or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Alternative to Little Snitch (for Windows)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alternative to Little Snitch (for Windows)

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
My son's Windows (XP) PC has just joined our home network.

The rest of us (Mac users) are using little snitch: is there a Windows app any one knows of that does the same thing as well as this?

Thanks.
post #2 of 12
Most firewalls do that I think, at least norton and zone alarm do
post #3 of 12
No, he's asking about little snitches ability to detect when a new program is attempting to send out traffic and then giving the user the ability to allow once, allow always, deny once or deny always. Most Firewalls don't notify you and allow interaction like this. Yes, ultimately what little snitch does to to make an entry in the firewall settings, but the monitoring of all traffic and the user interaction all take place before any chages are made to the firewall.

So, the question still remains, is there an equivalent program on the Window's side?
post #4 of 12
No, like Project2501 said, Zone Alarm does exactly that. When any program attempts to access the internet it pops up and asks you if you want to allow it.
Registered: Nov. 1999 - The first time
Reply
Registered: Nov. 1999 - The first time
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
What pubguy said was exactly what I meant...and thanks for the suggestion and clarification. I shall give Zone Alarm a try.
post #6 of 12
ummm... my university uses this really intrusive M$ spyware thingee that pops up basically every time you touch the keyboard to tell you that your computer is doing something.

God help you.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #7 of 12
to the original poster; Outpost firewall free does that nicely also. I've been using it for years without any trouble.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

ummm... my university uses this really intrusive M$ spyware thingee that pops up basically every time you touch the keyboard to tell you that your computer is doing something.

Vista?
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubguy View Post

No, he's asking about little snitches ability to detect when a new program is attempting to send out traffic and then giving the user the ability to allow once, allow always, deny once or deny always. Most Firewalls don't notify you and allow interaction like this. Yes, ultimately what little snitch does to to make an entry in the firewall settings, but the monitoring of all traffic and the user interaction all take place before any chages are made to the firewall.

So, the question still remains, is there an equivalent program on the Window's side?

Comodo.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it will ask way too many things, like 'firefox is trying to use firefox to connect to the internet' and other annoying things.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

My son's Windows (XP) PC has just joined our home network.

The rest of us (Mac users) are using little snitch: is there a Windows app any one knows of that does the same thing as well as this?

Thanks.

it is called Avast 4.8 it is free and it does the same as little snitch. u can download it and it doesn't take up much room, or trend micro and that is free tobut it is better but takes more room.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

My son's Windows (XP) PC has just joined our home network.

The rest of us (Mac users) are using little snitch: is there a Windows app any one knows of that does the same thing as well as this?

Thanks.

Avast well notife u if u accsees a bad site immedly.
post #12 of 12

I use Zone Alarm free with Anti Virus, Firewall, and identity protetion its works like snitch'sit monitors inbound & out bound Traffic

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Alternative to Little Snitch (for Windows)