or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Where'd You Get Your AO Nickname?

Where'd You Get Your AO Nickname? - Page 2

post #41 of 79
heck, until now not only did I not see the "u" in curiousburb, but I thought it was "CURIOUSBOB"

Anyway... my nick is pretty simple...

My first name is Lorenzo... and in college it was deemed too long, so, from day 2 of it, I became "zo" to the friends...
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #42 of 79
been my nickname for years being an auto electrician my friends just used to say give guy a ring he fixes all that 12 volt stuff !!!
post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
But thanks for noticing, Mac_Doll. *bats eyelashes*

Aww. Well you're very welcome.
Resident Furry, Animation student, and Steve Jobs fan.
Resident Furry, Animation student, and Steve Jobs fan.
post #44 of 79
nick-name? I don't have one.. sheesh, i'm so boring.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Indeed. Most people don't notice that my nickname is actually "NaplesX."

Exactly. We get jollied along, training our minds to think of "Midwinter" as having a certain tone, so when you post something like "Anyone second guessing the president should be shot" or "high time we bombed the Sudan into a smoking wasteland", our eyes just move right past it without it registering.

Fascinating stuff.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Exactly. We get jollied along, training our minds to think of "Midwinter" as having a certain tone, so when you post something like "Anyone second guessing the president should be shot" or "high time we bombed the Sudan into a smoking wasteland", our eyes just move right past it without it registering.

Fascinating stuff.

That's exactly right, SDW2001.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #47 of 79
Quote:
That's exactly right, SDW2001.

Excellent. Liberals want to kill your babies.
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Excellent. Liberals want to kill your babies.

Oh, gawd, wouldn't it be funny if AO could figure out how to make it so that when we log in, our posts went under someone else's nickname?
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Oh, gawd, wouldn't it be funny if AO could figure out how to make it so that when we log in, our posts went under someone else's nickname?

You know, that might be an excellent idea.

That way, we'd all be obliged to actually read each other's posts and consider them on the merits, without the convenience of knowing beforehand that it was the work of depraved sociopath.
post #50 of 79
My normal Name translated into Dwarfish, according to this site. I rechecked today, and now I'm supposed to be Kili Rubyguard... Things seem to change quickly in Middle Earth...
post #51 of 79
Quote:
I hope you mean your middle name and not your first, since "Shawn" doesn't have two syllables.

Those of us who have been around a long time may remember that the middle name is "Patrick" and the last name "Joyce," hence the occaisional "SPJ" reference. At some point he truncated it, presumably to avoid confusion with SamanthaJoanneOllendale (SJO), which was a very wise thing to do.

("ah, the seventies, we didn't have time for nothin'")

As for "splinemodel," I needed something unique back in the mid-late nineties. I'm a dork and I like math, plus I'm a 3D modeler who likes using splines. I'm also a runner, and I have a problem with stretchy ligaments such that if I don't prepare properly, my insides start to sag after a while of running. My running friends and former track teammates used to give me shit about my spleen being OK (or not).

The problem is actually the liver, but there's no quasi-double-meaning in "livermodel." I suppose then I could have been "Liverpool," but I'm not from Liverpool, nor do I like anything from Liverpool aside from perhaps Robbie Fowler.
Cat: the other white meat
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by durin oakenskin
My normal Name translated into Dwarfish, according to this site. I rechecked today, and now I'm supposed to be Kili Rubyguard... Things seem to change quickly in Middle Earth...

Good find. My Middle Earth names are damn sexy. Dwarf arnd Orc are the real stand-outs.

Dwarf (sweet): Káin Bloodyhelm

Orc (not too shabby): Grúbshásh the Mucous
post #53 of 79
I'm a DJ in pittsburgh. Obviously I go by Mastamind. It's a name i've used/use on many forums. Anyway check out the link in my sig.
"Life's a game, and I'm the player stuck at the character select screen."
"Life's a game, and I'm the player stuck at the character select screen."
post #54 of 79
Quote:

Cool link. My name translates into: Frerin Ironfury. Gotta like that.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #55 of 79
Mine is Incognito Ringwraith.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Mine is Incognito Ringwraith.

