or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Faithful Win user seriously looking to switch..need advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Faithful Win user seriously looking to switch..need advice

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
I haven't been a truly faithful win fanboy. I bought a powerbook and kept it about three weeks before selling it to a friend. To be honest I just didn't need a laptop. I am not gone enough to justify having a laptop. I am a student and I talked myself into needing a laptop for school. I have since purchased a Sony Vaio notebook that I have let me mom have. It took me two times to realize that I don't need anything besides a pc.

I built my computer almost four years ago, and it still runs good to be four years old. I can tell that the time to upgrade is very close. I don't play pc games at all anymore. I doubt I will ever play pc games again. So, I am not looking for a graphics powerhouse, that was all I cared about four years ago.

I have been looking at the imac. I think that it has everything I need. I would upgrade to 1 gig ram and maybe upgrade to the 256 graphics card. I think that machine would take care of all my needs. All I really do is surf the net and buy/download music, make cds and do some work for school. I am also tired of all the space this current machine takes up. I want more desk space to do homework on.

I don't know really what I am looking for. Words of encouragement maybe, helping me decide between g5 and intel, general help with macs. I am scared about learning a new OS. When I had my powerbook I did love the machine. It looked great and performed ok. Wasn't that great at playing games.

Would a Intel Imac last me four years?

Everyone I know that is interested in computers is a windows fanboy. I mentioned that I am looking at a mac and all I get is "why" followed by a very weird and confused look on their face.

Please help a mac newb.
post #2 of 43
Depends, did you upgrade your original PC build during these four years? You're well aware of the limited upgrade possibilites of the iMac? You're pretty much gonna be stuck with the same graphics card and processor during this time. I'm sure it's pretty messy and expensive to upgrade those parts. RAM, sure, Hard drive, sure, but that's pretty much it.

Now, if you're looking for a Mac that holds in the "long run", you should definetily go Intel. PowerPC apps will probably be next to extinct in four years.

I think buying a intel duo core iMac at this time is definetily a computer that will hold for several years. It all depends on your needs. Playing the latest and greatest games in four years? Forgeddaboutit! Using photoshop/office/mail/web? Definetily!
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
Reply
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
Reply
post #3 of 43
I love my iMac; I would certainly recommend it.

RAM is good. Especially if you're going to use a program like garageband. Going from 512 to 1.5 gigs made a huge difference for me in that program.

If you're a student (high school or college?), I'd say tough it out through the rest of this school year, and get yourself an iMac when it's upgraded in the summer and have yourself something spiffy for the new school year.

But if you don't want to wait, by all means, buy now

The only reason I suggest waiting is that it doesn't sound like getting a new machine is critical yet, and well, waiting a little longer always gets you something nicer! It's that fine line between waiting for the right time, and never buying because you're always waiting for the next upgrade.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #4 of 43
In my honest opinion, you don't need an iMac.

For you I'd recommend the Mac mini Core Duo. (I wouldn't ever get the $599 model... yuck). That's a nice machine, and it works since you need more deskspace. Just get a cheap LCD monitor and you're fine.

With the money you saved, you can get an office suite (it looks like Office:mac is going to have a Universal patch, so you might as well get it now). Also, you can get a printer if you need one and other accessories.

The Mac mini is perfect for you.
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
Reply
MacBook Pro (ordered - It's so long until February 15!)
PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (retired)
iPod shuffle, 512 MB
iPod 5G (...eventually)

I'm stuck using a PC right now. Dx
Reply
post #5 of 43
What's your budget? Do you want desktop or laptop? Do you have an existing high quality display? Are you serious about NEVER playing games again? What do you personally mean by "graphics powerhouse"? Will you do video editing? DVD Authoring? Traditionl page layout? What is your software budget? Why do you have a predetermined four year lifespan?

We need a lot more info from you to give an informed recommendation.

In the meantime, you'll love OS X and iLife 06. Don't worry about making the switch.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #6 of 43
The very thing i honestly don't get along regarding
this story is why for christ's sake did you even buy
this wonderful Powerbook just to sell it 3 weeks
later. Okay you reconsidered yourself as a typ who
has no need for a laptop. Granted things and such can happen.
And than the sony story...
Do you agree that this is far away of an average behaviour?
I don't know anybody else, who strolls into a Computer store,
lays aprox. $1.800 onto the table and 3 weeks
later... well, amazing, isn't it?
My advice, think twice
Btw, the lowest iBook will probably suit your needs.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #7 of 43
You won't be disappointed. The iMac dual-core is a really nice machine, and has the built-in iSight -- its powerful enough to host a multi-party video conference. Sweet!

