or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › A Void

A Void

post #1 of 39
Tonight, I thought of a bookA Voidwhich avoids (no pun, har har) using "e" throughout. I thought, "Hmm. A discussion on AO! Without that!"

Can you do it?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 39
Shit no.
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Shit no.

Wuss.
post #4 of 39
It was a dark and stormy night....

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Wuss.

Alright, I can do it. Let's go.
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Alright, I can do it. Let's go.

As I said, "shit no" lol.
post #7 of 39
Bastards. Both of you.
post #8 of 39
Can I post in Arabic?
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #9 of 39
Should I rid my sig of any must-avoid glyphs too?
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
Can I post in Arabic?

Play fair.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Should I rid my sig of any must-avoid glyphs too?

No. I don't think so.
post #12 of 39
Suck it long. Suck it hard.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #13 of 39
How can I say this? ....no.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #14 of 39
What is it that you want us to do?

Apply ink to pad and avoid an outlaw of a symbol?

Easy, doh!
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #15 of 39
Hurrah! With said constraint in play, I can still bash that idiot Bush, politically or spiritually with a brain of solid rock, if said brain is found at all. Would Christ imprison without trial, or bug without warrant (a FISA court is usually quick and compliant)? I think not, if law or Constitution or just conduct apply. Looks of a chimp, that Dubya, but not as bright or as kind. A sad situation has struck our country with that man in control.
post #16 of 39
Simply put, it would satisfy my whimsical soul, so long as you allow a dictionary and I at no point stray into the past form but with unruly action words.
The Mom
The Mom
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Fangorn
Simply put, it would satisfy my whimsical soul, so long as you allow a dictionary and I at no point stray into the past form but with unruly action words.

Bzzzzzttt!
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Hurrah! With said constraint in play, I can still bash that idiot Bush, politically or spiritually with a brain of solid rock, if said brain is found at all. Would Christ imprison without trial, or bug without warrant (a FISA court is usually quick and compliant)? I think not, if law or Constitution or just conduct apply. Looks of a chimp, that Dubya, but not as bright or as kind. A sad situation has struck our country with that man in control.

This puts in my mind that Simpsons show...Lisa has a buddy (who's as sharp as Lisa) and that girl's dad shows Lisa a way his family has fun: mix up what fans call film stars to form strings of words that portray that star.
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Tonight, I thought of a bookA Voidwhich avoids (no pun, har har) using "e" throughout. I thought, "Hmm. A discussion on AO! Without that!"

Can you do it?

It's funny that you would bring this up. Look back at all of my old posts on AI. Not on any occasion did I apply that particular symbol. In fact, I didn't know that I could, until you said I couldn't. But now I can't think of any words that do contain it, although I'm trying.
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
It's funny that you would bring this up. Look back at all of my old posts on AI. Not on any occasion did I apply that particular symbol. In fact, I didn't know that I could, until you said I couldn't. But now I can't think of any words that do contain it, although I'm trying.

That? That's just sad.
post #21 of 39
Crap.
post #22 of 39
Quote:
This puts in my mind that Simpsons show...Lisa has a buddy (who's as sharp as Lisa) and that girl's dad shows Lisa a way his family has fun...

What kind of sick mind must I own, for it to too soon stray in a twisty way at this point in your words, with thoughts of things no cartoon family should do?
post #23 of 39
Now what is all this fuss about?

I would submit that it isn't all that hard to avoid any particular symbol or typographical sign for short quips and quick bon mots; what is, in fact, difficult (in my opinion), is maintaining a modicum of an actual point, as my options narrow and availability of any synonym or workaround gradually grows hard to find with an always accumulating, unforgiving path of words.

Still, having said that, I must say that it's kind of fun.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Now what is all this fuss about?

I would submit that it isn't all that hard to avoid any particular symbol or typographical sign for short quips and quick bon mots; what is, in fact, difficult (in my opinion), is maintaining a modicum of an actual point, as my options narrow and availability of any synonym or workaround gradually grows hard to find with an always accumulating, unforgiving path of words.

Still, having said that, I must say that it's kind of fun.

addabox is right, this could go on a bit without using that particular glyph. But it is a mammoth task. I could post a lot, but I'm just not a linguistic robot. That glyph will show up (again, no thanks to Fangorn), but it's nothing I would worry about. Just carry on posting!

post #25 of 39
That's a good point. But what kind of worth could such a discussion possibly hold? Why would any of us want to try? Truly, it's fun. But is it worth it? What kind of payoff awaits us? Is it just masturbation? Showing off?
post #26 of 39
Quote:
That's a good point. But what kind of worth could such a discussion possibly hold? Why would any of us want to try? Truly, it's fun. But is it worth it? What kind of payoff awaits us? Is it just masturbation? Showing off?

