or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Whats you speculation on what the updated mac mini spec would be?

Whats you speculation on what the updated mac mini spec would be?

post #1 of 102
Over time, the general line of the apple machines will be switched to Intel processors. Having already seen the MacBook and iMac make the switch, this generally only leaves the PowerMac and mac Mini to change over.

Do you think Apple will keep the same design like they did the iMac ( and principally the MacBook ) when it comes to the Mini?

And do you reckon it'll show the same sort of 'claimed' increases in performance that the new intel machines are supposed to have ?

why I ask? well all but ordered a mac mini, but held off for the Macworld announcements hoping that the mini would be the one with the intel chip. Now that it wasn't, do i wait a little longer, or just get the mini?

cheers

Don
post #2 of 102
I have a feeling there is a thread about this already, but I'll go ahead anyway.

I think the MacMini will be updated very soon at a special event. It will have a single core version of the intel yohona processor, and be priced about the same as it is now. That's my 2¢.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #3 of 102
Yeah, given the prices of the the other Core Duo machines out there (Mac and PC), I find it doubtful that they'd use this chip in a mini, at least at the same price.
post #4 of 102
My speculation: 1.6 GHz Pentium-M, 533 MHz FSB, integrated graphics, 512 MB ram.

In late Q3 06, it can be updated with a Yonah architecture, maybe.
post #5 of 102
I think there is a chance that the iBook and mini will get a Yonah dual core and will be released when the macbook pro and imac goes whatever the other low voltage laptop intel chip is called.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #6 of 102
I believe the Mac mini and the MacBook (iBook replacement) will be released when ready - and April 1st looks like a good bet.

Single core or dual is a good question. The difference between the Solo and the cheapest Duo is (IIRC) $43 in 1,000 lot quantities - probably a lot less for Apple. Having Duos in all Macs looks like a very good marketing tool for little money so there is, I believe, a chance for the Duo.

I think that there are two challenges for Apple with these two lines. the first is the availability of Intel chips (another supply problem for Apple - what a surprise!). the problem here is that PC OEMs also want a lot of the chips and availability will be tight for a little while.

The second problem is actually ramping up to normal production. It's not that easy. Apple has to ensure all component suppliers are doing their job, hold trial production runs and test the computers delivered from these runs, etc. Any final changes have to be made and tested.

Considering that the production guys at Apple have had two major products to get into production already I see them wanting some time to keep control of things. The first out the gate (the iMac) actually started last fall with the last G5 iMac. We didn't realize it at the time, but the new case was the mactel case. Starting early has allowed Apple to ship the new iMacs the day of the Keynote. The MacBook Pro is the next project and the production guys are going full speed on that now. When that is up and running we can look for the Mac mini and the base MacBook.

I'm assuming that the MacBook (not Pro) will be a significant design change and require the most effort. I also believe that the Mac mini will be a shift to Intel without major media enhancements (except for Front Row) because of the demands on the production guys for the MacBook.

As usual I'll probably be wrong.
Ken
Ken
post #7 of 102
I'm thinking the mini will have a Core Solo processor with the same speed grades as the iMac, 512MB Standard DDR-2 RAM with 1 full sized slot like the current mini and same HD options as the MacBook Pro (SATA, same size options, etc.).

It will also come with a remote and a front facing IR port, also like the MacBook.
post #8 of 102
if as some of you have said in other posts, the mini seems to become the heart of the digital living room, so what are the needs of this type unit,....will it need the power for video editing, conversion, what kind of power does a dvr need ??? i think to evaluate the future of the mini you must address what's it suppose to do?? it doen't need to be a transition model for windows users does it??? so maybe there will be several models, basic for basic and move on up to media center.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #9 of 102
From my own point of view, i still think that even with the switch to Intel chips, there is still a market for a transition box where you can ( if you want ) bring your own keyboard, mouse and monitor.

In my particular case, i run an XP Dell laptop at the house and a ThinkPad T41 at work. She is going on some courses soon and those courses highly recommend that she practise and learn stuff herself. With the course being Apple Mac based, she would like an Apple ( woohoo! )

Myself am abit bored of the XP world and Vista is yet to inspire me towards a Windows future . . this makes a good opportunity to switch to Apple.