I've got both a Powermac G4 desktop and the first generation titanium Powerbook G4-400. The Powermac I upgraded from 400 MHz to 800MHz and has plenty of speed for all the apps that I use, including Virtual PC. The TiBook is 5 years old and is only 400 MHz. It's running the most current copy of OSX and is still kicking. I'm looking at moving up to the new Macbook Pro's though...I'm getting into a position where I need to be more mobile and this 400 MHz machine is really a bit slow for daily use.

The point is, that you will certainly get a good 4 years use out of your purchase, and you won't be fighting with trying to keep the machine operational with virus's and spyware. I was a LONG time Windows guy (remember Windows 2.1? I do...). Anyways, I got so tired of working to keep the machines operational, that 5 years ago (just when OS X was going beta) I switched and have never looked back. I've even gotten to the point that i won't help any friends with Windows problems anymore...I just don't have the time to waste spending a day trying to get a Windows machine back up, depending on what's wrong with it and how many reboots you need to do. So now, I just polietly say that I don't remember enough to help them, but if they are ready to shop for a computer that won't give them the hassels, I'd be glad to take a ride to the Apple store with them. :-)

Good luck! and welcome back!
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by pubguy
You won't be disappointed. The iMac dual-core is a really nice machine, and has the built-in iSight -- its powerful enough to host a multi-party video conference. Sweet!

I've got both a Powermac G4 desktop and the first generation titanium Powerbook G4-400. The Powermac I upgraded from 400 MHz to 800MHz and has plenty of speed for all the apps that I use, including Virtual PC. The TiBook is 5 years old and is only 400 MHz. It's running the most current copy of OSX and is still kicking. I'm looking at moving up to the new Macbook Pro's though...I'm getting into a position where I need to be more mobile and this 400 MHz machine is really a bit slow for daily use.

The point is, that you will certainly get a good 4 years use out of your purchase, and you won't be fighting with trying to keep the machine operational with virus's and spyware. I was a LONG time Windows guy (remember Windows 2.1? I do...). Anyways, I got so tired of working to keep the machines operational, that 5 years ago (just when OS X was going beta) I switched and have never looked back. I've even gotten to the point that i won't help any friends with Windows problems anymore...I just don't have the time to waste spending a day trying to get a Windows machine back up, depending on what's wrong with it and how many reboots you need to do. So now, I just polietly say that I don't remember enough to help them, but if they are ready to shop for a computer that won't give them the hassels, I'd be glad to take a ride to the Apple store with them. :-)

Good luck! and welcome back!

I love this story, did you submit it to Apple.com?
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #9 of 43
Thread Starter 
Just to comment on my first pb purchase. I didn't lose any money, my friend is an avid mac fan. He had a dated ibook and needed an upgrade. My sony was basically a gift, but it now serves as a great computer for my parents. I want a pc, I like having a full keyboard and mouse. I am not wanting to spend over 1650.00. I can get an education discount at applestore.com. I think I can sell the one I have now for around 400. My moniter is huge. It is a CRT flat screen, it takes up so much space on my desk. I have to set my keyboard on the floor (wireless) to make room to do homework. One think about Apple that bothers me, I will buy an Imac and then three weeks later, some better newer faster Imac will come onto the market. Happened to me with the ipod.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by thegreatluke
In my honest opinion, you don't need an iMac.

For you I'd recommend the Mac mini Core Duo. (I wouldn't ever get the $599 model... yuck). That's a nice machine, and it works since you need more deskspace. Just get a cheap LCD monitor and you're fine.

With the money you saved, you can get an office suite (it looks like Office:mac is going to have a Universal patch, so you might as well get it now). Also, you can get a printer if you need one and other accessories.

The Mac mini is perfect for you.

What's wrong with the iMac?
I thought he said he wants to up his GPU not get rid of it.
He also wanted it to last for 4 years.
And i geuss the Mac experience had to be good, because of the windows fanboys around him.

