or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Where'd You Get Your AO Nickname?

Where'd You Get Your AO Nickname?

post #1 of 79
Simple question: what's the origin of your nickname on this forum?

Mine? I tend to choose nicknames based on whatever novel I'm reading at the time, so mine comes from Wilkie Collins's Armadale.

What about you?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 79
I got mine from the wonderful David Lynch movie Mulholland Drive.

The name itself is the name of a company in the movie, a pool-cleaning company, owned by this guy Gene, who somehow (it's never explained in the movie) ends up sleeping with the wife of one of the main characters, the director Adam Kesher.

A scene from the movie: notice the truck:

'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #3 of 79
I more or less rig up gonzo media systems on the fly, for a living.

My solution to most problems is to stick another processor/scaler/amp/switcher/ground lifter/gate/patchbay/attenuator/power supply in the signal chain.

That is to say: add a box!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #4 of 79
It's a college nickname. In fact, I'm sure there were a number of people I knew in college that had no clue what my actual name was.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #5 of 79
Employee #1618978 at a large telecom company - it was easy to remember, and guarenteed unique across a lot of sites.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #6 of 79
Retired
Old
Fat
Fart
post #7 of 79
my first name followed by the initial letter of my last name...

temporarily one handed, please excuse the typos
temporarily one handed, please excuse the typos
post #8 of 79
I was billybobsky... (which is pronounced billy bob ski)

derived from billy bob + sky, a combination of my russian and southern US heritage as well as bob, the diminutive form of my middle name robert.

I used to go by brucebob...

hardeeharhar... well that one is self explanatory... I was still pissed at kasper and his banning of my account here and his unequivocal refusal to reinstate my account despite pleading by the other admins here, it was a laugh a retribution...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #9 of 79
Those are some pretty funny ones. I remember billybobsky!

I've had this nickname for as long as I've been using the internet, and I always use it for "anonymous" message boards and things like that. I was in college, around 1990, so this was before the WWW. I chose BRussell because I was taking modern philosophy at the time. I'm too old for philosophy now - it just gives me headaches. But BRussell stuck.
post #10 of 79
IIRC groverat says he made it up. To be honest I don't recall the origin. I'm a big fan of incongrous juxtapostion though so I like the matching of a plain ole kitchen utensil with something dramatic like death. Although I'm also quite fond of another name, SpicyChickenManifesto. Of course in the days of wayback I used to have several different names on this board including EriMac and Woz's Apprentice. Nowadays I tend to go with a simple Eric whenever possible.
post #11 of 79
i used my name but for aim i got mine from the johnny cash song the matidor
post #12 of 79
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #13 of 79
Em, lack of imagination.

This is my name (he says - frantically searching for an edit profile option).
post #14 of 79
Neal Stephenson's book Snowcrash.

Hiro Protagonist, how can you not love that for the name of the lead character?
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin
Em, lack of imagination.

This is my name (he says - frantically searching for an edit profile option).

It's too bad there wasn't another Justin before you. Then you could've been "This Justin."
post #16 of 79
Trick Fall has been my rock and roll name for a long time and when I first got the internet it seemed like a logical choice. It is actually a shortening of my full name, Patrick Fallon and most people who know me offline would know that I am Trick.
post #17 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
I was billybobsky... (which is pronounced billy bob ski)

derived from billy bob + sky, a combination of my russian and southern US heritage as well as bob, the diminutive form of my middle name robert.

I used to go by brucebob...

hardeeharhar... well that one is self explanatory... I was still pissed at kasper and his banning of my account here and his unequivocal refusal to reinstate my account despite pleading by the other admins here, it was a laugh a retribution...

Oh, hey, I didn't know your were Billybobsky! Cool!
post #18 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by trick fall
Trick Fall has been my rock and roll name for a long time and when I first got the internet it seemed like a logical choice. It is actually a shortening of my full name, Patrick Fallon and most people who know me offline would know that I am Trick.

