or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: iTunes 1B songs sold; iPods sales via iTMS; Mac mini
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: iTunes 1B songs sold; iPods sales via iTMS; Mac mini

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
iTunes: 1 billion served

Apple's iTunes Music Store today surpassed the 1 billion songs mark, a major milestone for sales of digital music tracks on the Internet.

The iTunes Music Store sold its billionth song at just after 12:30 a.m., according to MacNN -- less than three years since Apple first introduced the store in April of 2003.

Earlier this month, the company launched a billion song promo, promising the lucky buyer of the 1 billionth song a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods, a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card as well as a full scholarship to a world-renowned music school.

Although Apple has not yet posted winner details, it celebrated with a note on its Web site: "To every iTunes Music Store customer, thanks a billion. 1 billion songs have been downloaded from the iTunes Music Store."

Apple selling iPods via iTunes Music Store

Meanwhile, a couple of tipsters have pointed out that Apple is using its ubiquitous iTunes Music Store to leverage sales of iPod digital music players.

It's now possible to purchase any one of the company's iPod models from within the iTunes application.

"Don't have an iPod? Get one here," reads a graphic on the main iTunes storefront. Instead of referring customers to Apple's online store, it allows them to complete iPod purchases without a Web browser or ever leaving the iTunes application.

Production of PowerPC Mac mini halted?

Something is definitely up with the Mac mini. Both sources and bloggers have noted that Apple is no longer accepting large orders of the current PowerPC-based Mac mini. The company is still offering individual sales, however. This would suggest that it has halted production of the model in favor of new models.

Sources recently said a new Intel-based Mac mini was very close to hitting the manufacturing lines and that Apple may be preparing to announce the machines soon.
post #2 of 28
Congratulations, Alex Ostrovsky, winner of the billionth downloaded song (Speed of Sound, by Coldplay)!

Now... about that mini... 8)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Now... about that mini... 8)

No kidding! That is great news. Maybe they will get the transition over with sooner rather than later so Adobe can get on with it already.

I hope it has a duo in it and not a single processor.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #4 of 28
So what are the stocks reaction to new products? Do they normally go up, down, simmer steady?
post #5 of 28
i hope i'm not alone in thinking how funny that "the speed of sound" was the billionth song downloaded.

a billion songs and a double entendre all in one!
post #6 of 28
Fingers crossed that the new Mac mini is the media center device. If Apple comes through with such a device and has a subscription plan with all the major content distributors, I may kick Comcast to the curb.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
iTunes: 1 billion served

Apple's iTunes Music Store today surpassed the 1 billion songs mark, a major milestone for sales of digital music tracks on the Internet.

The iTunes Music Store sold its billionth song at just after 12:30 a.m., according to MacNN -- less than three years since Apple first introduced the store in April of 2003.

Earlier this month, the company launched a billion song promo, promising the lucky buyer of the 1 billionth song a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods, a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card as well as a full scholarship to a world-renowned music school.

Although Apple has not yet posted winner details, it celebrated with a note on its Web site: "To every iTunes Music Store customer, thanks a billion. 1 billion songs have been downloaded from the iTunes Music Store."

Apple selling iPods via iTunes Music Store

Meanwhile, a couple of tipsters have pointed out that Apple is using its ubiquitous iTunes Music Store to leverage sales of iPod digital music players.

It's now possible to purchase any one of the company's iPod models from within the iTunes application.

"Don't have an iPod? Get one here," reads a graphic on the main iTunes storefront. Instead of referring customers to Apple's online store, it allows them to complete iPod purchases without a Web browser or ever leaving the iTunes application.

Production of PowerPC Mac mini halted?

Something is definitely up with the Mac mini. Both sources and bloggers have noted that Apple is no longer accepting large orders of the current PowerPC-based Mac mini. The company is still offering individual sales, however. This would suggest that it has halted production of the model in favor of new models.

Sources recently said a new Intel-based Mac mini was very close to hitting the manufacturing lines and that Apple may be preparing to announce the machines soon.

