or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Goddam. The 80s are a long time ago

Goddam. The 80s are a long time ago - Page 3

post #81 of 114
Basic was cool. The last computer language I really mastered.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #82 of 114
Some of my memories are:
1 - Cable will be here in a couple of years. A/B channels.
2 - Paying $80.00 for a "Gold Membership" at a video rental store that was 30 minutes away.
3 - VCR with a "remote" that had a 15' cable connecting it to the VCR.
4 - Midnight movies (after sneaking out of the house)
5 - My Commadore 64 connected to the TV.
6 - Dumb terminals, green screens, only classroom in school that had AC.
post #83 of 114
I remember using BBS systems on my Apple //c. I had an external Hayes Turbo Modem connecting at 300 baud. I used to have to type in ATDT at the command line. Remember that?
Follow me on Twitter.
Follow me on Twitter.
post #84 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by His Dudeness
I remember using BBS systems on my Apple //c. I had an external Hayes Turbo Modem connecting at 300 baud. I used to have to type in ATDT at the command line. Remember that?

Hell, I remember having a modem and not having any local BBS to connect to.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #85 of 114
Apple IIc. Oregon Trail. 'Nuff said.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #86 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Hell, I remember having a modem and not having any local BBS to connect to.

....$300 phone bill circa 1984! Ouch!

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #87 of 114
New York City + 1980s... nuff said

god the 80s were freaking awesome..

although the last years in NYC were pretty downhill..

but mom was a freelance photographer and we were living in a large studio loft around 20th street, wholesale district.. feels magical to think now that Keith Haring used to "graffiti" in my subway station almost every night (GODDAM WHY DIDNT MY MOM TAKE SOME OF HIS STUFF!!!!), we had Warhol and Basquiat over once or twice, models, eccentrics, poets, etc.. and I was a little 5-10 year old who was in the middle, not knowing the actual significance of any of it .. ah well..

and yeah.. Atari 5200 was my first computer

My mom actually won a "Pronto" computer from the bank one day.. huge thing.. was for banking via phone methinks.. hardly remember it. Does anyone else remember it?

My first computer was a C64 like most.. then I leapfrogged and got an Amiga 2000HD instead of being like everyone else and getting an Amiga 500. Hell, I didntr know what the difference was, except it was a 2000 and not a 500 Hell, it wasnt until AFTER that I found out it had a Hard Drive... I didnt even know what an HD was!!!

I then had MY first Mac, PowerPC 6100/60.. but now we're talkin' 90s, so.. time's up ;-)
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #88 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Apple IIc. Oregon Trail. 'Nuff said.

Holy crap!! I loved playing that game in school!!
Resident Furry, Animation student, and Steve Jobs fan.
post #89 of 114
I remember playing some game on the school's Apple IIE. I think it was called Zork or something. It was all text based.
post #90 of 114
Cosmic Osmo. <3
post #91 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Cosmic Osmo. <3

Hypercard forever!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #92 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Cosmic Osmo. <3

That was by Rand and Robyn Miller. Kind of a warmup to a slightly more successful project of theirs, "Myst".
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
post #93 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by trick fall
I remember playing some game on the school's Apple IIE. I think it was called Zork or something. It was all text based.

That game is kind of famous.
post #94 of 114
Quote:

>WEST
Lumber Yard
This is a huge room lined with metal shelves. There are exits to the east,northeast, and west.
There is a small cardboard box here.
Piled on one of the shelves is a supply of lumber.

>TAKE THE BOX AND THE LUMBER
small cardboard box: Taken.
supply of lumber: Your load is too heavy.

>INVENTORY
You are carrying:
a lamp (providing light)
a glass jar
The glass jar contains:
a quantity of pomegranate juice
a jeweled monkey wrench
a dart gun
a small cardboard box

post #95 of 114
xyzzy

You are in a maze of twisty turny passages, all different.

</oldfartcount+1>

And I remember watching Apollo 11's "giant leap" live, too.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #96 of 114
Wasn't there also one set in Egypt? I remember lots of sand and typing turn west, etc.

Had 20 Apple IIe's at school.

Even made the first computerized presentation at the school... took hours to put together a very simple 3 minute piece. Keynote could do the same in about 10 minutes now.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #97 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Wasn't there also one set in Egypt? I remember lots of sand and typing turn west, etc.

Scarab of Ra?
I found a version of it that still runs great in Classic.
</oldfartcount+2>
post #98 of 114
Quote:

Funny I used to play it at lunch time to avoid getting into fights. Got into a lot of fights in grammar school.......
post #99 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac_Doll
Holy crap!! I loved playing that game in school!!

Ruth has diptheria.
Your wagon has a broken wheel.
On of your oxen is sick.
At least you saved money on your wagon insurance by switching to Geico.
post #100 of 114
Ah, yes the nineteen-eighties.