Getting "Trick Fall" out of "Patrick Fallon" is excellent. How old were you when you realized you could do that?
post #19 of 79
Since I'm female, I had to have something cute and girly that would stand out amongst this male majority here. Therefore, I put "Mac," since I'm a Mac geek, and "Doll," which is the "cute and girly" component. I'm 21, so I can also get away with "cute and girly."
Resident Furry, Animation student, and Steve Jobs fan.
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
It's too bad there wasn't another Justin before you. Then you could've been "This Justin."

I just now got that.
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
I just now got that.

What was it BRussell said about me? I'm so self-effacing that I don't care if anyone gets my jokes?
post #22 of 79
Quote:
Oh, hey, I didn't know your were Billybobsky! Cool!

Yeah... didn't want to make it too public...
post #23 of 79
Mother. Thank you for my two syllable name. My brother got three.
post #24 of 79
Ebby is the name of one of my cats. (short for Ebony) He is all-black with long hair and is only affectionate to me. He runs from all my other family members but often will seek me out and wait for me to get out of the shower, follow me anywhere I walk, or nap when I don't.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #25 of 79
I am constantly curious, and lived on the quiet fringe of a city, so didn't want the expected pun, but preferred a modified version...
curious-suburb minus an s.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Mother. Thank you for my two syllable name. My brother got three.

I hope you mean your middle name and not your first, since "Shawn" doesn't have two syllables.
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
I hope you mean your middle name and not your first, since "Shawn" doesn't have two syllables.

I'm guessing his last name is also monosyllabic
post #28 of 79
"Cosmo" was a nickname of mine in high school. It was already taken here. "Nut" was simply added because I can be goofy sometimes. There are no actual ties to Russian space explorers, a.k.a. cosmonauts. This is also the only place I use that handle.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
I am constantly curious, and lived on the quiet fringe of a city, so didn't want the expected pun, but preferred a modified version...
curious-suburb minus an s.

Wow. I just now noticed the middle "u". I always saw your name as "curiousburb."
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Getting "Trick Fall" out of "Patrick Fallon" is excellent. How old were you when you realized you could do that?

Thanks, I think I was 18. I love my regular name, but Patrick Fallon is just not a rock and roll name.

Quote:
Wow. I just now noticed the middle "u". I always saw your name as "curiousburb."

Me too......
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

Damn! I did, too!
post #32 of 79
Same here. This is like one of those perception things where 95% of the people will miss the extra whatever because it's close to something else you expected and your brain helpfully just edits it for you.

Funny thing about brains. Really not that trustworthy.
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Same here. This is like one of those perception things where 95% of the people will miss the extra whatever because it's close to something else you expected and your brain helpfully just edits it for you.

Funny thing about brains. Really not that trustworthy.

Indeed. Most people don't notice that my nickname is actually "NaplesX."
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut

ditto

post #35 of 79
LMAO

I can't believe how many you guys didn't see the extra "U" in curiousuburb's name. You all made my day.
post #36 of 79
I have always wondered how one would pronounce curiousuburb...

curious uburb or curiou suburb?
post #37 of 79
I pronounce it the second way. I figure in this instance, it wouldn't make a difference, really. It's open to interpretation.
post #38 of 79
Funny thing. I don´t really think about how the names are pronounced. For me the names here are signs, made up by collections of letters, not the sounds.

Of course for someone named "Bob" or "Steve" or "New" I do have the sound of the name in my head. But when people started using name like "rageous" and "NaplesX" I just turned the verbalizer off. I mean, it is very unlikely I´ll have to say the names out loud before we reach 10.8 (the one with speech recognition).
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
...But when people started using name like "rageous" and "NaplesX" I just turned the verbalizer off. I mean, it is very unlikely I�ll have to say the names out loud before we reach 10.8 (the one with speech recognition).

it's easy. "rageous" is pronounced "Joe".

post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
I have always wondered how one would pronounce curiousuburb...

curious uburb or curiou suburb?

Believe it or not, given the number of people who miss the third 'u', or just abbreviate it as 'burb, I tend to blur the pronounciation so it often sounds like curiousburb

But thanks for noticing, Mac_Doll. *bats eyelashes*
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Where'd You Get Your AO Nickname?