or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates iTunes and iLife '06 applications

Apple updates iTunes and iLife '06 applications

post #1 of 49
Apple Computer this afternoon updated iTunes to version 6.0.3 and and also released maintenance updates to all the component applications of iLife '06 with the exception of GarageBand.

The updates were made available via the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism and also posted them to the Apple Support Web site.

iTunes 6.0.3 Update

According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB) includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2. The company notes that after purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, users will also need to upgrade their other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to the latest version of iTunes.

iDVD 6.0.1 Update

iDVD 6.0.1 Update (4.6MB) resolves issues with integration with the other iLife applications, importing of legacy projects and some theme related issues. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iMovie HD 6.0.1 Update

iMovie HD 6.0.1 Update (51.8MB) resolves issues with Ken Burns rendering performance, Scrubber Bar editing performance and theme image quality. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iPhoto 6.0.1 Update

iPhoto 6.0.1 Update(12MB) resolves issues with photocasting, viewing thumbnails in large libraries, and ordering cards, calendars and books. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iWeb 1.0.1 Update

iWeb 1.0.1 Update (18.3MB) addresses issues related to publishing and blogs. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.
post #2 of 49
I suppose Apple can afford the bandwidth, but the file size of these updates seems a bit excessive for "minor improvements".

Anyhow, I'll turn on my backup drive for the second system backup in as many days.
post #3 of 49
"According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB) includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2".
Wow, I wasn't aware of any problems.

I guess I'll just wait for iTunes 7.0.

These 'updates' seem like Windows patches!
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I suppose Apple can afford the bandwidth, but the file size of these updates seems a bit excessive for "minor improvements".

Anyhow, I'll turn on my backup drive for the second system backup in as many days.

They're always excessive if you ask me. Especially the QuickTime and iTunes updates.

As for the "...includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2" description Apple always puts, I'm pretty sure it translates to "we've patched some security holes in the iTMS or broken 3rd-party DRM hacks."

'cuz really, has anyone had iTunes crash on them lately? I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever.
post #5 of 49
I am glad to see them updating iMovie, there was huge issues with importing images and rendering kens burns effects.
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo
These 'updates' seem like Windows patches!

Although any iTunes update can have secret consequences...

How about the Windows iTunes users though... If this update was just for issues related to iLife, everyone has to update even if they aren't using iLife '06.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
They're always excessive if you ask me. Especially the QuickTime and iTunes updates.

As for the "...includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2" description Apple always puts, I'm pretty sure it translates to "we've patched some security holes in the iTMS or broken 3rd-party DRM hacks."

'cuz really, has anyone had iTunes crash on them lately? I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever.

If you had said this 3 days ago, i would have said Amen but not anymore. I had a bad crash the other day. I do not know what caused it but luckily i had a library file backup from just the day before. I lost 1 album i had to re add but that was it. It did somehow mess up my ipod. the ipod had everything but didn't show album art. I just reforammted and synced. I had to wait until i had time to syn 30 gig of music but it wasn't too bad
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
-Justin Winokur

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo
"According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB) includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2".
Wow, I wasn't aware of any problems.

Update via Software Update was 18.5 mb.
post #9 of 49
Quote:

People have reported difficulties with iTunes 5.0 such that they had to downgrade, which shouldn't have been't a major change. Supposedly, downgrading that program was non-trivial.

On my sister's computer, 6.0.2 would consistently die before finishing an iPod sync, reinstalling it, doing drive checking and so on did not affect it. Luckily, uninstalling it and putting on 6.0.1 resolved it without much hard work.

I don't care if it is Apple or not, I don't implicitly trust a claimed bug fix or a patch to be perfectly stable to the point that I don't do a system backup. This is especially for a program like iTunes that does change system components on occasion, regardless of history. A backup of my system drive only takes fifteen minutes and easily pays off should something go wrong.

The fact that this round of updates involve five major programs and for me, 110MB of downloads, I'd say it's an easy call for a quick backup.
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by 2stepbay
Update via Software Update was 18.5 mb.

Mine too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #11 of 49
Quote:
'cuz really, has anyone had iTunes crash on them lately? I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever. [/B]

Had one yesterday. I just hope this update makes iTunes less of a resource hog.
post #12 of 49
Having frequent updates is fine, but Apple should spare a thought for those that have slow dialup outside Europe and the US. I will have to try and coax the local Apple shop to download these things for me whenever they come out.
post #13 of 49
Assuming you do not update through software update, wouldn't it be faster to redownload the program. 50+ mb is more than a brand new install
-Justin Winokur

-Justin Winokur

post #14 of 49
Wouldn't it be cheaper for Apple to do more testing via hiring more QA engineers or larger Beta programs? Seems like they release too early and then patch regularly.
post #15 of 49
We go through these issues every time.

Apple can't account for every configuration when they release programs. It's not like an OS release, where they SHOULD delay until most bugs are gone.

As for the size of the files, well, even minor issues might involve making small changes to a large bit of code. It could be a couple of lines here, and a couple of lines there. But the entire area might have to be updated, rather than just those lines.
post #16 of 49
It appears that their system update (10.4.5) has crippled Microsoft Word on one of my G5s. This is not an insignificant problem!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
It appears that their system update (10.4.5) has crippled Microsoft Word on one of my G5s. This is not an insignificant problem!

Well, that's an odd one, for sure!

It's also why I ALWAYS reccomend than no one install these updates until AFTER reading the reports on macfixit.com, and macintouch.com for several days.

Most likely there's some other 3rd party software causing the problem. Or the drive wasn't checked first, or permissions weren't fixed, etc.
post #18 of 49
Or do a clone/backup prior to installing the updates and revert to the backup in the event of problems...
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeptik
Having frequent updates is fine, but Apple should spare a thought for those that have slow dialup outside Europe and the US. I will have to try and coax the local Apple shop to download these things for me whenever they come out.

Frequent updates are NOT fine. They're infuriating. They're time-consuming. And they're a joke. iTunes seems to be always 'updated', like its a bi-weekly phenomonom or something. But after a while, people just start ignoring the updates because they don't have the time, or just don't want to waste it, to install freakin' updates. And if they include security fixes, then guess what, no one gets them, because Apple doesn't tell you what, if anything, was actually fixed.

For windows users this is even worse, because all you can do there is download the entire installer, which includes the entire Quicktime component, which must be installed (and, BTW, you can't get quicktime for windows, you have to install itunes to get it - talk about MS'ing the Windows crowd).

Friends of mine just updated their version of itunes to 6.0.2 because she was tired of seeing the 'there's an update' message. They joke about how there seems to be an almost unending stream of updates to the software, and you can't deny it. Every time a new iPod or new feature or new anything is done, time to update. Then there's the bug fixes. Then more updates.

Hey apple, try testing longer, and updating less. You're customers would appreciate it!
post #20 of 49
BTW, for those that have installed 6.0.3, can you tell me whether it fixes the bug in 6.0.2 that affected smart playlists and star ratings? I updated to 6.0.2 on my iBook, but not my PowerMac because of this.

(In case you don't know what it is, if you create a smart playlist, pick "My Rating" and try to set it to 2 or 3, it would jump to 4 or 5 instead. It acts like its doubling the star value.)
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
BTW, for those that have installed 6.0.3, can you tell me whether it fixes the bug in 6.0.2 that affected smart playlists and star ratings? I updated to 6.0.2 on my iBook, but not my PowerMac because of this.

(In case you don't know what it is, if you create a smart playlist, pick "My Rating" and try to set it to 2 or 3, it would jump to 4 or 5 instead. It acts like its doubling the star value.)

I also found that problem in 6.0.2. We'll have to wait to see if it's fixed. I haven't got the strength to update 10.4.4 or iTunes until I've finished my current project.
post #22 of 49
Well I haven't seen anyone talking about iPhoto yet. I'm wondering am I the only one with serious problems? I'm talking problems of a Microsoftian nature.

So I've been using iLife '06 that came with my new iMac core duo and it was bombing pretty frequently the past month. I can't recall the different bugs but there were at least 5, ranging from little things like locking certain albums and not allowing me to edit until I closed and restarted to consitently completely blowing up in the middle of making calendars. I have never seen an Apple program so bad.

Anyway, here's the point. I was quite excited to install yesterday's updates. I shouldn't have been. NOW IT WILL NOT RUN AT ALL!!

It begins to start, I get the iPhoto window, I see it "Loading Photos...." for a second and then boom: Application Shutdown! Anyone else in the same boat?
post #23 of 49
Quote:

I don't remember adjusting it in 6.0.2, but the "my rating" line in a smart playlist edit works properly for me.
post #24 of 49
My only bitch about the whole suite of applications is with iWeb. If you try to export your project into a folder, instead of .Mac, it breaks the RSS link. I realize that this is probably a small issue, but it does break the whole "It Just Works" theme of the Mac.

I already submitted my bug report, and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Anyone else have this issue??
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by joblowski
Well I haven't seen anyone talking about iPhoto yet. I'm wondering am I the only one with serious problems? I'm talking problems of a Microsoftian nature.

So I've been using iLife '06 that came with my new iMac core duo and it was bombing pretty frequently the past month. I can't recall the different bugs but there were at least 5, ranging from little things like locking certain albums and not allowing me to edit until I closed and restarted to consitently completely blowing up in the middle of making calendars. I have never seen an Apple program so bad.

Anyway, here's the point. I was quite excited to install yesterday's updates. I shouldn't have been. NOW IT WILL NOT RUN AT ALL!!

It begins to start, I get the iPhoto window, I see it "Loading Photos...." for a second and then boom: Application Shutdown! Anyone else in the same boat?

Nothing so dramatic, but AirTunes doesn't seem to work anymore...
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Eggleston
If you try to export your project into a folder, instead of .Mac, it breaks the RSS link.

But isn't the RSS link tied to your iDisk/.Mac account? If that's not where your site is hosted then it makes sense that the RSS feed would stop working.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeptik
Apple should spare a thought for those that have slow dialup outside Europe and the US.

How about you just leave your system updating before you go to bed at night? When you get up it should be done.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Eggleston
My only bitch about the whole suite of applications is with iWeb. If you try to export your project into a folder, instead of .Mac, it breaks the RSS link. I realize that this is probably a small issue, but it does break the whole "It Just Works" theme of the Mac.

I already submitted my bug report, and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Anyone else have this issue??

Apple doesn't reply to individual bug reports.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever.

Not here either, ever.

Some of the problems people have iTunes are likely related to third party software. Making modifications inside the application bundle (e.g. theme hacking) seems especially risky.

iPhoto 5 is the only Apple app that's given me significant ongoing trouble (e.g. Force Quit required after externally editing an image with PhotoShop Elements and other "random" beachball lockups). Various library repairs have temporarily fixed it but the problems eventually return. Hopefully iPhoto 6 (upgrading soon, now that 6.0.1 is out) will permanently squash that mysteriously frustrating bug.

Safari has been satisfyingly stable lately, maybe last crashing about two months ago. Still waiting for a robust "standalone" saved session manager plugin (with crash recovery), improving on what the Saft plugin provides (its other features are superfluous for me).
post #30 of 49
Quote:

Hey apple, try testing longer, and updating less. You're customers would appreciate it!

Can we say a collective "Amen"!!!
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by mikef
Or do a clone/backup prior to installing the updates and revert to the backup in the event of problems...

SuperDuper!'s Sandbox feature is useful for reverting to a pre-updated system, if you have resources for setting that up.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
But isn't the RSS link tied to your iDisk/.Mac account? If that's not where your site is hosted then it makes sense that the RSS feed would stop working.

Actually, that would be poor design. iWeb creates the RSS file in the folder it is "RSSing" (for lack of a better word). iWeb transforms the like from a relative link (which works), to a static link (and that fails). The reason why it fails is it makes the link the path of where the file is located on my machine, preceded by the URL path that I supply it, when it asks for it in the export screen.

