or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources weigh in on Apple's MacBook Pro and iBook plans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sources weigh in on Apple's MacBook Pro and iBook plans

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
Apple Computer's new MacBook Pro line of laptops simply represents a re-branding of its previous PowerBook G4 line and will not affect the company's consumer iBook offerings, which will see their own share of updates in the coming months, sources have told AppleInsider.

Sources familiar with the company's Intel plans say the Mac-maker will continue to build on the MacBook Pro product line later this year with the addition of new models, but will first introduce a fresh wave of iBook consumer laptops in the second calendar quarter.

Come April or May, sources maintain that Apple will revamp its iBook line with a new eye-catching industrial design built around a 13-inch widescreen display and low-end Intel Yonah processor. The new iBooks are also expected to be slimmer than their predecessors, but retain robust enclosures that are ideal for education markets.

At this time, it's likely that Apple may also choose to re-brand its iBooks under a different name. As part of its transition to Intel chips, sources say Apple wants to display its "Mac" trademark more prominently on its personal computers in an effort to both leverage and better distinguish the Mac brand.

Inline with speculation, sources agree that renaming the iBook to "MacBook" would make the most logical sense. This would allow Apple to distinguish is consumer (MacBook) and professional (MacBook Pro) laptops with the "Pro" identifier. However, this remains pure speculation at this time.

Although both the iMac and 15-inch MacBook Pro reportedly entered into a design freeze during the same week of December, Apple has announced that the MacBook Pro won't begin shipping until next month, while the iMac is readily available.

Consumers looking to adopt a new MacBook Pro should not fret, however, as sources say the shipping delay stems almost completely from the company's accelerated transition scheduled and lack of production quality parts -- such as Intel's new Core Duo processors -- and not technological issues.

According to the first set of shipping estimates, Apple is looking to begin delivering the first MacBook Pro orders on or after February 7th.
post #2 of 108
I'm all for these wonderful new Mac laptops but Apple should really rethink the name. 'MacBook' ??? That sounds entirely too similiar to WinBook...
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
post #3 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by baranovich
I'm all for these wonderful new Mac laptops but Apple should really rethink the name. 'MacBook' ??? That sounds entirely too similiar to WinBook...

I agree. The name stinks

-K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
post #4 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by Kasper
I agree. The name stinks

-K

It's too late now. Why didn' they ask us first?

post #5 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by baranovich
I'm all for these wonderful new Mac laptops but Apple should really rethink the name. 'MacBook' ??? That sounds entirely too similiar to WinBook...

I personally favor iPowerMacBook ProNanoShuffle.
post #6 of 108
The name is awful, absolutely awful. Hopefully when they come out with the real Intel PowerBooks they'll just call them PowerBooks.
post #7 of 108
One strong indication that they aren't renaming the iBook is that they didn't rename the iMac. I think they just wanted to get rid of the Power naming to distance themselves from PowerPC. "i" is pretty much Apple's branding (iPod, iLife, iWork, iMac, etc.), and unless they start renaming those other products, iBook should be safe.
post #8 of 108
why not Macintosh iBook and Macintosh ProBook?

okay, yeah, macintosh is a bit old school. but mac probook sounded just as weird to me.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #9 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by nightshift
One strong indication that they aren't renaming the iBook is that they didn't rename the iMac. I think they just wanted to get rid of the Power naming to distance themselves from PowerPC. "i" is pretty much Apple's branding (iPod, iLife, iWork, iMac, etc.), and unless they start renaming those other products, iBook should be safe.

I'm not sure. Jobs did say that they were through with Power, but I think he also said that they wanted to get Mac into all of the names.

I would assume that would mean for the hardware, not the software.

The only machine that will probably remain safe is the XServe.
post #10 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by awinn233
The name is awful, absolutely awful. Hopefully when they come out with the real Intel PowerBooks they'll just call them PowerBooks.

Because the "power" in PowerBook refers to the PowerPC processor in the PowerBooks. Now that the PowerPC CPU is not longer inside it would be stupid to continue to use that name. It would confuse a LOT of people as to whether an intel or IBM Power PC chip was inside.

As for the name MacBook or MacBook Pro I don't like it either. Maybe it will grow on us over time or Steve Jobs will change the name. My guess is that the name won't change.
post #11 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
The only machine that will probably remain safe is the XServe.

Sure. I hear it's going to be called the MacServe Extreme
post #12 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
The only machine that will probably remain safe is the XServe.

XMac?
post #13 of 108
The new nomenclature does open the possibility for a MacBook mini.

