or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple files for iPod Hi-Fi, iPod Boombox trademarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple files for iPod Hi-Fi, iPod Boombox trademarks

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Apple Computer has filed with Hong Kong's Intellectual Property Department for trademarks on two new iPod terms, which appear to reference unreleased iPod products or services, AppleInsider has learned.

In a filing made on September 20, 2005, the iPod maker requested a trademark on the term "iPod Hi-Fi," seemingly in reference to an iPod that can reproduce sound, images and video at a higher fidelity than today's models. Alternatively, it's plausible that the term was a name the company once considered for its fifth-generation iPod players that include video capabilities.

A description of iPod Hi-Fi provided by Apple in the filing describes the device broadly as "Computers, computer hardware, computer peripherals, hand held computers, personal digital assistants, electronic organizers, electronic notepads, apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds, images, or data."

Separately, sources said that Apple is developing an iPod model with a higher-resolution display and about an inch of additional viewing area. It's unclear if, or when, the company intends to release the device, and no further details were provided.

Meanwhile, a second filing made by Apple on June 13th requested a trademark on the term "iPod Boombox." Again, Apple described the device or service broadly, using the same specification description it used in the filing for the iPod Hi-Fi trademark.

Of interest, reliable sources in December reported that Apple was preparing to introduce new consumer electronics at the recent Macworld Expo in San Francisco, including the first "iPod companion" products.

One such product described to AppleInsider was indeed an iPod Boombox, which sources said was "unlike anything seen in boombox world" and strikingly different from "anything Apple has released in the past." While the iPod Boombox failed to surface, Apple did release the iPod Radio product also referenced in the same report.

It's unclear precisely what has become of the iPod Boombox, but at least one journalist has gone on record in saying that some "much cooler" Apple products were originally planned for but later omitted from Apple chief executive Steve Jobs' opening keynote address.

There is no record of trademark filings for the terms iPod Hi-Fi and iPod Boombox at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
post #2 of 39
Curiouser and curiouser!
post #3 of 39
I like the thoughts of iPod Hi-Fi. That could mean sales of hi-definition multi-speakers music. I am looking forward to this.
post #4 of 39
I would love to know and see all those unreleased products over the years. Wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a time machine lying around, but wasn't released cuz' it was a millimeter too thick, or didn't make a big enough "click" when you warped the space/time continuum.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #5 of 39
Oh great, does this mean having to buy my music all over again in "hi-fi"?
post #6 of 39
Definalty one more thing event coming soon..

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo123
Definalty one more thing event coming soon..

Are you just blowing smoke?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Are you just blowing smoke?

Sure is a good guess though!
post #9 of 39
iPod HD (Or so I'd call it) is a little silly with such a small screen, of course it looks high def, it's so small! But higher-bit MP3's would be cool.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by iShawn
iPod HD (Or so I'd call it) is a little silly with such a small screen, of course it looks high def, it's so small! But higher-bit MP3's would be cool.

If they do this, the best part could be that you would have a higher quality signal going to an external monitor or Tv.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
If they do this, the best part could be that you would have a higher quality signal going to an external monitor or Tv.

Yes, or what if they incorporated a sideways screen that would be flipped around when movies or other widescreen media were played. Might make it a little longer though...
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
post #12 of 39
That sort of screen is what I have in mind. Slightly longer screen could also be useful to see more songs in a playlist. I would love to see a much smaller clickwheel-- useable and small, but the screen is like a 16:9 theater screen.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by iShawn
Yes, or what if they incorporated a sideways screen that would be flipped around when movies or other widescreen media were played. Might make it a little longer though...

You mean flipping the screen around mechanically, as on some new phones? I'm not sure Apple would want the complexity. Something to break.

If you mean that the screen would be longer in the vertical position, but when you held the iPod horizontally, to watch movies, it would flip electronically, then sure.

The problem I've had trying out the other horizontal movie players is that they simply aren't comfortable to hold that way. The iPod fits into the hand so well.
post #14 of 39
That comfortable fit is no accident. I would bet on that form factor remaining, but the reorientation of the screen view based on how the device is held.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by ricksbrain
That comfortable fit is no accident. I would bet on that form factor remaining, but the reorientation of the screen view based on how the device is held.

It's not, that's for sure.

I've been trying to figure out how they could keep some of the ergonomics with a horizontal screen, but without some mechanical way of turning the screen, so far I haven't.