So, the Mac mini is not perfect.
It isn't designed to be perfect.
It just had to be good enough...
For now.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #11 of 43
Thread Starter 
I am not considering the mac mini at all. As of right now the imac is all I have my eye on. I am thinking about waiting until mid-summer. I am hoping a wireless mighty mouse comes out by then.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by turbo
Just to comment on my first pb purchase. I didn't lose any money, my friend is an avid mac fan. He had a dated ibook and needed an upgrade. My sony was basically a gift, but it now serves as a great computer for my parents. I want a pc, I like having a full keyboard and mouse. I am not wanting to spend over 1650.00. I can get an education discount at applestore.com. I think I can sell the one I have now for around 400. My moniter is huge. It is a CRT flat screen, it takes up so much space on my desk. I have to set my keyboard on the floor (wireless) to make room to do homework. One think about Apple that bothers me, I will buy an Imac and then three weeks later, some better newer faster Imac will come onto the market. Happened to me with the ipod.

ok! turbo. here it comes: first of all welcome to the mac experience (after you buy & use your first mac) you'll feel a bit guilty for selling your powerbook & not getting an imac right away.. just kidding! NOT REALLY! it happened to me before but for other reasons.. anyway.. the iMac is perfect for you, but it's up to you which one you want, in terms of money or simply need.. for what you said i think that you should get the 20" core duo, apple's latest & greatest, you can do everything you want with it (including gaming) no problem there.. but of course there is that universal thing that you'll have to wait before all apps are written for both powerpc & intel (check apple.com for more info) if you're on a tight budget go for the 17" G5 absolutely perfect, make sure you have @ least 1Gb of ram and plenty of cds/dvds because that machine can burn anything you throw @ it..

so, G5 cheaper all software vs Intel "faster" not all software (yet!) check the facts yourself & good luck.

p.s. there is a rumor of a 23" iMac.. it seems that is not a rumor but more like a natural upgrade or whatever, but we have no idea when it will come out..

p.s2. which brings me to this last suggestion: buy exactly what you need, becuase it's very likely that apple will come out with something better the minute you turn it on...

lol

..but i'm not kidding you this time!

MAC RULES!!!
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #13 of 43
From what you say about what you do with the machine, the mac mini core duo would be fine (especially if you have a decent screen from your last machine). If you have a 21" CRT that takes up 1/2 your desk then an iMac might be a better bet. Either one will do what you describe with no problems. The native apps you'll want to use with an intelmac will be along soon if they're not already.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by finchna
From what you say about what you do with the machine, the mac mini core duo would be fine (especially if you have a decent screen from your last machine). If you have a 21" CRT that takes up 1/2 your desk then an iMac might be a better bet. Either one will do what you describe with no problems. The native apps you'll want to use with an intelmac will be along soon if they're not already.

but.. will it still be fast enough after 4 years?
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by turbo
I haven't been a truly faithful win fanboy. I bought a powerbook and kept it about three weeks before selling it to a friend. To be honest I just didn't need a laptop. I am not gone enough to justify having a laptop. I am a student and I talked myself into needing a laptop for school. I have since purchased a Sony Vaio notebook that I have let me mom have. It took me two times to realize that I don't need anything besides a pc.

I built my computer almost four years ago, and it still runs good to be four years old. I can tell that the time to upgrade is very close. I don't play pc games at all anymore. I doubt I will ever play pc games again. So, I am not looking for a graphics powerhouse, that was all I cared about four years ago.

I have been looking at the imac. I think that it has everything I need. I would upgrade to 1 gig ram and maybe upgrade to the 256 graphics card. I think that machine would take care of all my needs. All I really do is surf the net and buy/download music, make cds and do some work for school. I am also tired of all the space this current machine takes up. I want more desk space to do homework on.

I don't know really what I am looking for. Words of encouragement maybe, helping me decide between g5 and intel, general help with macs. I am scared about learning a new OS. When I had my powerbook I did love the machine. It looked great and performed ok. Wasn't that great at playing games.

Would a Intel Imac last me four years?

Everyone I know that is interested in computers is a windows fanboy. I mentioned that I am looking at a mac and all I get is "why" followed by a very weird and confused look on their face.