So what should i get? Well, as nice as the iMac is, i just cant quite endear myself to it. Dont know why, but i'm just not quite a fan of it when i sit in front of one and use it for a while.

However, I am a real fan of the mini when its coupled to a 20" cinema display. ( a setup which can be had for a similar price to the iMac )

Going down this route would mean that if i ever wanted to upgrade the machine, then I could do so by jumping to a PowerMac box or whatever further down the line - but still keep the display and keyboard.

Since MacWorld has been an gone and the mac mini is the same , i'm just curious as to what people reckon the future will be and whether it'll be a significant jump to wait for, or will i suffice with the current one.

Personally, i'm still a little hesitant as to whether the single core mini would handle rosetta on applications such as movie editing and image editing.

So it'll be interesting to see what the general feedback of the intel stuff is like over the next few weeks

Sorry for the long winded reply, but its all good fun to theorise!
post #10 of 102
I just don't see Apple putting Core Solos in any of their *Macs*. They can keep all their dual core machines spaced far enough from each other that they won't step on each others' toes. As has been mentioned before, being dual core across the board is also quite a marketing tool.

That said, I could see a single-core chip (like the Viiv) in a home entertainment device ala the Mac mini. I really don't see the Mac mini disappearing, though. It will have its place and the media center will have its place.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #11 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I just don't see Apple putting Core Solos in any of their *Macs*. They can keep all their dual core machines spaced far enough from each other that they won't step on each others' toes. As has been mentioned before, being dual core across the board is also quite a marketing tool.

That said, I could see a single-core chip (like the Viiv) in a home entertainment device ala the Mac mini. I really don't see the Mac mini disappearing, though. It will have its place and the media center will have its place.

In all of Intel's specs that I've seen, viiv platforms are described as including dual processors.
post #12 of 102
I just hope it won't have integrated graphics...

FrontRow + remote also seem like a fairly good possibility as it seems to be on every new Mac. Besides, how much could that possibly cost Apple to add those?
My computer can beat up your computer.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #13 of 102
I'd love to see

Intel Core Solo 1.6Ghz
80GB SATA drive
Superdrive 8x
Gigabit, Bluetooth,802.11g
512MB of RAM with one open slot
Expresscard/34 slot
No modem
Integrated Graphics
iLife 06

$499
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #14 of 102
Quote:

VIIV spec calls for a dual core Yonah I believe. I think that price and availability are going to dictate the chips used in the Mini, and it doesn't look good for a dual core Yonah based on the dual core Yonah PC computers that have been anounced. I believe that Intel said in their keynote at CES that VIIV computers would make it to market starting at $900, so entry level for Dual Core Yonah computers will probably start out at $899, single core $799. Both of these are well above the Mini's price tag.
post #15 of 102
Intel Core Duo 1.6Ghz
80GB SATA 7200 RPM drive
512MB DDR2 667MHz (max to 1GB)
SuperDrive
Built in Modem, Airport Extremen,BlueTooth, 10/100 LAN
Some Cheap Graphics card /No Intergrated Card PLS
(may be like X300 - the lowest model from ATI or nVidia)
Front Row with Remote
iLife 06

$699

do not think, they will go for Solo Yonah, when you compare the prices from here

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/

i prefer to have some Pentium Processor Clocking more than 3 Ghz than Solo 1.6 Ghz, i think in Mac Mini Watts Per performance is not the problem but heat may be a problem.
641¹ (2M L2 cache 3.20 GHz 800 MHz FSB 65nm) - u can get this almost for Solo pricing which will perform better than Solo Yonah.

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #16 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I'd love to see

Intel Core Solo 1.6Ghz
80GB SATA drive
Gigabit, Bluetooth,802.11g
512MB of RAM with one open slot
Expresscard/34 slot
No modem
Integrated Graphics
iLife 06

$499

No Modem, no way, this for all, you need to have modem if you want to sell it to every one, additional $ for USB Modem, i think mac mini do not need Gigabit LAN. Integrated Graphics possible in Low end mac mini not in the top.

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #17 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
I think there is a chance that the iBook and mini will get a Yonah dual core and will be released when the macbook pro and imac goes whatever the other low voltage laptop intel chip is called.

i think it is time, that APPLE and for us NOT to compare the products within APPLE products...

each one of the APPLE products shd be compared and compete with other PC world products interms of price/performance/design

so having Duo on every machine will not hurt Mac Book Pro
(more business logic than personal sentiments)

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #18 of 102
Sadly I think you are right. I was really hoping that this wouldn't be the case but it does appear that Apple is headed that way. It would be far better for Apple and the industry to see them go with multi-core processors across the board.

