or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Cheney shoots someone

Cheney shoots someone - Page 3

Poll Results: So how should we treat this accident?

• 52% (1050)
    Hope the guy is going to be allright and move on
  • 47% (962)
    Accuse Cheney of being recless, wanting everybody to die and in general use this to bitch over Bush, Gore, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Iraq, Iran, NK, Hamas, Fatah, Sharon, Hussein, AQ, Cartoons, Mohammad and flags
2012 Total Votes  
post #81 of 203
But it won't happen. He's a Republican. He won't be held accountable. At least not by the media.

Now if this where Al Gore...it would be COMPLETELY different.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #82 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by thuh Freak
i'll tell you why. because its not a big deal. and the vp hoped he could be spared the late night talk show jokes. now that its out, everyone is making fun of him.

Sunday night talk-shows?
post #83 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
testimony under oath.

Cheney: what's that?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #84 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by thuh Freak
maybe his cold black heart was genuinely upset for injuring his friend, and in a flustered state, he didn't remember to send out a press release. bfd. there are probably a million likely reasons that the vp/whitehouse didn't put it through normal channels.

we should be focusing on the high crimes and misdemeanors.

The problem is that it is that even little things like this that get "covered up", twisted, etc.... NOTHING they say can be trusted.

The VP was too flustered? He is in the wrong job, then. Ditto for his staff.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #85 of 203
Let me ask one thing though: what is he doing hunting on a workday? Isn't he supposed to be, you know, working on a Friday because he's getting paid for it by taxpayers?

I mean, I'd like me a job where I can just go and shoot people on their face on workdays. Where else can one find a job like that?
post #86 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
The problem is that it is that even little things like this that get "covered up", twisted, etc.... NOTHING they say can be trusted.

Maybe you are right.
post #87 of 203
i think that the argument that maybe he was trying to save face is bullshit. you're the vice president. period.

and i agree that we should also be focusing on the unconstitutionality of the NSA wiretapping program, the outing of a CIA operative, etc ...etc....etc.
post #88 of 203
Quote:
Maybe you are right.

I would think that hitting a ho is much less of a problem than shooting a man in the face.

YMMV, of course.
post #89 of 203
This attention this whole incident has received, particularly from liberals, just proves that DC is hollywood for people who want to think they are smart. It's particularly interesting how every liberal on the face of the earth suddenly became experts in hunting ettiquitte the second this guy got shot.

This one moran I work with even said "I figured out why he shot him: to divert attention away from the fact that Plame was working on Iran." If true, what would that say about the liberals like him who won't shut up about it? (I'm looking at you Josh Marshall)
post #90 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
I would think that hitting a ho is much less of a problem than shooting a man in the face.

YMMV, of course.

You missed the point...by a mile.
post #91 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean

I mean, I'd like me a job where I can just go and shoot people on their face on workdays. Where else can one find a job like that?

They are quite common in my home town
post #92 of 203
Quote:
You missed the point...by a mile.

You missed the joke... by 1.609344 kilometers.
post #93 of 203
Quote:
Maybe you are right.

I was only speaking of the current regime, er, administration.

Really, how many politicians tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth even under oath? Not many, and especially so of those aiming for the WH, regardless of party.

Ike? Lied about Soviet military power. Johnson? Shot JFK??? Other crap in Vietnam. Reagan? I have no recollection. Nixon? Ooh, the tapes. Clinton? I have never... The great men who have led our country! Not exactly role models for my son.

Can someone fill us in with more details of the death of the boyfriend?

post #94 of 203
Quote:
I was only speaking of the current regime, er, administration.

Of course you were.

Quote:
Can someone fill us in with more details of the death of the boyfriend?

Laura was driving a car, with some friends, apparently to a party, ran a stop sign, hit a car, killed occupant of car, no charges were filed as a result of the accident.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp
post #95 of 203
Of course it's simply an accident.

But, imagine if John Kerry where driving that car. It would be totally different, wouldn't it? I'm willing to bet you guys would've branded him Kennedy, Jr.
post #96 of 203
post #97 of 203
At least when Clinton shot someone in the face, no one got hurt.

BTW, I was wondering when someone would bring Clinton up.
post #98 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
At least when Clinton shot someone in the face, no one got hurt.

post #99 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
I was wondering when someone would bring Clinton up.

Well, as soon as someone said "The problem is that it is that even little things like this that get "covered up", twisted, etc.... NOTHING they say can be trusted." it seemed only appropriate given the public/private life separatist/apologists that were running around in that day suggesting that lying about something private wasn't a reflection on his public character or ability, but now (suddenly) "The problem is that it is that even little things like this that get "covered up", twisted, etc.... NOTHING they say can be trusted."

