or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Vista Experience: ha ha ha ha ha

Vista Experience: ha ha ha ha ha

post #1 of 170
Check out this link to the microsoft site on Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx

At least for me, it displays horribly, nothing shows up right. Good sign to the public about what this new Windows OS has in store for them!

post #2 of 170
Wow. I feel better about Vista already.

Works better in firefox. Safari chokes.
Huge screencap
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #3 of 170

What the figgity fuck?

--B

post #4 of 170
I also have the problem with the site. Nothing shows up right the links are all whited out, and I can't believe that microsoft can get away with that media player logo.
post #5 of 170
I can hear my Windows friends talking about all the fun new things in Vista, I can say well Mac OS X UI has been doing that for ages, oh and we've had widgets for 18 months (well by the time Vista comes out). User Access Controls? Oh UNIX and Linux have had those for ages. Still, they won't care, they never do, and they think MS created it all.
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they've got me posting at a bulletin board
post #6 of 170
when is it supposed to come out? I went to that page looking for a date, but can't find one. Are they taking tips from google and leaving it in beta stage forever?
post #7 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by wgauvin
I can hear my Windows friends talking about all the fun new things in Vista, I can say well Mac OS X UI has been doing that for ages, oh and we've had widgets for 18 months (well by the time Vista comes out). User Access Controls? Oh UNIX and Linux have had those for ages. Still, they won't care, they never do, and they think MS created it all.

so true
post #8 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
when is it supposed to come out? I went to that page looking for a date, but can't find one. Are they taking tips from google and leaving it in beta stage forever?

It should be released on December 5th, but it's way to early to be sure, they could release it earlier and surprise people or something unexpected can happen and it could be released at a later date.

btw that media logo is such an obvious rip-off that I wonder if anyone at Micro$h!t can actually create something more original.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
post #9 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Apple
It should be released on December 5th, but it's way to early to be sure they could release it earlier and surprise people or something unexpected happens and they release it at a later date.

btw that media logo is such an obvious rip-off that I wonder if anyone at Micro$h!t can actually create something more original.

December 5th?! I thought it was in 2006! that's practically in 07!

When's leopard due out? The fall?
post #10 of 170
I think Safari's having a hard time because M$ coded the page a certain way...on purpose.
We could all send them hate mail...

What blatant rip-offs. Steve darling, time to lay the fuckin' smack down. Give us Leopard!
Resident Furry, Animation student, and Steve Jobs fan.
post #11 of 170
Steve my man, if you don't smack MS for ripping off that logo, you will find next year that MS is going to try to smack you like SCO is trying with IBM.
post #12 of 170
it will be lovely to see how mac users will be explaining windows users about their vista ga/widgets. Just imagine how it would be to tell someone that their brand new OS is something you've been working with for like a year already..........painful but so sweet
Mike
Mike
post #13 of 170
I hear you, Mike.

Quote:
Steve my man, if you don't smack MS for ripping off that logo, you will find next year that MS is going to try to smack you like SCO is trying with IBM.

And please, Steve, smack them HARD.
post #14 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeVonkPro
it will be lovely to see how mac users will be explaining windows users about their vista ga/widgets. Just imagine how it would be to tell someone that their brand new OS is something you've been working with for like a year already..........painful but so sweet

But the thing is, why will Windows users care? You've both got widgets now, what's to prove? "We had them first, therefore you should buy a Mac?"
post #15 of 170
Does anyone know if Vista is more than a facelift?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #16 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Does anyone know if Vista is more than a facelift?

Yeah, there's the new metadata filesystem, there's hard drive encryption, a new 3D rendering API, and an entirely new way of browsing files.
post #17 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
But the thing is, why will Windows users care? You've both got widgets now, what's to prove? "We had them first, therefore you should buy a Mac?"

exactly, most of the time they dont, i mean HELLO they are window users haha.
post #18 of 170
Quote:
Yeah, there's the new metadata filesystem, there's hard drive encryption, a new 3D rendering API, and an entirely new way of browsing files.

Any leapfrogging of things like .net and C# -- or anything that runs any deeper? It seemed like 'Longhorn' was leaning towards a re-write, but all that went away by degrees.