Please help a mac newb.

ahh!
one more thing!
let's us know if you did switch & which mac you got..
that would be cool!

mac the knife!
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #16 of 43
Thread Starter 
I would be getting the 20". My moniter is a 19" crt, it is hugeeee. There is no way I will use this moniter ever again. I could sell it to a fried for pretty cheap. It is too heavy to ever consider shipping. An LCD is more my style. My four years is just a number. I wanted an alienware four years ago, I decided to save money and build my own with the same specs. This computer has been very good for four years. My gateway barely made it three years. Four years is a good number for me, it comes out to almost $500 a year. It doesn't have to exactly last four years, but I highly doubt my imac would be doing bad in four years.
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by turbo
I would be getting the 20". My moniter is a 19" crt, it is hugeeee. There is no way I will use this moniter ever again. I could sell it to a fried for pretty cheap. It is too heavy to ever consider shipping. An LCD is more my style. My four years is just a number. I wanted an alienware four years ago, I decided to save money and build my own with the same specs. This computer has been very good for four years. My gateway barely made it three years. Four years is a good number for me, it comes out to almost $500 a year. It doesn't have to exactly last four years, but I highly doubt my imac would be doing bad in four years.

20" G5 or Intel Core Duo?
Good choice anyway!
welcome to macworld!
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Zenga
but.. will it still be fast enough after 4 years?

If all that's being done with the machine is schoolwork (office), surfing, and playing music, then sure. If he wants to do render and play HD video then that might be another story.

Then again, what computer (with no upgrades) is ever fast enough when it's 4 years old if you've substantially expanded the work that you do with the machine?
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by finchna
If all that's being done with the machine is schoolwork (office), surfing, and playing music, then sure. If he wants to do render and play HD video then that might be another story.

Then again, what computer (with no upgrades) is ever fast enough when it's 4 years old if you've substantially expanded the work that you do with the machine?

zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #20 of 43
I was worried about making "the switch" too, but man oh man, the best switch of my life. I bought a powerbook in November of 05, and I LOVE It. Its perfect, does everything I want it too, and does it better than my windows ever did or ever will. GO FOR IT, you'll love it....
post #21 of 43
I personally think the 20" iMac Core Duo is a REALLY compelling machine. I bought one, and I'm SUPER cheap. I've been a life-long (well, since about 5) Apple/Mac user, but this is actually the first Mac I've felt the need to buy. I've always had good second hand macs (I work in IT, and have nice bosses), but I'm still thrilled with the iMac, even after the pangs of shelling out $1699 of my hard earned money. By the way, get it through amazon.com, it ends up cheaper than getting it from Apple's Edu site. In fact, it was cheaper for me to buy from amazon than from Apple's developer site! The only (minor) limitation is that you can't get the 256MB of VRAM. But if you're not thinking about playing games, why would you need it? I have my 20" iMac setup with my Dell 2001FP and it's gorgeous, and running full res with "only" 128MB of VRAM. Also, someone mentioned that you can't upgrade the iMac beyond RAM & HD, but that's not totally true, the CPU is ZIF, and can (in theory) be upgraded to a faster Core Duo down the line. Basically, you're limited to one internal HD (unlimited external via FireWire and USB), one internal slot loading optical, two ram slots, and the x1600 (with however much vram). As a guy with a homebuilt (and significantly overclocked) AMD gaming rig, I know that the most common upgrades are HD, RAM, CPU, all of which you can do with iMac. And those are the ones you're likely to care about, since you've said you're not looking to game.

ok, one more thing, grab a 1GB stick of ram from newegg for about $109, and at some point if you want to go to 2GB, you can always buy another (for less $$ at that point), and sell the 512 to one of the millions of future iMac/MacBook, Mac Mini owners.

hope this is encouragement enough...seriously, I'm about the cheapest scot you'll ever meet, and I practically want to THANK Apple for letting me part with the $1699 (no tax, no shipping, and $150 rebate makes it $1549 bottom line).
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
I personally think the 20" iMac Core Duo is a REALLY compelling machine. I bought one, and I'm SUPER cheap. I've been a life-long (well, since about 5) Apple/Mac user, but this is actually the first Mac I've felt the need to buy. I've always had good second hand macs (I work in IT, and have nice bosses), but I'm still thrilled with the iMac, even after the pangs of shelling out $1699 of my hard earned money. By the way, get it through amazon.com, it ends up cheaper than getting it from Apple's Edu site. In fact, it was cheaper for me to buy from amazon than from Apple's developer site! The only (minor) limitation is that you can't get the 256MB of VRAM. But if you're not thinking about playing games, why would you need it? I have my 20" iMac setup with my Dell 2001FP and it's gorgeous, and running full res with "only" 128MB of VRAM. Also, someone mentioned that you can't upgrade the iMac beyond RAM & HD, but that's not totally true, the CPU is ZIF, and can (in theory) be upgraded to a faster Core Duo down the line. Basically, you're limited to one internal HD (unlimited external via FireWire and USB), one internal slot loading optical, two ram slots, and the x1600 (with however much vram). As a guy with a homebuilt (and significantly overclocked) AMD gaming rig, I know that the most common upgrades are HD, RAM, CPU, all of which you can do with iMac. And those are the ones you're likely to care about, since you've said you're not looking to game.