Okay half-speculating/half-teasing.

However, think of this. By the end of this summer we might have:
MacBook Pro
MacBook

Mac Pro
iMac
Mac mini
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #14 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabon
Because the "power" in PowerBook refers to the PowerPC processor in the PowerBooks. Now that the PowerPC CPU is not longer inside it would be stupid to continue to use that name. It would confuse a LOT of people as to whether an intel or IBM Power PC chip was inside.

This is untrue. The PowerBook name was introduced when the 100, 140, and 180c models came out (1991, IIRC). These and subsequent laptops (until the PPC603 chip came out in the mid 90's) used 680x0 (x=0,3,4). The Powerbook was (and is) a great name signifying a laptop.

After nearly 15 years, people may have come to associate power with powerpc; however, it was not the original link.
post #15 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabon
Because the "power" in PowerBook refers to the PowerPC processor in the PowerBooks. Now that the PowerPC CPU is not longer inside it would be stupid to continue to use that name. It would confuse a LOT of people as to whether an intel or IBM Power PC chip was inside.

As for the name MacBook or MacBook Pro I don't like it either. Maybe it will grow on us over time or Steve Jobs will change the name. My guess is that the name won't change.

They were Powerbooks long before they sported the Power processors. I had a Powerbook 170 with a 68030 processor.

edit - my post button is no match for that of the poster above me
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #16 of 108
Hey Sabon.... My PowerBook Duo 280c doesn't have a PowerPC processor in it... Sorry to blow a hole through your logic...

PowerBook is the name Apple has given thier laptop computers since 1991. PowerPC chips weren't used in PowerBooks until 1995.

I think the name MacBook is awful... but it ain't gunna change...
It just doesn't sound... well... powerful.

I just hope the iBook remains the iBook.

edit- my posts reflect the speed of my 280c! HA!
post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
XMac?

I don't think so, guys.
post #18 of 108
This is what I'd like to see:

Mac Pro
iMac
Mac mini

MacBook Pro
iBook
MacBook mini
post #19 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabon
Because the "power" in PowerBook refers to the PowerPC processor in the PowerBooks. Now that the PowerPC CPU is not longer inside it would be stupid to continue to use that name. It would confuse a LOT of people as to whether an intel or IBM Power PC chip was inside.

Then why keep the name iMac?
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
Reply
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
Reply
post #20 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by geekdreams
Then why keep the name iMac?

Because Apple wants the name Mac in their HW products.
post #21 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by geekdreams
Then why keep the name iMac?

You're correct. It should now be the iiMac. As in intel internet Mac.
post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by awinn233
The name is awful, absolutely awful. Hopefully when they come out with the real Intel PowerBooks they'll just call them PowerBooks.

What are you talking about?! What are the "real" Intel Powerbooks? What you see is what you get and you are just kidding yourself if you think this is just some stop-gap measure. The MacBook Pro IS the new "Powerbook"
"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver
Reply
"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver
Reply
post #23 of 108
I will agree that iBook and PowerBook makes it easy to tell which one is professional/high-end, but calling the Intel based laptop "MacBook Pro" makes it so you do not have to distinquish between Intel and PPC when talking about or ordering PowerBooks. As far the the name is concerned I like it and though I would like my next laptop to be an iBook, I would not have a problem owning a "MacBook".
post #24 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by nightshift
One strong indication that they aren't renaming the iBook is that they didn't rename the iMac.

Steve Jobs said they wanted "Mac" in the name of all their computer products. They didn't rename the iMac because it already has "Mac" in the name.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #25 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
Steve Jobs said they wanted "Mac" in the name of all their computer products. They didn't rename the iMac because it already has "Mac" in the name.

Yes!

Boy, doesn't anybody ever read previous posts before posting themselves?
post #26 of 108
They should retain the iBook name if for no other reason than to promote cross-product identification with the millions of iPod owners out there who might eventually find it cute to have a laptop that matches their music player.
post #27 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
why not Macintosh iBook and Macintosh ProBook?

okay, yeah, macintosh is a bit old school. but mac probook sounded just as weird to me.

ProBook = Probook (prob book) or problem book. say it as one, probook, lol. Probably didn't pass by Steve. It's STILL better than MacBook Pro...even MacBook would be good, the pro is useless, and the iBook shouldnt be a MacBook anyways (although it will).
post #28 of 108
I've got a crazy idea. How about call it "Mac iBook"?

I just blew your mind.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #29 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Yes!

Boy, doesn't anybody ever read previous posts before posting themselves?