Showing off, no doubt. This board is full of folks who (obviously) jump at an opportunity to display linguistic bravado or smartly confront an artificial limitation (and I am among that crowd, I must admit).

An attraction to such a conundrum is typical of minds drawn to computational discussions and auxiliary topics, I would think.

I would call the sort by its popular (and less than admiring) alias, but alas, this monosyllabic honorific is not allowed.
post #27 of 39
Quote:

I would call the sort by its popular (and less than admiring) alias, but alas, this monosyllabic honorific is not allowed.

Nyrd.
post #28 of 39
Does the book merely avoid the letter "e" by replacing it phonetically, or does the author really go so far as to use correctly spelled words that don't have "e's" in them?

The next question is: is there any merit to the book aside from the assumed effort the author must have gone through to craft it? To compare, Picasso's blue period was impressive not merely for being blue.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Does the book merely avoid the letter "e" by replacing it phonetically, or does the author really go so far as to use correctly spelled words that don't have "e's" in them?

The next question is: is there any merit to the book aside from the assumed effort the author must have gone through to craft it? To compare, Picasso's blue period was impressive not merely for being blue.

Bzzt.

A Void's author avoids (har har) "e" wholly and his writing stays good.
post #30 of 39
Quote:

Bzzzzzttt!

It looks as if it's my job to insist that all follow our glyph law. You too, and all in our group, naturally, can call out any of our failings, should any of us again slip into incautious typography, and nab us for such sins.
post #31 of 39
Sorrowfully, this discussion topic burst out owing to the fact that I had no "d" on my laptop. So, our discussions touch on words with slimy connotations such as "goo jobs" and "goo things." I am sad and full of dissatisfaction to continually command-c and command-v my way to a "d."

And the dazzling girl I am crushing on is playing hard to obtain.

So I'm doubly down in the dumps.
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel

Think of haiku and its syllabic laws. Such constraints, although artificial, will spawn many an opportunity in our minds to follow unusual paths, to go down a path or two of non-minimal labor, away from our typical inclination toward quick and lazy satisfaction. In looking for a way out of our limitations, dark and dusty nooks within our brains, going long without a visiting fancy or passing light, blink forth thoughts which would stay unthought, but for intrusions born in want of difficult solutions.
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Bzzzzzttt!

It looks as if it's my job to insist that all follow our glyph law. You too, and all in our group, naturally, can call out any of our failings, should any of us again slip into incautious typography, and nab us for such sins.

Damn! All that work and no cigar! So much for "not that hard".

I'm trying to think about how astonishingly difficult maintaining this limitation for a book's worth of writing must, must.....damn.

As far as Mr. S #1's doubts about "Void" having anything going on in addition to its primary "gimmick":

An artificial limitation is, paradoxically, a kind of opportunity, which can grant inspiration via a controlling tonality that acts as another "actor" within a work, modulating our usual approach to making things according to "having our own way" (not always a bad thing, mind you, but still) and forcing our hand towards unknown but possibly salutary paths.

Sort of an improvisational two part harmony, if you will.

Not that this kind of thing is always any good, but it is, I think, worth taking a stab at.
post #34 of 39
Look at that! Mr. S #2 has got to his post first, with most of my points and laid out in a way that brings additional insight to our topic.

My hats off to you, sir!
post #35 of 39
Allright, allright, addabox, you win!!

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Allright, allright, addabox, you win!!

No, I don't think so.

I won't "win" till I can stop thinking about how to do this, and stop constantly filling my mind with bits of oddly scanning, slightly stuffy sounding syntax.

E! Oh, god, yes yes yes E! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

There. I feel better.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Bzzzzzttt!

Death by article adjective!
The Mom
The Mom
post #38 of 39
Missing that symbol
Constrains and twists discussion
Making talking hard
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
This puts in my mind that Simpsons show...Lisa has a buddy (who's as sharp as Lisa) and that girl's dad shows Lisa a way his family has fun: mix up what fans call film stars to form strings of words that portray that star.

Yeah- What was the answer for "Jeremy Irons" ????? Anyone? I never figured that out.

Ah, the e is exuberantly exultantly emphatically embracing
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › A Void