or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Airport Extreme

New Airport Extreme

post #1 of 34
I have not switched yet, I am still on winblows but I have already decided that I will be getting a MacBook Pro (Rev. B). I want to get a Airport Extreme to keep my setup simple. However, I have heard that the Airport Extreme is slower than the compitition and overpriced. I am hoping for a revision to it by fall, but is this plausible or should I not hold my breath? Is the airport extreme really that slow and overpriced that it is not worth it?

Thanks
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by ukieboarder
I have not switched yet, I am still on winblows but I have already decided that I will be getting a MacBook Pro (Rev. B). I want to get a Airport Extreme to keep my setup simple. However, I have heard that the Airport Extreme is slower than the compitition and overpriced. I am hoping for a revision to it by fall, but is this plausible or should I not hold my breath? Is the airport extreme really that slow and overpriced that it is not worth it?

Thanks

1. I don't know if any competitors have the audio streaming feature of AirportExpress...so in that sense it may not have any competitors.

2. I have no complaints at all. I use it only for accessing my broadband connection (cable modem) which is slower than the claimed bandwidth of the AE.
post #3 of 34
Plus you can plug your printer into it and get wireless printing. And a new feature in iTunes lets you stream to multiple speakers.

I have also taken mine on the road with me and used it easily in hotels.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #4 of 34
You guys are talking about airport EXPRESS. I was asking about airport EXTREME. Is there a speed difference and what are the other differences?
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmac
Plus you can plug your printer into it and get wireless printing. And a new feature in iTunes lets you stream to multiple speakers.

I have also taken mine on the road with me and used it easily in hotels.

Wow, i hadn't heard they've allowed for the streaming to multiple expresses at once?!?

Can anyone confirm this?
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by zpapasmurf
Wow, i hadn't heard they've allowed for the streaming to multiple expresses at once?!?

Can anyone confirm this?

New to iTunes 6.0.2.
post #7 of 34
now that's a feature i've been waiting for!

has anyone had any experiences with a dual express setup?

is the music in sync? can you do different songs to different airports from different computers? how's the performance?

im really really really stoked about this!
post #8 of 34
back to the subject at hand: get a Linksys WRT54G. There is really nothing special about the extreme, it just looks good.
post #9 of 34
But is it hard to set up because I really hate my current router.
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by NaturalElement
back to the subject at hand: get a Linksys WRT54G. There is really nothing special about the extreme, it just looks good.

yeah, if you're running in b/g compatibility mode, you lose a lot of speed from what I can tell.

The USB printing and apple's configuration utility are really nice features though. Port mapping is a breeze. That being said, mine needs to be reset maybe once every 2 months for idk what reason (not reset like re-do the settings etc, but just unplug it, plug it back in to reboot)

Oh, don't forget! you can hang that Airport Extreme on the wall! How many other wireless routers can claim that? We all know that that's a lot more important than anything else, isn't it?
post #11 of 34
So "multiple speakers" lets you stream to multiple Airport Express hubs? That's pretty cool--I thought it was for simultaneous use of the computer speakers and those attached to the AE.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by andrewjnyc
So "multiple speakers" lets you stream to multiple Airport Express hubs? That's pretty cool--I thought it was for simultaneous use of the computer speakers and those attached to the AE.

Both.
post #13 of 34
I havent found my Airport Extreme any slower than any other wireless adaptor. I honestly dont notice any difference at all when cruising the net.

Howerver I have to chime in on the Airport Express. It is MUCH better than any other wireless router. It has alot more features that other ones i've used. Although I do have to admit, i have not used any other routers in the $130 price range so that may make a big difference. I just like having WPA2 (personal and enterprise) security, and the ability to adjust the range of the signal. Mine stays on about 10% so that the signal stays w/in my apartment.

Also I like apple's configuration utility. Its much easier to use in my opinion compared to other companys' web based apps. I have used netgear and linksys routers. I like netgear, but i have had nothing but problems w/ linksys. same w/ friends of mine. Linksys my be a subset of cisco systems, but they sure aren't cisco systems haha
post #14 of 34
Is there a difference in range between Airport Express and Extreme? What are the differences that make the Extreme more expensive?
post #15 of 34
now im confused, are we talking about the airport extreme in laptops or the airport extreme base station? i was talking about the airport extreme in the laptops.
post #16 of 34
Aren´t we talking about Steves jet?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Aren�t we talking about Steves jet?

post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by CNUco2007
now im confused, are we talking about the airport extreme in laptops or the airport extreme base station? i was talking about the airport extreme in the laptops.

I was asking about base stations.
post #19 of 34
My girlfriend has an older G3 ibook and the Apple Airport cards on ebay are going for rediculous prices.

Does anyone know if there are any other options to getting wireless web for this laptop. Thanks for any info.
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by zpapasmurf
now that's a feature i've been waiting for!

has anyone had any experiences with a dual express setup?

is the music in sync? can you do different songs to different airports from different computers? how's the performance?

im really really really stoked about this!

I have a dual express setup and 1) the same tune can be streamed to both set of speakers at the same time (Yes in sync) 2) You cannot send different songs to different speakers.

But I hope this will happen in the future.

I suppose you could send music to different Airports as long they are from seperate computers.

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by andrewjnyc

Doesn't work.

