or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's Front Row media experience coming to iBook line

Apple's Front Row media experience coming to iBook line - Page 2

post #41 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir
it would be a marketing brain fart if apple does not release a black ibook. i'm pissed off they ddint' atleast darken the macbook pro line.

what are they thinking? come on

yes, i would love my soon to be here macbook pro much more was it a little darker, like on the pr-pictures.
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
post #42 of 127
Quote:
13" MacBook ("Best") - white - $1299

13" MacBook Pro - silver - $1499/$1799

I do hope you're right.. there must be pretty few buyers out there that would be tempted to 'go pro' for $200!

It would be a classic upsell stategy. "OK so you're 'Going Pro' - So now you need some more ram and faster hard drive"... etc etc
post #43 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by pyriX
My bad, ur correction stands. DVD-RIP, Nero or any half decent video editing system will allow you to do this though.

no worries. personally i can't stand Nero though. hurts my brain when i try to use it damned macs! i'm so spoilt nowadays...
post #44 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by OfficerDigby
I do hope you're right.. there must be pretty few buyers out there that would be tempted to 'go pro' for $200!

It would be a classic upsell stategy. "OK so you're 'Going Pro' - So now you need some more ram and faster hard drive"... etc etc

-core duo
-backlit keyboard with ambient light sensors
-128mb ati mobility radeon x1600 with dual link dvi support
i'll be in

one more thing:
1 version instead of 2, because what would you ad for another $300?
256mb gpu and 1.83Ghz core duo?
that would steal the thunder of the 15.4" mbp
maybe if they would be priced like this $ 1,599/$1,999 ?
but i doubt that.

it requires a meron to justify such a price tag.
[edit] it's a merom
i know...typo [/edit]
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Well, I suppose we don't know that yet.

First, maybe not. Second, maybe...

13" MacBook ("Good") - white - $899
13" MacBook ("Better") - white - $1199
13" MacBook ("Best") - white - $1299

13" MacBook Pro - silver - $1499/$1799
15" MacBook Pro - silver - $1999/$2499
17" MacBook Pro - silver - $2799

All widescreen, iSight, etc.

Of course if they do drop in a 13" and 17" MacBook Pro, they could rejigger the 15" MacBook Pro features and pricing a bit.

( or something along those lines )

I suspect that they are streamlining things again.

My guess is

15" MacBook ("Best") - white - $1399

To cut costs not only will these have the Core Solo but Intel integrated everything and no expansion slot.
post #46 of 127
Making a black iBook would be to most stupid thing to do, whose gona notice that? Apple is all about thinking different. Opening Mac notebook in a crowd should be a statement, that white/aluminium notebook in middle of those dull black(gray) notebooks.
post #47 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by xflare
Get that iSight crap out and put a Superdrive in as standard... Apple will be a laughing stock selling a $1000 computer with CDRW in 2006 - worse, the tag of selling over priced hardware would be fully justified.

It's not a CDRW, it's a combo drive. DVD-R + CDRW. There are plenty laptops around that price with just a combo drive.
post #48 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Hooray! I get to control a 13" screen from 30' away!

The display on my CD player is 1" by 3" yet I can't imagine using it without a remote. FrontRow controls more than just movies.
post #49 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Multimedia
iPostage Stamp. Still waiting for the 17" MacBook Pro with a FW 800 port back in. Anyone who thinks we don't need FW 800 any more never invested in external FW 800 cases. NAB?

Belkin supposedly have an FW800 ExpressCard34 adaptor coming out soon and I imagine others will too for all those people with RAIDs hanging off their laptop.
post #50 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
No 12" PowerBook replacement?, that's strange

I imagine there'll be a 13" widescreen MacBook Pro although if Apple are adding a superdrive, camera and making the iBook thinner then perhaps there's not much point in a Pro model. The 12" PowerBook was little more than an iBook with an aluminium case anyway.

I hope, like the iMac Core Duo, they allow screen spanning on the new iBook, and an ExpressCard slot would be nice too.

(and I'm still hankering after an OSX running OQO)
post #51 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I think you're forgetting camoflage green, preferably spray painted over layers of Hammerite with stencilled political slogans.