There is no reason why this should not work.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mike Eggleston
post #33 of 49
A lot you are having far more problems than I.

I updated my G5 and PowerBook and everything is fine.

I don't use hacks or third party alterations and am not having any problems in those areas. If you do use hacks or an abundance of third party alterations that don't work correctly seems unfair to blame Apple.

One of the biggest issues I was having was Safari crashing when I had too many tabs open. Everytime it crashed I sent the report to Apple figuring they should get the message that this is a big problem. Now that seems to be fixed.

The next issue I'm having is with Quicktime. I'm still using QT 7.0.3 because 7.0.4 breaks my QT Pro license. I don't know what benefit comes from 7.0.4 so I'm in ignorant bliss with 7.0.3.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Friends of mine just updated their version of itunes to 6.0.2 because she was tired of seeing the 'there's an update' message. They joke about how there seems to be an almost unending stream of updates to the software, and you can't deny it.

Keeping in mind the swiss cheese nature of Windows those updates more than likely contain serious security upgrades.

I can agree with you in one sense. I would uncheck and ignore unimportant downloads like the one for the iTunes phone. I'm not going to buy one of those so I don't need the software for it.

Looks like the iTunes phone software may have snuck in somehow though because I no longer see it in Software Updater.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
A lot you are having far more problems than I.

I updated my G5 and PowerBook and everything is fine.

I don't use hacks or third party alterations and am not having any problems in those areas. If you do use hacks or an abundance of third party alterations that don't work correctly seems unfair to blame Apple.

One of the biggest issues I was having was Safari crashing when I had too many tabs open. Everytime it crashed I sent the report to Apple figuring they should get the message that this is a big problem. Now that seems to be fixed.

The next issue I'm having is with Quicktime. I'm still using QT 7.0.3 because 7.0.4 breaks my QT Pro license. I don't know what benefit comes from 7.0.4 so I'm in ignorant bliss with 7.0.3.

Problems with hacks and alterations doesn't mean that there aren't real problems with the main program, even if you have never encountered them. My sister's iTunes installation has NO third party extensions, alterations and hacks. Maybe I should suggest that you have alterations on Quicktime because I haven't had a problem with it yet, and I do have a legal Pro licence.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
SuperDuper!'s Sandbox feature is useful for reverting to a pre-updated system, if you have resources for setting that up.

I'll have to look into that. I am a new Super Duper user, but never done anything more than clone for backup purposes.
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Problems with hacks and alterations doesn't mean that there aren't real problems with the main program, even if you have never encountered them.

Seems to me clearly I was not saying this. I said in my statement I do not use hacks and I gave two examples of apps that have problems in the code.

I clearly said those who are using hacks or alterations should not blame Apple for problems. If you or any friends or relatives have problems but are not using hacks then my statement does not apply and needs no rebuttle.

The Quicktime 7.0.4 is a well known and documented problem. So much so that Apple offered a software reversion back to 7.0.1. If you have no problems with it you are fortunate.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
iTunes 6.0.3 Update

According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB)

Ummmm...how is it that a PATCH can be 54MB on a media player?!?!?

You essentialy have a front end to an XML database that calls media to be played via the included codecs, Other than crypto for the god damned DRM, iTunes does just what Winamp did in 1999 in a ~7 MB download...Whats with the bloat?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Ummmm...how is it that a PATCH can be 54MB on a media player?!?!?

You essentialy have a front end to an XML database that calls media to be played via the included codecs, Other than crypto for the god damned DRM, iTunes does just what Winamp did in 1999 in a ~7 MB download...Whats with the bloat?

At first glance, I thought it was the full size of iTunes + Quicktime, but iTunes 6.0.3 separate download is 19.x MB, Quicktime Installer was 49MB.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer

Such hostility

Seriously though, I agree. I like iTunes but I don't think it needs to be as large as it is. I'm sure it's not solely the DRM code that's causing the bloat.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates iTunes and iLife '06 applications