. Used to have a Canon 300D, but that was stolen too, decided to upgrade to the 20D
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Reply
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Reply
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by adamrao
Anyone know if Rebet XT support is in there now?

My guess that is would be, because Canon uses the same RAW format for their DSLRs. Have a look online for info about the 350D (exact same camera).
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Reply
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update