I can't see them doing black like the Nano. It would scratch way too easily on an iBook form. Apart from that, the shiny black thing just reminds me of all the black and chrome furniture we had in the 80s. I'm sure that'll come around again but it was horrible then, and it'll be horrible again.

Apple do seem to have settled on a design signature and aren't taking the risks they took with the multi-coloured iMac, original iBook and G3. I like the forms they have now but perhaps some special editions would be nice.
post #52 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
I imagine there'll be a 13" widescreen MacBook Pro although if Apple are adding a superdrive, camera and making the iBook thinner then perhaps there's not much point in a Pro model. The 12" PowerBook was little more than an iBook with an aluminium case anyway.

I hope, like the iMac Core Duo, they allow screen spanning on the new iBook, and an ExpressCard slot would be nice too.

(and I'm still hankering after an OSX running OQO)

Indeed. It's often said the 12" PB G4 is an iBook in disguise. Writing on one right now I have to say that's true today, but it wasn't in 2003 when I bought this. The iBooks were G3's then!

Ever since the iBooks turned G4 the PowerBook 12" has seemed a bit of an odd model out. Better looks (if you like Aluminium like I do) and much better keyboard - essential for a wordsmith like me - but the real specs are too close for comfort.

What I lust for is something with a good processor and Sub notebook style.

Yes: the PowerBook nano!

Until there's a revolutionary new light laptop from Apple like that (and of course I'm willing to pay $$$ like I did for my 12" three years ago) then I'm sticking with this old workhorse. It's done me proud. And may well get a flash hard drive upgrade when those eventually get into the mainstream. I've refitted the hard drive before and I'd love a perfectly silent one. A supreme writing machine!
post #53 of 127
i'm going to be bold and say there is a 90 percent chance of them releasing a black ibook.

it's just too much maddness of them NOT to release one, just like not releasing a new powerbook (macbook) last month.

so i am confident we will see a black ibook.

quote me on this.
post #54 of 127
So what are the chances of a widescreen 11.3 inch sub-notebook?
post #55 of 127
Quote:
it would be a marketing brain fart if apple does not release a black ibook. i'm pissed off they ddint' atleast darken the macbook pro line.

what are they thinking? come on

If you really want colored macs you can always custom order one from http://www.colorwarepc.com ...given it's more expensive...but it's still an option. And they seem to keep fairly up to date on product lines.
post #56 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Ah. Apparently it's time for my semi-annual rant about how Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

(Ahem) Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I thinking here about something like what is on equipment racks and the like. Just a nice, deep, velvety black that never shows fingerprints or smudging, robust enough to get knocked around without scratching.

There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

Thank you.

Ditto!
post #57 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
In an interview with Business Week, Jobs said from a design perspective there wasn't much more they could do to make the iMac better.

Oh, c'mon, there's always room for improvement.

I could imagine a future iMac with a scroll-like screen that would horizontally unfurl from the base (like a papyrus scroll) and the base would contain the computer. CDs/DVDs/BDs would be inserted into the top of the base just behind the screen, and the keyboard and screen would include an "echolocation" feature allowing one to use natural expressive hand movements to guide computer functions.

It's coming, I guaranteeeeee it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #58 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Oh, c'mon, there's always room for improvement.

I could imagine a future iMac with a scroll-like screen that would horizontally unfurl from the base (like a papyrus scroll) and the base would contain the computer. CDs/DVDs/BDs would be inserted into the top of the base just behind the screen, and the keyboard and screen would include an "echolocation" feature allowing one to use natural expressive hand movements to guide computer functions.

It's coming, I guaranteeeeee it.

I like it. If only so that Charles Jade over at Ars can talk about "the Mac (waves hands) experience" and mean it.

edit: and I'll point out we had this in 1987 or so on the Amiga with the Mandala system.
post #59 of 127
Quote:
Lime green actually.

Can I have it????
post #60 of 127
Quote:
[B]Ah. Apparently it's time for my semi-annual rant about how Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

(Ahem) Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I thinking here about something like what is on equipment racks and the like. Just a nice, deep, velvety black that never shows fingerprints or smudging, robust enough to get knocked around without scratching.

