or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New special edition iPod, other accessories may arrive soon

New special edition iPod, other accessories may arrive soon

post #1 of 54
Apple Computer may soon unveil a new special edition iPod and some other iPod- and music-related accessories, AppleInsider has gathered.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based iPod maker is rumored to have completed arrangements with third parties to debut a special or limited edition iPod, which is reportedly similar to the black and red U2-branded model that made its debut in Oct. of 2004.

The iPod, believed by some to be one and the same with the recently-rumored red-colored AIDS awareness iPod, may be tacked on to Apple's announcements this Tuesday, sources have said.

Additionally, the company is also believed to be tying together marketing materials for a few other small iPod accessories of unknown nature, which would presumably arrive alongside an announcement of the new iPod model and an update to its iTunes digital jukebox software.

Apple on Tuesday will hold a special media event on its campus to announce some "fun new products," the company teased in a digital invited distributed to select analysts and members of the media last week.

Some key new products expected to debut at the event include Apple's first Intel-based Mac mini desktop computers and a new iPod Boombox audio system that will provide plug-and-plug audio for the living-room.

Attendance for the event is expected to be extremely limited, as it takes place at the Town Hall Auditorium on Apple's Campus -- a venue which is suited to accommodate only a few hundred people.
post #2 of 54
one AND the same
post #3 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by jrpacman
one AND the same

That was really hardcore for you 5th post in 4 years.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #4 of 54
A Red iPod sounds really cool... whether it has touchscreen, teleportation and time travel features or not

If that IS what the special edition rumors lead to, I wonder if there will be a choice of Nano or Regular, or only one?

And I predict TWO new iTunes versions tomorrow: iTunes 7 in the morning, and iTunes 8 later on.
post #5 of 54
i am beginning to get the feeling that there are way too many announcements being rumored to get devoted time to each. so what we may get is, rather than an item-by-tem breakdown, we get a bird's eye view of the mac media landscape. ipod add-ons (ipod socks 2.0!), new mac mini's, front row 2.0 (PLEASE), and airport express that can stream video to the tv, etc. i just can't see steve dwelling on an ipod boombox for more than about 2 minutes. but if they go after microsoft's media center RIGHT NOW, both guns blazing, we may see something really catch fire.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #6 of 54
We need a new thread for this?
post #7 of 54
roll on tomorrow!

Roll on, roll on, I wish I had a time machine!

Oh by the way that Airport express(video) wont be here till at least late 2006, mid 2007!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #8 of 54
AIDS is FUN
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #9 of 54
Gotta love those "muisc-related accessories".
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
AIDS is FUN

i don't think our friends in Africa would appreciate that comment.
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by wilco
We need a new thread for this?

I agree, this looked like a 100% rumor recap. I'm surprised that the various Intel Mac rumors weren't recapped, or is that article due tonight?
post #12 of 54
I don't think he was making fun of AIDS or suggesting it's not a worthy cause. I think it was just a joke noting the morbid irony of Apple emphasizing "fun" in their announcement, and then that announcement potentially covering AIDS prevention.

Morbid yes, but the irony is there
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
I don't think he was making fun of AIDS or suggesting it's not a worthy cause. I think it was just a joke noting the morbid irony of Apple emphasizing "fun" in their announcement, and then that announcement potentially covering AIDS prevention.

Morbid yes, but the irony is there

Yes I presume it should have had a question mark after it
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by syklee26
i don't think our friends in Africa would appreciate that comment.

More fun than dying from ebola, genocide or stavartion. Besides, AIDS doesn't kill you, it's the secondary infection.

I spent 9 months in east Africa, what a shithole. I'm glad my ancestors were smart enough to pick up and move to Europe 10,000 years ago or so.
post #15 of 54
Perhaps the fun products are Disney or Pixar themed iPod videos with pre-loaded Disney and Pixar content... possibly even full-length movies!!! 8)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 54
I appreciated the irony of Anders' remark, and I'd otherwise have reason to be offended...and I'm not African.
post #17 of 54
Incidentally, how many people have seen this Microsoft product film... "Origami"?

http://creativecoremedia.com/mso.swf

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Perhaps the fun products are Disney or Pixar themed iPod videos with pre-loaded Disney and Pixar content... possibly even full-length movies!!! 8)

iPods don't come pre-loaded with ANYTHING. For now, their very configuration dictates that they won't, either.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
iPods don't come pre-loaded with ANYTHING. For now, their very configuration dictates that they won't, either.

You'll recall that they sold the U2 special edition preloaded with the entire U2 catalog... unless I'm mistaken (I didn't buy one).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 54
Quote:
AIDS is FUN

Sorry, this isnt another "Apple Is Dead Soon" subject!

(Sorry, could'nt resist. Hope I didnt upset anyone!)
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #21 of 54
I'm afraid you're wrong there - they shipped with a voucher offering a discount on buying the entire U2 back catalog on iTunes. They didn't have any music preloaded on them.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
That was really hardcore for you 5th post in 4 years.

i almost juiced my what? oh man, thank you
for the juice.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
Attendance for the event is expected to be extremely limited, as it takes place at the Town Hall Auditorium on Apple's Campus -- a venue which is suited to accommodate only a few hundred people...

