or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Government Sells Port Authority to UAE Royal Family

Government Sells Port Authority to UAE Royal Family - Page 5

post #161 of 195
Port facilities operations should be open only to companies based in the US. Security is paramount, not some feel good we are the world notion of economics.
post #162 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Port facilities operations should be open only to companies based in the US. Security is paramount, not some feel good we are the world notion of economics.

What nation ran security that let the 9/11 terrorists through?
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #163 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Hillary was a large pusher for the resistance to the sale.

Disappointed to hear that. But in the end I fear it's going to come down to the "lesser of the evils" yet again.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell we'll get somebody honest and impartial, who will stick to their principles despite the party line. Maybe McCain? But some of his ideas are still too conservative for me. Oh when will Obama be considered politically developed enough to run? We need someone who can inspire the masses to stand up for what is right. Hilary ain't it.
post #164 of 195
Quote:

To say "security is paramount" is ignorant. Security ALWAYS has to be weighed against both freedom and fiscal concerns.
post #165 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
To say "security is paramount" is ignorant. Security ALWAYS has to be weighed against both freedom and fiscal concerns.

This has nothing to do with freedom, only some quaint view of world trade.
When it comes to the ports of the united states, no foreign govmnt controlled company should be allowed to be involved.
Whats ignorant is comparing the UAE to Britain, which some in favor of the deal tried to argue. But it was a British company, now its a Arab owned company, whats the difference? A BIG difference.
However, to avoid further problems there should be a ban on foreign control of our ports.
post #166 of 195
Quote:
But it was a British company, now its a Arab owned company, whats the difference? A BIG difference.

There's nothing but racism and prejudice in that staement.
post #167 of 195
Quote:
There's nothing but racism and prejudice in that staement.

And theres nothing but ignorance and a lack of common sense in yours.
post #168 of 195
Quote:
And theres nothing but ignorance and a lack of common sense in yours.

I forgot, there are no terrorist in the UK.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #169 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
I forgot, there are no terrorist in the UK.

Oh please.
Do we really need to discuss the difference between the UK and the UAE?
Do we really?
post #170 of 195
Quote:
Oh please.
Do we really?

What's the difference?

English?
post #171 of 195
Quote:
Oh please.
Do we really?

Why don't we?

How many of the 9/11 terrorists were from the UAE? How many terrorist cells have been exposed in the UAE? How many violent attacks have been instigated by UAE citizens?

Or does your statement simply imply that you believe Muslim==Terrorist?
post #172 of 195
Like I said, some people just can't recognize prejudice when it's right out there in its most blatant form. This is unfortunately a prevailing culture in the US.
post #173 of 195
Oh, please. STFU.

The right has spent the last five years scaring the crap out of American's that the terrorists are coming! The terrorists are coming! We must transform the middle-east or perish. Islamist extremists are our enemy.

And then you want to lecture us and call us racists when we balk at letting a country and royal family with ties to terrorists run our ports.

Grow the fuck up and admit that this is a direct result of your massive PR campaign to villify the ME.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #174 of 195
Quote:
Like I said, some people just can't recognize prejudice when it's right out there in its most blatant form. This is unfortunately a prevailing culture in the US.

I'm certainly not going to be lectured by wingers on intolerance and prejudice. Please.
post #175 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Oh, please. STFU.

The right has spent the last five years scaring the crap out of American's that the terrorists are coming! The terrorists are coming! We must transform the middle-east or perish. Islamist extremists are our enemy.

And then you want to lecture us and call us racists when we balk at letting a country and royal family with ties to terrorists run our ports.

Grow the fuck up and admit that this is a direct result of your massive PR campaign to villify the ME.

LOL but so true. We were sold FEAR, and the republican will protect you while removing your rights. pay no attention to the Arab behind the port. Face it this administration is lost in spin.

Oh and remember this administration never uses the term Islamic Extremists, they prefer Terrorist,Insurgents and what have you. Not something so direct.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #176 of 195
Quote:
Why don't we?

How many of the 9/11 terrorists were from the UAE? How many terrorist cells have been exposed in the UAE? How many violent attacks have been instigated by UAE citizens?

Or does your statement simply imply that you believe Muslim==Terrorist?

The UAE funneled money for terrorists through their banks.
The Royal Family was visiting Bin Laden in Afhganistan when the US was going to strike his bases, holding off only because we didn't want to kill any of the Royals. Big mistake.
The UAE had ties to the Taliban.
The UAE forbids any dealing with Jews.

Is that enough for you?
post #177 of 195
Quote:
The UAE funneled money for terrorists through their banks.
The Royal Family was visiting Bin Laden in Afhganistan when the US was going to strike his bases, holding off only because we didn't want to kill any of the Royals. Big mistake.
The UAE had ties to the Taliban.
The UAE forbids any dealing with Jews.

Is that enough for you?

Proof?
post #178 of 195
Quote:
Proof?

Do you ever pick up a newspaper?
Do you watch the news?
Do you read Time, Newsweek, USNews, etc?

If you did not know about any of the things I mentioned than you are just not informed. I suggest you research the topic a little more.
post #179 of 195
Quote:
Do you ever pick up a newspaper?
Do you watch the news?
Do you read Time, Newsweek, USNews, etc?

If you did not know about any of the things I mentioned than you are just not informed. I suggest you research the topic a little more.

I read the news everyday.

And I haven't seen any of the information you are claiming, so you are lying until you provide links to news stories that prove your claims.
post #180 of 195
Quote:
I read the news everyday.

And I haven't seen any of the information you are claiming, so you are lying until you provide links to news stories that prove your claims.