There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

NOTHING SAYS "I'M A BORING, UNINTERESTED BUSINESSMAN WHO LOVES MY POCKET PROTECTOR" THAN A SLIGHTLY TEXTURED, MATTE BLACK FINISH!
post #61 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
guess he is comparing discounted iMac G5 with iMac Core Duo?

Not true. In the Swedish Apple Store, the 17" iMac is 2% more expensive, and the low end MBP is 5% more expensive than the 15" PowerBook. The percentages of the UK store is slightly different, but the new Macs are more expensive than their predecessors.

As for a fun fact, Storbritannien (Great Britain) is misspelled on the Swedish page.

For another fun fact, Intel's codename for its next mobility CPU is Merom. (Now where's the rolleyes smiley?)
post #62 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by josa92
NOTHING SAYS "I'M A BORING, UNINTERESTED BUSINESSMAN WHO LOVES MY POCKET PROTECTOR" THAN A SLIGHTLY TEXTURED, MATTE BLACK FINISH!

That would make sense, except most business men don't have ibooks; they have Powerbooks. ibooks are used by students and consumers on a buget.
post #63 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Project2501
Making a black iBook would be to most stupid thing to do, whose gona notice that? Apple is all about thinking different. Opening Mac notebook in a crowd should be a statement, that white/aluminium notebook in middle of those dull black(gray) notebooks.

Quote:
Originally posted by josa92

Nothing tells others that Mac fans are overly image obsessed (as in "look at me! I have an Apple product!") than posts like these. It may be surprising, but when I get out, I don't want to advertise that I have expensive stuff on me. For example, the current #1 way to reduce the risk of a mugging is to throw away those white iPod earbuds and use something else.
post #64 of 127
I should have made clear that black, slightly textured matte finishes are not about black plastic.

Black plastic is a toaster. Black plastic is a Dell. Black plastic is Apple, circa 20th century.

No, what I want is something like anodized brushed aluminum. Sleek. Apple.

Aluminum power book form factor + black, slightly textured matte finish = teh sex.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #65 of 127
Quote:
iPhoto = Picasa 2 (Google)
iMovie = Not worth it, get Final Cut you cheap bastards. No equivelent of FINAL CUT in PC world though.
Garageband = No equivelant in PC world
iDVD = VLC, Windows Media Player, RealOne, PowerDVD
iWeb = Macromedia Suite - you think apple's web designers seriously use iWeb? Get real.

3/5 isn't too bad, is it now?

You actually think iWeb is AIMED at professional web designers ???

I've only got to play around with it for a few minutes, but iWeb is GREAT for most of us "consumer" level Mac users. What took me many hours over several days to figure out using DW, I managed to replicate in iWeb in a matter of minutes.

...and Nero et al don't even come CLOSE to gracefully doing the tasks that iMovie/iDVD do...
That combination is aimed at folks like myself that just want to make a presentable record of family video. Even Final Cut Express is WAY more than most of us want to learn.

INTEGRATION and SIMPLICITY are the keys that make iLife so unique.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #66 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
-core duo
-backlit keyboard with ambient light sensors
-128mb ati mobility radeon x1600 with dual link dvi support
i'll be in

one more thing:
1 version instead of 2, because what would you ad for another $300?
256mb gpu and 1.83Ghz core duo?
that would steal the thunder of the 15.4" mbp
maybe if they would be priced like this $ 1,599/$1,999 ?
but i doubt that.

it requires a meron to justify such a price tag.
[edit] it's a merom
i know...typo [/edit]

Dual Link DVI???, not possible, Good Graphic card with DVI Out (with mirroring/spanning) Yes.

it will be lower grade graphic card compare to MacBook Pro, 256 VRAM, i do not think happening also, 128 MB/64 MB possible

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #67 of 127
in terms of CPU, my guess

new normal
13" MacBook - 1.67 Ghz Solo
13" MacBook - 1.67 Ghz Duo

Pro lineup
13" MacBook Pro - 1.67 Ghz Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro - 1.83 Ghz Core Duo
17" MacBook Pro - 2.00 Ghz Core Duo

kinda surprised 15" offered in two versions, we might see only one version of 15" when 13" and 17" released
or
are we going to see two versions for each one of the size? then for 13" we got four different specs...

