or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What do you drive?

What do you drive?

post #1 of 90
Since it is such a big deal in America these days, especially since GWB talked about it in the SOTU, what do you drive? Also, how much do you pay on average (knowing that prices vary per gallon) to fill your tank?

I drive:

2005 Ford Ranger FX4 4.0 V6, takes about $40 to fill it from empty.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #2 of 90
2004 Ford Mustang. About $25 to fill up but I seem to fill up all too often these days....
post #3 of 90
You chaps in the states have it easy - petrol is far pricier here in Europe. Besides, we shouldn't be comparing how much it costs to fill up, but MPG, as the cost to fill up only shows the size of the tank, not how inefficient it is.
post #4 of 90
'98 Toyota Tacoma, 4cyl, 4WD. Manual everything (stick, windows, doors, etc). I think I nearly put 1000 miles on it last year. $30 to fill up once a month or so.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #5 of 90
Toyota Prius. Costs about CAD$34 to fill up. Averaged 4.6L/100km on the last tank.
post #6 of 90
'00 Ford Excursion ... triple digits to fill it from near empty.

'95 Jeep Wrangler ... I6, 2" lift, 31x10.5 ... way fun! much easier to fill, but about the same mpg (15 or so).
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #7 of 90
1989 Porsche Turbo. Manual, 18-22 MPG, $49.50 a tank. (No cheap gas for me)
*Dodges flying brick*
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #8 of 90
my wife--05 volvo s40 t5 awd---38 hwy about 18 city real world

i drive--04 sienna minivan--i know i know...but i did get the sport suspension and spoiler LOL but this is a great vehicle for my family 4 and 2 yr old. i don't like the bulk of suv hybrids make absolutely no financial sense.... in my town they want 26k without leather. geee i can get a corolla with leather get only a few less mpg as per consumer reports and save 9k

my minivan has
laser cruise is way cool)
and sparkly paint--ha ha ha

to fill up about 32 for the volvo and 46 for sienna but it has a 21gallon tank
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #9 of 90
My car is a '94 Chrystler Concorde. I know it is an old person's car but my grandparents gave it to me so i am not complaining. my only real complaint is that it is automatic

My dad's main car (BMW 750Li) sucks in the snow so we also have a '00 Jeep Wrangler for the snow. The Wrangler is stick so it is so much fun to drive. It is also great in the summer with the roof down.
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
post #10 of 90
It costs anywhere from $25-30 to fill up my 13.2 gallon tank with a gallon or less remaining. I drive a 2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX.
post #11 of 90
Geesh, I can remember when Shawn got that car new.

I am driving a 1991 Chevy K2500 pickup. It has a 25 gallon tank, gets about 14-15 mpg. It costs about $55-60 to fill up.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #12 of 90
I use my feet. It costs about 8 dollars to fill up.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #13 of 90
I have a 2005 Subaru WRX. The gas mileage isn't great, but I don't put on a lot of miles. I think I put in less than $50 a month. That comes out to be about 5000 miles a year. I am looking into getting a scooter, in which case my gas usage will be even less. I may even get an electric scooter, since they fly in totally under the taxation radar, and I feel like it would be pretty easy to throw in some better batteries and more powerful motor. Since nothing is as punk-rock as a scooter that can do 60 mph. . . silent.

Cat: the other white meat
post #14 of 90
2004 Jeep Wranger TJ, no mods
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
post #15 of 90
My get around town car is a Hyundai Accent.

