or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iWork off to a respectable start

iWork off to a respectable start

post #1 of 33
According to this article, Apple's iWork is now the #2 "office suite" next to (of course) Microsoft Office: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9593_22-6030011.html

Specifically, Apple garnered 2.7 percent unit share.

Counting only the Mac platform sales, "iWork accounted for 17.4 percent, compared to about 82 percent for Microsoft"

Also:

Quote:
There had been reports, apparently incorrect, on some Apple enthusiast sites that sales of the initial iWork software had lagged.

"One rumor that can be put to rest is that iWork wasn't selling well," Swenson said.

All this without a spreadsheet!

With this early success, it is hard to imagine Apple not doing a spreadsheet (Cells? Numbers?) eventually. I am only disappointed they didn't do it in iWork '06 (I could have finally dumped AppleWorks).

I think Apple is taking things carefully and slowly on this. I suspect that they are getting the behind the scenes stuff working and then then continue to update and upgrade iWork growing it to where they really want it to be.
post #2 of 33
This is awesome!

I don't have a Mac yet but I've played with iWork at the Apple Store and it seems really promising. I'd really like this to fuel Steve to make iWork better (though that's difficult).

I guess I'm not alone :P though some people still seem to think that iWork sucks.
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
post #3 of 33
The really need a spreadsheet. I wonder if Numbers wasn't added because it wasn't ready and it's quality would have taken away with from Keynote and Pages.

To be a serious office productivity suite a spreadsheet is going to be needed. BA's and managers love spreadsheets.

Wonder if there will be an update later this year.
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
post #4 of 33
One question: are they also taking into consideration the fact that iWork is being bundled as of late by Apple? It's a 30-day trial or so, I believe.

If not, then it truly is respectable.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
One question: are they also taking into consideration the fact that iWork is being bundled as of late by Apple? It's a 30-day trial or so, I believe.

If not, then it truly is respectable.

If they are, they have to take in to account that Office is being bundled too, at least as a 30 day trial.
post #6 of 33
Quote:

Article did not indicate one way or the other.
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by wgauvin
The really need a spreadsheet. I wonder if Numbers wasn't added because it wasn't ready and it's quality would have taken away with from Keynote and Pages.

To be a serious office productivity suite a spreadsheet is going to be needed. BA's and managers love spreadsheets.

I guess if I were betting $...I'd say iWork '07 (sadly).
post #8 of 33
Quote:

Don't count on it - I have a feeling that the 5 year deal for Office on the Mac between Microsoft and Apple probably includes putting iWork on the backburner for a bit.
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
Don't count on it - I have a feeling that the 5 year deal for Office on the Mac between Microsoft and Apple probably includes putting iWork on the backburner for a bit.

Maybe, but I doubt it.
post #10 of 33
I think these numbers are a little skewed.

I purchased iWork last year and this year. I did not purchase Office during this time period because I already purchased it the year before.

I doubt that was counted.

While the percentages are probably correct, it almost seems the conclusion they draw in the article is that Pages now accounts for being the word processor on 20% of Macs vs. 80% for Office. I would bet that the great majority of those that have iWork also have Office.

Of course, I really like iWork so go Apple.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Maybe, but I doubt it.

What else could be the reason? Keynote came first, the following year it was iWork with Keynot and Pages, and now this year ??? I mean, they have cells in Pages - so it's obviously in the works.
post #12 of 33
Well, I too would love to be able to use iWork and get rid of Office (my only MS software). But, it has to be compatible with Office(i.e. .doc .xls .ppt) or I don't think it will ever really take off.

BTW I've never used iWork, what are the current formats for pages and keynote?
post #13 of 33
Quote:
What else could be the reason? Keynote came first, the following year it was iWork with Keynot and Pages, and now this year ??? I mean, they have cells in Pages - so it's obviously in the works.

While it may be possible the whole MS deal is the reason, there is a more pausiable explaination: the whole Intel migration has taken more of a focus.

