or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › ExpressCard Slot vs. PC Card
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ExpressCard Slot vs. PC Card

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
As much as I like the design of the new powerbook, for me there is one major problem.

I use a Kyocera Verizon EvDO card alot, it is something I can't live without. My job requires me to be able to connect to the internet if needed 24 hours a day. I would buy the new MacBook, but I wouldn't be able to use my EvDO card, which is requirement.

The other options as bluetooh cell phone tethering, but Verizon and Cingular don't really support that and there phone don't support it out of box. You can do it with 1x speeds but not EvDO. I have a Cingular Blackberry 8700c and a Verizon Motorola E815, neither service providers support EDGE/EvDO laptop connections.

Until kyocera/motorola come out with an express card (BIG IF), do I have any options?

I understand that PC Card is more of legacy product, but it is product that myself and many mobile professionals need. Any ideas??
post #2 of 9
Pray.

Pray that Express/34 takes off. I am sure that other laptop manufacturers will soon introduce this technology necessitating the card industry to start making cards. I am sure a lot are already in the works.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
I agree, I didn't find much out there, but I didn't look too hard either.

I am hoping that eventually someone will release an EvDO or EDGE card in Express34, but the chances of them supporting mac is low. Verizon just recently released their VZAccess software for my card (and my model only). People released ways of making it work, but the VZAccess software includes all the features and work great, unlike the other ways.
post #4 of 9
Another option is an EV-DO USB dongle; a few companies are working on them.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by jpennington
As much as I like the design of the new powerbook, for me there is one major problem.

I use a Kyocera Verizon EvDO card alot, it is something I can't live without. My job requires me to be able to connect to the internet if needed 24 hours a day. I would buy the new MacBook, but I wouldn't be able to use my EvDO card, which is requirement.

The other options as bluetooh cell phone tethering, but Verizon and Cingular don't really support that and there phone don't support it out of box. You can do it with 1x speeds but not EvDO. I have a Cingular Blackberry 8700c and a Verizon Motorola E815, neither service providers support EDGE/EvDO laptop connections.

Until kyocera/motorola come out with an express card (BIG IF), do I have any options?

I understand that PC Card is more of legacy product, but it is product that myself and many mobile professionals need. Any ideas??

Or you can sign up with sprint who has phones that support EVDO using bluetooth tethering out of the box.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
I didn't know that, do you know which phone(s) support that? (bluetooth tethering)
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Pray.

Pray that Express/34 takes off. I am sure that other laptop manufacturers will soon introduce this technology necessitating the card industry to start making cards. I am sure a lot are already in the works.

ExpressCard is supposed to be the standard thing to have on PCIe based laptops, as in, it's built into the new Core Duo laptop chipset anyway.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by jpennington
I didn't know that, do you know which phone(s) support that? (bluetooth tethering)

Samsung A900, A920, and A940 all support bluetooth tether and EVDO, but you should check if sprint has EvDO in your area first. Also I believe samsung will release bluetooth EvDO phones for Verizon soon as well.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have a motorola e815 evdo phone for verizon, but it can't be tether and requires modifying the seem to make it work. Hmm..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › ExpressCard Slot vs. PC Card