MacBook CPUs will be cynically (oops) Cyclically refreshed when Pro lines goes to new CPUs...

i think we will see 13" Pro (that Alu Casing gives kinda of pro look, is n't it?, with Dual link DVI where as iBooks only DVI out)

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #68 of 127
Quote:
It's not a CDRW, it's a combo drive. DVD-R + CDRW.

DVD-ROM, not DVD-R.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #69 of 127
Quote:
No equivelent of FINAL CUT in PC world though.

Really? Not even Avid, the industry standard?
post #70 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by wilco
Really? Not even Avid, the industry standard?

Avid is typically geared towards the very high-end, i.e. the people who can drop $100K or more on an editing setup and not even blink. Final Cut can be used for some of these tasks, but it's really more for "middling" professionals from what I understand: the ones who have to do serious work, but still have to use relatively down-to-earth hardware.
post #71 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Commodus
Avid is typically geared towards the very high-end, i.e. the people who can drop $100K or more on an editing setup and not even blink. Final Cut can be used for some of these tasks, but it's really more for "middling" professionals from what I understand: the ones who have to do serious work, but still have to use relatively down-to-earth hardware.

Avid isn't exclusive to the very high end, and have not been for several years, they had an express or lite version going for somewhere in the $1k to $1.5k range I think. More recently, they've also bought entries into the consumer market too. There are versions of Avid that are fairly price competitive with Final Cut, and they now own Pinnacle Studio and Liquid. While I had some difficulties with Pinnacle Studio, for me it was better than that of iMovie, its competition in the low end.
post #72 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot
You actually think iWeb is AIMED at professional web designers ???

I've only got to play around with it for a few minutes, but iWeb is GREAT for most of us "consumer" level Mac users. What took me many hours over several days to figure out using DW, I managed to replicate in iWeb in a matter of minutes.

...and Nero et al don't even come CLOSE to gracefully doing the tasks that iMovie/iDVD do...
That combination is aimed at folks like myself that just want to make a presentable record of family video. Even Final Cut Express is WAY more than most of us want to learn.

INTEGRATION and SIMPLICITY are the keys that make iLife so unique.

No, I dont believe iWeb is aimed at proffesional web designers, but as Apples ONLY web development program, how else am I supposed to compare it?

The purpose of iWeb is to make annoying purposeless sites that litter the web.

I wasn't talking about grace. I was talking about a usable replacement. Nero is a usable replacement, otherwise they would be broke.

EDIT: After using final cut, i wouldnt go back. Never used Avid, but have used several others, and Avid is way too expensive.
I DONT trust your haircut.

MBP 13"/22" 2.26ghz/2gb/160gb/7400M.
Windows 7 24"/2.00ghz/2.5gb/250gb/9800GT.
Ubuntu 10.04 Dell Latitude D620.
Xbox 360 Projector
WHS 2.5tb.
I DONT trust your haircut.

MBP 13"/22" 2.26ghz/2gb/160gb/7400M.
Windows 7 24"/2.00ghz/2.5gb/250gb/9800GT.
Ubuntu 10.04 Dell Latitude D620.
Xbox 360 Projector
WHS 2.5tb.
post #73 of 127
Quote:
Of course, eventually, there will be a legitimate "media center appliance" that just plugs into your TV (Mac mini reloaded).

I'd like an "Appleized" EyeHome, with DRM and H.264 support that the current model lacks.
post #74 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
DVD-ROM, not DVD-R.

Sorry, yes, I meant R as in Read.

Isn't it peculiar that we indicate writable media with an R and rewriteable media with a W.

post #75 of 127
Quote:
I
Apple do seem to have settled on a design signature and aren't taking the risks they took with the multi-coloured iMac, original iBook and G3. I like the forms they have now but perhaps some special editions would be nice.

they dont need to change the design because its perfect but they do need to offer a wider range of options

macbook nano- sub notebook style, black or white finish
macbook 13inch widescreen, black or white

skip the dumb 14 inch and the 15 inch jumps to the pro line offered in the regular color and a slightly darker macbook as it looks on apples page

so we end up with

macbook nano-$999
macbook 13inch- 1499
macbook pro-1999
macbook pro-2499

we're all happy
post #76 of 127
Quote:
Sorry, yes, I meant R as in Read.