Apple needed to put as much resource in to getting Tiger to run with little to no problems, they needed their iLife and iWork applications to just work on Intel too. To put time and money in to building a spreadsheet app that would have to work on both platforms, and not degrade the work that was done with the rest of iWork to where it is, then it would be easier to pull a half backed application from iWork and release it when it's ready.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by brclark82
Well, I too would love to be able to use iWork and get rid of Office (my only MS software). But, it has to be compatible with Office(i.e. .doc .xls .ppt) or I don't think it will ever really take off.

BTW I've never used iWork, what are the current formats for pages and keynote?

You should check out some of the features on Apples website.

Pages exports to Word, imports Word documents. Keynote is similar to Powerpoint and exports to and imports ppt.

I have had excellent results with Word compatibility for all but the really crazy composed Word documents. I still use Word sometimes but I can say that at least 90% of my needs are filled by Pages.

I am not sure how easy it is to obtain a free trial but if you can, I would encourage it. Get the manual as it is a little different than your normal word processor.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #15 of 33
When I got my Mac back in August I used the Pages trial all the time and fell in love with it. I also had the Word demo and preferred Pages. When it ran out I though I could wait till the '06 version was out, and I was also hoping for Numbers. When the new one came without Numbers I was dissapointed, but I still got it because of Pages.

I don't even touch Keynote because I have no need for a presentation program. iWork is still worth it, atleast to me.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
While it may be possible the whole MS deal is the reason, there is a more pausiable explaination: the whole Intel migration has taken more of a focus.

Apple needed to put as much resource in to getting Tiger to run with little to no problems, they needed their iLife and iWork applications to just work on Intel too. To put time and money in to building a spreadsheet app that would have to work on both platforms, and not degrade the work that was done with the rest of iWork to where it is, then it would be easier to pull a half backed application from iWork and release it when it's ready.

What he said.
post #17 of 33
Yes, I'm also hoping the Intel transition is the main reason for lack of progress on iWork.

I'm surprised by the news. I was under the impression that iWork was not selling well. Even the Apple rep at MWSF suggested to me that progress on the application required a bigger user base. Then again, I never really beleive the guys on the show-floor know anything.
post #18 of 33
This is great news! I just ordered my own copy of iWork '06 after having ran a demo version of '05 for some time. Strangely though, Apple isn't offering swedish localized versions of iWork (neither '05 nor '06) like it does with iLife. I wonder why that is? Not that I need it, but it seems strange that Apple haven't bothered with it yet seeing as this is no longer a version 1.0.
post #19 of 33
Quote:

Well, I disagree with that, because iLife are Cocoa apps, and have had Intel versions from the beginning.

I give them one more year, and if it doesn't come then it's not going to happen.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Well, I disagree with that, because iLife are Cocoa apps, and have had Intel versions from the beginning.

But isn't an issue of making an Intel version of the spreadsheet (that is the flip of a switch if Apple built it with Xcode). It is, you know, actually writing a decent spreadsheet, which is, undoubtedly, no cake walk.
post #21 of 33
I doubt that Steve would agree to hobble iWork in exchange for a 5 year office deal - since that deal benefits both parties (more people will buy Office::mac if they know that there will be 5 years support for it).

I bet the deal was "no iWork on Windows".
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #22 of 33
If you all recall, the first rumors of what became pages surfaced in late 2003, and folks were surprised when it didn't materialize at MWSF 2004. It wasn't until a year later that Pages 1.0 was unveiled, which was two years after Keynote 1.0 was released. It seems that every two years is Apple's schedule for releasing new parts of iWork. Now, I'd like to see that accelerated (I no longer use any MS software but Excel, thanks to Pages, but I'll always keep a copy of the latest version of Office on my Mac just in case), but given the transition situation, I think it's understandable that Numbers is taking the same amount of time to produce as Pages did.

