or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately

Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately

post #1 of 89
Apple will no longer offer its Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, and DVD Studio Pro audio and video applications as standalone products, and come March will choose instead to sell them exclusively as part of the $1299 Final Cut Studio production suite.

The company began informing its resellers of the change this week and also said it has stopped accepting new orders for the current versions of Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, and DVD Studio Pro. "The individual applications in Final Cut Studio will only be available as part of the suite," the company wrote in a memo.

In February, Apple will begin taking orders for a universal version of Final Cut Studio called "Final Cut Studio Universal," which will ship in March for $1299. The company also appears that it will continue to market a PowerPC-only version of the suite under the name "Final Cut Studio 1.1."

The move to an all-or-nothing bundle will mean that new customers will have to fork over a pretty penny for the complete audio and video production suite. However, owners of the current versions of either DVD Studio Pro, Motion, and Soundtrack Pro will be eligible to upgrade to the entire $1299 Final Cut Studio for just $199. Final Cut Pro 5.0 owners will be able to take Apple up on the same "fulfillment" upgrade offer for just $99.

Customers who already own a copy of the the current Final Cut Studio can update to the universal version of the suite through a $49 "Final Cut Studio 1.1 Crossgrade Fulfillment" upgrade. Information on how to obtain this and the aforementioned upgrades should begin appearing on Apple's Web site in early February.

Contacts close to Apple have suggested that fulfillment upgrades may only be available through snail mail, requiring the customer to supply all install discs from the software which they are upgrading.

Apple will also offer $49 crossgrade upgrades for its other Pro applications, Aperture and Logic Pro 7.1. For users of Logic Express 7.1, the upgrade will cost only $29.

There is so far no word on plans for Shake, Apple's $2999 advanced digital compositing software.
post #2 of 89
Charging for a universal binary version of Aperture is a violation of the User License:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....16826&#1516826
post #3 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by pcp_ip
Charging for a universal binary version of Aperture is a violation of the User License:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....16826&#1516826

Quote:
3. Transfer: Updates:
If Apple makes a Platform Update available prior to releasing a future, paid-for version of the Apple Software, you may obtain the platform Update free of change until such paid for version is available. .... blabla

Smack a new icon on the thing, "upgrade" it to 2.0 and they are set.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #4 of 89
I'm sure in March they'll do just that-- and all the Aperture users will have to pay for the bug fixes of the current 1.0.1 (beta) version.
post #5 of 89
So I should upgrade to Motion 2 then get Final Cut Studio for only $200! That's really cheap! Although this is awful that they are stopping the stand-alone packages.

Apple used to be such a nice company.
post #6 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
So I should upgrade to Motion 2 then get Final Cut Studio for only $200! That's really cheap! Although this is awful that they are stopping the stand-alone packages.

Huh?
post #7 of 89
Weird. I would think Soundtrack Pro would appeal to a lot of people who don't do video work.
post #8 of 89
Frankly I don't understand why Apple is doing this.

Final Cut Express and Soundtrack Pro are a nice duo. Not everyone wants or needs Motion.

Perhaps some light will be shed at NAB 2006. Right now this really jacks up the cost of entry for Pro video although I do agree the bundle is valuable IMO.

Perhaps now that they are linked so strongly Apple will add a lot of logic between the apps improving integration. iLife for Pro's.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
In February, Apple will begin taking orders for a universal version of Final Cut Studio called "Final Cut Studio Universal,"

I wonder if Universal Studios will have anything to say about that.
post #10 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Weird. I would think Soundtrack Pro would appeal to a lot of people who don't do video work.

I still think we're going to see Apple release "ProBand" sometime in the near future. I think it'll be alot like a mix of the audio features of soundtrack pro with the software instruments/midi integration of garageband. I believe they will keep Logic as their high end app, but this will pacify all of us who want a more apple like, beefed up "pro" version of GarageBand.
post #11 of 89
THEY MADE EXPRESS TOO GOOD

Express along with DVDSP and maybe motion is enough for 90% or more of the prosumer/weekend vidiographer croud and some pros too, like small time event video producers...they are trying to de-emphasise just how good Express is, shur you can make the video, but you really cant do anything else with it.