ok, one more thing, grab a 1GB stick of ram from newegg for about $109, and at some point if you want to go to 2GB, you can always buy another (for less $$ at that point), and sell the 512 to one of the millions of future iMac/MacBook, Mac Mini owners.

hope this is encouragement enough...seriously, I'm about the cheapest scot you'll ever meet, and I practically want to THANK Apple for letting me part with the $1699 (no tax, no shipping, and $150 rebate makes it $1549 bottom line).

Man I didn't know that you could upgrade your graphics cards to 256mb.. THAT'S AWESOME!!! and also a 500 mb hdd..! that's perfect for an iMac (definetly worth it) this machine could break the all time records if it comes out with a 23" display...

I personally don't like to upgrade a Mac or PC aside from RAM or getting a bigger HDD along the line.. maybe the graphics card.. but i'm not a fan of that.. why? well i think that when you buy for i.e. an iMac it's already suited for the work you need (i buy what i need.. for what i intend to use) that's my rule with computers.. I bought a all in one acer veriton ages ago, it was just for my secretary @ work and so far is the first computer that i bought thinking exactly what i need it for.. after more than 4 years it's alive and kicking.. Imagine an iMac! I mean this machine is built to last, if not defective my guess is that my new (already old) iMac G5 will serve it purpose for a very long time..

Sorry if I got off topic, but what I want to say is that i prefer to buy what i need in the present and not so much for the future, specially when my present can strech for so many years..

p.s. i'm replying to this message because I agree with your point too!

p.s. who doesn't wish for a PowerMac Quad with two 23" cinema displays!!!!

zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #23 of 43
Welcome to the Mac club, Turbo, and welcome to these boards, which are never boring!

Sounds like you are a student going off to college soon (may be wrong here); I got my first Mac back in college in 1987 and have never considered the other side.

Go for the iMac Core Duo. Stay with Apple's apps for a while as other makers switch their software to binary, which will take place this year or early next (Adobe is just holding out because...).

- 1GB RAM will more than do
- stay with a small HD (lower heat and power drag)
- use USB external drives for backup (dirt cheap)
- for your word processing needs: Pages is great
- use Keynote to make animated review cards, transfer to your iPod
- wait until the next version comes out in summer (bug fixes and the like)
- don't fret if something replaces it the next day; this is normal and the diffrerence in performance is usually only minor anyway

My first Mac, a Mac Plus, ran without a single problem for almost 15 years (I only parted with it when I moved into a smaller residence - things are cramped here in Japan). My wife's iMac has been running daily for the past four years and is still going strong, so I expect you can tweak four years out if it. Personally, with the price of the iMac, it might be best to sell it and get a new one in two or three years. I have a staggered 3-year system for updating my desktop and notebook, but bend the rules sometimes depending on my needs and the abilities of the new machines.

Edit: OF COURSE buy AppleCare just in case.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #24 of 43
Just to be clear for you and others, you can't upgrade the VRAM to 256MB, you can only CTO 256MB.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zenga
Man I didn't know that you could upgrade your graphics cards to 256mb.. THAT'S AWESOME!!! and also a 500 mb hdd..! that's perfect for an iMac (definetly worth it) this machine could break the all time records if it comes out with a 23" display...

I personally don't like to upgrade a Mac or PC aside from RAM or getting a bigger HDD along the line.. maybe the graphics card.. but i'm not a fan of that.. why? well i think that when you buy for i.e. an iMac it's already suited for the work you need (i buy what i need.. for what i intend to use) that's my rule with computers.. I bought a all in one acer veriton ages ago, it was just for my secretary @ work and so far is the first computer that i bought thinking exactly what i need it for.. after more than 4 years it's alive and kicking.. Imagine an iMac! I mean this machine is built to last, if not defective my guess is that my new (already old) iMac G5 will serve it purpose for a very long time..

Sorry if I got off topic, but what I want to say is that i prefer to buy what i need in the present and not so much for the future, specially when my present can strech for so many years..

p.s. i'm replying to this message because I agree with your point too!

p.s. who doesn't wish for a PowerMac Quad with two 23" cinema displays!!!!