\
post #100 of 203
Quote:

Well, we all know that Clinton has a twist (at least according to Paula Jones), but I don't think that he would appriciate you calling his dongle a "little thing".
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #101 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Well, we all know that Clinton has a twist (at least according to Paula Jones), but I don't think that he would appriciate you calling his dongle a "little thing".

Fair enough...it was a decidely ungentlemanly faux pas on my part.
post #102 of 203
Wow, Barb got off easy. A guy locally to me got a very long stay in a tax-payer-supported facility with high walls following a charge of involuntary manslaughter for killing three people after falling asleep at the wheel. The rules are different in Texas, and for the rich, I guess.

post #103 of 203
The late-night comics must have pissed themselves upon hearing this.
post #104 of 203
So much death around these Conservatives...makes you wonder about their "pro-life" agenda doesn't it?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #105 of 203
Quote:
Wow, Barb got off easy. A guy locally to me got a very long stay in a tax-payer-supported facility with high walls following a charge of involuntary manslaughter for killing three people after falling asleep at the wheel. The rules are different in Texas, and for the rich, I guess.

Was she rich? Her dad ran a homebuilding business out of his house, her mother was a bookeeper, and she was a librarian...
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #106 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
and she was a librarian...

Dem book people make good mullah...
post #107 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
So much death around these Conservatives...makes you wonder about their "pro-life" agenda doesn't it?

They need to maintain the population so as to maintain their tax basin.

post #108 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
But it won't happen. He's a Republican. He won't be held accountable. At least not by the media.

Now if this where Al Gore...it would be COMPLETELY different.

You have absolutely got to be shitting me. The media is going fucking bonkers over a hunting accident. Have you heard the montage of questions some of the more conservative news outlets have put together? It's like the twilight zone in White House press room. One reporter asked if Cheney was going to resign. Resign?

Meawhile, Al Gore (the very same!) goes to Saudi Arabia and speaks at a conference (for a fee!) sponsored in part by our friends The Bin Laden Family and proceeds to bash the US and it's indiscriminately "rounding up Arabs".

I guess your right, Northgate. It IS different. Al Gore gets a free ride on a speech on foreign soil that's practically treason. Cheney causes a hunting accident and suddenly it's time to impeach him.

Let me share with everyone why I have not really posted on this topic: Disbelief. That's it...right there. Total disbelief. You know what went through my head when I first saw the story? Try "Oh, that's too bad. I hope the guy is OK."

My second thought was "I wonder if anyone will try to politicize this?."

The third thought, I shit you not, was: "Hahaha. No. Not even this Democratic party would do that! They'll realize it was a hunting accident and move on. They'll figure that it would be beyond the pale and not beneficial politically."

I really thought that. Honest to God himself. So there you have it, jimmac et al. You're always saying that I'm consistently wrong. I guess you finally have a really good example now!

Honestly, if this does not prove how rabidly partisan the mainstream media is, I don't know what does. He didn't issue a press release? Who the hell cares? We found out within 24 hours. That is not good enough? Suddenly it's a goddamn conspiracy?

And the Democratic Party: Where do I begin? Harry Reid and Hillary Clinton start talking about how this is representative of the secerecy of this administration? I literally laughed out loud when I heard that on my way home today. I really did. This is a party that is beyond desperate.

This was a hunting accident.

Say that over a few times and return to planet earth.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #109 of 203
Quote:
I guess your right, Northgate. It IS different. Al Gore gets a free ride on a speech on foreign soil that's practically treason. Cheney causes a hunting accident and suddenly it's time to impeach him.

So, speaking to people of different nationalities is treason, but shooting people in the face is OK.

As long as it's not "foreign soil". He could have killed the poor guy and chop his body and eat his liver, but at least he didn't talk to dem ragheads...
post #110 of 203
There are still many unanswered questions about this though SDW.

Why was the Sheriff not allowed to talk to VP Cheney immediately after the accident?
Why did the VP not talk to any law enforcement about the accident for 14 hours?
Why did the VP not openly talk about the accident immediately after the fact?
Why did the VP's office let the owner of the ranch release the story? What was the reason for holding back the story?

Quote:
The media is going fucking bonkers over a hunting accident.

SDW, the Press goes bonkers over most accidents. Remember when President Bush fell off his bike? That was a simple accident but it was all over the news. Why? Because he's the leader of the free world. Is it any surprise that the man who is next in the line of succession is getting a lot of press after he shot a man?

Quote:
Honestly, if this does not prove how rabidly partisan the mainstream media is, I don't know what does. He didn't issue a press release? Who the hell cares? We found out within 24 hours. That is not good enough? Suddenly it's a goddamn conspiracy?