Just my 3¢. Inflation you know.

Thanks
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
It will have a single core version of the intel yohona processor, and be priced about the same as it is now. That's my 2¢.
post #19 of 102
1.6 Ghz Core Solo
40 GB SATA 7200 RPM (is there one?)
ComboDrive
Integrated Graphic Card (?)
$499

1.6 Ghz Core Solo
SuperDrive
$599

1.6Ghz Core Duo
80 GB SATA 7200 RPM
Super Drive
128 MB X?00 ATI Card here
$699

more reasonable?
Two USB 2.0, One FireWire
Front Row with Apple Remote
iLife 06
Tiger OS X

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #20 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
No Modem, no way, this for all, you need to have modem if you want to sell it to every one, additional $ for USB Modem, i think mac mini do not need Gigabit LAN. Integrated Graphics possible in Low end mac mini not in the top.

Gigabit LAN is pennies more for the PHY. The modem can be covered by people with the USB modem that Apple sells. Integrated graphics are the standard for PC computers at this pricing level Mac mini buyers have been spoiled with the dedicated graphics.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #21 of 102
Regarding what the Mac Mini specs would be, the iMac and MacBook Pro have shown us that Apple's not going to give us any more bang for the buck in terms of hardware than other PC competitors are offering at the same prices. And that's just fine. But if we want to know what the Mac Mini's specs would be if it went Intel today, then look to see what Dell, HP, etc are offering for $499 and you'll have your answer. Browsing Dell's website for a bit, it isn't much more than what the Mac Mini has today. Maybe an 80GB drive instead of 40GB, throw in Front Row and remote, and either make Airport/Bluetooth or Superdrive standard or sell it for $399 instead of $499.

Quote:
I just don't see Apple putting Core Solos in any of their *Macs*. They can keep all their dual core machines spaced far enough from each other that they won't step on each others' toes.

How can this be accomplished when Apple's putting the lowest-clocked Core Duo in a $1,999 laptop? There's not a Core Duo chip available lower than the one they're putting in the MacBook Pro.

The only way I see Apple's entire line-up being Core Duo is if the iBooks and Mac Mini's don't become Intel-based Macs until the second half of this year, when there's something better to put in the iMacs and MacBook Pro's. If they go Intel before that time, they will have to be Core Solo to have any kind of pricing structure that makes sense. Apple didn't put the same processors in their $499 and $1,999 machines when they were stuck with the G4, and they certainly aren't going to start now that they have a price range of processors to choose from.
post #22 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Gigabit LAN is pennies more for the PHY. The modem can be covered by people with the USB modem that Apple sells. Integrated graphics are the standard for PC computers at this pricing level Mac mini buyers have been spoiled with the dedicated graphics.

I agree on Gigabit LAN.
Modem - still think it will be included, mac mini suppose to be no add-on machine for some normal user.

my question, do integrated graphics support DVI?
apple pushing mini and Cinema Display

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #23 of 102
Only the low end mini has modem as standard.
post #24 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Only the low end mini has modem as standard.

oops,i missed out on that.

what ever it is hope mac mini does not turn out to be another "Dull little boxes"

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #25 of 102
when i checked the price X300 SE 128 MB (PCI Express) it was merely s$ 90 = $50 retailing...

i guess when APPLE orders big quantities it will be much cheaper, i strongly believe they will go with some graphic card whatever it may be

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #26 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
if as some of you have said in other posts, the mini seems to become the heart of the digital living room, so what are the needs of this type unit,....will it need the power for video editing, conversion, what kind of power does a dvr need ??? i think to evaluate the future of the mini you must address what's it suppose to do?? it doen't need to be a transition model for windows users does it??? so maybe there will be several models, basic for basic and move on up to media center.

I like the thinking in the end of this post the best of what I've read so far.

April could see several models of the MacMini, and a new Model for the Apple home media center.

There should be an "INEXPENSIVE" transition box for Windows users, (plus it will have to have enough gut's to run XP as well) Which would be a core solo machine. That would also match what DELL, HP, and others are going to be offering for $499.00, and $599.00.