For example -- basically CS2 would still run, and CS3 wouldn't really need anything done to it to run on Vista -- if you want to use the new feature you can call it, but you don't have too. (?)

post #19 of 170
What do .NET and C# have to do with Vista as an operating system?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #20 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
What do .NET and C# have to do with Vista as an operating system?

I don't know, I'm just poking around for something -- I'd assume if they went and changed the architecture significantly, they'd make writing in Visual Basic different, GUI calls, database calls, that sort of thing.

I'm trying to figure out what the reality is with Vista. When no one was talking about Adobe getting a universal binary of CS out the door, I knew that was a pretty good sign we weren't even close. Now Vista is coming out and all I'm hearing is "New UI" and "spiffed up 3D graphics" -- so I don't think this is anywhere near as significant as XP (which I love in a Windows sort of way).

I think the Vista upgrade is probably analogous to the jump between OS X 10.3 --> 10.4.

post #21 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I think the Vista upgrade is probably analogous to the jump between OS X 10.3 --> 10.4.

I think that's about right. Vista is just new features thrown onto a horrible mess of a system. Like icing on a cow pie. It may look nicer, but it's still... a cow pie.

I had heard that Vista could be a simple downloadable upgrade for XP.

Microsoft is unwilling to do a jump like OS9 to OSX, even though that is exactly what they need to do, because they would lose too many customers. They'll stick with the same buggy software until their doom.
post #22 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir
exactly, most of the time they dont, i mean HELLO they are window users haha.

What's to care about other than bragging rights that don't even matter, with Konfabulator being the actual inventor?
post #23 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Any leapfrogging of things like .net and C# -- or anything that runs any deeper? It seemed like 'Longhorn' was leaning towards a re-write, but all that went away by degrees.

For example -- basically CS2 would still run, and CS3 wouldn't really need anything done to it to run on Vista -- if you want to use the new feature you can call it, but you don't have too. (?)

I thought I remembered hearing something about there needing to be some kind of relatively lightweight emulation to run XP programs, could be wrong.

WinFS is also new. If that indeed is being shipped with Vista.
post #24 of 170
Quote:
Microsoft is unwilling to do a jump like OS9 to OSX, even though that is exactly what they need to do, because they would lose too many customers. They'll stick with the same buggy software until their doom.

Biggest piece of crap I've heard in a long time! Mac OS 9 was more like Windows 95/98/Me relative to Mac OS X and Windows 2K/XP/2K3 respectively. In fact in some ways Mac OS 9 was more like Windows 3.x (e.g. in its use of cooperative multitasking). Do your homework before spouting out FUD in reverse.
post #25 of 170
You know what's funny though? People expecting Microsoft to rewrite Windows, while claiming Apple did the same with OS X.

Apple didn't do the same; Apple borrowed a lot of code from other projects, *BSDs mostly, it used a lot of code from NeXT and is currently using a lot of code from the GNU crowd (SMB, GCC, KHTML, KJS).

OS X is a big mix of code others have created, code NeXT brought, and code Apple has created (Aqua, AppleScript, etc). To suggest that Apple 'rewrote' OS9 and created OSX and that Microsoft should do the same is... forget it.
post #26 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by cygsid
Biggest piece of crap I've heard in a long time! Mac OS 9 was more like Windows 95/98/Me relative to Mac OS X and Windows 2K/XP/2K3 respectively. In fact in some ways Mac OS 9 was more like Windows 3.x (e.g. in its use of cooperative multitasking). Do your homework before spouting out FUD in reverse.

Do your research, Windows has been based in DOS for years upon years. OS9 to OSX is a switch to Unix. I'm not talking features vs features.

And I didn't say that Apple wrote OSX, Unix has been in development since the 70s. To say that Apple wrote it WOULD be wrong. My point is that Apple knows how to move on, as evidenced again by this switch to Intel. Microsoft is stuck in the past because of fear of losing their customer base.
post #27 of 170
Well, when your customer base is 90% of all the people using computers, it's kinda hard to just move on.
post #28 of 170
Quote:
Well, when your customer base is 90% of all the people using computers, it's kinda hard to just move on.

not my problem
post #29 of 170
Oh, leave the Windows users alone. They don't want such radical changes; they like being in a rut...it's what they're used to.