We have a Ford Escape Hybrid on order for my wife/family car.
post #16 of 90
2004 Subaru Forester XT Turbo. Costs about 35.00 to fill up, premium only. I think I average about 25mpg.
post #17 of 90
chrysler pt cruiser, 40 to fill it up and about 9l/100km. good thing i live close to luxemburg since gas is more expensive in germany.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #18 of 90
'97 GMC Jimmy..Guzzles gas. Usually spend $35 a week filling it up.
"That's ok, I have a really bad memory, Wow look a beach!" - Caboose
"That's ok, I have a really bad memory, Wow look a beach!" - Caboose
post #19 of 90
2003 Toyota Land Cruiser

20 gallon tank
$4.25 per gallon at the cheapest place in town (Japan is not the land of cheap gas; you guys in the US have it real easy)
$85 bucks to fill 'er up
2-3 fills per month
15 mpg

What about the cost of inspection? My 1st one is in 2 months and will set me back about $1000, unless something needs repairing, which will obv iosuly add to thhe cost and they invariably find something. In Japan, a new car needs an inspection after 3 years, then every 2 years thereafter, and it ain't cheap. Again, you boys in the States have it easy (I remember Virginia was something like $7 a year back when I was still there).

Got lucky and was able to change my US license into a Japanese one for $50. My wife spent $3500 getting her license here.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #20 of 90
I live close enough to work that I don't usually drive, so my primary vehicle is a 2002 Trek mountain bike. I also have a 96 Honda Civic. Costs under $30 to fill up, and I go for weeks and weeks.
post #21 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
Again, you boys in the States have it easy (I remember Virginia was something like $7 a year back when I was still there).

What in tarnation is a "vehicle inspection?"

When I moved to Florida, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how and where to get inspected, and what it would cost. Everyone was so confused and I could get no good answers until I eventually just pulled the trigger and went to get new tags & registration anyway. The lady at the booth chuckled and told me "that there is no vehicle inspection in Florida."

This was a good thing, because the RX-7 I had at the time wasn't exactly street legal.
post #22 of 90
2004 Volvo V70R (on the way out, 17mpg)
2006 Volvo S60R (arriving soon, 17mpg stock, but I plan on making it more powerful which should reduce gas milage).
2003 Volvo S60 AWD (20 mpg, wife's car)
1997 Honda Odyssey (23mpg?)
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider (unknown mpg, and I lost the keys so it gets infinite gas milage)
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #23 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
'98 Toyota Tacoma, 4cyl, 4WD. Manual everything (stick, windows, doors, etc). I think I nearly put 1000 miles on it last year. $30 to fill up once a month or so.

Uh oh...mid and I have something in common...well close anyway...mine is a '96 and I fill up more often because it is my daily driver.
post #24 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Uh oh...mid and I have something in common...well close anyway...mine is a '96 and I fill up more often because it is my daily driver.

/me heads to the car lot to sell his truck...
post #25 of 90
Quote:

Utah profs get a manse?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #26 of 90
Quote:
/me heads to the car lot to sell his truck...

Love you too mid.

post #27 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
2006 Volvo S60R (arriving soon, 17mpg stock, but I plan on making it more powerful which should reduce gas milage).

Ooh.
post #28 of 90
i know this is not polically correct , but even at $3/gallon it's still cheaper than was in the 80"s accounting for inflation. hey what is better cheap gas or AVAILABLE GAS???
it doesn't make much sense to pay 8-10k more or loose 12k in trade in for "better" milage. it's not pc to drive suv's but my ML320 got better milage than my sienna. i'd like that wrx option, looks small, people "think" it gets good milage, i could even get a honda hybrid badge and stick it on and BLOW THE DOORS OFF EVERYONE. i live 2.5 miles from work, if it wasn't for the steep hills, i'd get a trek bike, and very colorful bike riding outfit (something i could zip off to show off my cut body and corporate grey--ha ha ha.(i don't have such a cut body--but i can dream can't I???)

ok here... hold on and hope you've read about anger management...but I DON'T CARE ABOUT MILAGE. i need a car of my choice to take best care of my family needs. if that was the suburban so be it (maybe with 4 wheel steering)

what i want are more diesels, now that is a solution. if they had that for my sienna and it MADE FINANCIAL sense i'd get it. but diesels are usually a 1900 option for vw and 3500$ option on GM or Ford trucks. we are all stuck. i want diesel (common rail, direct injection like europe)

so anger all over me....i can take it, my boss has numbed me 8)

as an aside, my wifes volvo is a hoot to drive wanton speed great hwy milage, and totally cool looking an only one like it. it's dash is totally swedish in design.(red with spoiler brushed chrome interior....very under appreciated for performance against the audi a4 and bmw ix 05)
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #29 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
it doesn't make much sense to pay 8-10k more or loose 12k in trade in for "better" milage.

