or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to cut Core Duo pricing ahead of 2.33GHz model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel to cut Core Duo pricing ahead of 2.33GHz model

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
Intel is expected to cut the prices on the Core Duo mobile microprocessors used in Apple Computer's latest Macintosh systems by the end of May.

According to a report in the Tuesday edition of the Chinese-language Commercial Times, the world's largest chip makers plans to reduce the costs of 65-nanometer dual-core chips by as much as 33 percent.

The price of the 2.16GHz Core Duo will reportedly drop from $632 to $423, a reduction of about 33 percent. Meanwhile, the 2.0GHz model will drop in cost from $423 to $294 (30.5 percent), and the 1.83GHz model from $294 to $241 (18 percent).

The price cuts may make way for Intel's 2.33GHz Core Duo processor, dubbed the T2700, to take over the $632 price-point. The chip is expected to debut in the third calendar quarter of the year, about a month or so following the price cuts to the existing Core Duo chips.

The 2.33GHz Core Duo is also believed to be a possible candidate to ship inside Apple's yet-to-be-announced flagship 17-inch MacBook Pro. Sources have said the high-end professional notebook will run at speeds of at least 2.16GHz Core Duo.

Depending on when Apple plans to push the 17-inch MacBook Pro to market, and Intel's availability of the T2700 at that time, the notebook may be one of the first on the market to sport the 2.33GHz chip.
post #2 of 52
price cits rock!
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #3 of 52
Heheheh now THIS is why Apple went Intel baby.


They'll milk the extra profits for a bit and then deliver a new model.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #4 of 52
I would expect the 2.33GHz Core Duo to replace the current 2.16GHz build-to-order (BTO) option as soon as it becomes available in quantity. I think Apple understands that they have to keep competitive with Dell, and therefore won't delay faster processors, at least not by much (there might be a wait of a couple of weeks at most, until they are available in quantity etc, in some cases. In other cases, they may be announced even before they're available, like with the MacBook Pro now).
post #5 of 52
When adding the 2.33 GHz CoreDuo will Apple discontinue the 1.83 GHz or continue to sell it at a discounted price therefore offering four models (1.83, 2.0, 2.16 & 2.33)? This will be interesting to see how this all works out. The absence of a 1.66 GHz makes me think they might discontinue the 1.83 GHz model.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
post #6 of 52
Will Apple lower prices or keep the processor spec's up?

That will be interesting to see...
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #7 of 52
History says Apple will upgrade the processor instead of lowering prices. Sure they could pass on $200 and ship "last years processor", but us pro's want to have the latest toys, so they won't do that. Maybe on the iBook they will.
post #8 of 52
this is also good as it makes the 1.66 ghz core duo could make its way into the Macbook
post #9 of 52
The 1.83 is now only $50 cheaper than the 2.0. I suspect the 1.83 will now only be used to create artificial differentiations in the products.

Of course, it would be nice if Apple just had a single product with a few pre-sets and pull-down menus for screen size, processor, etc.
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Heheheh now THIS is why Apple went Intel baby.


They'll milk the extra profits for a bit and then deliver a new model.

But even these chips cost more than the dual G5 chip, and far more than the 7447, even with the new pricing.

Still, this could be why Apple moved the speeds up one level.

I now hope to see the iMacs given the same treatment.

Each time this happens, Rosetta will work a little bit better.
post #11 of 52
"Third calendar quarter" means July 1 at the EARLIEST, right?

I'd be amazed if a 17" (or larger?) MacBook waited that long.
post #12 of 52
Am I being unreasonable to expect a 3gh Macbook by July?
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
"Third calendar quarter" means July 1 at the EARLIEST, right?

I'd be amazed if a 17" (or larger?) MacBook waited that long.

Yes. I agree on both points.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
Am I being unreasonable to expect a 3gh Macbook by July?

If by 3gh, you mean 3GHz, yes, you are being unreasonable. The Yonah will stop at 2.33GHz, but it's just barely possible (though doubtful) it could get to 2.5GHz.

Merom is scheduled to start with speeds up to about 2.5GHz, possibly as low as 2.33GHz, and possibly as high as 2.66GHz.

Intel's schedule is well known. Unlike IBM's. Read any of the roadmaps on some of the other sites. While the exact month these cpu's come out isn't always known until they get close, the speeds usually are offered fairly early. By 6 months before they are available, Intel releases the date. It may vary a bit from that in the beginning, due to typical production uncertainties, but they are close.

The Prescott was the first time Intel (and all the others) got screwed.
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
If by 3gh, you mean 3GHz, yes, you are being unreasonable. The Yonah will stop at 2.33GHz, but it's just barely possible (though doubtful) it could get to 2.5GHz.