Awesome name. Almost as cool as Hiro Protagonist
post #57 of 79
I dunno where the hell I pulled my name from, but it's not related to that gay-ass band whatsoever.
post #58 of 79
Hmm. I'm sure I explained this before, but AI's search function seems to be wonked. \

Anyways, long story short, it came about due to a group of people I fell in with while I was living in Austin. And no, it has nothing to do with a certain Star Trek hottie.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #59 of 79
jon - from my name
e - electronic
orange - dutch family / fav colour

that's about it.
post #60 of 79
Yose comes from my first Mac, a Yosemite G3.

On that Middle Earth name site, I used both my full family name and reduced family name and came up with Aduiâthion and Celebwethion in Elvish respectively.
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
Hmm. I'm sure I explained this before, but AI's search function seems to be wonked. \

Anyways, long story short, it came about due to a group of people I fell in with while I was living in Austin. And no, it has nothing to do with a certain Star Trek hottie.

She was 7 of 9.

post #62 of 79
I know, but inevitably that's the first question I always get. \
post #63 of 79
I always get the question "Do you really play trumpet?"

I could understand if being a trumpet player were some cool skill that everyone would like to have as they see it in the movies so often.

Hi, I'm Ninjaboy. (Wow, do you really practice martial arts)

But trumpet?

I play trumpet. I'm a man. (Just ask your mom there son.)

Nuff said,

Nick

Edit: That generator is cool. I am Ugdug the Massive.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #64 of 79
it occurred to me that i was abnormal. being a nice guy, i decided i should warn others of this fact.
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
That generator is cool. I am Ugdug the Massive.

That's cool. Perfect name for PO discussions
post #66 of 79
...an iteration on an IATA 3-letter airport code.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #67 of 79
Kenai?

Edit: Hello, ena... I suspected it was you a long fucking time ago... Are you by any chance Fangorn's husband?

What was that other name you used? askolodotna? ah right...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #68 of 79
Oh hey, my orkish name is Ghazkû the Horrible.

I'm coming for you, Ugdug the Massive! Arrrrrrr, she'll be a mighty battle, she will.
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
I am constantly curious, and lived on the quiet fringe of a city, so didn't want the expected pun, but preferred a modified version...
curious-suburb minus an s.

I always wondered what and how to pronounce your nickname. In my mind your 'curious the astronomy guy'.

My name came from a very funny friend in high school who somehow managed to get his name listed in his senior yearbook as 'Carson O'Genic' or maybe it was 'Karson O'Jenic'. I'll have to dig it out one day. Either way, I thought it very funny and clever, so I first used it on these boards when I couldn't think of anything else at the time. It is somewhat ironically humorous since I do research in biomedicine for a living.
post #70 of 79
Quote:

Great site. My Orkish name is 'Grim the Crazed'.
post #71 of 79
Urkrót the Strongclaw
post #72 of 79
Lugdreg the Mauler

Edit:

My wife's is Gutbog the Nasty.
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
[B]...an iteration on an IATA 3-letter airport code.

I always thought it was De-MIlitarized Zone.
post #74 of 79
Nice memory, Spline.

Quote:
Oh hey, my orkish name is Ghazkû the Horrible.

I'm coming for you, Ugdug the Massive! Arrrrrrr, she'll be a mighty battle, she will.

Might as well sing it:

I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide
I've got a 12-sided die
I've got Kitty Pryde
And Nightcrawler too
Waiting there for me
Yes I do, I do
post #75 of 79
Mine came from the movie "The Island" with scarlett johanson and ewan mcgregor
"That's ok, I have a really bad memory, Wow look a beach!" - Caboose
"That's ok, I have a really bad memory, Wow look a beach!" - Caboose
post #76 of 79
Well, it's pretty geeky really, my name akheron is from Greek mythology; it is one of the branches off of the river Styx
post #77 of 79
I didn't wanna be sonny82736452987354@hotmail.com. I like the word booga for the english word bogey/snot crusti was just one stage more disgusting... I now want to change it to septicsonny after recently getting septacemia twice! BAHHH! I'm just plain toxic
"It troolee iz a feersum endjinn"
"It troolee iz a feersum endjinn"
post #78 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by akheron01
Well, it's pretty geeky really, my name akheron is from Greek mythology; it is one of the branches off of the river Styx

It'd be funny if someone had the nickname "Lethe" and everyone who posted after him kept forgetting what the thread was about....
post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
I always thought it was De-MIlitarized Zone.

+1

ANd I never understood why you had taken that name, given your posts in PO
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Where'd You Get Your AO Nickname?