I look for a version of DVDsp to be made "express" and vwola -- FCE(which includes soundtrack and live type) will get DVDSE added to the bundle and a $500 price tag.

full time pros will buy pro without batting an eyelash as long as it has more or equil features and costs less than Avid

Prosumers dont have much of a choice on the Apple side...and it beats the hell out of premere elements on the PC
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #12 of 89
<<However, owners of the current versions of either DVD Studio Pro, Motion, and Soundtrack Pro will be eligible to upgrade to the entire $1299 Final Cut Studio for just $199.>>

It's shit like this that really burns me up, having paid full price for the whole kit recently. Unbelievable. Talk about obsolescence. Just buy the low-end of the high-end software and wait until it's bundled with the rest. You guys are killing me.

They'll probably fold the whole kit and kaboodle into one app, calling it either MacMovie Pro, or MovieStudio Pro, or DirectorsCut Pro, and offer it for $999.00... or free with the purchase of every MacMac Quad.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy

So is this really correct?

That you can buy motion 2 now for $300.00...and then for $200.00 more I can upgrade to the full $1200.00 final cut studio suite in a few months????

That just doesnt seem like something apple would normally do.

Is it possible that there is confusion and you actually have to own DVD studio pro and motion 2 together in order to get the upgrade???
post #14 of 89
Apple just updated the aperture site. universal binary crossgrade is free to current users.

"A Universal version of Aperture, which will run natively on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers, will be available before the end of March 2006. New and existing owners of Aperture will be able to crossgrade to the Universal version at no additional charge via Software Update."
post #15 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
<<However, owners of the current versions of either DVD Studio Pro, Motion, and Soundtrack Pro will be eligible to upgrade to the entire $1299 Final Cut Studio for just $199.>>

It's shit like this that really burns me up, having paid full price for the whole kit recently. Unbelievable. Talk about obsolescence. Just buy the low-end of the high-end software and wait until it's bundled with the rest. You guys are killing me.

They'll probably fold the whole kit and kaboodle into one app, calling it either MacMovie Pro, or MovieStudio Pro, or DirectorsCut Pro, and offer it for $999.00... or free with the purchase of every MacMac Quad.

I will agree with you there. Makes me sick I forked out the $$$ for the upgrade to Final Cut Studio from FCP HD 4.5.

I should have waited I guess...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #16 of 89
I don't understand Apple ending the sale stand alone products, and forcing people to buy the bundle. I think that's a bad move. If its true I'l ask about it at NAB.

If you recently bought FC Studio. I don't understand why you'd be upset about Apple charging more for the univeral binary. Are you guys really that intent on buying an Intel Mac right now?

I own FC Studio and it currently works fine. I have no intentionn of buying an Intel Mac anytime soon.
post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme

exactly what i was thinking
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Frankly I don't understand why Apple is doing this.

Final Cut Express and Soundtrack Pro are a nice duo. Not everyone wants or needs Motion.

It does seem to be true, the online Apple store doesn't have them anymore. What is wrong with the Soundtrack that is included with Final Cut Express? Or why leave out DVD Studio Pro? If you have FCE, I would think that DVD Studio Pro would be a more useful add-on than Soundtrack Pro, otherwise one is stuck with iDVD.
post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
Huh?

Right I own Motion - I ca upgrade to Motion 2 for £69 and then buy Final Cut Studio Universal for $200. That's very cheap!

However they shouldn't do selling these as bundles only - they're getting too obsessed with their money and not their customers. If they keep this up they'll lose them.
post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
It does seem to be true, the online Apple store doesn't have them anymore. What is wrong with the Soundtrack that is included with Final Cut Express? Or why leave out DVD Studio Pro? If you have FCE, I would think that DVD Studio Pro would be a more useful add-on than Soundtrack Pro, otherwise one is stuck with iDVD.