I like these specs below. I think Apple could do multiple MacMini configurations just for transition boxes, and those who don't need all the glitz of the iMac. Being that Apple wont be blocking out the use of windows there should be a much larger market for various sizes. Start including the good that has come from iPod sales, and there could be a huge market for these. Especially the higher Core Duo version. I don't think windows people will feel as discouraged of trying a Mac as a computer being that running windows shouldn't be a problem. This really is a switchers dream machine with the price, and specs matching those of a basic no frills consumer level PC.

Quote:
1.6 Ghz Core Solo
ComboDrive
$499

1.6 Ghz Core Solo
SuperDrive
$599

1.6Ghz Core Duo
80 GB SATA 7200 RPM
Super Drive
$699

more reasonable?

Specs on a media center I'm not going to contemplate. I think if Apple launches a media center it will be in a new box, and not a mini. They wont use a machine that already has been there to launch something that needs to gather a whole lot of attention. New Apple product designs get 10's of millions in free advertising. I doubt they'll let that fly away from them, plus they need Mac users to be just as excited to generate quadruple the amount of buzz for it, and they still need our sales too.
onlooker

onlooker

post #27 of 102
The media centre should be separate and not a mini. He's my idea:

1.67 Ghz Core Solo
40 GB Serial ATA 5400 RPM (BTO 60GB HD)
512MB RAM (expandable to 1GB)
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
64MB ATI Graphics (maybe 128, or BTO 128MB)
$499

1.83Ghz Core Duo (maybe just maybe 2ghz single)
80 GB Serial ATA 5400 RPM (BTO 7200RPM)
512MB RAM (expandable to 1GB)
Super Drive (DL DVD±RW/CD-RW)
128MB ATI Graphics
$699

No mac should have integrated graphics.

Every mac should burn DVD's by now but my 1.83 model has Dual Layer.

No need for 3 models just a HIGH end and a LOW end. Low end for switchers, high end for people that like regular computing but don't need the dual core power or screen of an imac.

I think macs should be luxury computers and shouldn't even think of themselves as that grey box crap. No need for a crazy dirt cheap machine like other companies put out. All should be quality and people should be made to see that for a slightly higher price they get a real quality machine.

And hell! Bring your old keyboard and mouse if you want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #28 of 102
i agree that the media centre should be a different form - typically one which fits in alongside the shape and size of your average home theatre device like a DVD player or a surround sound amp.
post #29 of 102
Quote:
1.6 Ghz Core Solo
ComboDrive
$499

1.6 Ghz Core Solo
SuperDrive
$599

1.6Ghz Core Duo
80 GB SATA 7200 RPM
Super Drive
$699

more reasonable?
Two USB 2.0, One FireWire
Front Row with Apple Remote
iLife 06
Tiger OS X

I like this, except the integrated graphics, the current Mac Minis have a graphics card, I think the new ones will too. The appearance of the present Mini is appealing, so like the iMac, I think it will be the same.

On the higher end, that is reasonable. A better switcher's Mac.

I have a G5, and an iMac coming. I wish I had a good reason to get a Mac Mini, as I have always liked it since it came out, but one cannot spend everywhere.
post #30 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos 1999
Radeon X300 is a pretty old ATI solution. While Apple often integrated uncompetitive ancient graphic cards in their computers (GeForce 5200 for example), now with Intel the times are changing:
- Apple compete directly with the PC world, they cannot put bad cards anymore,
- graphic interface in Mac Intel is PCI-express and not AGP anymore, this implies only modern GPUs.
So it seems Apple finally get modern cards (cf. Radeon X1600 128/256MB in iMac and MacBook Pro).

Considering Intel integraded "Graphics Media Accelerator", it is here in iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro as GMA950, but not used thanks to the ATI X1600.
GMA950 is included in the i945GM chipset, consisting of the 82945GM northbridge and the 82801GBM southbridge more known as the ICH7-M (which has an Infineon Trust Platform Module). Why Apple didn't use the cheaper i945PM chipset (identical but sans GMA950) is beyond me.

GMA950 is DX9 compatible, implying it support Smart Shaders 2.x thus Core Image. But it is not a perfect solution because while pixel shaders 2.0 are supported in hardware, vertex shaders 3.0 code is software emulated.
GMA950 only in MacBook would be IMHO a step backwards compared to the current Radeon 9550 in iBook, fully Core Image compatible.