I think we should rename the iPod

And melgross the answer is no.

post #30 of 108
How about just leaving the apple on the lid and calling it "the computer formerly known as the Powerbook"
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #31 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I've got a crazy idea. How about call it "Mac iBook"?

I just blew your mind.

Too many syllables. Also, believe it or not, when we form our mouths to say words the way we do it determines how easy or difficult it is to do, and therefore whether or not we will want to do it.

Remember all of those lines that you are supposed to say several times quickly? They are designed to be difficult to say for that very reason I just mentioned.

Mac Book, is just easier to say than Mac I Book.

The same thing with Mac Book Pro. Easier to say.

Mouth out the words.

Mac Book - Mac I Book.

Even Mac Book Pro is easier to say than Mac I Book.

You'll see what I mean.

Believe it or not, they do think of these things.
post #32 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
I think we should rename the iPod

And melgross the answer is no.


The MacPod!

And, of course, the MacPod Pro!
post #33 of 108
MacBook Pro. I don't have any issues with words "Mac" or "Pro", it's "Book" that sounds dated. Like iPod, Apple could've created entirely new name that has nothing to do with notebook.

But at the end of the day, I don't care about the name as much as the computer itself. Call it X500 for all I care.
post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
The only machine that will probably remain safe is the XServe.

Clearly the XServe will become the BigMac
post #35 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Too many syllables. Also, believe it or not, when we form our mouths to say words the way we do it determines how easy or difficult it is to do, and therefore whether or not we will want to do it.

Remember all of those lines that you are supposed to say several times quickly? They are designed to be difficult to say for that very reason I just mentioned.

Mac Book, is just easier to say than Mac I Book.

The same thing with Mac Book Pro. Easier to say.

Mouth out the words.

Mac Book - Mac I Book.

Even Mac Book Pro is easier to say than Mac I Book.

You'll see what I mean.

Believe it or not, they do think of these things.

Well thank you for being so condescending. Yes, I realize this. Yes, "MacBook" is easier to say than "Mac iBook." The one advantage to the latter, however, is that it keeps the old nomenclature and injects the "Mac" name.

I imagine most people would still call it the "iBook," though Apple's official marketing materials -- and the laptop itself -- would have the full name.

What do I think we'll see? MacBook. But Apple could have a good reason for calling it "Mac iBook," because people could put a little pause in between words: Mac...iBook.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #36 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
Steve Jobs said they wanted "Mac" in the name of all their computer products. They didn't rename the iMac because it already has "Mac" in the name.

Then they should have just renamed it the Mac Powerbook instead of the MacBook Pro. What a waste of a perfectly good and very strong brand name.
post #37 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD
The new nomenclature does open the possibility for a MacBook mini.

Okay half-speculating/half-teasing.

However, think of this. By the end of this summer we might have:
MacBook Pro
MacBook

Mac Pro
iMac
Mac mini

That's my vote as well. I like the new naming scheme. Apples share is rising. The public is becoming more aware of the Mac. Branding the Mac name will be big in the larger picture.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
post #38 of 108
They should've put the "Mac" at the end, as with the iMac. I.e.:

RoadMac
MobileMac

or, my favorite:

Port-a-Mac (and in a new color: bright blue!)
post #39 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Well thank you for being so condescending. Yes, I realize this. Yes, "MacBook" is easier to say than "Mac iBook." The one advantage to the latter, however, is that it keeps the old nomenclature and injects the "Mac" name.

I imagine most people would still call it the "iBook," though Apple's official marketing materials -- and the laptop itself -- would have the full name.

What do I think we'll see? MacBook. But Apple could have a good reason for calling it "Mac iBook," because people could put a little pause in between words: Mac...iBook.

What's the matter with some of you guys? Can't you accept information without feeling belittled by it so that you have to claim that I'm being condescending?

Also, you've been posting long enough to know that sometimes a response isn't entirely meant for the person the post is directed towards, but rather to the communitty as a whole.

That was, I thought, obvious here.

I post what I know. Should I not post because some people might think, incorrectly, that I'm insulting their intelligence?

We all know lots of things, even if just in an offhand way, that we don't think about, until someone brings it up.

That's what these threads are all about, to get the juices flowing, and to share information and ideas, isn't it?
post #40 of 108
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
Then they should have just renamed it the Mac Powerbook instead of the MacBook Pro. What a waste of a perfectly good and very strong brand name.

But, he said, specifically, that they were through with Power. I even think he waved his hand in a dismissive way when he said it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources weigh in on Apple's MacBook Pro and iBook plans