or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.5 Client and Server

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.5 Client and Server

post #1 of 33
check your software update
post #2 of 33
Apple today released Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update for both Intel- and PowerPC-based systems. The maintenance operating system release is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

iChat video conferencingSafari rendering of web pagesusability of Dashboard and widgetsviewing of QuickTime streaming media behind a firewallprinting to some Epson printer modelsiDisk and Portable Home Directory syncingtime zone and daylight savings for 2006 and 2007VPN connections to Cisco servers when using NATcompatibility with third party applications and devices

The PowerPC version of the updated also features fixes for using and mounting Windows formatted storage devices.

A more detailed list of changes and enhancements in Mac OS X 10.4.5 is available on Apple's Knowledge Base Web site.

Additionally, Apple posted Mac OS X 10.4.5 Server Update, which it also recommends for all servers. The update includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for applications, services and technologies such as:

using MySQL on systems with more than 4GB of RAMtime zone and daylight saving changes for 2006 and 2007printing to some Epson printer modelscompatibility with third party applications and devices

A more detailed list of changes and enhancements in this release is also available on Apple's Knowledge Base Web site.
post #3 of 33
it seems this has fixed slow open/save dialogs with iDisk syncing on!
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
it seems this has fixed slow open/save dialogs with iDisk syncing on!

Nice, I'll test out the update when I get home.

Now if only I could disable iDisk on the desktop separately than the other options. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'm finally ready to not have things mounted on the desktop at all! 'Bout time!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #5 of 33
i'll admit that this is a nerdy thing to say but i wish i could remember to wait until Transparedock was able to support an update before i downloaded the update. i ALWAYS forget and am like "oh, right! damn."
post #6 of 33
seems like the FrontRow problem with new 20" Intel iMacs has been fixed.

Can't wait to check if its true at home
This was the only thing that upset me a bit when my new first ever wonderful iMac arrived 2 weeks ago
post #7 of 33
So far so good on a 12" PowerBook and a 20" iMac CD.

I hope this helps AirTunes not drop out as much. Haven't had time to test yet tho.
post #8 of 33
The update breaks the universal binary for USB Overdrive on the intel iMac.

everything else so far is working....haven't tried too much.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #9 of 33
I had some minor problem after install on my 12" G4 PB. The reboot stalled on the grey screen with spinning dial. There was no hard drive noise, and it stayed this way for a few minutes.

After holding down the startup button and restarting, it made it past this screen, then took its time with the desktop appearance. However, it seems to be OK after this. I'll see after a day's usage.

I guess I would hold off if I were others - in fact I will hold off for my G5 iMac.

On MacNN, a few others are reporting such issues.
post #10 of 33
Safari on my 2 Gig G5 is noticeably faster.
post #11 of 33
6.5MB only?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #12 of 33
It's actually 16 MBs.

As usual, I recommend reading both macfixit.com, and macintouch.com for a few days before installing this.

Also, reboot from another drive and fix your disk with Disk Utility first. Fix Permissions after the install.

It's preferable to download the combo updater, and install from that instead.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1045combo.html

The worst thing to do is to install directly from Software Update without doing these things first.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
It's actually 16 MBs.

The installation size, as determined by software update, is different depending on the system that's being updated.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
The installation size, as determined by software update, is different depending on the system that's being updated.

I'm going by the size of the file on their site.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by umijin
I had some minor problem after install on my 12" G4 PB. The reboot stalled on the grey screen with spinning dial. There was no hard drive noise, and it stayed this way for a few minutes.

After holding down the startup button and restarting, it made it past this screen, then took its time with the desktop appearance. However, it seems to be OK after this. I'll see after a day's usage.

I guess I would hold off if I were others - in fact I will hold off for my G5 iMac.

On MacNN, a few others are reporting such issues.

The last few updates (10.4.4 and 10.4.5) on my PB G4 15" messed up the HD tree, with the problem you described plus a noticeable general system slowdown as a result. So after each update, I had to do a safe boot to run the HD repair, and after that it's worked fine. A bit weird, but no worries.
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
post #16 of 33
Quote:
I'm going by the size of the file on their site.

Why would you assume that Gene Clean is doing the same?

You should stop that.
post #17 of 33
Yea! This fixed a font corruption problem I was having.

I use my PBG4 1.67GHz (High Resolution) with an external Sony Trinitron 20in (VGA cable). When I use TeXShop with monitor spanning, the preview PDF file always came up with corrupt looking fonts before. This happened irrespective of which TeXShop window (code or output) is on the main screen (the PB) or the extra screen (the Trinitron).

I don't know if this is a font fix or a graphics driver fix. Either way, I'm happy with this update!
PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
Why would you assume that Gene Clean is doing the same?

You should stop that.

I didn't assume that. You just did. The full size file is 16 MB's. That happens to be correct. Not everyone gets that, it's true, but not everyone gets 6.5 MB's either. So I mentioned that size.

Why do you have a problem with these things?
post #19 of 33
After the update, my new iMac still shows 128MB video RAM. The box it shipped in says it has 256MB (and cost me extra for that too!). Anyone else with this problem?

-Scott
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by scott_r
After the update, my new iMac still shows 128MB video RAM. The box it shipped in says it has 256MB (and cost me extra for that too!). Anyone else with this problem?

-Scott

You better get that checked out. You might have received the wrong machine!
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by drumsticks
You better get that checked out. You might have received the wrong machine!

yeah you probably only have 128 MB vRam, because for me it always hsowed the 256 MB vRam I just had some FrontRow problems with it
post #22 of 33
You better get that vRAM issues looked at ASAP. A guy on MacNN had the same problem, and it turned out that his machine had the wrong amount of RAM installed.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by scott_r

-Scott

There were some comments on Macintouch that some 256M VRAM machines were sent out with only 128MB. Contact apple and get them to replace it (although they'll probably want you to send in the computer or drive 600 miles to an apple store to get it fixed). Too bad they don't have swappable video cards, they could have just sent you a new one and you could just pop it in yourself.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
There were some comments on Macintouch that some 256M VRAM machines were sent out with only 128MB. Contact apple and get them to replace it (although they'll probably want you to send in the computer or drive 600 miles to an apple store to get it fixed). Too bad they don't have swappable video cards, they could have just sent you a new one and you could just pop it in yourself.

best solution really is, that they send you a new one, and once you got it you send in the old machine.
I know its possible with hardwaare parts i.e. broken harddrive, new one is send to you you replace it and then you sen din the old one.
At least that is what was being said on the maccast some time ago
post #25 of 33
Does the new update include any changes to thermal detectors? My PB CPU temperature is reportedly 10 degrees Celcius higher. It used to be about 30 degrees, but is now about 40 degrees. The PB is not noticeably warmer, nor do the fans come on more often though. Actually, the fan never comes on on this machine under my normal use. It's just the temperature indicators that are reporting a higher temperature. I don't know which is correct.

I'm getting my temperature values from the SysStat Nano widget.
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Does the new update include any changes to thermal detectors? My PB CPU temperature is reportedly 10 degrees Celcius higher. It used to be about 30 degrees, but is now about 40 degrees. The PB is not noticeably warmer, nor do the fans come on more often though. Actually, the fan never comes on on this machine under my normal use. It's just the temperature indicators that are reporting a higher temperature. I don't know which is correct.

I'm getting my temperature values from the SysStat Nano widget.

sounds like you should contact Applecare about this one.
Since this can be a really seriouus issue, if not acted in time
post #27 of 33
Apple's claiming 10.4.5 fixes this problem:

PowerBook G4 (Double-Layer SD) audio stutters or skips
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by punica888
sounds like you should contact Applecare about this one.
Since this can be a really seriouus issue, if not acted in time

What is the normal temperature anyway?

EDIT: Reading other forums, I found that 40 degrees Celcius (100 Fahrenheit) is normal, and in fact reasonably cool. So, nothing to worry about, except that it used to be showing about 30 degrees Celcius. Operating environment, software, etc all the same, only difference is 10.4.4 vs 10.4.5.
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #29 of 33
Quote:
What is the normal temperature anyway?

EDIT: Reading other forums, I found that 40 degrees Celcius (100 Fahrenheit) is normal, and in fact reasonably cool. So, nothing to worry about, except that it used to be showing about 30 degrees Celcius. Operating environment, software, etc all the same, only difference is 10.4.4 vs 10.4.5.

Apple could have upped the temp to coax more speed out of the unit. There might be quicker response on some functions than before. It might only be noticeable under certain conditions, though.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Apple could have upped the temp to coax more speed out of the unit. There might be quicker response on some functions than before. It might only be noticeable under certain conditions, though.

Yeah, that's what I suspect as well. I'm sending my machine in for a faulty earphone jack, so I'll ask them then.
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Yea! This fixed a font corruption problem I was having.

I use my PBG4 1.67GHz (High Resolution) with an external Sony Trinitron 20in (VGA cable). When I use TeXShop with monitor spanning, the preview PDF file always came up with corrupt looking fonts before. This happened irrespective of which TeXShop window (code or output) is on the main screen (the PB) or the extra screen (the Trinitron).

I don't know if this is a font fix or a graphics driver fix. Either way, I'm happy with this update!

Crap. I take that back... The font corruption is due to a bad font cache. Nothing to do with 10.4.5
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Crap. I take that back... The font corruption is due to a bad font cache. Nothing to do with 10.4.5

Actually, I'm not the only one with font problems http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenbl...es/000605.html
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer

No, that would be common sence, and Apples desktop team smokes too much crack to let comon sence have a role...hence why the LOW end of a reasonable system is $2000 WITHOUT EVEN A FRIGGEN DISPLAY!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.5 Client and Server