or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately

Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately - Page 2

post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
That's the thing. They're not individually for sale anymore.

They are not for resell by APPLE right now.
However, other businesses that sold them such as CompUSA are still selling them until their stock runs out.

I went down to my local CompUSA yesterday to get Motion 2.0.
Hell...I dont even have my Mac yet but I will be getting one in the next month or two and was planning on getting Final cut Studio for use in my media portfolio class.

Now if everything works out Ill be able to save $700.00 off of final cut studio. Thats close to the education price....but it will be elligible for upgrades in the future.

If anyone has been considering getting Final cut studio sometime in the future...they should seriously consider trying to aquire one of these individual pieces of software so that they can upgrade to FCS for less later on.
post #42 of 89
Well I smell a bargain! For £200 I can purchase the entire Final Cut Studio suite. I have ordered my upgrade for Motion from Amazon and am awaiting the 1st February!

And the reason they'd keep a PowerPC version is because their entire install base is on PPC!
post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
And the reason they'd keep a PowerPC version is because their entire install base is on PPC!

But a Universal Application is both Intel and PowerPC-based, hence the name Universal. That's why we are all perplexed as to why they would continue selling a PowerPC-only version when they're selling a Universal version that runs on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs. It don't make no kind of sense.
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Cory Bauer
But a Universal Application is both Intel and PowerPC-based, hence the name Universal. That's why we are all perplexed as to why they would continue selling a PowerPC-only version when they're selling a Universal version that runs on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs. It don't make no kind of sense.

Perhaps Universal Binaries will be written to so that they work on both but just work better on intel processors.

If thats the case they might need to keep a seperate PowerPC version of some pro apps around for a while.
post #45 of 89
Quote:

Oh - sorry I think I missed that. It doesn't make any sense - unless the universal is slightly updated?
post #46 of 89
Where aretrhe details, I have DVDSP3, can I upgrade for $200, I guess that will be £200 because we know the exchange rate is 1:1
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Addison
Where aretrhe details, I have DVDSP3, can I upgrade for $200, I guess that will be £200 because we know the exchange rate is 1:1

You'll need DVD Studio Pro 4 to upgrade

This is the link for the UK: http://www.apple.com/uk/finalcutstud...questions.html
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by jsnluera
I went down to my local CompUSA yesterday to get Motion 2.0.
Hell...I dont even have my Mac yet but I will be getting one in the next month or two and was planning on getting Final cut Studio for use in my media portfolio class.

Now if everything works out Ill be able to save $700.00 off of final cut studio. Thats close to the education price....but it will be elligible for upgrades in the future.

Just hope the upgrade offer doesn't have a date of purchase restriction.
post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhrsn

It doesn't say it does - but Apple could change that. At the moment Apple say you can upgrade from Motion 2 to Final Cut Studio for £139.

However even if they did, how can you prove when you bought it - especially if you bought it last year!
post #50 of 89
Quote:
However even if they did, how can you prove when you bought it - especially if you bought it last year!

Product registration or a valid sales receipt?
post #51 of 89
Quote:
Product registration or a valid sales receipt?

Not everyone registers or keeps receipts so I doubt Apple will do this. They have told all resellers in the US to stop selling these apps individually so that'll probably be enough. Maybe there hoping people will get Final Cut Studio who haven't in the past and then will need to upgrade?

Who knows, we'll find out on the 1st Feb!
post #52 of 89
Quote:

Well...I have 20 more days to find out for sure while still being able to return it.

But apple doesnt say anything about that. I doubt they would require a receipt because not too many people would bother keeping it for a stand alone product like motion.

They could maybe do it by registration but I'm guessing they will do it exactly the same way they have always done their registration which should let one purchased recently aplicable for the upgrade.

I'm guessing that the products out there right now will dry up REAL FAST...and that apple will be willing to live with the fact that some people who just recently bought they standalone will be getting a GREAT deal on the upgrade.
post #53 of 89
If you don't already own the Apple products then there are competing ones you can look at. Then again Adobe seems to be doing something similar, and the pricing is not that much different from Apple's.

I am guessing that they are probably trying to make the different tools work closer together. Think iLife for professionals.
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by ajmas
Think iLife for professionals.

Think "Software as a Service".

iLife: $79/year
iWork: $79/year
FCP Studio: $699/year?? $499??
OS X: $129/two-years
.Mac: $99/year

See a trend?

