or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › New Apple software shipping in mini packaging

New Apple software shipping in mini packaging

post #1 of 31
While Apple is ballooning into a massive computer and entertainment conglomerate, its products keep getting smaller and smaller. Just as Apple shrunk the iPod with the nano -- and subsequently its packaging -- the company's latest consumer software offerings are also arriving in ultra-thin, super-small retail packaging.

Tipsters note that iLife '06, iWork '06 and .Mac 4.0 retail boxes are no bigger than the iPod nano box, and slightly thinner. The iLife '06 retail box packs only a single dual-layer DVD and associated documentation. Amazon.com is currently offering 10% off both iLife '06 and iWork '06 (each $70.99) and 20% off .Mac 4.0 ($79.99).
post #2 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
While Apple is ballooning into a massive computer and entertainment conglomerate, its products keep getting smaller and smaller. Just as Apple shrunk the iPod with the nano -- and subsequently its packaging -- the company's latest consumer software offerings are also arriving in ultra-thin, super-small retail packaging.

Tipsters note that iLife '06, iWork '06 and .Mac 4.0 retail boxes are no bigger than the iPod nano box, and slightly thinner. The iLife '06 retail box packs only a single dual-layer DVD and associated documentation. Amazon.com is currently offering 10% off both iLife '06 and iWork '06 (each $70.99) and 20% off .Mac 4.0 ($79.99).

Does this mean I need to "upgrade" .Mac? 4.0, what does that mean? This is going to be a bummer if I can't use all the new stuff in iLife with .Mac. A quick answer is all that will suffice.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #3 of 31
Small packaging: good!

Less paper, less ink, less fuel/pollution for shipping... less waste all around.

To mention easier stocking/storage for Apple Stores.

I hate when a little disc and booklet comes in some huge box of trash and air.

(I don't think you need to upgrade--not for money )
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme

I somewhat get the joke, but I am still lost. Is my .Mac account different now? I wouldn't think so. Even going into mac.com I see the big change that everyone else does.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Small packaging: good!

Less paper, less ink, less fuel/pollution for shipping... less waste all around.

To mention easier stocking/storage for Apple Stores.

I hate when a little disc and booklet comes in some huge box of trash and air.

Exactly.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #6 of 31
Yep, got World Music Jam Pack and iLife. That's the size they should be, the minimal. Inside the disc(s) and docs come in a neat little pull-out drawer, which also helps give the box a bit more sturdiness.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #7 of 31
So the only remaining questions are:

a) Why isn't everyone else doing this, and

b) Why haven't they all been doing it for years.

I think part of the reason are probably more about buyer pyschology and marketing/shelf space/visibility than anything else.

Still...I really like to hear this.

I think this is an onften unoticed benefit of the Mac mini (and the iPods). More profit per cubic inch. Laptops are in this group too.

It will be interesting to watch trends in Apple product packaging.
post #8 of 31
Actually PC games adopted a large paperback book-sized box some years ago. These are actually smaller than the iLife/iWork '05 boxes.
post #9 of 31
I wish they would have used DVD cases likes games, movies and MS Office.
post #10 of 31
It says a dual layer DVD. I have a SuperDrive on an PowerMac G5 1.6ghz...it can't burn dual layer, but can it read dual layer?
post #11 of 31
Hi

If your DVD Burner cannot burn DL DVDs it will not read them either.

Rob
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by rob05au
Hi

Rob

However, in the Apple Specifications, it only requires a DVD drive... so something has to work out. This is what I'm hoping on anyways.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
So the only remaining questions are:

a) Why isn't everyone else doing this, and

b) Why haven't they all been doing it for years.

Small things are easy to steal, and software can be expensive.
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by iShawn
However, in the Apple Specifications, it only requires a DVD drive... so something has to work out. This is what I'm hoping on anyways.

Yea, me two. If it dosnt work I'm going to be pissed.
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by icfireball
Yea, me two. If it dosnt work I'm going to be pissed.

