or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBook (iBook) Predictions

MacBook (iBook) Predictions - Page 3

post #81 of 99
I agree with Relic. Apple has worked toward and even patented things that never saw the light of day, much less went into production. Tablet laptop users are a minority. To build one for Mac users would be catering to a minority in a minority.
Now I'm sure that someone will post a reply on how they would most certainly use a MacTablet if one was ever produced. But you have to think about the fact that the ratio of potential MacTablet users to MacBook and MacBook Pro users, a tablet isn't a smart move financially.

IF in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that Apple does produce a tablet, it won't have anything to do with the MacBook. Steve and the Company learned very early on that education is a big part of Apple's business. A tablet would be added into the Pro Notebook lineup along with the MacBook Pro.

Of course, hell with have to freeze over, and Satan himself will be offering free sleigh rides first.
post #82 of 99
I don't know why people slam tablet laptops. I am purchasing some for my business in two months. I think Apple could unlock the potential of a tablet laptop and make it a powerful market segment.
post #83 of 99
http://www.intel.com/products/proces..._view_ppxe.htm

Core Solo details
------------------

Intel® Core Duo processor T1300\t65 nm\t2MB L2\t
2.16 GHz 667 MHz\t27W

Wow, that is great to be in iBook and Mac Mini (even though it is solo)

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #84 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam

Core Solo details
------------------

Intel® Core Duo processor T1300\t65 nm\t2MB L2\t
2.16 GHz 667 MHz\t27W

Wow, that is great to be in iBook and Mac Mini (even though it is solo)

I'm a little confused about Intels 'core' products. I thought a core duo was essentially two pentium m cores on one chip. Wouldn't that make a core solo basically a pentium m? I'm sure there is a difference, but I've yet to see it.

What interested me on that chart was the 1.5gh core duo. 15 w power consumption. Wonder how much it costs and whether it could find its way into a macbook(ibook).
post #85 of 99
MacBook Mini or Nano - Two Configs
---------------------
10" Wide Screen
1.50 Ghz LV Core Duo
512 MB RAM
60 GB SATA
Super Drive
$1499

10" Wide Screen
1.67 Ghz LV Core Duo
1GB RAM
80 GB SATA
Super Drive
$1699

Standard
-------------
*Airport Extreme
*NO DVI Out (No Extenabilty)
*Ultra Lightweight
*Longest Possible Battery Hours
*White & Black

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #86 of 99
MacBook 13" - Two Configs
--------------------------
13.3" Wide Screen
1.67 Ghz Core Solo
512 MB RAM
80 GB SATA
128 MB ATI X00
$999

13.3" Wide Screen
1.67 Ghz Core Duo
1 GB RAM
100 GB SATA
128 MB ATI X00
$1299

Standard
------------
* DVI Out
* Super Drive
* Airport Extreme
* White & Black (or ALU my guess and NO 13.3" MacBook Pro)

two each new Specs 17" PB replacement for 17" MacBook Pro

This is will cover the entire line ...

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #87 of 99
Just a thought,

If the event is on April 1st, steve will announce new ibooks with solo's and then near the end of the keynote when it passes 12:00 he will say april fools the ibooks have duo's.
post #88 of 99
It'd be pretty funny if Steve actually did that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Derek
Just a thought,

If the event is on April 1st, steve will announce new ibooks with solo's and then near the end of the keynote when it passes 12:00 he will say april fools the ibooks have duo's.
post #89 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
I don't know why people slam tablet laptops. I am purchasing some for my business in two months. I think Apple could unlock the potential of a tablet laptop and make it a powerful market segment.

I am in no way "slamming" tablet notebooks. They are a fantastic tool for some users. But that is the problem, only some users will want them. There is probably 1,200 notebook users to every 1 tablet user. I agree that Apple has the ability to "unlock the potential" of the tablet, but it is not cost effective for them to do so. Simple as that.
post #90 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by opnsource
I am in no way "slamming" tablet notebooks. They are a fantastic tool for some users. But that is the problem, only some users will want them. There is probably 1,200 notebook users to every 1 tablet user. I agree that Apple has the ability to "unlock the potential" of the tablet, but it is not cost effective for them to do so. Simple as that.

IMO the current products are weak. That doesn't mean that there is no market for this product. Sometimes markets are created by superior products(iPods). Sometimes it takes time for the product to catch on(hybrid cars). Innovative products will generally succeed.
post #91 of 99
Although I'm sure I'll be caught out in some way by whatever Apple announces, I'd like to venture a guess as to Apple's regular MacBook lineup.

1.67 GHz Core Solo

13.3" 1280x800 screen
512 MB 533 MHz DDR2 RAM
60 GB Serial ATA hard drive
Combo drive
64 MB GeForce Go 7300
$999

1.67 GHz Core Duo

13.3" 1280x800 screen
512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 RAM
80 GB Serial ATA hard drive
Superdrive
128 MB GeForce Go 7300
$1499

My theory is that Apple really wants to hold on to that $999 starting price, and that the company will also want only one in-between model for the sake of simplicity.

I think Apple will try for a built-in iSight if it's at all possible; I'm not so sure about the Front Row remote, since a 13" screen isn't exactly ideal for viewing from a distance. It depends on cost.

Lastly, ports: on the regular MacBook, Apple will very likely eliminate the ExpressCard slot and switch to a mini-DVI port. It could possibly remove the line-in jack as well (due to cost, space, or just to encourage MB Pro sales).
post #92 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by Commodus
Although I'm sure I'll be caught out in some way by whatever Apple announces, I'd like to venture a guess as to Apple's regular MacBook lineup.