So I may be wrong but I bet MacBook will have a 945GM express chipset with GMA950, plus an ATI Radeon X1300 128 MB.

good post from MacBook (iBook) Predictions thread

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #31 of 102
do not know, whether 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard drive will fit into mac mini

current ones has 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD am i rite?

also possiblity 64 MB VRAM in low end models

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #32 of 102
Quote:
do not know, whether 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard drive will fit into mac mini

current ones has 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD am i rite?

also possiblity 64 MB VRAM in low end models

Good point, and they keep costs down, but I would think technology has improved since the first mini, and drives of that size can hopefully achieve 7500 RPM by now. They may cost more which could put them into the higher end version if that is so.
onlooker

onlooker

post #33 of 102
what's in a top line tivo box what kind of processor. i think the mini can be many things. it has to be the most elegant and gorgeous design of anything out there especially for the living room. such a nice form factor. with the apple glow and aura of the ipod. if you wanted a combo unit that included wireless internet, connected to your tv(wireless keyboard), dvr for remote viewing, front row. it doesnt need much processor, maybe lots of ram and a large HD
look at front row, isn't it the best interface. i'd be proud to have that on my 56" dlp tv, and get rid of my cable dvr.
what do consumers need to intergrate all tunes, video, photos etc. mac mini is it in spades basically if you take the low end mac mini even with a g4 add front row, BT, dvi out and airport and bump up the hd, hey that would work great--you could integrate your cable box make like a tivo and you could order your tunes, video's from your couch. many pimped cars use the mini just as we have said. if it's not going to do video conversion etc (that takes a lot of oooph then simple works very well)

how about a wireless router with a large hardrive, mini osx and front row loaded . it would be invisible (my wife likes not to see all the boxes)--you would stream from your router not you computer....cooooooness

I can also understand apple wanting a different form factor for their attack on the living room. but it's hard to see it maybe thiner. or maybe a docking station to put your macbook 13 widescreen----now that would be elegant

remember the living room is the place apple can really set the world on fire (huge huge growth potential all other pc stuff isn't growing)....listen to steve he said in a ecent interview that the pc model...independant pc makers, separate software makers, all these can't give you the integrated simple experience that apple can. apple controls the hardware, software, user interface, and source of entertainment. no other single manufactuer can pull it all together sooooo seemlessly. apple's business/entertainment model (e.g. itunes,ipod) is the best out there....and consumers as well as hardware makers know it. no other manufacturer does it all... that model doensnt work as per steve.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #34 of 102
You lost me with the about the last twenty words NOFEER. I can't seem to get a grip on your intended meaning to all that. It sounds like your saying only Apple does it, and has proven to do it successfully, but Steve says the model doesn't work. It appears contradictory to me.
onlooker

onlooker

post #35 of 102
I think Apple will just say, "fuck it, those Mac users will buy whatever we make anyways!" and slap a Celeron in the Mini.
post #36 of 102
dunt think so ... remember they upgraded 512 MB when 256 MB mac mini hard to find moving ...

consumers are more smart nowadays ever since the days of www everything can found and compared easily now!

putting Celeron in Mac Mini a BIG STEP backward...

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #37 of 102
JD must be kidding
post #38 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by NordicMan
JD must be kidding

Nah, you get cranky when your neck hurts...
post #39 of 102
Are you the AppleOutsider? If you have insider information, please look and see when the new Mac Mini's will be coming out(and tell me, isn't that a reasonable request? )

I love the look of the Mini. All PowerMacs, here, except I ordered a new intel iMac. I have this hankering to get one of those Minis, though. For office use it can be justified.
post #40 of 102
Quote:
Originally posted by NordicMan
Are you the AppleOutsider? If you have insider information, please look and see when the new Mac Mini's will be coming out(and tell me, isn't that a reasonable request? )

I love the look of the Mini. All PowerMacs, here, except I ordered a new intel iMac. I have this hankering to get one of those Minis, though. For office use it can be justified.

For $500 you can't go wrong. But I would wait just a wee bit.... Sooner rather than later they will be Intel-lisized.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Whats you speculation on what the updated mac mini spec would be?