Selling FCP Studio as a suite, Apple is virtually guaranteed $499-$699 per year, rather than selling them individually and having people upgrade only 1 compelling product per year at $199 or so.

The packaging (i.e. suites of products) is like Office but with an annual upgrade. This appears to be the direction software is moving in.
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Think "Software as a Service".

iLife: $79/year
iWork: $79/year
FCP Studio: $699/year?? $499??
OS X: $129/two-years
.Mac: $99/year

See a trend?

Selling FCP Studio as a suite, Apple is virtually guaranteed $499-$699 per year, rather than selling them individually and having people upgrade only 1 compelling product per year at $199 or so.

The packaging (i.e. suites of products) is like Office but with an annual upgrade. This appears to be the direction software is moving in.

Not really true, contrary to most Mac users view of the world, you dont need to upgrade every time something new comes out. In fact you shouldnt. For best proformance in a pro enviornment, you should have your hardware and software on the same upgrade cycle.

If you dont need a new feature, dont upgrade right away, plenty of people still run PS7 because it does the job in a reasonable amount of time on the hardware they use.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #56 of 89
Apple did a giveaway/upgrade thing a few years ago with Final Cut Express. I received version 1 for free by sending them my Adobe Premiere disks. As a result I had no remaining upgrade path to Adobe and was able to get the upgrade price on future versions of Final Cut Express.

This is what they are doing with the new suite. Try to entice new users to get the whole thing at a special low introductory price, then keep them on the hook with annual upgrade charges.

I have no doubt that 1-2 months after I drop $199 to get the suite by owning Motion 2 that there will be a update to all of the programs in the suite costing $299 - $399 for that upgrade. Remember, all you get for your $199 is a universal version of the current shipping software, not any upgrades. Thus one should realistically say that the upgrade from the current version of Motion 2 to the next version of the suite will cost around $500 - $600.

Still a good deal, although I currently have no need for Soundtrack Pro.
The former Freeway Fritz.
The former Freeway Fritz.
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
THEY MADE EXPRESS TOO GOOD

Express along with DVDSP and maybe motion is enough for 90% or more of the prosumer/weekend vidiographer croud and some pros too, like small time event video producers...they are trying to de-emphasise just how good Express is, shur you can make the video, but you really cant do anything else with it.

I look for a version of DVDsp to be made "express" and vwola -- FCE(which includes soundtrack and live type) will get DVDSE added to the bundle and a $500 price tag.

full time pros will buy pro without batting an eyelash as long as it has more or equil features and costs less than Avid

Prosumers dont have much of a choice on the Apple side...and it beats the hell out of premere elements on the PC

sorry. i just burst out laughing when you mentioned premiere elements on PC. !! ROFL such a weird comparison to make

a lot of PC video people though like sony's Vegas it seems
post #58 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
sorry. i just burst out laughing when you mentioned premiere elements on PC. !! ROFL such a weird comparison to make

a lot of PC video people though like sony's Vegas it seems

Well, at work we switched from premere 6 to Vagas, while it is restricted and couldnt even carry FCEs water,, it is faster than premere and it "just works".
post #59 of 89
Quote:
If you dont need a new feature, dont upgrade right away, plenty of people still run PS7 because it does the job in a reasonable amount of time on the hardware they use.

Yeah, but if DVD Studio Pro 5 supports BluRay and HD-DVD, I'll have to spend $$$ to upgrade the whole suite just to get it even though I don't care about FCP 6 or Motion 3 or whatever.

Does that sound economically good? Not to me. I just hope Apple plans on a huge price discount for the suite.
post #60 of 89
I went shopping yesterday and found apple resellers out of all of the pro products. But the apple store still had all of them on the shelf and were selling the. FYI, go to an apple store if you have one and pick em up!

I picked up Motion 2 from a mall apple store.
post #61 of 89
Doh.. ok I'm about to buy a Quad Powemac for Protools productions as well as HD editing production. I currently have the academic version of Production suite but since its the academic version it is supposedly not up-datable to Studio (although I am curious if I bought the studio upgade if it would let me register is.anyone know?
With this new news I am currently thinking that Apple will bundle a quad with Studio software as a bundle for much cheaper than buying them separately either on the february date or at NAB.. also timing wise it is duy for atleast a .5 upgade so this universal thing is suprising.. unless they plan to announce an additional .5 upgade but seems weird to do this so close to NAB..