...It began with MWSF 2006 and every 60 days (more or less) Apple is gonna make this kind of events, April's fool, then in May.. September is the other conference & between october & november the INTEL convertion will be over...

2006 is the year of APPLE !!!
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
Apple selling iPods via iTunes Music Store

Meanwhile, a couple of tipsters have pointed out that Apple is using its ubiquitous iTunes Music Store to leverage sales of iPod digital music players.

It's now possible to purchase any one of the company's iPod models from within the iTunes application.

"Don't have an iPod? Get one here," reads a graphic on the main iTunes storefront. Instead of referring customers to Apple's online store, it allows them to complete iPod purchases without a Web browser or ever leaving the iTunes application.

They've been doing this for quite a while, at least since Christmas.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by eatrains
They've been doing this for quite a while, at least since Christmas.

I'm sure they've been advertising iPods for quite some time, with a banner ad prominently on the home page. I'm a bit lost on this one, but it seems to be saying that you can now buy an iPod using the iTunes account, within iTunes. Before, I think it was that the banner simply linked to the Apple Store site, I remember in the past that it spawned a web page. I think maybe the Harry Potter SE might have been the first where you could buy within the iTunes app.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I'm sure they've been advertising iPods for quite some time, with a banner ad prominently on the home page. I'm a bit lost on this one, but it seems to be saying that you can now buy an iPod using the iTunes account, within iTunes. Before, I think it was that the banner simply linked to the Apple Store site, I remember in the past that it spawned a web page. I think maybe the Harry Potter SE might have been the first where you could buy within the iTunes app.

Appears to only be on the US ITMS. Not here is Canada...but what else is new.....
30GB 5G White, 1GB Shuffle
Reply
30GB 5G White, 1GB Shuffle
Reply
post #11 of 28
Regarding the MacMini...
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
I hope it has a duo in it and not a single processor.

Nah... if it's the PVR, I hope it has the cheapest processor possible (Intel or not), and the BEST graphics card for the MPEG4/MPEG2 playback. I don't need to use a PVR as a computer... just for TV and music.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Earlier this month, the company launched a billion song promo, promising the lucky buyer of the 1 billionth song a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods, a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card as well as a full scholarship to a world-renowned music school.

no, the winner gets the scholarship named AFTER them
post #13 of 28
My guess for the 28th party is that Apple will release a photoshop competitor to go with aperature. My reasoning: 1) adobe's failure to release photoshop in intel naive code anytime this year.(what a roadblock to the intel transition for professional photographers) 2) Photography's big trade show will be going on at the same time.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by boatracer
Appears to only be on the US ITMS. Not here is Canada...but what else is new.....

I think it's because the coin-slot in iTunes won't accept a Loonie or a Toonie.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by mactoys
2) Photography's big trade show will be going on at the same time.

Which photography trade show would that be? I tried to find one, but I didn't see any big ones for late Feb 2006.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
Which photography trade show would that be? I tried to find one, but I didn't see any big ones for late Feb 2006.

Photo Marketing Association International's PMA 2006 convention, which begins Sunday in Orlando, Fla.

Nikon and Canon have already pre annouced some new cameras. I am new to photography but I was told this is the convention were all the companies show the new cameras for the year.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by mactoys
My guess for the 28th party is that Apple will release a photoshop competitor to go with aperature. My reasoning: 1) adobe's failure to release photoshop in intel naive code anytime this year.(what a roadblock to the intel transition for professional photographers) 2) Photography's big trade show will be going on at the same time.

You have much to learn Grasshopper.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by mactoys
My guess for the 28th party is that Apple will release a photoshop competitor to go with aperature. My reasoning: 1) adobe's failure to release photoshop in intel naive code anytime this year.(what a roadblock to the intel transition for professional photographers) 2) Photography's big trade show will be going on at the same time.

Do you understant what a HEDGE is in the business world? it is something that you keep ready, but SECRET untill it is needed, so as not o piss off partners and major 3rd party platform devs.