Isn't it peculiar that we indicate writable media with an R and rewriteable media with a W.

here in belgium the R means recordable. rewriteable media is indicated as RW.
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz 1 GB RAM
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz 1 GB RAM
post #77 of 127
Sub-notebook anyone?

I'm still enamored by the thought of a Powerbook line with greater breadth than the current lineup, such as:

10.4", 1024x640
1.67 GHz Solo Core
512 MB RAM
5400 RPM serial ATA HD, 80 GB
Superdrive, hobbled.
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, dual link DVI, 128MB of GDDR3
Video Output: DVI, VGA, S-Video

15.4", 1440x900
1.67-1.83 GHz Duo Core
512 MB RAM
5400 RPM serial ATA HD, 80-120 GB
Superdrive, hobbled.
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, dual link DVI, 128-256MB of GDDR3

20.1", 1680 x 1050
2.17 GHz Duo Core
1 GB MB RAM
7200 RPM serial ATA HD, 120 GB
Superdrive, full on specs and performance.
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, dual link DVI, 512MB of GDDR3
Audio Output: Dolby 7.1 Surround sound, optical digital output.
Dual 60-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery bays.

20" laptop displays are already looking for homes in good laptops, from manufacturers like LG Philips and a 19" display with the same 1680 x 1050 resolution from Samsung. Why would anyone want such a dinosaur of laptop? It's a portable desktop, for one, and secondly, there are times when such a huge laptop would be a great blessing on the road, for example in shooting and editing movies in the field and other work that benefits from humongous screen real estate. Battery life is a concern, but of course with such a large shell there is ample room for multiple batteries, and for use as a portable desktop battery life wouldn't be much of a concern.

As for the other end of the scale - who wouldn't want a tiny sub-notebook for giving presentations? It would have the full gamut of video ports for quick and easy connectivity, and as for usability, it really wouldn't be much smaller than the current 12" laptop - except when being transported. Make it a widescreen 10" sub-notebook, and there's plenty of room for a full-sized keyboard along with all the needed internals. Such miniaturization would no doubt be an engineering challenge, but if anyone is up to the task it's Apple. And how cool would it be to have a full powered laptop that is so tiny, but can give as good a presentation as any other? Of course it would have the necessary video chipset to drive at least a 20" Cinema display while plugged in at a desk, for real work or play.

As for design - they're already pretty damn close to perfect. A tweak here, a refinement there, and new models should be ready.

Colors? Black sounds totally bad ass, until you think about it scratching off. If Apple could anodize the colors onto the aluminum Macbook Pros in a way that wouldn't scratch, and would wear gracefully, then I say go for it. Black would be nice, along with an ocean blue and a rose/blood red. But this is all superficial to the real meat of the package.

Ahh, well that's enough brain farting for one night. Hope it sounds good tomorrow when I'm awake.
post #78 of 127
Quote:
[snip]

macbook nano-$999
macbook 13inch- 1499
macbook pro-1999
macbook pro-2499

we're all happy

if there will be a subnotebook from apple it will have a reasonable subnotebook price: $1,999 and up
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Colors? Black sounds totally bad ass, until you think about it scratching off. If Apple could anodize the colors onto the aluminum Macbook Pros in a way that wouldn't scratch, and would wear gracefully, then I say go for it. Black would be nice, along with an ocean blue and a rose/blood red. But this is all superficial to the real meat of the package.

They need to talk to whoever does the anodizing on Maverick mountain bikes. You can rub coins up and down the frame and it doesn't scratch.

http://www.maverickamerican.com/
post #80 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

To reiterate or support what aegisdesign said, if they use the hard anodize process, then it would be extremely scratch resistant. I think they already use it on the powerbooks and any Mac with exposed aluminum, except part way in the process, color could be added. The people that owned iPod minis generally said that the coating was practically indestructible.

The nice thing about the process is that it isn't just a surface coating, the coloring does penetrate the surface a bit. A scratch doesn't mean you'll be hitting bare metal. If the surface does scratch somehow, a bit of sand paper with a skilled hand could smooth out the surface to like new.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's Front Row media experience coming to iBook line