Merom is scheduled to start with speeds up to about 2.5GHz, possibly as low as 2.33GHz, and possibly as high as 2.66GHz.

Intel's schedule is well known. Unlike IBM's. Read any of the roadmaps on some of the other sites. While the exact month these cpu's come out isn't always known until they get close, the speeds usually are offered fairly early. By 6 months before they are available, Intel releases the date. It may vary a bit from that in the beginning, due to typical production uncertainties, but they are close.

The Prescott was the first time Intel (and all the others) got screwed.

Only kidding. The speed bumps are nice to see however. Especially since the ppc macs really stagnated last year.
post #16 of 52
I think everybody forgets that all this "exciting" news is at least 3 months off.
Practically 4-5 months.
That actually means a rather "normal" upgrade cycle for a product like an iMac.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #17 of 52
If the reports of swapping CPUs in the iMac are true, I look forward to being able to drop a 2.5GHz or faster CPU in my iMac a year or so from now.

- Jasen.
post #18 of 52
More fuel for the "duos in ibooks" fire.

I think it's going to happen.
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
More fuel for the "duos in ibooks" fire.

I think it's going to happen.

I agree that this makes it more likely. Perhaps that's why Apple waited on the iBook.
post #20 of 52
What a difference from the Motorola days, where the clockspeed would go DOWN before you got your product!

But don't just put the 2.33GHz in the 17". The 17" is the size of an aircraft carrier.

Make it an option for the 15" too.

(And put the 2.0GHz in the 12"/13", which is the only one I'll buy.)
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
More fuel for the "duos in ibooks" fire.

I think it's going to happen.

I hope so too.

I won't buy any machine that isn't a dual and I'd like a new laptop to replace my uber-long-in-the-tooth rev a Ti PowerBook. I'd like some good power if I'm paying MacBook Pro prices, but if I go the iBook route I'd be willing to settle for a less powerful machine.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
I won't buy any machine that isn't a dual and I'd like a new laptop to replace my uber-long-in-the-tooth rev a Ti PowerBook.

Trade you that PB for my 600MHz iBook G3.
post #23 of 52
this is going to lead the way for ibook ( macbook! ) core duo
mac mini core!! thatts for sure!
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
Reply
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
Reply
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
Trade you that PB for my 600MHz iBook G3.

Trade you your 600 G3 for my 266 Wallstreet G3.
Especially once my freshly ordered MBP arrives.
Think I'll notice a speed improvement?

re: CPU/model matrix, based on the pre-release speed bump, my guess is Apple will keep two speed options, and just slot in the new Intel chips at the standard price points as they become available.

My question is how will Apple handle inventory across the bumps? ie: Wait til the channels are mostly empty to announce the bumps, risking trailing Dell et alia? Or annouce as soon as available, and clear old product via discount pricing?

My guess is the latter, which could make for some good buys for those who don't hunger for first-tier speeds.
apple gets "it."
Reply
apple gets "it."
Reply
post #25 of 52
third calendar month (march) or third calendar quarter (July)???

3Q are we not expecting Merom then the price cut shd apply to entire Yonah rite?

bit confused ... and too long wait ... 2.33 Ghz means MacBook /MacMini will see atleast 1.67 Ghz Duo and it is a good sign

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #26 of 52
Expect shorter timeframes between updates in all lines with Intel onboard. Apple won't be waiting 12 months or 9 months between tiny incremental updates. They now can update more often with Intel. Not to mention this will allow for more "products" with new markets.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
third calendar month (march) or third calendar quarter (July)???

3Q are we not expecting Merom then the price cut shd apply to entire Yonah rite?

bit confused ... and too long wait ... 2.33 Ghz means MacBook /MacMini will see atleast 1.67 Ghz Duo and it is a good sign

Merom might be delayed until early 4th quarter.
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by mdriftmeyer
Expect shorter timeframes between updates in all lines with Intel onboard. Apple won't be waiting 12 months or 9 months between tiny incremental updates. They now can update more often with Intel. Not to mention this will allow for more "products" with new markets.

I agree more often, but I think they will still be somewhat careful with updates because it creates issues with retailers and whatnot who have old stock.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by mdriftmeyer
Expect shorter timeframes between updates in all lines with Intel onboard. Apple won't be waiting 12 months or 9 months between tiny incremental updates. They now can update more often with Intel. Not to mention this will allow for more "products" with new markets.

I don't expect this at all. Apple never has (and its not because they couldn't). They just don't want to confuse the issue (plus, even more people would hold off buying if they had to worry about a new update every 6 weeks).