Something funny happened to me today. A Windows user that I talk to sometimes came by me as I was using my iBook with 10.4.5. I minimized and maximized a page and he blurts, "Do that again!" He had to see my lovely user interface once again.
post #30 of 170
Quote:
What's to care about other than bragging rights that don't even matter, with Konfabulator being the actual inventor?

Or Apple in the early mac days?

Or the fact that the whole damn thing isnt new, it is just copying a real life metephore, I have papers on my desk, I need a phone book or calculator, I take it from the drawr, use it, and put it back.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #31 of 170
I have a windows friend who uses an Expose type application on his Dell. I saw it, it's very much like the Mac one, except its shareware that you have to pay for. It also has the flip3d thing that's supposed to be in Vista. I don't think you can drag and drop to the expose windows though, or tab through them either.

BTW - He is fully aware its a copy of Apple's expose.

Then I have another windows friend, my brother :'( He uses the Yahoo widgets, and there's some widgets that Yahoo has that nobody has created for the mac. I felt my ability to brag highly weakened.
post #32 of 170
Thats awful that a company of Microshafts size can't ensure their website is multi-browser compatible. I look at Apple's website all the time in IE (at uni) and it loads perfectly without any errors or misplaced objects.

Oh, and that Media Center / iTunes image is sheer plagiarism!

I don't even argue / discuss why I switched to Mac with friends or family now, once you step out of Microshafts 'software suite' you finally see the light! , I dont think any Windows user will ever understand us Mac Users until they buy one for themselves.
post #33 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by smclintock
I don't even argue / discuss why I switched to Mac with friends or family now, once you step out of Microshafts 'software suite' you finally see the light! , I dont think any Windows user will ever understand us Mac Users until they buy one for themselves.

Some would call that Fanboyism. Me, I take the label on with pride
post #34 of 170
Quote:
OS X is a big mix of code others have created, code NeXT brought, and code Apple has created (Aqua, AppleScript, etc). To suggest that Apple 'rewrote' OS9 and created OSX and that Microsoft should do the same is... forget it.

Apple also created the Carbon API set, which, together with the creation of aqua, was a re-write of OS 9. They also created the Quartz API, and had to re-write most of the QuickTime API.

OS X was a massive amount of work and I for one continue to be impressed by the software engineering that it represents.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #35 of 170
This has got to be The Official Fanboy Thread, no question about it.
post #36 of 170
Quote:
Then I have another windows friend, my brother :'( He uses the Yahoo widgets, and there's some widgets that Yahoo has that nobody has created for the mac. I felt my ability to brag highly weakened.

Like a Bluescreen Counter widget. (Get ready for Vista, featuring Red Screens too!)

But seriously, what Yahoo widgets are you envious of?
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #37 of 170
Quote:
Do your research, Windows has been based in DOS for years upon years. OS9 to OSX is a switch to Unix. I'm not talking features vs features.

Are you implying Windows is based on DOS? Win2k is 6 years old. NT4 is 10 years old. OSX is just recently becoming a full-featured OS.

Longhorn isn't entirely a GUI upgrade. Extremetech wrote a decent article a while back. It will include a faster, rewritten network and audio stack. Several new APIs, prioritized disk IO, shadow volumes, cablecard support, userspace drivers, upgrades on it's bundled apps, and some other stuff.
post #38 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by bergz

--B

1) blatant
2) tacky
3) low class

all you M$ fanboys gotta feel real special
go with the flow
go with the flow
post #39 of 170
Check out the speech synth pendant!

Rip off!!!!!

Ok they have changed the proportions but they have the mic icon in its own window and volume bars. So un-original.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...ne/speech.mspx
post #40 of 170
Despite all the transparency tricks, borrowed but still handy tools and the security updates, Windows Vista will still lack style and purpose.

No matter how many types of tea the OS once will be able to serve you - deep inside, it will always carry the the soul of Marvin, the Paradroid Android ("Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.").
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Vista Experience: ha ha ha ha ha