or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › "Firewall" features Apple Computers, iPod

"Firewall" features Apple Computers, iPod

post #1 of 14
The new movie Firewall, staring Harrison Ford had many shots with people using macs. It also featured a pink iPod Mini. Unfortunately they got their facts wrong. In one line, Ford refered to the iPod mini saying "if it can hold 10,000 songs, than...." (dont want to expose any important details to the movie)

We all know that the max the Mini can hold is 1,000...

i dont really give a hoot that they said that, i just thought that it was interesting that noone working on the film said "hey wait... shouldnt we get a regular iPod so that its more realistic?"
post #2 of 14
We should just be happy they featured Apple hardware in the movie! Though showing Apples is actually fairly common in Hollywood. The TV show Mythbusters uses a PowerBook, but with a Mythbusters sticker over the Apple logo on the lid.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #3 of 14
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. It almost ALL movies you see Macs. Is it because they stand our more and you notice it as a Mac over a regular boring PC which you would not notice? Or is it because movie producers like notible and stylish computers (macs) in their movies.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by icfireball
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. It almost ALL movies you see Macs. Is it because they stand our more and you notice it as a Mac over a regular boring PC which you would not notice? Or is it because movie producers like notible and stylish computers (macs) in their movies.

Of course it is because they want something that looks good. If they don't have a mac it is usually because they make some fake OS inside a graphic compositing program. The main reason that people watch most TV shows or Movies is to escape reality. While us mac users are saying "Look there is a Mac", mainstream america that doesn't know much about operating systems just sees some unfamiliar interface that looks slick, and doesn't bring the nausea of dealing with the Windows OS. Hell even the worst movie ever about HACKING, "The Net" used Macs along with "Hackers". You really think a majority of "Hackers" use Macs?

"The Office" on the other hand uses PCs, because they are going for that drab feeling of working in a majority of corporate settings. I don't think they have ever shown someone interacting with an actual computer where the OS is in the shot, but it is pretty obvious they are PCs.

I wouldn't doubt that it is also because Macs are more reliable. If the script requires action where a computer's actions are actually in the shot, you don't want it dragging along like PCs often do and ruin a take in a business where time is money.
post #5 of 14
On TV:
Veronica Mars: Veronica (high-school teenage sleuth) uses a PB
CSI NY: Mac Taylor's desk has an ACD on it, also Dells and a ViewSonic in the lab.
Yes Dear: Kim (one of the mothers) uses a PB

We could actually make this a permanent thread: Sightings of Macs in the Media
My computer can beat up your computer.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #6 of 14
post #7 of 14
One of the characters on the show "Half and Half" has a PowerBook, but the Apple logo does not show. Either they had a sticker designed so you can't see it or they digitally air brushed the logo because the lid was solid silver.

Are the Apple logos hidden so the shows do not have to pay Apple a fee because that would be considered advertising? I believe the MTV show "Real World" blurs any logos on clothing the cast wears.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by troberts

Are the Apple logos hidden so the shows do not have to pay Apple a fee because that would be considered advertising?

Er... Apple would pay THEM the fee for advertising.

And there are 2 reasons why they would cover up the Apple logo. One is that they get paid for product placement, so won't show the product unless Apple pays them. The other is that the Apple logo is so famous and distinctive that they don't want to look like they are advertising. I've always thought it would be interesting to start a thread with programmes that feature disguised Apples. There are masses of them.
post #9 of 14
any1 seen blade 3. apples everywhere. the hero says the day by using a Powerbook and ipod to get hyped and litsen to music while fightening. and if thats not enough, the "bad guys" have windows computers that get blown up by the good guys. the second time watching it with the whole apple theme applied in my mind made the movie so halarious.

"The box office of the franchise with Blade II earning $81.6 million in 2002. For this reason Blade 3 had been made to be even more commercial and I am not just talking about toys. Sponsorship from Apple Computers in my opinions was on all time piss take and approaching the final climatic battle scene Jessica Biel's characters was downloading music on her Apple laptop then transferring it onto her I-Pod with the distinctive white earphones and cables that really show up against the black clothing"

http://www.futuremovies.co.uk/review.asp?ID=235
post #10 of 14
I saw Firewall today and while it was a good movie it was nowhere near great, heck I wanted to kill Harrison Ford most of the time... the guy thought he was a super hero!!

And yes I saw the Macs, they look pretty good on the big screen
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Cato988
The new movie Firewall, staring Harrison Ford had many shots with people using macs. It also featured a pink iPod Mini. Unfortunately they got their facts wrong. In one line, Ford refered to the iPod mini saying "if it can hold 10,000 songs, than...." (dont want to expose any important details to the movie)

OMFGOAPS

That means the Mini will be reintroduced tomorrow with an 20GB 1.8 inch HD
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by i-am-an-elf
[B]any1 seen blade 3. apples everywhere. the hero says the day by using a Powerbook and ipod to get hyped and litsen to music while fightening.

No, and I don't intend after reading that.

If you are a producer, writer, and/or director and you put Powerbooks and iPods into scripts of movies with the number 3 at the end of the title... you are officially a HACK.

Someone should just nuke hollywood already.
post #13 of 14
The actual reason is that Steve Jobs asctually went around and gave all of the studios macs for the films. Its a lot cheaper to use a computer you have and be inaccurate about hacking than it is to buy a whole new computer. Also when the movie Hackers came out it computers were a lot more expensive. Linux was barely 3 years old and was not as commonly used as it is now. Just keep in mind that its a dated movie, but its still entertaining.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnySmith

"The Office" on the other hand uses PCs, because they are going for that drab feeling of working in a majority of corporate settings. I don't think they have ever shown someone interacting with an actual computer where the OS is in the shot, but it is pretty obvious they are PCs.

I wouldn't doubt that it is also because Macs are more reliable. If the script requires action where a computer's actions are actually in the shot, you don't want it dragging along like PCs often do and ruin a take in a business where time is money.

No, the shots of the OS show something that looks identical to OS 9.

Busted.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › "Firewall" features Apple Computers, iPod