As I said before, it's the not crime (or lack thereof), but the cover up. Have politicians not learned that they need to be up front about these kinds of issues? Like it or not, the Vice President is a public servant, he chose to run for political office and press coverage is inevitable, if not required at this point.

Was this an accident? Local law enforcement seems to think so after talking to the VP over 14 hours after the accident. The DA, however, has stated there would be a Grand Jury investigation if Mr. Whittington was to die of these injuries. We can only hope he can overcome the heart issues he is facing, but you don't have 'minor' heart attacks when you're 78, and most surgeries at that age, especially involving major organs, are risky at best.

To take a page out of your book, ask yourself these questions:

Since this is an accident, why won't the Vice President answer any questions?
post #111 of 203
I haven't watched much mainstream media, but what I did see didn't seem even remotely close to hysteria, just reporting something very unusual . . .

I wonder when the Rove machine decided that labeling any sort of discussion of a pro-NRA leader shooting someone in the face as hysteria would be thebest way to quiet the obvious and would effectively inhibit ay sort of reflection on it at all?

. . . and who knows about that resignation question, maybe the reporter was concerned for Cheney's emotional state . . . I mean, after shooting a good friend in the face it might seem a bit difficult to get back to work. I, for one, would be very depressed.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #112 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
I heard that on my way home today. I really did.

When you were listening to Rush tell you how hysterical the Dems and the evil Meida-Liberal-Elite were getting?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #113 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
The victim just had a heart attack. Cheney could wind up killing the man...

it was tiny, a bb hit a heart muscle fiber so lap test will show up "barely positive" asymptomatic the doc says, minimal, except it may have caused a arrythmia.hmmmm
press is blowing this out of proportion, they feel it's more important to notifie them, then get medical care for the man.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #114 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
I haven't watched much mainstream media, but what I did see didn't seem even remotely close to hysteria, just reporting something very unusual . . .

I wonder when the Rove machine decided that labeling any sort of discussion of a pro-NRA leader shooting someone in the face as hysteria would be thebest way to quiet the obvious and would effectively inhibit ay sort of reflection on it at all?

. . . and who knows about that resignation question, maybe the reporter was concerned for Cheney's emotional state . . . I mean, after shooting a good friend in the face it might seem a bit difficult to get back to work. I, for one, would be very depressed.

didn't you watch the "press conference" those reporters were way off base, and the stupid questions "would it be more serious if he died"...how stupid, and they get paid for this. no wonder the main written media is falling like a rock, and people can choose their own outlet for news and info from the internet....and gee we do, and we are better for it. the paper/ print/ tv media is becoming irrelevant
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #115 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
and we are better for it.

Judging by your grammar, punctuation, and writing "style", I highly doubt that.
post #116 of 203
SDW: you get to bitch about the "liberal media" when the mainstream press picks up some utterly scurrilous story from an extreme left wing smear piece to the effect that Cheney was actually trying to kill the guy to keep him quite because he "knew too much" about any of a half dozen scandals swirling around the White House, and keeps that spin on the front burner for months, ala the Vince Foster "story"

Until then, STFU.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #117 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
didn't you watch the "press conference" those reporters were way off base, and the stupid questions "would it be more serious if he died"...how stupid, and they get paid for this. no wonder the main written media is falling like a rock, and people can choose their own outlet for news and info from the internet....and gee we do, and we are better for it. the paper/ print/ tv media is becoming irrelevant

And your obviously well rounded circumspect perspective is better off for it too?

I can't help but think otherwise.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #118 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
It's particularly interesting how every liberal on the face of the earth suddenly became experts in hunting ettiquitte the second this guy got shot.

Some of us liberals were born in Texas.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #119 of 203
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Sunday night talk-shows?

i think it was pretty obvious the moment that his buddy hit to the ground that this would survive any amount of off-time, until the next airing of leno, conan and stewart.

Quote:

The VP was too flustered? He is in the wrong job, then. Ditto for his staff.

if you still trust politicians, well, [insert tired old joke here]. i stopped believing them when the potus got away with lying under oath.

as evil and unhuman-like the veep might be, he's still technically human. when you accidentally severely hurt a friend of yours, you don't think clearly for a while. i believe its called 'shock'. the fact that this was an accident among friends, and not a political thing, idk i'm speculating, maybe the vp didn't think his official channels were the right avenue to go.

sdw: i feel disgusting, but i agree with everything you said, minus the treason tangent. its unreal.
post #120 of 203
Cheney breaks his silence! (to Fox News)

'I'm the Guy Who Pulled the Trigger'

No better way to clear the air than to publicly admit it. Takes the wind out of the opponents sails like nothing else.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184957,00.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Cheney shoots someone