or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › WARNING Paypal fraud this morning

WARNING Paypal fraud this morning

post #1 of 20
I got a email from paypal (or so i thought) but the first this I noticed was that it did not address me by my full name and secondly once comparing the link they provided to the real website there are distinct differences:

HERE IS THE FRAUD DO NOT LOG ON JUST LOOK AT THE HOME PAGE:
FRAUD PAYPAL

Here is the real one:
Paypal

ALSO, in the email it says two things that tries to divert your attention from noticing that you are not addressed in the email. First it says you account has been overdrawn and secondly it gives you some bogus IP address.

Please be warned. Just wanted to let the community know.

*UPDATE*
Apparently shortly after I posted this the fraud website was taken down . . .

-iGrant
MacBook: 2.0 Ghz 2048 ram, 80gig HDD, OS 10.5 . . . wow
MacBook: 2.0 Ghz 2048 ram, 80gig HDD, OS 10.5 . . . wow
post #2 of 20
My spam address gets ten different eBay fraud mails per day...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #3 of 20
This is a pretty common fraud and has been around for years; nothing new. But if you didn't know, now you do.
post #4 of 20
And that particular fraud site is down already.

Not to worry, it will return in another guise.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #5 of 20
Paypal is evil incarnate IMHO, because of the way in which their terms of service free them from any real responsibility (despite their being at fault many times), and at the same time assert power to freeze funds in your bank account for completely bogus reasons.

There are horror stories galore re: PayPal. Avoid them if you can, and if you have no other choice, then do not hook them up to your main account. Like a secondary email account to funnel spam away from your good account, open a small free checking account with low funds and use that. That way if some dick disputes your end of the bargain and PayPal freezes your account without due diligence, for days or weeks on end, you won't be screwed.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #6 of 20
Yes, I get at least one phishy PayPal, eBay, credit card or bank e-mail a day. I ignore them all to the point that if I ever get a real one, I'll probably dump it as well.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
Yes, I get at least one phishy PayPal, eBay, credit card or bank e-mail a day. I ignore them all to the point that if I ever get a real one, I'll probably dump it as well.

Yeah, that's crossed my mind. It makes wonder if "but I just assumed it was phishing spam" cuts you any slack when you fail respond to that legitimate email instructing you to log on to the relevant site and deal with something.
post #8 of 20
I received to this email as well within a day of iGrant. I could have fallen for it because: I had not touched my PayPal account in six months to a year. I happened to visit my PayPal account to try to transfer the measily few dollars I had in the account. The very next day I got this phishing email in my inbox but noticed the fraudulent URL. Scary stuff - and hopefully it's just a coincidence that I received it within a day of touching my PayPal account.
post #9 of 20
I received a PayPal phishing message today which was particular amusing. It informed me in bright red letters that my account would be shutoff on January 35, 2006!
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 (8GB RAM, 1TB HD)
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 2.5G 8GB
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 (8GB RAM, 1TB HD)
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 2.5G 8GB
post #10 of 20
I have to be very careful to avoid PayPal fraud. I don't want someone to break into my PayPal account and steal all of the money that my friend the Nigerian government minister is going to be sending me any day now.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
I have to be very careful to avoid PayPal fraud. I don't want someone to break into my PayPal account and steal all of the money that my friend the Nigerian government minister is going to be sending me any day now.

What?? You're Dearly Beloved? I thought I was Dearly Beloved! Damn that two-timing Nigerian Oil minister!!

Occasionally, when I'm bored, I'll copy/paste these phishing urls into a browser, and enter my email/password as 'johnnylaw@fbi.gov/busted or something like that. eBay has an email address where you can report phishing sites, and I'll o that on occasion, as well.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by palter
I received a PayPal phishing message today which was particular amusing. It informed me in bright red letters that my account would be shutoff on January 35, 2006!

Damn those automated scripts.
post #13 of 20
...when you link to paypal, make sure to use https. Ala Paypal
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally posted by chris v
What?? You're Dearly Beloved? I thought I was Dearly Beloved! Damn that two-timing Nigerian Oil minister!!

The funny thing is, I actually do know a guy who works in a Nigerian government ministry. Fortunately, he's never asked me to help him get money in or out of his country for him.
post #15 of 20
EVEN I HAVE RECIEVED MANY FRAUD PAYPAL EMAILS ASKING ME TO CONFIRM THE MONET TRANSACTION .I noticed that there are similair stories on aboutpaypal.org" YOU SHOULD VISIT THERE FOR MORE INFORMATION .
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by atulperx View Post

EVEN I HAVE RECIEVED MANY FRAUD PAYPAL EMAILS ASKING ME TO CONFIRM THE MONET TRANSACTION .I noticed that there are similair stories on aboutpaypal.org" YOU SHOULD VISIT THERE FOR MORE INFORMATION .

I posted on the Official Applications thread on this forum about a Password Mananger and Form- Filler program called 1-Passwd which also has a pretty good anti-phishing feature built in.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...53#post1042053 (post #48 )

The Trial version is free and would't you know, the anti-phishing example given involves a bogus email from a fake PayPal site. Try it out.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

That's my money you bastard.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #18 of 20
I've had some PayPal fraud attempts happen as well. However, the one I find happens more often is [b]ebay second chance offer fraud[/i]. I placed a bid on a trumpet and didn't win. I then got at least five second chance offers, of varying sophistication, from five different sellers...all referencing the same item. I've had this happen more and more recently.
post #19 of 20
I get a lot of e-mails at work from "Fill-In-The-Blank Credit Union" about how the security of my account has been compromised. Funny thing is that I've never heard of many of these banks before let alone have accounts there!
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I get a lot of e-mails at work from "Fill-In-The-Blank Credit Union" about how the security of my account has been compromised. Funny thing is that I've never heard of many of these banks before let alone have accounts there!

I got one from "Fifth-Third" bank one time. Then I went to Florida to see my dad and I found out it was a real bank. I really thought it was made up.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › WARNING Paypal fraud this morning