Dell changes specs regularly, including price. I don't see Apple coming close to this.
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
I don't expect this at all. Apple never has (and its not because they couldn't). They just don't want to confuse the issue (plus, even more people would hold off buying if they had to worry about a new update every 6 weeks).

Dell changes specs regularly, including price. I don't see Apple coming close to this.

Do you remember the days when the cpu's WERE upgraded regularly?

There was a "speed bump" every early April and late September, with more serious upgrades in January and July.

That ended when when I bought my daughter's new 450 G4. We were lucky enough to have ordered it before Apple announced the 50MHz rollback.

We never saw regular speed bumps again.

Maybe we will now. The MacBook Pro is a good sign.

EDIT; Meant to add this but hit the send button.

Hopefully, not every 6 weeks or so.
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Will Apple lower prices or keep the processor spec's up?

That will be interesting to see...

They'll keep processor specs up. Keep in mind price cuts only matter if you are ordering new processors. Apple would have ordered an initial supply to carry it through the quarter knowing full well Intel generally releases price cuts just prior to a faster processor.

Better question is will they do a quiet upgrade and just start shipping faster ones as they become available or will they upgrade their site immediately and "announce" the release?
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
They'll keep processor specs up. Keep in mind price cuts only matter if you are ordering new processors. Apple would have ordered an initial supply to carry it through the quarter knowing full well Intel generally releases price cuts just prior to a faster processor.

Better question is will they do a quiet upgrade and just start shipping faster ones as they become available or will they upgrade their site immediately and "announce" the release?

That's a good question after what happened with the Mini.
post #33 of 52
I foresee a 'revision' in may.
post #34 of 52
Umm... gotta be the wet blanket here but what are the real-world speed differences between the 1.67, 1.83, 2.0, 2.15 etc etc ?? (sorry, can't remember the exact numbers)

I know it's a different architecture but those differences in clock speeds are pretty small so at this stage it seems like more a marketing thing
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Umm... gotta be the wet blanket here but what are the real-world speed differences between the 1.67, 1.83, 2.0, 2.15 etc etc ?? (sorry, can't remember the exact numbers)

The differences are pretty close to the percentage difference in clock speed. Even a 1.83 is almost 10% faster than the 1.67. The 2.33 is almost 40% faster.

If you're just running a word processor, you won't notice the difference. If you're doing renders, that time adds up fast, even the small differences. Wouldn't you like to spend even 5% less working every day?
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
If you're just running a word processor, you won't notice the difference. If you're doing renders, that time adds up fast, even the small differences. Wouldn't you like to spend even 5% less working every day?

Wouldn't waiting for your computer to finish rendering mean you work less?
post #37 of 52
I expect we may see product refreshes every 3-4 months with the Intel switch. Those Mac nerds who feel cheated and betrayed unless they have the latest and greatest Mac for no less than nine months are going to have to adjust to Apple being competitive. On the plus side, this will also mean that Apple's products should never fall into a poor price/performance lull like they so often have the past few years. If anything, more frequent updates should make people more comfortable buying a Mac product immediately, because when the revision does come it's not going to be twelve months worth of backlogged technology dumped into one major annual refresh.
post #38 of 52
If Apple moves to Duo in all lines the arrival of a faster chip should not cause them too much of a problem. They will just drop each chip down one line and silently upgrade the Mac mini until stocks run out. It is odd, though, to see information on speed increases the same week the first MacBook Pro is shipped. that's something that we'll have to get used to, but it is far better than waiting for Moto or IBM to deliver.
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus
It is odd, though, to see information on speed increases the same week the first MacBook Pro is shipped. that's something that we'll have to get used to.

And something Apple needs to get used to. Gone are the days when Apple could influence IBM/moto to keep a lid on their imminent products.

I agree with Cory that, once we get used to more frequent updates, they will likely make us more comfortable with making purchases. ie: Buying on a slowly rising curve, instead of a step function with long horizontal lulls.
apple gets "it."
Reply
apple gets "it."
Reply
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by imiloa
And something Apple needs to get used to. Gone are the days when Apple could influence IBM/moto to keep a lid on their imminent products.

I agree with Cory that, once we get used to more frequent updates, they will likely make us more comfortable with making purchases. ie: Buying on a slowly rising curve, instead of a step function with long horizontal lulls.

I agree with you both. It also portends some good buys as they have to unload some slightly outdated machines. It's a different world with Intel boys. Strap in for a wild ride. 8)
go with the flow
Reply
go with the flow
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to cut Core Duo pricing ahead of 2.33GHz model