If so, Apple would have been getting some calls or emails from very disgruntled customers mourning the lack of information on the system requirements. Many customers from other parts of the world (And some in the US) have already gotten their copies and would have complained.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #16 of 31
Relax all, here's a link that helps to explain it:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....17855&#1517855
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kuehn
Small things are easy to steal, and software can be expensive.

and many packages include big manuals...I like paper manuals. Full paper documentation makes life easy in a pinch.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #18 of 31
Smaller box huh? That must be why they couldn't include the darn spreadsheet...
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #19 of 31
In Europe, many software titles come in DVD cases to reduce self space requirements. Packaging has always been more important in the US than in any other country, but still the box sizes of all software has shrunk in the last few years. Like mentioned above, games are now much smaller. And, if you remember Photoshop way back when, it came in a monster size box (similar to the size of Apple's FCP Studio). Manuals have always been the largest (not to mention most expensive) part of a software package. And now most companies are simply including PDFs.

As far as being able to read a Dual Layer DVD, almost every DVD player in existance can read them. From the start, the DVD specification took into account Dual Layer replicated DVDs (ie commercial DVDs). And just about every DVD movie is Dual Layer. It is only burning Dual Layer DVDs that is relatively new, and because of this not all DVD players will read burned Dual Layer Discs. But replicated discs are no problem.
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Hi

Rob

Eh? Every DVD movie is on Dual Layer discs.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Hi

Rob

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Nautical
Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.

That's what I was going to say.

As for the smaller packaging, it came as quite a shock to me. I was sitting on the couch waiting for the UPS guy... and I see the truck arrive (good thing). But as he walked to the door, I realized the package couldn't be iLife, it was so SMALL (bad thing)! So I sign for it... and open it up, and it IS iLife (good thing).
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Hi

Rob

I'm sorry - what did you say?

DVD-ROMs support dual-layer DVDs. All commercial DVDs that you buy are dual-layer. Sheesh
post #24 of 31
I am quite amazed at the responses regarding dual layer discs. If the DVD drive works, you will be able to read it, the ability to write a dual layer disc has nothing to do with it, otherwise that reasoning could be used to say that a DVD drive can't read a single layer disc if it can't write one.

Only broken DVD drives can't read the second layer of a good disc. I guess Apple overestimated the typical user's understanding of technology in this case, they probably wanted to impress people with the amount of digital material included.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
I think part of the reason are probably more about buyer pyschology and marketing/shelf space/visibility than anything else.

This is most of it. Part of it is to help describe the product, harder to do with a smaller box, at least that is the claim used to get around certain consumer protection laws that the box couldn't be deceptively larger than the actual product.

Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD
Actually PC games adopted a large paperback book-sized box some years ago. These are actually smaller than the iLife/iWork '05 boxes.

The size difference isn't that significant, I would place it as smaller than the smaller game boxes. It is about the size of three CD cases stacked.
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
... All commercial DVDs that you buy are dual-layer. Sheesh

Interesting. I didn't know that.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by iShawn
Interesting. I didn't know that.

Well as in the DVDs of motion pictures. Blank DL Discs are still too expensive - around £6 in England compared to less than £1 for a single layer blank DVD.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
Well as in the DVDs of motion pictures. Blank DL Discs are still too expensive - around £6 in England compared to less than £1 for a single layer blank DVD.

I haven't noticed, I have my good old Nov. '05 Powerbook...
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #28 of 31
Not all commercial DVDs you buy are dual layer. Some don't come with any extras, or just plain don't last that long.

Straight off my memory I can tell you two such movies:

1. The Big Lebowski.
2. Open Your Eyes.

Most do, but not all.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Not all commercial DVDs you buy are dual layer. Some don't come with any extras, or just plain don't last that long.

And some are just mastered single layer to save money, or because it was easier. Particularly, a lot of my circa 2000 DVDs are single layer. My eyes hurt after I watch them. I have nightmares that artifacts are hunting me down and turning me into an oddly shaded square.
post #30 of 31
How do you guys find out all of this info? Apple-i ?
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
post #31 of 31
This is most likely to help conserve energy. Uncle Steve, along with the rest of the company, are all ecologically-minded (and economically, too ... but these are added pluses with the lower costs of less materials). If they make the packaging smaller, more paper and ink is wasted, and more boxes can go in shipping ships/trucks. Ecologically better.

Also, if the lack of system requirements is a problem... why can't they just talk to an Apple Rep or go on the Apple website?

Here's a link to Apple's "Materials Efficiency" program:
http://www.apple.com/environment/des...fficiency.html

Also, here's Apple's "Environmental Management Plan:"
http://www.apple.com/environment/facilities/management/
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › New Apple software shipping in mini packaging