or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › No Filibuster for you!

No Filibuster for you! - Page 4

post #121 of 126
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
You didn't understand me. Pro-choice people are over the line when they ask for the really gruesome 3rd trimester abortions. Pro-life people are over the line when they demand that we treat a clump of cells with no brain as a human.

The only third trimester abortions I'm aware off in the US are for major major fetal anomalies, like the top of the head didn't develop.
post #122 of 126
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
In the early days of the abortion debate, the popular limit was 20 weeks, given that a heartbeat could be detected then. Now, with modern technology we can do that at something like four weeks.

We're always going to have to draw the line somewhere. While current medical technology is helpful in the debate, this is largely about ethics, not raw science.

We should err on the side of caution. It stands to reason that as science advances, we will continue to expand our knowledge of the birth process, including the development of the unborn child.

Thus protection at the point of conception would seem to be the most ethical way of ensuring that all human life remains valued and protected in our society, and not subject to the whims of business, science or government.

Further science will not change the big picture of human development, which we have already well described.

Thus, the line you have drawn at conception is based on your understanding of human development and your ethical compass. My line is drawn later and I doubt any amount of science will make us change our minds.

Also, when you value life, you also need to consider the fully formed life that is the mother. She has her own life and her own ethical compass.
post #123 of 126
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
He's an activist judge. Plain and simple.

And his confirmation is proof that Republicans are hypocrits of the highest order.

Plain and simple? Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with some documentation of that claim.... that's not based on Senator Kennedy's "Robert Bork's America" speech?

What I find most interesting about this whole confirmation process is that liberals cannot admit why it is that they are so utterly terrified of Alito. We hear much ado about clubs that promote discrimination, Alito being an "activist" and decisions that "side with executive power." But in the end it's about none of those things. It's about one issue and one issue alone: Roe.

Yes, liberals like yourself are terrified that Roe will be overturned. Of course, you say the reason for this fear is that Alito is an "activist." In reality, though, that's not intellecually honest either. No, the real reason you fear that Roe may be overturned is that you know Alito is a conservative, originalist judge who will interpret the Constitution as it actually exists, rather than how he wishes it to exist. You also realize that his presence means those on the Court with same view of the Constitution now have a majority.

This is where the true fear comes in: Despite your stringent personal support for Roe, you know it cannot possibly stand up to an unbiased, non-activist interpretation of the Constitution. No, only a liberal court like that one that originally authored the decision could invent a Constitutional right to abortion. Hence, liberals like yourself are going into what can only be described as "meltdown."
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #124 of 126
Why would the Republicans want perhaps the only thing holding Christians with a capital C to their party?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #125 of 126
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Why would the Republicans want perhaps the only thing holding Christians with a capital C to their party?

There's a lot of truth to that.

If the Democrats ever got a clue and made it clear that people who opposed abortion and gay marriage on religious grounds were welcome participants in their party, they'd rule the U.S. for decades.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #126 of 126
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
There's a lot of truth to that.

If the Democrats ever got a clue and made it clear that people who opposed abortion and gay marriage on religious grounds were welcome participants in their party, they'd rule the U.S. for decades.

Well, before they do that, they'll need a calendar that clearly indicates that this is 2006, not 1964.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › No Filibuster for you!