or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Idea about "iPod boombox"

Idea about "iPod boombox"

post #1 of 16
I was thinking about the concept of this and I just find it somewhat implausible. I don't think Apple would go ahead and put out such a niche product. I mean, I can hook up my iPod via RCA cables to my Antique Sound Labs tube amp and into my Bang and Oluffson speakers and get way better sound quality. Now, most people aren't audiophiles like me, but a lot already have a half decent mini system or shelf system with RCA audio inputs.

As I thought about this longer, I remembered back to the Apple.ca mess-up in which they mentioned a product called the "megaphone" on their Mac mini page. What if this is what the iPod boombox is? Instead of just a standalone iPod dock to speakers, it also has USB 2.0 as well has an optical/analog audio line in to be used as computer speakers as well as a syncing dock? If you wanted to take it somewhere, just unplug a few cables and you're off.

I don't know. Just as an idea as I think that a set of Apple branded standalone speakers for the iPod is not a great product.
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
post #2 of 16
How about, instead of just a speaker system that hooks up to your iPod, an actual iPod that you leave on your shelf rather than carry around. It could sync with your mac via built-in zeroconf wifi, and have a much larger display.

Kind of a luggable iPod. That would explain the "boombox" name anyway. I remember seeing something similar from another company reviewed a few months ago.
post #3 of 16
Anybody remember the old baseball speakers that came with the G4 iMac? Oh, that was fun. My parents still have a set of 'em. Good luck connecting them to ANYTHING else but an iMac G4.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanh
I was thinking about the concept of this and I just find it somewhat implausible. I don't think Apple would go ahead and put out such a niche product. I mean, I can hook up my iPod via RCA cables to my Antique Sound Labs tube amp and into my Bang and Oluffson speakers and get way better sound quality. Now, most people aren't audiophiles like me, but a lot already have a half decent mini system or shelf system with RCA audio inputs.

I don't know. Just as an idea as I think that a set of Apple branded standalone speakers for the iPod is not a great product.

I think it will be more like a Apple engineered SqueezeBox .
A mini-iTunes client station with incredible good DACs ( BurrBrown) which relies on a Mac for hosting the songs.

- Very High quality.
- 96 KHz upsampling. 24 bit DACs.
- Color display for displaying songs ( FrontRow look)
- Remote.
- Front knobs for volume , Bass, treble ( like the old days)
- Pre Amp out.
- Speaker connectors for the 40 W per channel amplifier brick (connected separately )made by Cyrus

Just connect your favourite speakers et voila !

I would buy 3 in a instant !

PS; Kinda like this with a amplifier brick attached.

post #5 of 16
That would be kinda neat. If it could double as an iphoto picture frame.

Hold much more than your ipod in terms of data and play some vids. from imovie, etc.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
That would be kinda neat. If it could double as an iphoto picture frame.

Hold much more than your ipod in terms of data and play some vids. from imovie, etc.

Precisely ! The 10 pound iPod Steve spoke about in his blog !
post #7 of 16
Hmm... That's actually not a bad idea.

I think it would require something more though, to lure buyers. I would say WiFi and wired LAN for putting it on your network. But, again, why not lose the screen and just do the box? People [read: most] have a TV or a monitor to use; cut out the monitor to save costs. Call it the homePod or some dumb ass name.

And wouldn't that be hilarious if Steve came out and said, "I totally told you we were coming out with this in my Podcast!"
post #8 of 16
I would buy the iPod boombox with these features:

Wireless - connectes to your Mac via airtunes

Speakers - built in / detachable but decent quality

Display - LED readable from across the room

Remote Control

Just take it anywhere in you house and your music goes with you.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by philbot

Speakers - built in / detachable but decent quality

Wouldnt really be a boombox without speakers would it?

What thrills me about the rumor is the design.. Imagine a boombox in iPod white. Magnificent!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
Wouldnt really be a boombox without speakers would it?

And with a BYOiPod it would hardly be more than just a box.

Introducing the new Apple Box. Its a hoot.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by European guy
Precisely ! The 10 pound iPod Steve spoke about in his blog !

Wouldn't that be a hoot!! If Steve actually gave out a Super Secret Apple Rumor!!

Brilliant!!
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders

Introducing the new Apple Box. Its a hoot.

Yeah, but where's the BOOM ?
post #13 of 16
If you got no speakers you got no BOOM
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanh

As I thought about this longer, I remembered back to the Apple.ca mess-up in which they mentioned a product called the "megaphone" on their Mac mini page.

Before anyone spends time researching this - it wasn't a mess-up. It was a joke along the same lines as the "Do Not Eat iPod shuffle" foot note and still appears on some localised Apple sites (http://www.apple.com.sg/macmini/).

Quote:
Bring Your Own Display, Keyboard, and Mouse. Keyboard, mouse, megaphone and display sold separately.

"megaphone" refers to the picture used for "Tell a Friend".

J
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Before anyone spends time researching this - it wasn't a mess-up. It was a joke along the same lines as the "Do Not Eat iPod shuffle" foot note and still appears on some localised Apple sites (http://www.apple.com.sg/macmini/).

"megaphone" refers to the picture used for "Tell a Friend".

J

Who cares ?
The only time I spend uselessly is posting on AppleInsider.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Anybody remember the old baseball speakers that came with the G4 iMac? Oh, that was fun. My parents still have a set of 'em. Good luck connecting them to ANYTHING else but an iMac G4.

They do work with PowerMac G4s too. Also, they used to sell the iFire (http://www.atpm.com/10.02/images/ifire-ibook.gif).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Idea about "iPod boombox"