or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Resume fonts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resume fonts

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
as an assignment for a class at school, a "capstone" course (aka an excuse for the school to extort more tuition), we were to submit our current resumes. I made mine myself, none of this ugly stock ms office template crap for me.

the instructor said it was good but that I used too many fonts.

I used :
Garamond for my name at the top
Andale Mono for headers like "objective" and "Certifications"
Garamond for body text.

Was this overkill? Could some of you page layout gurus offer some advice please, I find nothing quite as annoying as doing everything in times new roman and I want my resume to look a little better than the other 300 on the HRs desk so they notice it and read it (and hopefully call me).
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #2 of 7
I don't have any specific font recommendations but I'd generally agree and say that you don't need to use a bunch of different typefaces.

Personally I'd use a single font but add bold headings and up the size of my name.

Additionally, if someone sent me a resume with a bunch of different fonts I'd think they're trying to hide something through fancy typography. Spending a little money on heavier paper is another story though...
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
as an assignment for a class at school, a "capstone" course (aka an excuse for the school to extort more tuition), we were to submit our current resumes. I made mine myself, none of this ugly stock ms office template crap for me.

the instructor said it was good but that I used too many fonts.

I used :
Garamond for my name at the top
Andale Mono for headers like "objective" and "Certifications"
Garamond for body text.

Was this overkill? Could some of you page layout gurus offer some advice please, I find nothing quite as annoying as doing everything in times new roman and I want my resume to look a little better than the other 300 on the HRs desk so they notice it and read it (and hopefully call me).

No, "two fonts" is standard in any layout. (Note that it's not 'font' but 'typeface")

He should have critiqued your pairing of typefaces. If you wanted to improve your layout -- stick to one typeface for your "heads" and another for your 'body".

(Edit: the typefaces need match on a 'design level', though.)

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
No, "two fonts" is standard in any layout. (Note that it's not 'font' but 'typeface")

He should have critiqued your pairing of typefaces. If you wanted to improve your layout -- stick to one typeface for your "heads" and another for your 'body".

(Edit: the typefaces need match on a 'design level', though.)

Thank You! I made all heads one typeface, American Typewriter condenced, and all body Garamond and it looks a lot better, much more professional, while still not looking like a Word Fill-in-the-blank template.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Thank You! I made all heads one typeface, American Typewriter condenced, and all body Garamond and it looks a lot better, much more professional, while still not looking like a Word Fill-in-the-blank template.

Hmmm..... don't forget that combining different Typefaces from different eras is hazardous to your GPA, -- don't get me wrong, sometimes the proportions of typefaces cross several hundred years.

Try Extra Black Futura with Bodoni or even in a pinch, Bold Arial with Times New Roman -- if -- you can keep your rhythm and proportion right.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Thank You! I made all heads one typeface, American Typewriter condenced, and all body Garamond and it looks a lot better, much more professional, while still not looking like a Word Fill-in-the-blank template.

American Typewriter and Garamond clash horribly. No offense.

The rule of thumb is to have only one sans-serif and one serif. San-serif fonts are simple ones like Helvetica, Verdana, or Myriad. Serif fonts are fonts with those extra horizontal lines (called serifs) like in Times, Garamond, or Typewriter.

Also, avoid using a fixed-width font like American Typewriter in general, unless you're specifically going for a computer-y effect.

That said, pick a really good font (I like Myriad and Cochin a lot), and stick with it. That's your best bet.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Hmmm..... don't forget that combining different Typefaces from different eras is hazardous to your GPA, -- don't get me wrong, sometimes the proportions of typefaces cross several hundred years.

Try Extra Black Futura with Bodoni or even in a pinch, Bold Arial with Times New Roman -- if -- you can keep your rhythm and proportion right.

I like your aesthetic.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Resume fonts