I keep coming back to the Phillips demonstration last year of a digital ink screen that rolled out from the side. But, that's delicate as well.

Then there would be a flexible OLED screen that would open with two small flip open doors on the top front of the iPod. Press a button on the top and they swing open from the middle. There you would get a screen the full width of the iPod, plus almost 100% more.

That could be perhaps 4" x 2.2", and the iPod would still be vertical.

I'm working on it! I'm working on it!
post #16 of 39
Maybe a bit complicated?

My view is that the device itself will only have so much of a view, but a new iPod could have hiDef output in a number of different ways.

For me, the portability issue is key-- so we may be able to see a bit more video on a small device, but it's still a small device. Now, if that small device had legs...
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by ricksbrain
Maybe a bit complicated?

My view is that the device itself will only have so much of a view, but a new iPod could have hiDef output in a number of different ways.

For me, the portability issue is key-- so we may be able to see a bit more video on a small device, but it's still a small device. Now, if that small device had legs...

Complicated? Probably. But, I'll bet that we see something like that at some point in time.

Actually, it's just two hinges, and a clasp.
post #18 of 39
I really hope loading times become much quicker if Apple does this - though it doesn't look like it.

My brother has an iPod 5G that he sometimes lets me use, and it's quite annoying to have to wait for a video or vidcast to load.
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
Reply
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
Reply
post #19 of 39
i think the boombox or hi-fi will just be an apple version of such products like the Bose SoundDock. But it will be different perhas enabling us to watch our videos on the ipod 5th gen. and i think it could also have the radio function built in. so therefore a hi-fi. fm tuner and mp3 player, perhaps even video. sounds pretty kool to me!
post #20 of 39
if you have enough time to sit there looking at ur ipod for a whole episode then surely u can wait the 2 seconds it takes to load, "thegreatluke"

lol
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by thegreatluke
I really hope loading times become much quicker if Apple does this - though it doesn't look like it.

My brother has an iPod 5G that he sometimes lets me use, and it's quite annoying to have to wait for a video or vidcast to load.

So, you have a vcr, and a dvd, and a cd player, and all of them start the program right up, the instant you put the media in?

Is this correct?
post #22 of 39
lol
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
So, you have a vcr, and a dvd, and a cd player, and all of them start the program right up, the instant you put the media in?

Is this correct?

Well, no, you have a point.

I know there are technical limitations, but people tend to get pissed off and reset stuff when they see a blank screen while something's loading - they think it's frozen or something. A little Mac-esque spinning circle or something would make the loading time better.
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
Reply
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
Reply
post #24 of 39
i get what you're trying to say, but the spinning wheel would be on for such a small time would it be wort it?. doesnt it have a white play icon in the top left anyway?
post #25 of 39
When I talked about the screen flipping, I simply meant a widescreen format could be used and the iPod would be flipped over. I don't know how you all watch videos on them, but I would do most of my video watching (I don't own an iPod Video) on a flat surface or resting on something, so the fit form factor wouldn't apply to me.

With the widescreen flipped, more information would be available in the screen, and then I think something cool would happen with that. Not only can you see more of what you're browsing so you don't slide through it all so much, but the iTunes art, song info, artist, info and such would allow more information to be displayed as well.

I don't know. Just a thought.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
post #26 of 39
yea i thought about holding the ipod sideways and having a widescreen on an ipod. but then again im left handed so i would want the clickwheel on the left, whereas u right handed freaks would like it on the right perhaps? this could be a problem. it could turn out to be like wierd moulded mice that no one likes. lol

or more seriously, the buttons on the click wheel would change position making it very confusing to use. unless it could only be used sideways. then there would be no prob.
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by nay_acharya
i think the boombox or hi-fi will just be an apple version of such products like the Bose SoundDock. But it will be different perhas enabling us to watch our videos on the ipod 5th gen. and i think it could also have the radio function built in. so therefore a hi-fi. fm tuner and mp3 player, perhaps even video. sounds pretty kool to me!

Sounds like an iDeck to me.

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by nay_acharya
yea i thought about holding the ipod sideways and having a widescreen on an ipod. but then again im left handed so i would want the clickwheel on the left, whereas u right handed freaks would like it on the right perhaps? this could be a problem. it could turn out to be like wierd moulded mice that no one likes. lol

or more seriously, the buttons on the click wheel would change position making it very confusing to use. unless it could only be used sideways. then there would be no prob.