If you see the news then you would know everything steve666 said is true. Anyways Americans arent going to stand for it. Period. President Bush cant be trusted on much of anything, he is a corporate puppet representing only the corporations, not the american people.
post #181 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
If you see the news then you would know everything steve666 said is true. Anyways Americans arent going to stand for it. Period. President Bush cant be trusted on much of anything, he is a corporate puppet representing only the corporations, not the american people.

Thank you. I assume hardee is reading news from another Planet.
post #182 of 195
If its true, it should be easy enough for you to find me some evidence.

Are you attempting to create a persuasive argument or just to state your opinions?
post #183 of 195
Quote:
If its true, it should be easy enough for you to find me some evidence.

Are you attempting to create a persuasive argument or just to state your opinions?

I am stating fact. You wouldn't know reality if it sat on you.
post #184 of 195
Quote:
I am stating fact. You wouldn't know reality if it sat on you.

You are opining until you point me to legitimate articles to read... that is how I bounce...

Edit: You have spent more time responding to my posts than it should have taken you to find a SINGLE article that confirms what you claim.
post #185 of 195
Quote:
You are opining until you point me to legitimate articles to read... that is how I bounce...

Edit: You have spent more time responding to my posts than it should have taken you to find a SINGLE article that confirms what you claim.

Its not my job to educate you. I'll leave that to Special Ed.
post #186 of 195
Quote:
Its not my job to educate you. I'll leave that to Special Ed.

So you are simply opining here...

I knew it.
post #187 of 195
I read the news every day, too. And I've never heard any allegations about UAE having links to terrorism. I call your bluff.

Or do you think UAE=Saudi Arabia?
post #188 of 195
Oh, and I love how I'm being called a "winger" by Northgate here. I think you're confusing me with someone else.
post #189 of 195
tonton, you wingers will never understand...
post #190 of 195
Quote:
I read the news every day, too. And I've never heard any allegations about UAE having links to terrorism. I call your bluff.

Or do you think UAE=Saudi Arabia?

Actually if you were following the outcry from Congress, Chuck Schumer brought up the fact that the UAE was criticized after 9/11 for allowing Al-Queda funding to flow through their country.
And I'm sure you heard about the aborted bombing attempt on Bin Laden? Some members of the Royal family were actually visiting Bin Laden at the time.
post #191 of 195
Quote:
Actually if you were following the outcry from Congress, Chuck Schumer brought up the fact that the UAE was criticized after 9/11 for allowing Al-Queda funding to flow through their country.
And I'm sure you heard about the aborted bombing attempt on Bin Laden? Some members of the Royal family were actually visiting Bin Laden at the time.

So... UAE are terorrists? Or businessmen? Hmm...
post #192 of 195
Don't be so frickin' obtuse. You know what's going on here and you simply refuse to see how this is WAY too gray an area to fuck around with.

Here's a litte homework for you (oh, and it's from Fox News so you guys don't scream bias or anything lame):

Here's a little homework for the Google challenged (all of which was posted on Page 1 and 2 of this thread):

Quote:
1. The UAE was one of three countries in the world to recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

2. The UAE has been a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.

3. According to the FBI, money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through the UAE banking system.

4. After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was not cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin Laden's bank accounts.

But let's not stop there. How 'bout a few words from some actual grown ups on the matter (From everyone's favorite conservative rag, The Washington Post):

Quote:
Joseph King, who headed the customs agency's anti-terrorism efforts under the Treasury Department and the new Department of Homeland Security, said national security fears are well grounded.

He said a company the size of Dubai Ports World would be able to get hundreds of visas to relocate managers and other employees to the United States. Using appeals to Muslim solidarity or threats of violence, al-Qaeda operatives could force low-level managers to provide some of those visas to al-Qaeda sympathizers, said King, who for years tracked similar efforts by organized crime to infiltrate ports in New York and New Jersey. Those sympathizers could obtain legitimate driver's licenses, work permits and mortgages that could then be used by terrorist operatives.

Dubai Ports World could also offer a simple conduit for wire transfers to terrorist operatives in the Middle East. Large wire transfers from individuals would quickly attract federal scrutiny, but such transfers, buried in the dozens of wire transfers a day from Dubai Ports World's operations in the United States to the Middle East would go undetected, King said.

So all you naysayers who still believe that letting Dubai Ports World run our ports is just dandy after reading the above, you must have your head up your ass.
post #193 of 195
Ooh... Joseph King, who was hired by the Republican Party to fight Terrorism after 9/11 says it's so, so it must be so.
post #194 of 195
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Don't be so frickin' obtuse. You know what's going on here and you simply refuse to see how this is WAY too gray an area to fuck around with.

Here's a litte homework for you (oh, and it's from Fox News so you guys don't scream bias or anything lame):

Here's a little homework for the Google challenged (all of which was posted on Page 1 and 2 of this thread):

But let's not stop there. How 'bout a few words from some actual grown ups on the matter (From everyone's favorite conservative rag, The Washington Post):

So all you naysayers who still believe that letting Dubai Ports World run our ports is just dandy after reading the above, you must have your head up your ass.

Well we know our President has his head up his ass, heck even with this and the Coast Guard questioning this he was still going to use a weapon he has never used. The Veto! Though he knew little of what was going on buts whats new?
post #195 of 195
Quote:
Ooh... Joseph King, who was hired by the Republican Party to fight Terrorism after 9/11 says it's so, so it must be so.

dude, northgate gave you many pieces of concrete info. Why don't you admit you were wrong and move on?

The UAE has no business running anything anywhere near this country.

Congress bitchslapped Bush but good.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Government Sells Port Authority to UAE Royal Family