What does that suppose to mean?
A few hundred people (read journalists) seem to be more than enough
to scope all apple news and spread it afterwards. A few hundred people is HUGE.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
[B]A Red iPod sounds really cool... whether it has touchscreen, teleportation and time travel features or not ]

I bought one of those time travelling iPods a week next Tuesday. Man, don't bother. It broke down twelve years ago.
I just took it to the Genius Bar. The man told me they won't make them like they used to have done, and to wait until the rev B model last November.
New books out now! www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
New books out now! www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
post #25 of 54
Quote:
AIDS is FUN

jerk
aidanP
aidanP
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by aidanp
jerk

Someone didn't get it.
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by minderbinder
Someone didn't get it.

Apparently.

The long version: Apple is inviting to a showing of "fun" products. The rumour business hints that an AIDS iPod will be one of those products. Ergo an AIDS iPod is fun. Since I didn´t see Apple use "fun" as a sales argument before fo the iPod, the "fun" part must be the AIDS thing which would be quite morbide statement from Apple UNLESS OF COURSE THE RUMOURS ARE WRONG! which I think it is for exactly that reasons.

So I could say "AIDS is FUN " and hope people would be able to backtrack the arguments leading up to the implicit argument (that it would be morbide for Apple to connect AIDS to fun) and see its implications (that it is very unlikely Apple will do it). Or I could post "Since Apple is hinting the release of "fun" products tomorrow the idea of an AIDS iPod seems a bit misplaced. It gives the wrong connotations and would be a bit morbide. So I doubt the truth in the rumours of an AIDS iPod at this point", but thats a lot more words and sometimes the point gets across more directly with a comment that put the issue on the edge.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by artistry
I bought one of those time travelling iPods a week next Tuesday. Man, don't bother. It broke down twelve years ago.
I just took it to the Genius Bar. The man told me they won't make them like they used to have done, and to wait until the rev B model last November.

Gold But I am confused, where was that genious bar in 1994?
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by artistry

lol good one
post #30 of 54
Since so many have been offended and misunderstood the meaning of my original post I will say this: I didn´t anticipate so many hurt feelings and I apologies for those reactions.

Enough about current events and back to Apple and iPods...
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
i almost juiced my what? oh man, thank you
for the juice.

I am surprised anyone noticed with the geek fight going on all around...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #32 of 54
I would buy something to <obscenity>fuck</obscenity> AIDS.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Incidentally, how many people have seen this Microsoft product film... "Origami"?

http://creativecoremedia.com/mso.swf

So yeah, lots have and to me this does prove that the tablet IS a viable and useful form/device. But that is some time away if it will be working like advertized and man it looked like it was designed by PlaySkool. I do like the cover with the integrated keyboard, though!!!! Just think of it in a nice brushed aluminum and without the goofy side bezels for all of those buttons. Gaming and other controls need to be add-ons or modules, not integrated into the main device...IMHO.

I also agree with way at the top, that the speculation is more than for a Keynote and we are just talking about "fun" stuff for tomorrow. A red iPod does nothing for me, AIDS or not.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by schmidm77
More fun than dying from ebola, genocide or stavartion. Besides, AIDS doesn't kill you, it's the secondary infection.

Someone chopping off your arm doesn't kill you, it's the secondary blood loss.

Quote:
I spent 9 months in east Africa, what a shithole. I'm glad my ancestors were smart enough to pick up and move to Europe 10,000 years ago or so.

post #35 of 54
Looks like someone at Real has been passing around LSD tabs to the media.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060227/20060227005789.html?.v=1

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by schmidm77

Sounds like a good Aryan thing to say! Ya, Herr Schmid?
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Sounds like a good Aryan thing to say! Ya, Herr Schmid?

Yeah, it was kind of a silly thing of that person to say. I thought that the worst of Africa's political and military strife was more or less because of Europe's colonialism.
post #38 of 54
Apparently.

The long version: Apple is inviting to a showing of "fun" products. The rumour business hints that an AIDS iPod will be one of those products. Ergo an AIDS iPod is fun. Since I didn´t see Apple use "fun" as a sales argument before fo the iPod, the "fun" part must be the AIDS thing which would be quite morbide statement from Apple UNLESS OF COURSE THE RUMOURS ARE WRONG! which I think it is for exactly that reasons.

So I could say "AIDS is FUN " and hope people would be able to backtrack the arguments leading up to the implicit argument (that it would be morbide for Apple to connect AIDS to fun) and see its implications (that it is very unlikely Apple will do it). Or I could post "Since Apple is hinting the release of "fun" products tomorrow the idea of an AIDS iPod seems a bit misplaced. It gives the wrong connotations and would be a bit morbide. So I doubt the truth in the rumours of an AIDS iPod at this point", but thats a lot more words and sometimes the point gets across more directly with a comment that put the issue on the edge.

Ah, the evolving mystery that is Anders
post #39 of 54
Yeah, RealVideo is sooo awesome

"The reports provide an objective counterbalance to the hyperbole coming from both the Flash and H.264 camps. One of the key findings from the Proprietary report, for example, was that the quality of the best Flash and H.264 codecs still trailed RealVideo, often by a significant margin"

How much did Real pay streamingmedia.com for these "reports"??
post #40 of 54
6... gasp... count 'em... SIX versions of Vista!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4754462.stm

Yet, somehow, we get by just fine with 1 version of OSX!... Oh, alright, 2 of 'em if you count the Macintel version.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New special edition iPod, other accessories may arrive soon