or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Superbowl Entertainment

Superbowl Entertainment

post #1 of 34
Well, the pregame is over and there is a medley of Motown classics being sung as I type this. Certainly a representatvie sample of some of the greatest music ever made. Only complaint that I have is that they seem to be doing everything too down-tempo ("Signed Sealed Delivered" in particular) as compared to the originals. I think it takes away a lot of the energy the original songs spewed from the speakers.

Looking forward to the commericals and half-time show.
post #2 of 34
P.S. GO STEELERS!
post #3 of 34
let's get to the game already.

steelers 28 , seahawks 26
post #4 of 34
That Dr. Seuss thing with Harrison Ford, Staubach, Rice, Starr, Montana and the rest was great.
post #5 of 34
That was the worse game ever, and the adverts sucked ass...

The only good one was the MasterCard commercial...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #6 of 34
I dunno... Commericals were definitely more toned down than in years past. I like the Motorola pebl ad, as well as Bud Light's "magic wall" one. The Robot and the Monster H3 ad was clever as well. But on the whole there were fewer over the top gut busting funny commericals.

As far as the game goes, I am glad the Steelers won, but I couldn't help but feel that the refs played too big a role in the game. Not that they called too many penalties, but that those penalties came on huge plays in key situations. I am sure that many Seattle backers feel the same way. Still, nice to see Cowher finally get one after 14 years with the team and good to see Bettis go out on a high note.
post #7 of 34
Terrible Commercials, Terrible Game.

Super Bowl XL: Seattle Seahawks vs. NFL Refs.

Waste of a Day. Maybe the refs can tell us who will win next year's game so we don't have to watch any games. The NFL has to be the second most corrupt sporting association behind the WWE. The only difference is that more players are on roids in the NFL. What a Joke. It's only fitting that Sgt. Slaughter wins it all.

post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
That was the worse game ever, and the adverts sucked ass...

The only good one was the MasterCard commercial...

I nearly shat myself during the FedEx ad with the cavemen. Definitely, far and away the best ad of the bowl. From the first second you can tell it's going to be funny, and then when that animal gets punted at the end -- that's just awesome.

The Pepsi ads were painfully bad (As usual?), and I'm guessing someone is going to get fired over there, if it hasn't happened already. The Budweiser ads were really girlish, too, which is weird since the Bud Light and Michelob Ultra Dark ads were really guy-centric, despite the fact that I've never seen a woman drink Budweiser. . . not even in Daytona. The Ultra Dark ad was my favorite beer ad.
Cat: the other white meat
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Waste of a Day. Maybe the refs can tell us who will win next year's game so we don't have to watch any games. The NFL has to be the second most corrupt sporting association behind the WWE. The only difference is that more players are on roids in the NFL. What a Joke. It's only fitting that Sgt. Slaughter wins it all.

Thank you. Someone else that wishes the Seahawks won.
Resident Furry, Animation student, and Steve Jobs fan.
Resident Furry, Animation student, and Steve Jobs fan.
post #10 of 34
As a long time(from the beginning...) Raider fan, I always keep my tin hat handy. The officiating was pathetic. Or was it? Maybe something else was afoot. Nawww. Super Bowls will SELDOM live up to the hype.

It wasn't a bad game at all if you take the officials out. Of course, you can't do that.

As an (old)oldschool Football fan, the commercial hype associated with the SB is stupifying. Oh well. The Rolling Stones? They SUCK... I mean, don't get me wrong people, I love everything they have recorded up to about, oh let's say, 20 years ago... The game was held in Detroit, it should have been an all-Motown show. Ehh, just my two cents...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #11 of 34
Eh, the officiation was bad both ways.

and....

YAY STEELERS!!!@#
post #12 of 34
Game: BAD.
Badly called (in favor of the Steelers) by the "all star" officials (which is roughly equivalent of being the best downhill skiing team in all of Kansas). Skip Bayless summarizes it well.

Commercials: DECENT.
I liked the magic fridge and the "don't judge too soon" ones...though they weren't as good as last year's.

Halftime show: MEDIOCRE (at best)
U2 was much better. Having a Motown show might have been a thoughtful idea (but I guess I shouldn't complain, afterall they did realize the game was in Motown, you know...like 3 days before it played). Instead they let the Rolling Stones bribe them into letting them do a commercial for themselves.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Game: BAD.
Badly called (in favor of the Steelers) by the "all star" officials (which is roughly equivalent of being the best downhill skiing team in all of Kansas).

Hey, i live in Kansas and would like to say that we have a great downhill skiing team!
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Cato988
Hey, i live in Kansas and would like to say that we have a great downhill skiing team!

Ooops. Sorry. Ummm...how about Mexico?

Was going for the flatness of Kansas (vs. any particular athletic ability).
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
...the "don't judge too soon" ones...though they weren't as good as last year's.

I will never, EVER forget the one where the husband his holding the "bloody" cat and a knife when the wife walks in!

Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I will never, EVER forget the one where the husband his holding the "bloody" cat and a knife when the wife walks in!

Yeah. My favorite by far.
post #17 of 34
What, no giddy hysteria over the coming of the Gillette Fusion?

Count 'em, five blades, and another single blade on the flip side for, you know, shaving. that being the "fusion" part, since I guess "cobbled together" didn't test well.

Is there an upper limit to the number of blades they'll put on these things? Why not six? Ten?

I demand a razor with 27 blades with a powered pump that squirts shaving gel and vibration and lasers!

I want my blades to be marvels of complex engineering and cost 8 bucks apiece! My face deserves no less!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
The game was held in Detroit, it should have been an all-Motown show. Ehh, just my two cents...

I disagree. The two mo-town heroes they had do the national anthem were 10x more painful than the rolling stones were. Aretha Franklin's voice is not the same as it once was.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
I disagree. The two mo-town heroes they had do the national anthem were 10x more painful than the rolling stones were. Aretha Franklin's voice is not the same as it once was.

Mick's ain't much better! And the rest of the group sounded lackluster as well. We all thought the Stones should be embarrassed to perform live, if that's what they always sound like!

The only bad call I saw was the Big Ben TD run, and that was IMHO lacking clear evidence to overturn it. The Seahawks got lucky when the fumble was overturned due to the Steeler having a couple of fingers on the QB. The Steelers simply played harder in the 2nd half, the way the Seahawks were mismanaging the clock and dropping passes left and right, they earned that loss!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
The Seahawks got lucky when the fumble was overturned due to the Steeler having a couple of fingers on the QB.

I bet that's the only time a defender wishes he HADN'T touched the quarterback! \
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox

Count 'em, five blades, and another single blade on the flip side for, you know, shaving. that being the "fusion" part, since I guess "cobbled together" didn't test well.

Is there an upper limit to the number of blades they'll put on these things? Why not six? Ten?

I demand a razor with 27 blades with a powered pump that squirts shaving gel and vibration and lasers!

I want my blades to be marvels of complex engineering and cost 8 bucks apiece! My face deserves no less!

While the 5-bladed razor is funny, can someone tell me what the battery powered version does?! My guess is that it cuts your face up and disfigures you. I don't know about you, but I don't want a battery-powered blade razor.

Besides don't get stuck on the number-of-blades myth. Competing razors may have less blades but they cut more efficiently.

My guess is that next year Gillette will release LazrBlayd (TM), using the amazing power of lasers to shave! Be all the man you can be!!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #22 of 34
The battery ones vibrate, the idea being the vibration sort of, uh, wiggles the blade through your beard.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
The battery ones vibrate, the idea being the vibration sort of, uh, wiggles the blade through your beard.

I actuall heard that it administers a (very small) shock to the skin causing whiskers to stand at attention before they are viciously mowed down by the freedom-hating blades....

uh...ok...ummm...hmmm...sorry...I'm back now.

post #24 of 34
I don't think I want shocks or wiggling. I stick with my Braun rechargeable self-cleaning shaver thank you.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
I don't think I want shocks or wiggling.....

Still, there's a time and a place for everything...
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel

Amen to that. The Anthem was a disgrace.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #27 of 34
Quote:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

Excellent. Now I'm satisfied that this matter has been properly dealt with.
post #29 of 34
I'm always amazed at how much "innovation" can go into mundane stuff like safety razors, tooth brushes, toothpaste, paint, trash bags, facial tissue, toilet paper, etc. They're very boring products that can only get so good, yet somehow they STILL "innovate." Whatever.
post #30 of 34
Every time I go to buy a toothbrush I feel like I've wandered into some kind of marketing design hell.

"Ergonomic" bulbous handles, grip pads, weird little zigs and zags, bristles high, bristles low, special "zones", flexi-parts, "power angles" etc.

I don't remember seeing any advertising for toothbrush innovation, so I think the idea is to mesmerize you at the point of sale with something that looks like it could clean your teeth with sheer iridescent plastic mojo.

When you can spend six or seven dollars on a damn toothbrush you know the process is out of control.

My dentist says get the cheapest soft bristle brush they got and floss, but where's the fun in that?
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I'm always amazed at how much "innovation" can go into mundane stuff like safety razors, tooth brushes, toothpaste, paint, trash bags, facial tissue, toilet paper, etc. They're very boring products that can only get so good, yet somehow they STILL "innovate." Whatever.

My best friend from college went to work for Procter and Gamble R&D from 2000-2005. He left because of his growing disillusionment with finding ways to make old products like Tide, Folgers and Pringles seem new and important. Occasionally a new product comes along that really does change the way things are done, ala the Swiffer and Febreeze, but the drive at these big consumer product companies is to motivate you, the buyer, into perceiving old products as new and feeling the resulting compulsion to buy it. Kind of sucks when you take a cynical look at it. Silver lining is that we can sometimes gain entertainment by the marketing efforts.
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Excellent. Now I'm satisfied that this matter has been properly dealt with.

All I know is that every razor I've ever used cannot get one area of my face smooth with just one or two passes. The Shick Quatro is my current one (I have an electric too...for when I'm fucking lazy). I still have this one area along my left jawbone that is just a bitch. Hmmm....maybe I'll try the Fusion. Nah, I'm going to hold out for the 7 blade model!
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnySmith

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...=ESPNHeadlines

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #34 of 34

That's a darn good article about the SB!

Although I still have to say there were WAY too many commercials during the game, we almost gave up on trying to actually see some football, not the latest jillion blade razor!!
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Superbowl Entertainment