Ok so I don't want to wait for the Intel Tower, and I want a quad now as well as Studio.. should I wait to feb 1st. Should I buy a Quad now and motion and upgrade feb 1st? Wait till NAB? Screw the purchase and go to Cancun?
post #62 of 89
Screw the purchase. Go to Cancun 8)8)
post #63 of 89
Hmmm, NAB is only end of April (24th to 27th). So if you can wait until May, then it may be worth waiting. But things move so fast anyway, one could argue don't buy anything from Apple ever!

So it seems clear Apple wants to move everyone to Final Cut Studio 5.x PowerPC and Final Cut Studio 5.x UniversalBinary, by end of April. It still is unclear as to why

I have to admit I am not in the income-generating prosumer/pro video industry, so I don't know how this industry schedules its upgrades. As for students moving into the industry, it can be hella confusing... especially with Avid for Mac still only handling standard def. and AFAIK with no clear timeline for Avid for Mac high def. universal binary.

Ah, f***** it let's just buy a PC and use Adobe Premiere Elements!!
post #64 of 89
Quote:
Yeah, but if DVD Studio Pro 5 supports BluRay and HD-DVD, I'll have to spend $$$ to upgrade the whole suite just to get it even though I don't care about FCP 6 or Motion 3 or whatever.

Call me crazy but wouldnt you want, I DUNNO, A blueray or HDDVD burner and blank media, and maybe, just maybe a consumer level PLAYER on the market.

You can make HDDVD content till the end of time but it is sorta pointless if you can not use it.
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Call me crazy but wouldnt you want, I DUNNO, A blueray or HDDVD burner and blank media, and maybe, just maybe a consumer level PLAYER on the market.

You can make HDDVD content till the end of time but it is sorta pointless if you can not use it.

It was just an example, a_greer.

If your videos are simple but your DVDs are complex (again, this is just an example), then you might only upgrade FCP every 2 or 3 versions but upgrade DVD SP every version. A DVD SP upgrade was only $199. An FCP Studio upgrade will be $499? $699?

At least with Adobe you have a choice. You can buy the suite if you want, or not.
post #66 of 89
Quote:
It was just an example, a_greer.

If your videos are simple but your DVDs are complex (again, this is just an example), then you might only upgrade FCP every 2 or 3 versions but upgrade DVD SP every version. A DVD SP upgrade was only $199. An FCP Studio upgrade will be $499? $699?

At least with Adobe you have a choice. You can buy the suite if you want, or not.

They have said that they will not make full versions standalone, but that doesnt mean that once the intel binaries ship you cant upgrade one app at a time, as they didnt specificly say that all upgrades are all-or-none. allthough I really would hesitate to do that as integrated and co-dependent as apps like this can be.
post #67 of 89
Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid on Apple's part?

Sure, it's a great deal for consumers, but what's in it for Apple? People who want those tools are going to buy them anyway and can afford to do so. All I see is less revenue for Apple.

The only way Apple benefits is if there is this huge, untapped resource of would-be pro-users who were waiting for this bundle to become reality. I don't see it.

You price something too low and you end up killing a product like Live Picture.

*shrug*
post #68 of 89
They're already pissing off customers by switching to Intel and the products no longer available as individual programs. To reduce the anger and frustration of the customers who have to switch to Universal Binaries - or upgrade to Final Cut Studio, Apple is making it as easy as possible.

They will also sell more copies of Final Cut Studio. I mean I would never pay £900 for a video app but as I can get it for £200 it will be very easy for me to become dependant on it.

Apple is not only keeping their customers happy by making the universal switch as easy as possible but they're also making their pro apps very cheap.
post #69 of 89
Quote:

Apple is not only keeping their customers happy by making the universal switch as easy as possible but they're also making their pro apps very cheap.