Jeff Soundtrack Pro is a LOT cooler. Not even Logic Pro users have sample accurate editing in the main window. The noise reduction tools area boon to anyone who has to get rid of extraneous background noise or AC hum.

Well something certainly is up. We won't know the skinny until NAB but Apple's clearing way for something.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #21 of 89
If I were certain this all was true, I would order Soundtrack Pro (Amazon still lists it.) and upgrade. Will the Universal version bring new features as well, or is it just adding Mactel support? That would be kind of odd since a new version usually rolls out at NAB. Express is usually updated at MWSF, but it was a no show.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #22 of 89
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, SpamSandwich. A dramatic price cut for the whole suite to $999 (jeez, that's what DVD Studio Pro 1.0 cost alone!). To compete with Adobe. (Wasn't TS saying recently that FCP would have a high-priced Extreme edition to compete with Avid?)

Does this foretell a price cut for Aperture, too? And now that Adobe is fighting back with Lightroom, will this give Apple an excuse to come up with a photo editor (like Photoshop or PS Elements) to compete with Adobe?

This should be an interesting year! Forget the Intel hardware--the software and Apple/Adobe/Microsoft politics is interesting in itself.
post #24 of 89
I don't understand. If they're pimping this 'Final Cut Pro Universal' available in March, does that mean there's no new Final Cut Pro coming at NAB in April? Does the 'Final Cut Pro Universal' have any changes other than being a Universal Binary? Why would they convince everyone to spend $49 on this Universal version in late March if they want to sell you Final Cut Studio '06 in April? I'm so confused...
post #25 of 89
Quote:
]
A dramatic price cut for the whole suite to $999

OK....if this is true I take back what I said earlier. This would be great.
post #26 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Cory Bauer
I don't understand. If they're pimping this 'Final Cut Pro Universal' available in March, does that mean there's no new Final Cut Pro coming at NAB in April? Does the 'Final Cut Pro Universal' have any changes other than being a Universal Binary? Why would they convince everyone to spend $49 on this Universal version in late March if they want to sell you Final Cut Studio '06 in April? I'm so confused...

Yeah, Cory, it is confusing. Actually, it makes no sense at all! Maybe Apple will announce some really cool upgrades at NAB, but they won't ship 'til later in the year?

That's the only scenario that makes sense to me. (Other than, well, Apple wants you to pay $49 plus the inevitable upgrade fee in April.)
post #27 of 89
If this is an option for Canadians then I'll just buy soundtrack pro right now and upgrade to the full studio for next to nothing in a few months!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
Yeah, Cory, it is confusing. Actually, it makes no sense at all! Maybe Apple will announce some really cool upgrades at NAB, but they won't ship 'til later in the year?

That's the only scenario that makes sense to me. (Other than, well, Apple wants you to pay $49 plus the inevitable upgrade fee in April.)

OR the $49 option willbe for those who dont want to upgrade, but want compatibility with Macbook, while a new version ships that day...combine that with a price cut and check this out:

FCP 6
*optimized for intel macs
*more real-time features
*some other cool stuff
Motion
*3-d
DVDSP
*some new stuff, I dont really know what DVDSP lacks
Soundtrack pro
*more cool stuff and a version number
$999

add a high end server based project and asset manager (picture Adobe Bridge for FCS on the server side, managing entire libararies of footage stored on xserve raids)
add change-trackable projects (like word documents where you can see exactly what the last user changed) and real time colaboration.
add an app specificly for adding components (nameplates, instant replay, telestrator and the like) to live SD and HD feeds

$2999, Finalcut Extream
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
If this is an option for Canadians then I'll just buy soundtrack pro right now and upgrade to the full studio for next to nothing in a few months!

That's the thing. They're not individually for sale anymore.
post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
OR the $49 option willbe for those who dont want to upgrade, but want compatibility with Macbook, while a new version ships that day...combine that with a price cut and check this out:

DVDSP
*some new stuff, I dont really know what DVDSP lacks

$2999, Finalcut Extream

That $49 option would make sense if it shipped on or after NAB (isn't that in April?) but Apple is saying the universal binary will ship in March. So if FCP 6 isn't announced yet, some people will pay the $49 (not knowing for sure if FCP 6 is coming) and then pay to upgrade again in April. That's what's so annoying about this scenario.

re: DVD SP. The big thing this year will be HD-DVD and BluRay compatibility. I don't think DVD SP 4 does any kind of HD-DVD scripting, and it doesn't have any BluRay compatibility at all. So version 5 should be one of the more desirable upgrades.

re: Final Cut Extreme. DIdn't TS say it would be $9999?
post #31 of 89
Quote:
That $49 option would make sense if it shipped on or after NAB (isn't that in April?) but Apple is saying the universal binary will ship in March. So if FCP 6 isn't announced yet, some people will pay the $49 (not knowing for sure if FCP 6 is coming) and then pay to upgrade again in April. That's what's so annoying about this scenario.

The same people who will buy these units for pro work right now are suckers. Apple will make their noney off of them.

If I am a real pro, I am waiting for the new mac tower and 3 months or so of real world vetting of the pro apps I use.
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
The same people who will buy these units for pro work right now are suckers. Apple will make their noney off of them.

If I am a real pro, I am waiting for the new mac tower and 3 months or so of real world vetting of the pro apps I use.

True, but version 6 will be a universal binary. It won't be Intel-only. Nothing says a pro won't have it running on a non-mission critical machine (PowerPC) while vetting it.
post #33 of 89
So Apple is planning to give current FC owners the ability to switch to Universal without upgrading to 6. You can wait for 6, if you wish and you don't currently need Intel support and you plan on upgrading anyway. That will involve a minority of people until the PowerMac switches. On the other hand, if you own one of the separate apps, you can upgrade to the current studio version in universal format for a good price, but you will have to pay for the upgrade to 6 a month or so later.
post #34 of 89
How much is the upgrade for new versions of Studio? I can't find it listed on Apple's site.

Edit:
I found out the Final Cut to Studio upgrade was $699. Now it's $99. I see why everyone is complaining about upgrading recently. Last year's Studio upgrade was $499.
post #35 of 89
Quote:
In February, Apple will begin taking orders for a universal version of Final Cut Studio called "Final Cut Studio Universal," which will ship in March for $1299. The company also appears that it will continue to market a PowerPC-only version of the suite under the name "Final Cut Studio 1.1.

Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by french macuser
Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???

A universal binary runs on both platforms. Once you've got the UB you automagically have support for Both PPC and Intel. All handled in Xcode with a little code tweak love.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #37 of 89
Quote:
A universal binary runs on both platforms. Once you've got the UB you automagically have support for Both PPC and Intel. All handled in Xcode with a little code tweak love.

Yeah, but FrenchMacuser asked:

> Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???

It's a good question. Maybe the answer is the FCSuite Universal will have a few more features than FCSuite 1.1/PowerPC???
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaine_Michael
I still think we're going to see Apple release "ProBand" sometime in the near future. I think it'll be alot like a mix of the audio features of soundtrack pro with the software instruments/midi integration of garageband. I believe they will keep Logic as their high end app, but this will pacify all of us who want a more apple like, beefed up "pro" version of GarageBand.

They already have a pro music app, it's Logic.

STP is their audio post app, it's disturbing to see it not available separately. Such a move makes it a niche add on product for video folks. And kills any hope of it someday becoming an app that competes with the likes of Pro Tools.
post #39 of 89
Quote:
Yeah, but FrenchMacuser asked:

> Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???

It's a good question. Maybe the answer is the FCSuite Universal will have a few more features than FCSuite 1.1/PowerPC???

Oops my apologies. Good point. Will UB only support a limited amount of PPC Macs or something?
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Oops my apologies. Good point. Will UB only support a limited amount of PPC Macs or something?

The support shouldn't be any different than it is now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately