or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Cheney shoots someone

Cheney shoots someone

Poll Results: So how should we treat this accident?

• 52% (1050)
    Hope the guy is going to be allright and move on
  • 47% (962)
    Accuse Cheney of being recless, wanting everybody to die and in general use this to bitch over Bush, Gore, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Iraq, Iran, NK, Hamas, Fatah, Sharon, Hussein, AQ, Cartoons, Mohammad and flags
2012 Total Votes  
post #1 of 203
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1609822

Well... That kinda narrows down the field for Republican candidates in 2008.
post #2 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Guartho
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1609822

Well... That kinda narrows down the field for Republican candidates in 2008.

Cheney wasn't running anyway due to health concerns. Or did you mean the guy he shot?

Republican politicans should stay away from guns, just in case this happens. We will be hearing about this for years from the gun control lobby. On the republican side, you have an accidental shooting - on the democratic side you have Ted Kennedy drunk driving a woman into a lake and killing her (we should ban cars!).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #3 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Cheney wasn't running anyway due to health concerns. Or did you mean the guy he shot?

I was pretty sure that he wasn't running, but hadn't heard for certain. Mainly I was making sure that I commented on the story I was posting.

You're right, this isn't exactly good for NRA political capital.
post #4 of 203
This is just really bad gun etiquette.

You don't turn round and face someone with a loaded gun on a hunt and you break your gun when not in use.

This is exactly what I've been talking about with members of the current Bush cabal: flagrant disregard for any and all laws, rules of conduct and established moral codes of behaviour.

It was absolutely just an accident waiting to happen. And the shooting was pretty inevitable too.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #5 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Guartho
I was pretty sure that he wasn't running,

I would have ran.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #6 of 203
So this Whittington is claiming he isn't a terrorist? Pffft.
post #7 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
So this Whittington is claiming he isn't a terrorist? Pffft.

Yes, but did he divulge ze In-for-ma-tion?.

Edit:

I can see next week's headline: "Cheney accidentally waterboards Patrick Fitzgerald during a 'routine inspection' of Navy SEAL training facility."

post #8 of 203
I wonder if W might want to go hunting with Dick?
post #9 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius

You don't turn round and face someone with a loaded gun on a hunt and you break your gun when not in use.

This is exactly what I've been talking about with members of the current Bush cabal: flagrant disregard for any and all laws, rules of conduct and established moral codes of behaviour.

It was absolutely just an accident waiting to happen. And the shooting was pretty inevitable too.

Well I really hate to say this...but it's not the smartest idea to walk up behind someone who's hunting, of all things, quail. Guess where quail like to hide? Oh yeah. In the brush. Guess what kind of noise they make when they're flushed? Oh yeah. A rustling, very similar to someone walking in brush.

Besides, this is birdshot we're talking about, not .30-06 AP rounds. The guy will be on his feet in a couple days, if not hours.
Desktop Mac: 2.0GHz iMac Core Duo
Laptop Mac: 1.5GHz PowerBook G4
Desktop Mac: 2.0GHz iMac Core Duo
Laptop Mac: 1.5GHz PowerBook G4
post #10 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978

Republican politicans should stay away from guns, just in case this happens. We will be hearing about this for years from the gun control lobby. On the republican side, you have an accidental shooting - on the democratic side you have Ted Kennedy drunk driving a woman into a lake and killing her (we should ban cars!).

Hi Anne Coulter.
proud resident of a failed state
post #11 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Hi Anne Coulter.

Ha Ha - I may be a transvestite, but I am a better looking one than her.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #12 of 203
Speaking of transvestites did you know that there are DEMONCRAT transvestites!?
post #13 of 203
Quote:
Speaking of transvestites did you know that there are DEMONCRAT transvestites!?

Hillary?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #14 of 203
Reps, and their 'compassion':

'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #15 of 203
Not only is Cheney on a personal war on alll arabs. Now he is getting so old he can´t even distinguish them from anybody else.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #16 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean

What the hell is that?
post #17 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
What the hell is that?

I'd say either CS or CS2.

post #18 of 203
Did you guys ever worry that the US was once run by guys with the names Bush, Dick and Colin? Now that Colin left...

Did the quail have a name?

Dan, perhaps?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #19 of 203
Quote:

Is there some article that indicates that what you've said here is what happened? Or are you just speculating the worst?

The linked article says "Cheney turned to shoot a bird and accidentally hit Whittington" but your "turn round and face someone with a loaded gun" is an elaboration and embellishment that doesn't exist in the article.

Quote:

Of course it is.

post #20 of 203
No, the point IS that if you shoot someone while hunting it is NEVER the injured persons fault. Period. Every hunter knows this and recognizes this.

But somehow because it's Cheney there's all these shades of gray.

Frickin' disgusting how the Cult of Bush will go to all ends of hypocrisy to protect their own.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #21 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
No, the point IS that if you shoot someone while hunting it is NEVER the injured persons fault. Period. Every hunter knows this and recognizes this.

But somehow because it's Cheney there's all these shades of gray.

Frickin' disgusting how the Cult of Bush will go to all ends of hypocrisy to protect their own.

1. I am not a hunter.

2. I am not "Cult of Bush" (which appears to be a favorite catch-phrase of yours...weak debate technique, but fun for you anyway I suppose)...stop making assumptions.

3. I am not going "to all ends of hypocrisy to protect" anyone...stop making assumptions.

4. One article I read on the story says: "The AP quoted the ranch's owner saying that Cheney could easily have failed to see Whittington, as the latter walked up behind the Vice President from lower ground and in tall grass."

5. This could have just been an accident. Frickin' disgusting how the Cult of Anti-Bush will go to all ends of to make anything anyone in the administration does resolve to 'flagrant disregard for any and all laws, rules of conduct and established moral codes of behaviour'.
post #22 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Is there some article that indicates that what you've said here is what happened? Or are you just speculating the worst?

The linked article says "Cheney turned to shoot a bird and accidentally hit Whittington" but your "turn round and face someone with a loaded gun" is an elaboration and embellishment that doesn't exist in the article.
:

Chris: simple question.

How is it possible to shoot someone without facing them with a loaded gun?
meh
meh
post #23 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
Chris: simple question.

How is it possible to shoot someone without facing them with a loaded gun?

From what I have read, it sounds like "Whittington, ... walked up behind the Vice President from lower ground and in tall grass" and that Cheney turned (slightly), and fired. Seems possible that this all happened very quickly and that Cheney didn't even see Whittington before he fired. This is quite a different characterization of events than "turn round and face someone with a loaded gun".
post #24 of 203
Of course it was an accident, no one is disputing that.

From the report, it's pretty clear what happened: one member of the party went into the grass to see if he bagged a quail while the other two, including Cheney, went ahead. They flushed more birds, and as Cheney tracked one around he came in line with the guy behind them and shot.

What's telling about the story isn't that an accident happened, it's the immediate and reflexive move to "not really the Vice-President's fault" scenario, in which the guy coming up from behind was stupid not to be announcing his presence.

If you don't hunt, ask around. It's always your fault if you shoot someone, unless someone not in your party just dashes out of the woods into your line of fire. You are obliged, as a basic matter of common sense and etiquette, to be aware of what your "safe zone" is in reference to the others in your party, particularly when it comes to something like quail hunting, where the birds flush suddenly and low. If quail hunters were in the habit of just assuming they could track around on a bird unless someone is saying "look out, I'm standing right here", they would shoot each other all the time.

Again, accidents do happen and I don't think it particularly reflects on Cheney's character. Pretending that the victim had it coming does.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #25 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
What's telling about the story isn't that an accident happened, it's the immediate and reflexive move to "not really the Vice-President's fault" scenario,

That's not my "immediate and reflexive move" at all, but I do think that statements like "turn round and face someone with a loaded gun" seem to be mischaracterizing the events a little...even a lot.

Quote:
Again, accidents do happen and I don't think it particularly reflects on Cheney's character. Pretending that the victim had it coming does.

I'm not "pretending that the victim had it coming".
post #26 of 203
Quote:
That's not my "immediate and reflexive move" at all, but I do think that statements like "turn round and face someone with a loaded gun" seem to be mischaracterizing the events a little...even a lot.

I'm not "pretending that the victim had it coming".

Chris, I'm not talking about what you're saying, I'm talking about how the story is being handled by the White House.
post #27 of 203
Rereading my post I see I wasn't clear about that.
post #28 of 203
The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot....

3. ALWAYS...[w]henever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible....(emphasis mine)
post #29 of 203
Quote:
Chris, I'm not talking about what you're saying, I'm talking about how the story is being handled by the White House.

OK...guess I didn't get that.
post #30 of 203
What a prime idiot. People like Cheney should never be trusted with a firearm (or holding public office for that matter).

Surely that dumb klutz's dad taught him this little rhyme when he was a kid?
\t
If a sportsman true youd be
Listen carefully to me. . .

Never, never let your gun
Pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be
Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross
Though of time it cause a loss
From your gun the cartridge take
For the greater safetys sake.

If twixt you and neighboring gun
Bird shall fly or beast may run
Let this maxim ere be thine
Follow not across the line.

Stops and beaters oft unseen
Lurk behind some leafy screen.
Calm and steady always be
Never shoot where you cant see.

You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think this:
All the pheasants ever bred
Wont repay for one man dead.

Written by Mark Beaufoy of Coombe House, Shaftesbury, Dorset, England, in 1902,
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #31 of 203
Quote:
I am not "Cult of Bush" (which appears to be a favorite catch-phrase of yours...weak debate technique

Quote:
Frickin' disgusting how the Cult of Anti-Bush

So you admit to having a weak debate technique?
post #32 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
What the hell is that?

A joke.
post #33 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
So you admit to having a weak debate technique?

I only admit to openly mocking the (previous) statement.
post #34 of 203
I think tonight's Daily Show will be good stuff.

I feel bad for the guy who got shot but I have to agree that it is dumb to silently sneak up behind a fellow hunter. Meanwhile it will be interesting to see how the fallout of this issue and how it was reported will play out in the coming year.

Bottom line: Cheney screwed up big time!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #35 of 203
Quote:
Hi Anne Coulter.

Slightly offtopic... but since Anne Coulter's name came up,
here's his latest tirade against Arabs

Someone please.....um...
post #36 of 203
Just out of curiosity, how many folks here are hunters/have been hunting and, specifically, quail hunters/hunting?
post #37 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
Slightly offtopic... but since Anne Coulter's name came up,
here's his latest tirade against Arabs

Someone please.....um...

I think we can all agree that she is one woman who has never had an orgasm.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #38 of 203
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many folks here are hunters/have been hunting and, specifically, quail hunters/hunting?

I'm not a hunter but I have a few merit badges under my belt. Seriously, if you practice gun safety techniques this doesn't happen. You know where EVERYONE is before you take a shot. It's that simple.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #39 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by BR
I'm not a hunter but I have a few merit badges under my belt. Seriously, if you practice gun safety techniques this doesn't happen. You know where EVERYONE is before you take a shot. It's that simple.

That's what happens when you avoid military duty all your life.
post #40 of 203
Sounds like Cheney and his unintended victim messed up, but I can think of a whole lot of other reasons I would want Cheney's balls in a vice. A face full of buck shot doesn't compare to some of Cheney's other offenses.

Note to Democrats: Move along there is nothing her to see, focus on the real wrongs committed by this white house.

PS. Ann Coulter needs a couple of weeks vacation at Guantanamo.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Cheney shoots someone