True: I remember when apple had Final cut pro for $999 and Cinema Tools for $999, that is $2000 for film prep, then one day they rolled it all into one, had this been announced before the price was, the reaction would be much the same as the one in this thread. but they priced it with Cinematools and all at the same $999 so who is to say that the whole suit cant be sold for $999 or maybe less and an "express suit" made availible for folks like me who dont need the pro features like Cinema tools but want a lot more than iLife can offer for say $399?
post #70 of 89
I think it's a bad move, but a sweet deal for anybody thinking of buying the suite anytime soon. maybe their expecting the universal version to be a beta of some kind.

just bought soundtrack pro on amazon for $299. Upgrade is $199. that's about $500 for a $1299 suite. Am i missing something? Hope somebody didn't make a mistake when they put the announcement up on the apple web site.
go with the flow
go with the flow
post #71 of 89
Is it true that even a Motion-to-Motion 2-upgrade (about $ 93.-) qualifies for the universal version of FCS?
Forum Mac Observer
How is it?
How is it?
post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_here
Is it true that even a Motion-to-Motion 2-upgrade (about $ 93.-) qualifies for the universal version of FCS?
Forum Mac Observer

Yes - but you then legally need to own Motion 1, if you don't then there's no point buying Final Cut Pro - get it illegally as well.
post #73 of 89
O.k., but if Apple doesn't want people to go this way (buy the Motion2 upgrade, get the FCS package) why don't they just simply ask upgraders to send in the original disk (i.e. Motion) PLUS the upgrade disk (i.e. Motion 2 Upgrade) to get the $ 199.- FinalCutStudio?
Is it illegal? I'm not so sure. After all it's like they invite people to do it this - really cheap- way me thinks, it wouldn't hurt anybody to send in two disks instead of just one, right?
How is it?
How is it?
post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_here
O.k., but if Apple doesn't want people to go this way (buy the Motion2 upgrade, get the FCS package) why don't they just simply ask upgraders to send in the original disk (i.e. Motion) PLUS the upgrade disk (i.e. Motion 2 Upgrade) to get the $ 199.- FinalCutStudio?
Is it illegal? I'm not so sure. After all it's like they invite people to do it this - really cheap- way me thinks, it wouldn't hurt anybody to send in two disks instead of just one, right?

Look maybe it's 'possible' to do it - it's also possible to install an illegal version. Apple's Motion agreement states that Motion 2 Upgrade requires Motion 1. Final Cut Studio Upgrade requires Motion 2 (Upgrade or normal) or any other current app. This means if you buy Motion 2 Upgrade (without Motion) and swap it for Final Cut Studio you will not have a legal version of Final Cut Studio. I don't know why Apple doesn't want both disks. They don't require proof of purchases for the upgrade version either.

I personally would never pay money for anything which is not legal - seems like a waste to me.
post #75 of 89
Anyone already received their Universal Version?
How is it?
How is it?
post #76 of 89
Apple has a week or so left to make do with FCPS and Aperture UBs... seems like they are rushing to get it done or have had it done for a while and are planning something special... but wtf you'd think they would release it ASAP considering so many individuals like myself aren't even attempting to hack the current FCPS to run on Intel Macs.
post #77 of 89
Apple still hasn't budged from their estimated 31st March stance. Since I was expecting it early I'm a little disappointed, however, at least it hasn't been delayed ... yet!
post #78 of 89
Clap your hands. Final Cut Studio is now Universal. The system requirements are listed on the right. Sadly, Motion will not run on Intel Integrated Graphics. Here's hoping Apple comes out with at least one laptop under $2,000 that has a real graphics card.
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Clap your hands. Final Cut Studio is now Universal. The system requirements are listed on the right. Sadly, Motion will not run on Intel Integrated Graphics. Here's hoping Apple comes out with at least one laptop under $2,000 that has a real graphics card.

Great news that it's out, or almost out (mine isn't shipping yet).

But you really weren't expecting to run Final Cut Studio on a computer that costs less than the software, were you?
post #80 of 89
Quote:
Great news that it's out, or almost out (mine isn't shipping yet).

But you really weren't expecting to run Final Cut Studio on a computer that costs less than the software, were you?

I was hoping so, yes. I spoke with an Apple rep shortly after the Mac Mini was released and asked if Motion would be supported by Intel Integrated Graphics once it went Universal. He said that while they didn't know for sure yet, it looked promsing considering it supported Core Graphics. Now we know it doesn't. I could honestly care less if the Mac Mini can run it, but most people agree the iBook-replacement will house the same Intel-Integrated Graphics. I'm planning to pick up a portable as a secondary machine this year, and don't want to spend $2,000 just so Motion can be installed. But a laptop that can't understand all the file types that my main system can won't do me much good. I'm rooting for a portable from Apple in the $1,499 range that is supported by Motion. I don't think that's too much ot ask.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately