or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Government Sells Port Authority to UAE Royal Family

Government Sells Port Authority to UAE Royal Family

post #1 of 195
So our illustrious and infallable government has decided to authorize the sale of a significant portion of port authority to Dubai World Ports, a United Arab Emerites company owned and controlled by the royal family.

Quote:
The Bush administration dismissed the security concerns of local officials yesterday and restated its approval of a deal that will give a company based in Dubai a major role in operating ports in and around New York City.

Representatives of the White House and the Treasury Department said they had given their approval for Dubai Ports World to do business in the United States after a rigorous review. The decision, they said, was final.

Dubai Ports World is buying the British company that currently operates the cruise-ship terminal on the West Side of Manhattan, one of the biggest cargo terminals in New York Harbor, and terminals in Philadelphia, Baltimore and other big ports.

The Committe on Foreign Investments in the U.S. approved the grant. Gonzales, Rice, Rumsfeld, Snow and others sit on the committee. They decided it did not pose a security threat. How exactly did they come to this conclusion?

There are some serious red flags here folks.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 195
What red flags?

UAE is an ally of ours, we are at no more risk than we were before.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 195
Given free and open markets the American worker cannot be outproduced.

Or something like that.

proud resident of a failed state
post #4 of 195
Funny. Because there seems to be a big issue with people who have Middle-Eastern names going to truck driving schools. Wingers are outraged that they're learning to drive trucks.

Quote:
Debbie Schlussel has the facts about a truck-driving school in Missouri where about 300 people who took the licensing test from May 2004 to December 2005 had names that appeared to be Middle Eastern in origin. Thats about 60% of the total number of people tested at the school.

"Fortunately, the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force (a fancy name for a group that hasn't done much) raided the school, and the Missouri Highway Patrol has blocked the school from testing new students or issuing further licenses. Well, it's about time. What took so long?"

So when this bedwetter says, "Are potential Islamic terrorists trying to get commercial driver's licenses (CDLs) and hazardous materials hauling certificates? You bet, they are." -- I'm surprised the same outrage isn't applied to security issues wrt to our ports.

My point is that I'm less concerned with Muslims in our country going to school to learn how to earn a living than I am with a FOREIGN Middle-Eastern COUNTRY securing one of our security weak points.
post #5 of 195
As I asked in another thread, "Will anthing make America turn on the regime?" (I think I misquoted myself)

This one has the left and the right and all in between shaking their heads.
post #6 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac on a Mac
As I asked in another thread, "Will anthing make America turn on the regime?" (I think I misquoted myself)

This one has the left and the right and all in between shaking their heads.

Like I've always said. Bush is bad for everybody. The reason is he's doing what he wants to do. For his philosophy. For himself.

It's this that will cause serious problems for the republicans in the next election. I'm just surprised that some Bush supporters don't see it. Maybe they don't want to.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #7 of 195
Let us all pause for a moment and contemplate the absolute bat-shit pandemonium that would have erupted if a Kerry administration had tried something like this.

Absolute. Bat-shit. Pandemonium.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #8 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Let us all pause for a moment and contemplate the absolute bat-shit pandemonium that would have erupted if a Kerry administration had tried something like this.

Absolute. Bat-shit. Pandemonium.

Selling the ports to the terrorists!
post #9 of 195
Perhaps someone would actually like to indicate why he/she feels this is such a bad deal? UAE is an ally, correct? While it makes for a sensational headline, no one seems to have presented a good argument against allowing the deal to go through. That is, unless we are going to ban all forign companies from operating US ports.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #10 of 195
Bush's antics are turning into a real soap opera.

I'm going to call it : " As The Noose Tightens "
post #11 of 195
First, I think it's a bad idea to have ANY foreign state control our port security. Period. It's been thoroughly documented that security at our ports is one of our HUGE weak links. Our infrastructure has too much at risk to take any chances what so ever.

More specifically, I wil go further by saying that I don't have a problem with American private sector control over the ports, but I have to draw the line when the company in question is a foreign STATE controlled company. That includes M.E. states, Singapore, etc.

Also, let's not forget that the UAE was one a country that formally recognized the Taliban. I think it should also be noted that one of the emmerites was part of Al Qaeda's financial dealings -- with a significant amount of money flowing from UAE to the 9/11 hijackers.

Everyone should be reminded that our embassy in Dubai was completely shut down due to serious terrorist threats.
post #12 of 195
Well, at least maybe they'll have decent security.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #13 of 195
Here is the rundown on the UAE's record on terrorism:
  • The UAE was one of three countries in the world to recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.
  • The UAE has been a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.
  • According to the FBI, money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through the UAE banking system.
  • After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was not cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin Laden's bank accounts.
Thank god we invaded Iraq!
post #14 of 195
There are a lot of folks on both sides of the aisle who want this looked into.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #15 of 195
As usual the Western 'allies' are really the same old quasi-fascist dictatorships specializing in human right's violations - the difference now of course is they have the US blessing (and it seems, as in this case, also rewards) and get to have a license and free-pass for their abuses as long as they pay lip-service to the WOT.

The US gets allies in the region and to outsource torture, the 'allies' get financial business sweetners and a guarantee of no 'regime-change'.

Everyone's a winner.

Except the victims in the middle.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #16 of 195
This is a very interesting issue. It's been a long time since so many Republicans and Dems agreed on an issue. Only the most loyal of regime loyalists are running their usual smack. Even people like the very hot Michelle Malkin are questioning the regime. This morning I heard Texans Sheila Jackson-Lee and Ted Poe interviewd and they agreed! Maybe a first.
post #17 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
There are a lot of folks on both sides of the aisle who want this looked into.

Nick

Thank god.
post #18 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Thank god.

You're welcome. Anyone find it odd that Carter and Bush support this? Talk about your odd couplings.

Nick

post #19 of 195
Doobie-Ya is not a happy camper.

Quote:
"After careful review by our government, I believe the transaction ought to go forward," Bush told reporters who had traveled with him on Air Force One to Washington. "I want those who are questioning it to step up and explain why all of a sudden a Middle Eastern company is held to a different standard than a Great British company. I am trying to conduct foreign policy now by saying to the people of the world, `We'll treat you fairly.'"

I am curious about the reaction to this. Out of one side of certain politician's mouths comes "we are responsible for creating the terrorists" and on the other is "make those crazed camel jockeys sit at the back of the bus -- they'll cut our throats in our beds!!"

??

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #20 of 195
make those crazed camel jockeys sit at the back of the bus

Careful....never let them get behind you.
post #21 of 195
If UAE is in charge of the ports the Bush administration can easily ferry prisoners to US soil for torture. They don't want another Gitmo so keeping things close to the vest and with controlled destinations will ensure that nobody learns of it this second time around.

Seriously though, if we wouldn't hire someone to run abusive airport security, I doubt we'd want them looking after our ports. This double standard is bizarre but if the decision was made in the open we might be able to agree with it. Instead, like the Cheney issue, the entire decision was shrouded in secrecy.

Business as usual for the Bush administration.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #22 of 195
So Bush is threatening to veto any attempt by Congress to interfere in the deal. For a guy who's never vetoed a single bill, he sure picks odd occasions to issue these threats. IIRC, the last time was his threat to veto the McCain-sponsored attempt to clarify US policy on torture.
post #23 of 195
I was blaise about this entire thing until Bush threatened to veto any bill set to block this transfer... Something doesn't sit right, and it isn't security related.
post #24 of 195
Why are people suddenly concerned about us being in bed with nations that have 9/11 connections?

*ahem*

*ahem*

Do people think that we're only going to have a bunch of turban-headed guys running the ports that can't speak English sneaking stuff in?

Did the Department of Homeland Security disappear while I wasn't looking? Customs? Port Authorities?

I'm not a big giant fan of doing so much business in shady circumstances, but this is an extremely odd thing for everyone to get all freaked out about.
post #25 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
First, I think it's a bad idea to have ANY foreign state control our port security. Period. It's been thoroughly documented that security at our ports is one of our HUGE weak links. Our infrastructure has too much at risk to take any chances what so ever.

More specifically, I wil go further by saying that I don't have a problem with American private sector control over the ports, but I have to draw the line when the company in question is a foreign STATE controlled company. That includes M.E. states, Singapore, etc.

Also, let's not forget that the UAE was one a country that formally recognized the Taliban. I think it should also be noted that one of the emmerites was part of Al Qaeda's financial dealings -- with a significant amount of money flowing from UAE to the 9/11 hijackers.

Everyone should be reminded that our embassy in Dubai was completely shut down due to serious terrorist threats.

If that's your position, then fine. I respect that. But if we do allow companies from other nations to run our ports (as they have been doing), then we can't discriminate without a good reason.

Quote:
Here is the rundown on the UAE's record on terrorism:

The UAE was one of three countries in the world to recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

The UAE has been a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.

According to the FBI, money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through the UAE banking system.

After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was not cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin Laden's bank accounts.

Thank god we invaded Iraq!

1. OK, fair enough.

2. So has the Atlantic Ocean. And China's helped out Iran and NK more than UAE ever could have.

3. Imagine the terror money that goes through OUR banking system unnoticed. Maybe we shouldn't control the ports either?

I just don't get the knee jerk reaction here....in other words I agree with goverat. I've seen no good reason to stop this deal. Port security doesn't change, and it's still owned by a foreign company. If someone gives me a good reason we should not allow this to go through, then fine. I just don't see it at present.
post #26 of 195
The UAE has Al-Queda sympathizers in the country. They money laundered for them.

There is no logical reason for the US to allow any Arab country to be anywhere near our ports. Actually I think its ridiculous to allow any foreign country to be able to do this.