Pages 2.0 is really splendid, by the way. I was fond of the first version, but I'm thrilled with the new one.
post #23 of 33
Pages is so very far behind anything that could be considered for full time use, at least in my experience of using it. For it to be number two says alot about what Office has done to the competition. I have used OpenOffice, in my limited amount of time with it, it is a real competitor to Office, at least on the Windows side. I have OO 2.0 for OS X running in X11 and it is okay, but there is a long way to go.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #24 of 33
Well, this only takes into account US Retail Sales and since OpenOffice is not sold, but distributed freely, it is not even included into the equation.

That's why this is a very limited 'analysis' that actually proves nothing.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Well, this only takes into account US Retail Sales and since OpenOffice is not sold, but distributed freely, it is not even included into the equation.

Well limited, yes. Proves? Not sure that was the goal. Does seem to indicate that things weren't quite as dire as those not in the know had previously thought. It is early. It probably gives Apple some reason to continue development at the very least.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Proves? Not sure that was the goal.

The goal was to establish who the leader and the competitors are, and to find out who's #1, who's #2 and prove it with facts (research). When you make a claim ('Office is the leader') you need to also prove it.

The claim was that iWork is #2, and Corel is wrong in saying they're #2. Seeing as the analysis is limited at best, and flawed at worst, it doesn't really prove anything. iWork may very well be #2, and Corel may very well suck so bad that it can't beat a half-baked office suite, but that is not proven in this article as the supporting evidence is weak and entirely inadequate.
post #27 of 33
Quote:
The goal was to establish who the leader and the competitors are, and to find out who's #1, who's #2 and prove it with facts (research). When you make a claim ('Office is the leader') you need to also prove it.

The claim was that iWork is #2, and Corel is wrong in saying they're #2. Seeing as the analysis is limited at best, and flawed at worst, it doesn't really prove anything. iWork may very well be #2, and Corel may very well suck so bad that it can't beat a half-baked office suite, but that is not proven in this article as the supporting evidence is weak and entirely inadequate.

And the article qualifies its scope in the second friggin' sentence (in bold no less):

Quote:
Corel bills its WordPerfect Office software as "the world's leading alternative to Microsoft Office." But when it comes to U.S. retail sales, Corel lost the No. 2 spot in 2005 to a somewhat unlikely competitor: Apple Computer's iWork.
post #28 of 33
Quote:
And the article qualifies its scope in the second friggin' sentence (in bold no less):

Which is exactly what makes it a limited, weak and inadequate piece of 'analysis' for what it claims to do.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Which is exactly what makes it a limited, weak and inadequate piece of 'analysis' for what it claims to do.

It is only making claims about the U.S. anyway. And only on a single facet (market share) of sold products. Don't get your undies in a bunch over it.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by DanMacMan
[B]Pages is so very far behind anything that could be considered for full time use, at least in my experience of using it.

I've written term papers, screenplay outlines and a good chunk of a novel in Pages. Now that it has comments (which successfully round trip between .pages and .doc file translations), the only real major-mojo feature I'm missing is versions -- and that feature can sometimes bite you in the ass.

What is pages missing in terms of needed word processor functionality?
post #31 of 33
For me - Word supported Reviewing. But I use Pages for all my docs - and its great!
post #32 of 33
Quote:

The reality of life and business is most decisions get made without perfect information. You take the best you can find and work with it. Virtually never in life do you find information that conclusively proves everything. It takes too long and is generally just too hard to find.

This is why analysts are highly sought after. They will take information from a variety of sources that are far from perfect and put together what amounts to a reasonable view of the future. Doing that job well is very tough but engineers and the business world do it extensively.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Fireball1244
[BWhat is pages missing in terms of needed word processor functionality? [/B]

For me as someone who writes research papers, Pages needs to provide a means for reference apps like Sente or EndNote to interface with it. According to the developers of Sente, Apple doesn't provide the tools to accomplish this. I wish they would, because I could easily do without Word and would love to take more advantage of the page-layout functiosn of Pages.

From what I see, I think Pages can easily cover what most people need in a word processor. Sure it can get better, but it is 90% there and much better in some areas compared to Word.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iWork off to a respectable start