Colour TV (one channel) in all its glory, cheap white Subaru sedans (only around 200% tax for 1300cc engines and less, instead of the usual 500%), and VCRs.

The first Macintosh.

The digital audio Compact Disc (¡el futuro es aqui!), the Laservision video-disc, and the unhappy Betamax but also the forgotten RCA SelectaVision video-disc and Philips/Thomson Video2000 VCR (2x4 hours reversible cassette!); the X-cars.

The coming ice age.

The A-Team.

Tchernobyl, making a killing selling geiger-counters.

Almost forgot: hyperinflation, the banks' shares fraud, the stock-exchange crash, the Lebanon war and me thinking I was getting too old for this.

Good times.
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs

חברים יש רק באגד
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs

חברים יש רק באגד
post #101 of 114
... and the sun shining on my face.

I was a senior in high school when the Challenger blew up. I had a Timex/Sinclair 2000 as well, and remember spending in all night punching in code from Antic, Byte & Compute! magazine on my friend's Atari 400 and later my TI99-4/A and my C64.

Remember the 5 pages of code that looked something like this?

10 for x = 1 to 1000
20 Poke x, data
30 next x
40 DATA 100, 139, 242, 32, 12, 82, 47
50 DATA 200, 199, 112, 37, 84, 71, 42
6580 DATA 72, 72, 153, 44, 99, 63, 22

Which basically was an ASM program POKEd into memory by the BASIC interpreter? Nothing like punching all this in, saving to tape, running the program and promptly crashing the Atari. Lather rinse & repeat about 20-30 times until all the mis-typed numbers were corrected and you got a kickin' el-cheapo Space Invaders clone program! Yay!
post #102 of 114
OOoooooh The "poke" command.

10 x= int(rnd(0)*10000)*
20 y= int(rnd(0)*400)*
30 poke x,y
40 goto 10

run

Its like clubbing a mad dog**. You never know what will happen. In the beginning I left the room because I literally thought the computer could blow up. But just like clubbing a mad dog** the usual result was the computer died completely.

*The syntax is probably screwed. It IS 15 years ago after all.
**Heresay
post #103 of 114
Remember Sprites and peeking the joystick port?! Oh boy.

post #104 of 114
Oh man, GOTO was the best. I was the master of GOTO. Young programmers these days are missing out on something special.
post #105 of 114
I do have to say, however, that our Saturday morning cartoons (from the late 70s and early 80s) kicked the ass of the ones today.
post #106 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Ruth has diptheria.
Your wagon has a broken wheel.
On of your oxen is sick.
At least you saved money on your wagon insurance by switching to Geico.

I could hug you for that.

I kinda miss that game actually. It's funny; you mention diptheria...a lot of people seemed to catch that on the trail, didn't they?

midwinter: You couldn't be more right. I miss Voltron and Pee Wee's Playhouse.
post #107 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac_Doll
I could hug you for that.

I kinda miss that game actually. It's funny; you mention diptheria...a lot of people seemed to catch that on the trail, didn't they?

midwinter: You couldn't be more right. I miss Voltron and Pee Wee's Playhouse.

When I was in college, we used to get up early (and usually hung over) to watch Pee Wee's playhouse.
post #108 of 114
Quote:
When I was in college, we used to get up early (and usually hung over) to watch Pee Wee's playhouse.

Pee Wee was pure genius, especially the first season when they were apparently putting out big bowls of crystal meth for the camera operators and editors.
post #109 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Pee Wee was pure genius, especially the first season when they were apparently putting out big bowls of crystal meth for the camera operators and editors.

Yup. Toward the end of college, I discovered Eek the Cat. Now that, that was BRILLIANT.
post #110 of 114
Quote:
I do have to say, however, that our Saturday morning cartoons (from the late 70s and early 80s) kicked the ass of the ones today.

Quote:
The Best Saturday Morning Cartoon Show Ever
Overture, curtains, lights,
This is it, the night of nights
No more rehearsing and nursing a part
We know every part by heart
Overture, curtains, lights
This is it, you'll hit the heights
And oh what heights we'll hit
On with the show this is it

Tonight what heights we'll hit
On with the show this is it

Of course, we had all the awesome cartoons in the 70s like:
The Superfriends
Tom & Jerry
Space Ghost & Herculoids Power Hour
Spiderman and His Amazing Friends
Batman / Tarzan
Hong Kong Fooey
Woody Woodpecker
Thundarr the Barbarian
...and more
post #111 of 114
post #112 of 114
Quote:
Schmoo!!

Got that beat!

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #113 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

I hear you......remember Compuserve? -- when the modems were so slow you could watch the data flow in ASCII across the screen?

Got my first taste at the rype ole age of 3...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #114 of 114
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
Got that beat!

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters!

Remember Larry?

Sierra made the best games untill EA bought them in 04 and ruined all their franchises.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Goddam. The 80s are a long time ago