When you try to play music over both the AirPort Express and your local computer speakers you get an error message 'The current remote speaker "$AIRPORT_NAME" does not support playback as part of a group. Do you want to switch playback to the computer?'
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by keot
Doesn't work.

When you try to play music over both the AirPort Express and your local computer speakers you get an error message 'The current remote speaker "$AIRPORT_NAME" does not support playback as part of a group. Do you want to switch playback to the computer?'

That IS A LIE !

It works with my Powerbook and 2 airport Expresses. !
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo123
I have a dual express setup and 1) the same tune can be streamed to both set of speakers at the same time (Yes in sync) 2) You cannot send different songs to different speakers.

But I hope this will happen in the future.

I suppose you could send music to different Airports as long they are from seperate computers.

post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by European guy
That IS A LIE !

It works with my Powerbook and 2 airport Expresses. !

Do not accuse me of lying.

It doesn't work on my fully updated PowerBook and Airport Express. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong to get it working, but that's the error message I receive when I try.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by ukieboarder
Is there a difference in range between Airport Express and Extreme? What are the differences that make the Extreme more expensive?

Back on topic:
There should be no difference in range or speed between the two, however, the airport extreme currently includes a modem while lacking an audio output, and I assume the modem is the more expensive feature. Those are the only differences I am aware of. (They used to sell the airport extreme with or without a 56k modem but around the introduction of the express they cut out the no-modem option on the extreme to keep the products separate [/conjecture])

If you have a high speed internet connection with modem just go for the express, otherwise, you can buy the extreme with modem for your dial up connection.
post #26 of 34
My folks had that very Linksys router for our home (sharing a cable internet connection). Even with extra strong antennae, it sitll didn't reach several parts of the house (we have a really wide, but not deep house). Additionally, it was a flaky pain in the neck to configure, and it didn't play nicely with our various computers (one desktop with ethernet connection, 2 laptops with different wireless cards, etc..). We bought an AirPort Extreme base station to replace this Linksys setup. It has worked fantastically, and it was easy to set up from both windows machines and my powerbook. Every function you want or need is pretty accessible and in a logical place in the software. The range seems quite excellent (over 70 feet at 11 megabits, including '60s-style dense firewalls in the bedrooms. I have been most impressed by the AirPort Extreme and I'd recommend it to anyone looking at a wireless router.
15" Dual-Layer SD PowerBook - fantastic,
utterly fantastic
1.8 Ghz Athlon 64 Homebuilt machine - what
will be my last XP machine
1.4 Ghz P4-M old, crusty Compaq Laptop -
slow and full of silly Windows
15" Dual-Layer SD PowerBook - fantastic,
utterly fantastic
1.8 Ghz Athlon 64 Homebuilt machine - what
will be my last XP machine
1.4 Ghz P4-M old, crusty Compaq Laptop -
slow and full of silly Windows
post #27 of 34
Quote:

calm down!
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #28 of 34
Quote:

It doesn't work on my fully updated PowerBook and Airport Express. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong to get it working, but that's the error message I receive when I try.

Keot, I'm sorry ! Didn't mean to call you liar.
I meant iTunes does work with multiple synchronized airport expresses, at least 2 AND computer. I 'm using it right now.

I guess I had too much coffee , sorry bout that...
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Doesn't work.

For some reason the updated airport express firmware doesn't show up in software update. Go to apple.com and download airport express firmaware 6.3
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Lupa
Back on topic:
There should be no difference in range or speed between the two, however, the airport extreme currently includes a modem while lacking an audio output, and I assume the modem is the more expensive feature. Those are the only differences I am aware of. (They used to sell the airport extreme with or without a 56k modem but around the introduction of the express they cut out the no-modem option on the extreme to keep the products separate [/conjecture])

If you have a high speed internet connection with modem just go for the express, otherwise, you can buy the extreme with modem for your dial up connection.

hold on.

so there is no difference between teh base station and the express? really? i thought the base station had a bit more stuff, more range.

i thought the express was a lot shorter of a distance, whats the poitn for the base station then? and isnt it like 100 more dollars?

someone clearify please

cuz i've been using the station for years now
post #31 of 34
Well, the extreme does have another ethernet port and security slot but that's about it (other than the modem). The wireless technology isn't significantly different from the express (same standards/speeds, and presumably, range).

[Edit: Apple has the same range for both on their website.]

Express:
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html
"Range (3)
50-foot range from the base station in typical use at 54 Mbps data rate (range depends on building construction) (2)
150-foot range from the base station in typical use at 11 Mbps data rate (range depends on building construction)"

Extreme (from the apple store online):
"AirPort Extreme provides a range up to 50 feet at up to 54 Mbps and up to 150 feet at up to 11 Mbps for AirPort Extreme-enabled computers."
post #32 of 34
i could be mistaken but since moving to intel hasn't apple adobted new wireless cards? capabilities?
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir
i could be mistaken but since moving to intel hasn't apple adobted new wireless cards? capabilities?

I believe the new Mac book Pros can access the 'a' band a well as g but I'm sure this is not supported by Apple.

post #34 of 34
The main differences between the two products is this, if I remember correctly:

1. The Basestation can act as a NAT when hooked into a hub/swich via wired ethernet. The Express can not. It is NAT for wireless only.

2. The Basestaion has a modem. Express does not.
t
3. The Express can stream audio from iTunes.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Airport Extreme