1.67 GHz Core Solo

13.3" 1280x800 screen
512 MB 533 MHz DDR2 RAM
Combo drive
64 MB GeForce Go 7300
$999

1.67 GHz Core Duo

13.3" 1280x800 screen
512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 RAM
Superdrive
128 MB GeForce Go 7300
$1499

My theory is that Apple really wants to hold on to that $999 starting price, and that the company will also want only one in-between model for the sake of simplicity.

I think Apple will try for a built-in iSight if it's at all possible; I'm not so sure about the Front Row remote, since a 13" screen isn't exactly ideal for viewing from a distance. It depends on cost.

Lastly, ports: on the regular MacBook, Apple will very likely eliminate the ExpressCard slot and switch to a mini-DVI port. It could possibly remove the line-in jack as well (due to cost, space, or just to encourage MB Pro sales).

I hope you are right. I really would like to see a MacBook with a core duo chip. 13.3 in screen also a feature I prefer over a larger 15 or 17 in screen.
post #93 of 99
Quote:
IMO the current products are weak. That doesn't mean that there is no market for this product. Sometimes markets are created by superior products(iPods). Sometimes it takes time for the product to catch on(hybrid cars). Innovative products will generally succeed.

That is true. Sometimes a company can create a new market by creating superior products, like the iPod. However you have to look at the fact that the iPod is cross platform. A Mac Tablet would never be cross platform. Mac Tablet users would be a minority in a minority, thus the improbability.
post #94 of 99
Quote:
I hope you are right. I really would like to see a MacBook with a core duo chip. 13.3 in screen also a feature I prefer over a larger 15 or 17 in screen.

I agree with the portability of a smaller screen, but do you think that there will only be one size? I think it would be cool if they kept the 12inch for the base model and made a 14inch widescreen for the higher model.
I also think that they will put 128MB video cards in both of the new MacBooks. Remember, now that they have Intel inside (couldn't help myself) they may be concerned with competing with the PC notebooks in the same price range... What do you guys think?
post #95 of 99
Quote:
I agree with the portability of a smaller screen, but do you think that there will only be one size? I think it would be cool if they kept the 12inch for the base model and made a 14inch widescreen for the higher model.
I also think that they will put 128MB video cards in both of the new MacBooks. Remember, now that they have Intel inside (couldn't help myself) they may be concerned with competing with the PC notebooks in the same price range... What do you guys think?

I would like a 12in model as well. For some reason the subnotebook segment seems to be an area that apple is not focused on. I don't know why, didn't the old 12in powerbook sell well? Most people who have them seem to endorse them enthusiastically.
post #96 of 99
Quote:
That is true. Sometimes a company can create a new market by creating superior products, like the iPod. However you have to look at the fact that the iPod is cross platform. A Mac Tablet would never be cross platform. Mac Tablet users would be a minority in a minority, thus the improbability.

I think apple must innovate. I cannot deny that the current tablet pc market is small. Perhaps laptop users would switch to a tablet mac if it were properly designed. If apple falls into "me to" thinking they will get into trouble. Most of Apple's successful designs can be copied. Even dell offers ultra small form factor computers(mac mini rip off). How long will it take them to put out an Imac derivative? When apple puts out innovative products people pay a premium for them.
post #97 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by Commodus

1.67 GHz Core Solo

13.3" 1280x800 screen
512 MB 533 MHz DDR2 RAM
Combo drive
64 MB GeForce Go 7300
$999

1.67 GHz Core Duo

13.3" 1280x800 screen
512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 RAM
Superdrive
128 MB GeForce Go 7300
$1499

Nice ideas, my fellow canadian.
I also think that Apple will keep the bottom prices for both the iBook and the Mac mini lines.
Will they use the Core Solo or the soon-to-be available M4xx series (same Core but: 1MB of cache instead of 2, 533MHz FSB instead of 667, and roughly half the price)?
The $499 Mac mini and the $999 13" MacBook could share the same architecture/motherboard and specs:
-1.6xGHz CPU
-40/60GB hard drive (hopefully 5400rpm)
-Combo drive
-64MB GPU
-Ethernet/USB/FW/audio in&out/(mini) DVI out
-modem
The Duo models will get the Superdrive and the wireless bundle as well...
post #98 of 99
Quote:
Originally posted by mjteix
I also think that Apple will keep the bottom prices for both the iBook and the Mac mini lines.

if they put the celeron-m 4xx in the ibook, i'd like to see a ~$100 or so price drop. (and i do hope/think they will...)
with dvi out, that would be a super-sweet machine!

(actually, i dont think apple should use the core solo at all. it's to expensive for budget machines, too slow compared to the duo...)
born to lose, live to win
born to lose, live to win
post #99 of 99
Just a thought, as it seems Apple are going to be spending much more on the processor than the G4, whatever happens.

If the ibook is being slimmed down to just one model (13.3") instead of 2, how much is this likely to save Apple in terms of margins? Will it make up for the processor cost?

Also, what if Apple were to offer only one processor speed for the ibook - or even reuse the same motherboard or whatever for the Mac Mini?

I know nothing about these things, but I'm assuming that the less variation there is in product lines, the better their margins, especially when they are suddenly introducing a much more expensive component (Core processor).

I would hope for the Core Duo simply for Rosetta's sake, and DVI out for attaching to modern TVs (mirroring only, obviously, and maybe even dropping VGA for cost).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MacBook (iBook) Predictions