The Bush Administration is a train wreck. I believe Bush just cemented his place in history as the worst President of all time.
Even Republicans can't stand the moron.

I can't wait for 2008, if just to see Bush get shipped back to Texas.
post #27 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
The UAE has Al-Queda sympathizers in the country. They money laundered for them.

So do other nations. Like the US, or UK or France or Russia. What is your point?
post #28 of 195
Come on, this is the logical extension of Laissez-Faire, tree-trade, market-value thinking: countries are masks that bind the populace into malleable forces where the real power is money . . . forget nations, forget land, whoever has the bucks gets the gig. . . . and no-regulating body should exist . . . that would merely hamper the free-flow of cash . . . raise all the boats!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #29 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
So do other nations. Like the US, or UK or France or Russia. What is your point?

My point is that it a state owned company. The state is an Arab country that I wouldnt trust if I could throw them.

To be honest, I dont want to see any foreign country controlling our ports, arab or not.
post #30 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
My point is that it a state owned company. The state is an Arab country that I wouldnt trust if I could throw them.

To be honest, I dont want to see any foreign country controlling our ports, arab or not.

Nevermind...
post #31 of 195
This is ridiculous. We should not let any foreign company control the entry points to our country.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #32 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Res
This is ridiculous. We should not let any foreign company control the entry points to our country.

Control or run?

These ports are commercial enterprises which are watched over by locally run port authorities and the nationally run coast guard...
post #33 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
If that's your position, then fine. I respect that. But if we do allow companies from other nations to run our ports (as they have been doing), then we can't discriminate without a good reason.

A UK company has been running them. We have all sorts of special arrangements with the UK and UK companies, which we don't extend to other nations. UK contractors are allowed to bid on US defense contracts, for example, while even French and German firms are not. I'll stand corrected if it turns out a Chinese or Bolivian company has been running the Port of Long Beach all these years, but I'm perfectly comfortable with a policy of giving special consideration to the UK, and not to other nations.
post #34 of 195
Now W claims he didn't know about the deal until after it had been cut. Sorry, no link yet. Just heard it on the radio.
post #35 of 195
This is not good.

Here's the thing on Doobie-Ya.

post #36 of 195
I''m listening to a live interview with Tom Delay on this issue. Even he disagrees with the President. Amazing!
post #37 of 195
Bush never ceases to surprise me. Yesterday he's defending the issue to the point where he was threatening a veto and today he's saying he didn't know anything and wasn't involved. Oh great, all the more reason to jump in head first!

Anyhow, sounds like someone's on UAE's payroll.
post #38 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
I just don't get the knee jerk reaction here....in other words I agree with goverat. I've seen no good reason to stop this deal. Port security doesn't change, and it's still owned by a foreign company. If someone gives me a good reason we should not allow this to go through, then fine. I just don't see it at present.

Well this is enough for me to say "no way"...

Quote:
The Central Intelligence Agency did not target Al Qaeda chief Osama bin laden once as he had the royal family of the United Arab Emirates with him in Afghanistan, the agency's director, George Tenet, told the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks on the United States on Thursday.
Had the CIA targeted bin Laden, half the royal family would have been wiped out as well, he said.

Not knee jerk. Common sense.
post #39 of 195
Somebody clear this up for me: So the 'Ay-rabs' really are out to get us?

I'm as confused as I can be here, an Oscar/Cannes award-winning documentary plainly says that "there is no terrorist threat" -- this is all about oil, the consensus among the the KOS crowd is that either "Bush knew" about 9/11 before it happened, or did it himself, or it's about oil.

I do not understand this -- one minute its "House of Bush House of Saud", the next Al Gore is over there telling Them® how nasty we are, the very next minute the UAE is bunch throat cutters, then next is that we just need to show more deference and the ME will settle down.

This absolutely flies in the face of any kind of consistency or reason!

Is there a Klu Klux Klan 2.0 that I am missing here??

post #40 of 195
This whole thing seems silly for a variety of reasons:

1. UAE is an ally.

2. They are investing their $ in the U.S. (as I understand the deal)...in other words...they are funneling $ into the U.S.

3. Ultimately security authority lies with the U.S.

4. We ought to be figuring out ways to better integrate all nations into positive trade and economic relations.

5. This (the uproar) strikes me as naked racism.

6. If there is ever a problem...well...the ports are here...and, well, you know, possession is 9/10ths of the law.

P.S. I recall all of the furor during the 80's about the Japanese buying all sorts of major U.S. building/landmarks/etc. (once again our pseudo-patriotic, jingoistic, racist attitudes rearing their ugly heads)...at the end of the day...the Japanese poured a lot of $ into the country and, well if there was ever a problem...well...the building/landmarks/etc. are here...and, well, you know, possession is 9/10ths of the law.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Government Sells Port Authority to UAE Royal Family