Thinking about it maybe the controlls would be on the headphones like the new iPod radio accessory? That way all the area could be used as a screen.
Another theory of mine is a seperate control altogether using Bue Tooth.
Or Click wheel on the back of the iPod.

Any thoughts anyone?

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Thinking about it maybe the controlls would be on the headphones like the new iPod radio accessory? That way all the area could be used as a screen.
Another theory of mine is a seperate control altogether using Bue Tooth.
Or Click wheel on the back of the iPod.

a screen that big would be amazing. psp style i guess. a serparate conrtoller also sounds good. i was thinking that if apple released a remote it would have a click wheel on it. scrolling is made so much easier. so perhaps they will bring out a remote control with BT instead of ir.

about the click wheel being on the back. im not too sure. u want to see the screen while ur scrolling. it could get a little awkward.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by nay_acharya
a screen that big would be amazing. psp style i guess. a serparate conrtoller also sounds good. i was thinking that if apple released a remote it would have a click wheel on it. scrolling is made so much easier. so perhaps they will bring out a remote control with BT instead of ir.

about the click wheel being on the back. im not too sure. u want to see the screen while ur scrolling. it could get a little awkward.

Maybe an area of the screen could be touch sennsitive where the controls hide when you listen/watch a movie until you touch that part of the screen?
I like the Blue tooth option. Maybe some one could do a photoshop mock up?8)

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply
post #31 of 39
ok its getting a bit unrealistic isnt it now? lol
post #32 of 39
I've thought of a slider that pops out with the clickwheel, but maybe the IR or BT remote IS the best solution since Apple can make the things cross compatible with iMacs and all.

What is significant about "Hi Fi" in Hong Kong? Does it connote the same thing as in the US?
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #33 of 39
I am looking forward to ipod Hi-Fi, if it happens.
"Life's a game, and I'm the player stuck at the character select screen."
Reply
"Life's a game, and I'm the player stuck at the character select screen."
Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
I've thought of a slider that pops out with the clickwheel, but maybe the IR or BT remote IS the best solution since Apple can make the things cross compatible with iMacs and all.

What is significant about "Hi Fi" in Hong Kong? Does it connote the same thing as in the US?


I hope so. They have the same ears, eyes, and brain that we do.
post #35 of 39
Anyone see the story about Napster?

I wonder if it's true?

The numbers from last quarter aren't good at all.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/#011606napster

If you click on "here" at the bottom of the article, where it says Research these companies: Napster, you get a very interesting thread.

And here.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...enies_layoffs/
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Anyone see the story about Napster?

I wonder if it's true?

The numbers from last quarter aren't good at all.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/#011606napster
[/url]

Man, wouldn't it be the cheapest solution (not that it necessarily needs one) for Apple to just buy Naptster and figure out a way of integrating it into the iTunes model. There is room for iTunes to evolve into a better internet "radio" or "music trial" model.

If like Jobs suggested last week, that MS is going to need to get into the mp3 hardware space, Apple could use all of the alliances and name recognition possible. MS could set up a store and sell music at a loss to cut into Apple's market. That requires MS to make deals with the record companies, but if MS wants that space, that may be what it is willing to do, 'a la how they prepped for the X-Box even with the lead Sony had with the PS.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #37 of 39
While a horizontal orientation for a larger screen may be a good idea it would really cause it to loose the essence of an iPod, and the last thing Apple wants is for everyone to be running around saying "its just like a PSP!"

I think what apple will do is to keep the same basic shape of it while making it thinner, expand the screen out to the very extents of the device (meaning loose the margins around the top and sides) and make the display a higher definition.

It may not be all that exciting, but I think its more important for Apple to maintain the look and feel of an iPod than to look like a follower of its main competition.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Jleon
While a horizontal orientation for a larger screen may be a good idea it would really cause it to loose the essence of an iPod, and the last thing Apple wants is for everyone to be running around saying "its just like a PSP!"

It may not be all that exciting, but I think its more important for Apple to maintain the look and feel of an iPod than to look like a follower of its main competition.

The important thing is that an iPod will always be an iPod. Maybe tweaked to make it a better iPod - slightly bigger screen and video, etc. But a real video player would have to be designed from the ground up via Ives, to be an elemental video player and that would be a totally diffeent device.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #39 of 39
I wanted to post these spots that were from products from CES. I was going to do it earlier, but I've been too busy.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...px?i=2665&p=20

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...px?i=2665&p=17

Go to the botton of the page and click on the links for more stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple files for iPod Hi-Fi, iPod Boombox trademarks