But isn't that a false dichotomy? I haven't seen any data on this, but my guess is that cost is negatively correlated with good gas mileage. SUVs and other big gas guzzlers are more expensive than small cars like Civics and Corollas with excellent gas mileage. Even hybrid small cars like the Prius, though more expensive than non-hybrids the same size, are probably cheaper than the majority of SUVs.
post #30 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
my wifes volvo is a hoot to drive wanton speed great hwy milage, and totally cool looking an only one like it. it's dash is totally swedish in design.(red with spoiler brushed chrome interior....very under appreciated for performance against the audi a4 and bmw ix 05)

Can you post a picture?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #31 of 90
Quote:
2004 Volvo V70R (on the way out, 17mpg)

Really?

I had a Volvo V70S from 1999 that got better gas millege than that.
post #32 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Really?

I had a Volvo V70S from 1999 that got better gas millege than that.

300 hp engine in a 3800 lb car. The AWD cuts out about 25% of the gas milage, and I have a lead foot.

The same car with a 200hp engine gets 21 mpg - 26 mpg if you dump the AWD.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #33 of 90
1999 volvo s70 on the weekends, but a cannondale on the weekdays. She takes the volvo to work and if the result of my current hunt for a different job requires a commute out to the burbs, I'll get a slightly used s40 or accord. We rented a brand new xc70 a couple weeks ago to go into yosemite (snow chains required, etc) and loved the car, so we're going to have to get one when we have a reason to.
post #34 of 90
Quote:
300 hp engine in a 3800 lb car. The AWD cuts out about 25% of the gas milage, and I have a lead foot.

The same car with a 200hp engine gets 21 mpg - 26 mpg if you dump the AWD.

There you go...
post #35 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
We rented a brand new xc70 a couple weeks ago to go into yosemite (snow chains required, etc) and loved the car, so we're going to have to get one when we have a reason to.

Those look like nice cars, but damn expensive.
post #36 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

They are expensive compared to Toyotas, and cheap compared to BMW, Mercedes or Audi. It depends what you are comparing them to.

I bought my V70R because it is almost as nice as the old Audi S6, but more reliable, with better crash safety, and it was $20K cheaper. The V70R is nicer than the XC70 as long as you don't have to go off road, but it is only available new for another couple months - because they cut the program to save costs for Ford.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #37 of 90
Quote:
Can you post a picture?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtes...40.int.500.jpg

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...2/2259_2mg.jpg

i don't know how to post a picture but here are some from a google image search, it looks better in person. very sharp and my wife loves it, it was hard to replace her red audi a6 but this really gets her fires stoked.8)

it has the titanium sport wheels, turbo and awd the dash shot doens't really show the "waterfall" dash to good effect, there is a space behind the dash for a trash bin, very slick
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #38 of 90
My wife drives a Volvo XC70 and loves it. It gets 20mpg and is steady as a rock. The only things she doesn't like about it is the handle is a little stiff; our drive is very narrow (most roads in cities in Japan are) and we have to back down it). I don't care having come from trucks, but she came from a VW Golf.

She got hit from behind by a dork driving 35 towards a red light. The Volvo sustained a scratch on the bumper, one of the sonar sensors was knocked out, but otherwise things were fine. The other car, a small Toyota van, didn't fair so well and had to be scrapped.

post #39 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

I nearly bought that S40 turbo AWD (or is it S50?), but the WRX was very similar, was a fair bit cheaper, and has a service record plated in Gold. Neither one is really that stunning to look at, although the Volvo might be slightly nicer. It's also heavier, though.
post #40 of 90
jeez-- everyone has or has contemplated buying a volvo. might as well add my father's v70 turbo to the mix. (i think that's the name?)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What do you drive?