They will ONLY release this if Adobe either doesnt do CS3 for Mac-intel, or SEVERLY handicaps it. Otherwise it will remain "top secret"
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #19 of 28
WOOOOOOT!! Core Solo Mac Mini ..... YEAHH.... and Core Duo Mac Mini for all you PVR/DVR obsessed fools.....
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Congratulations, Alex Ostrovsky, winner of the billionth downloaded song (Speed of Sound, by Coldplay)!

Well it's nice to see an underground band like Coldplay benefit from all this publicity

I'm sure it wasn't really the billionth song sold though but simply an estimate, kind of like Mikcey D's saying 55 billion served. Nobody can count that many beans perfectly.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Do you understant what a HEDGE is in the business world? it is something that you keep ready, but SECRET untill it is needed, so as not o piss off partners and major 3rd party platform devs.

They will ONLY release this if Adobe either doesnt do CS3 for Mac-intel, or SEVERLY handicaps it. Otherwise it will remain "top secret"

My point is that it is time to play the Hedge. Apple has had no problem pissing off adobe in the past... Final Cut Pro...Aperture. What is Apple worried about? That adobe wont release PFDs for intel? Photoshop is adobe's last high card in their hand.

My guess is self centered. I want a Macbookpro but I am not going to buy one anytime soon. Why? because the main app I will use the new horsepower for is Photoshop. And Photoshop CS2 is a dog on an intel mac (runs twice as fast on a G5). So six months from now Apple have all their supply problem with the intel chips fix. G5 tower will be replace by the chips coming out in Sept. Will demand be there? Adobe is still six months away from CS3. I maybe alone in this but Photoshop is the major roadblock in buying a new Mac.
post #22 of 28
If Apple released their Photoshop "killer" now it would do one of two things:

1) Cause Adobe to stand up, take notice, and rush their new version of Photoshop out of the door or...

2) Piss Adobe off so that they don't develop another version of Photoshop for Mac EVER again.

I think the latter would be more likely.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
If Apple released their Photoshop "killer" now it would do one of two things:

1) Cause Adobe to stand up, take notice, and rush their new version of Photoshop out of the door or...

2) Piss Adobe off so that they don't develop another version of Photoshop for Mac EVER again.

I think the latter would be more likely.

Cosmo I disagree. Adobe still makes TON of $ selling products for the Mac.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Jleon
Well it's nice to see an underground band like Coldplay benefit from all this publicity

I'm sure it wasn't really the billionth song sold though but simply an estimate, kind of like Mikcey D's saying 55 billion served. Nobody can count that many beans perfectly.

Coldplay has been pretty well-known for a while, if they were underground, that would have been in 2004, I've seen mass media attention for them in several places. Also, Coldplay tickets were one of the bonuses offered for the 500M contest:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/500million/

That was only six months ago, Apple doubled their track sales in six months when it took them two or so years to get to 500M
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by icibaqu
i hope i'm not alone in thinking how funny that "the speed of sound" was the billionth song downloaded.

a billion songs and a double entendre all in one!

Hey, come on, help a guy who lives up to his name. What's this double entendre thing with regards to "speed of sound"?
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
Coldplay has been pretty well-known for a while, if they were underground, that would have been in 2004, I've seen mass media attention for them in several places. Also, Coldplay tickets were one of the bonuses offered for the 500M contest:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/500million/

That was only six months ago, Apple doubled their track sales in six months when it took them two or so years to get to 500M

--I was being completely sarcastic, they're about as mainstream and whitebread as you can get.

I'm also not questioning whether or not they have sold a billion, just whether or not that really was exactly the billionth one.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Jleon
--I was being completely sarcastic, they're about as mainstream and whitebread as you can get.

I'm also not questioning whether or not they have sold a billion, just whether or not that really was exactly the billionth one.

Yeah, I wonder too. I was buying some great new music, from the likes of Grand Funk Railroad, Perry Como, The jazztets, and the like. You never see them on those "and the millionth song purchased was..." items. Its always some new or popular song. Seems a little shady to me.
post #28 of 28
"You know how I know you're gay? Because you listen to Coldplay."

-- from 40 Year Old Virgin
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: iTunes 1B songs sold; iPods sales via iTMS; Mac mini