====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Zenga
but.. will it still be fast enough after 4 years?

Based on these articles since you can replace the processor (as long as intel continues to keep the same pin layouts, etc.) it should remain plenty fast by upgrading the processor. This upgrade puts it pretty close to the iMac core duo speed based on ititial test results.


http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=91459
http://www.maconintel.com/news.php?article=140
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=159752
post #26 of 43
The iMac sounds like the machine for you. The 20" model is a great buy when you consider everything that comes with it. The only real suggestion I have is...make sure you get everything you want now because it will be a while before you want to switch and it is difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade an iMac. I have a rev. A 17" G5 iMac and I love it.
TCAT
Reply
TCAT
Reply
post #27 of 43
Thread Starter 
I have one last question. I was going to try and wait until after the summer to make my purchase. I have since gotten Mac crazy and want it before then.

Most of my data will be easy to burn and transfer except my itunes. Is there anyway to keep my itunes library safe? Can I network both of them and transfew it that way?
post #28 of 43
You can transfer it over the network or copy it to something (flash, hd, optical) and then move it over.

Just make sure it all transfers alright (by testing the music).
post #29 of 43
Thread Starter 
Keeping this thread alive. I am selling my pc soon (clap) after today of just trying to get a small network going between my pc and laptop I am sick of windoze. I am going to use my ipod to store my data, the only stuff I really need to transfer is only around 10 gigs. I am either buying directly from apple or I just found one at best buy. Only good thing about the one from best buy is 12 months no interest, that way I could have it faster then if I just pay for it all at once. Only problem with one from best buy is I can't configure it.

Where is a good place to buy ram? And it is easy to install in the imac?

And since I can't upgrade the vid card to 256 mb vram will that really be a big deal for me? I don't currently do any editing, but I since I am moving to mac I have already started pricing video cameras. I would like to be able to get some memories on film and edit them as I wish. Especially for when I have children one day.

Only pro about getting it from best buy is I can get sooner. Or I could just wait about a month more and get it with no financing and upgraded to the 256 mb card.

I am interested in seeing what new product might hit the market in april, if a 23" imac came along that would be great. So, waiting for a month might not be a bad thing.
post #30 of 43
well with the basic assumption that there will be an april event, then i'd wait a few more weeks. what's the difference really (B/c then you just get to start waiting until whatever was annouced actually starts shipping )

the imac is a wicked computer (as people here have said).

oh, and if you put everything you want to transfer in one folder, the apple store will transfer the contents of that folder free of charge. i guess you could put it on your ipod too...BUT will you need to reconfigure it upon connection to your new Mac, or will you be able to use it to transfer data directly? find that out. if you can do it with the ipod, then no need to carry the old machine to the store.

there was something else i was going to reply to, but now i don't remember. oh well..not important.
post #31 of 43
Looks like I'm about to trade places with this guy. Welcome aboard.
post #32 of 43
I can wholeheartedly recommend either the 17" or 20" iMac.

As far as RAM, you can pick up a 1GB module for $114.99 from http://macsales.com -- and it's extremely easy to add it to the iMac yourself. It basically has a little drawer you can pull out and pop in the extra RAM.

As far as the video card, I do not see any point in upgrading -- 128MB of dedicated VRAM will be fine for virtually anything, and the minor increases you might see in certain games aren't worth the extra money, unless you're buying this as a gaming machine. It definitely won't make any difference to Photoshop or video editing.
post #33 of 43
Kingston.com sells what has been (in my experiences) high-quality RAM. Oh, and you said you were a student--if that means college student, you could get a discount from apple.com. Even if not, isn't Amazon.com offering some $125 or something off a new Intel iMac?

In any case: enjoy your Mac!
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
Reply
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
Reply
post #34 of 43
33 replies is a nice bit of advice, hope it helps!


Oh yea my advice: Switch, because quite simple Macs ARE better!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #35 of 43
Thread Starter 
WOW o WOW. Went to my nearest apply store today (only 45 min away). Been planning this trip all week, I had to see the imac in person and actually play around with OS X to see if it was what I truly wanted. OMG I had such a good time. I played with the imac for around 45 mins. I kept looking behind me to make sure no one was wanting to play on it and wanting me to move lol. It has to be one of the greatest machines I have ever played around on. Everything makes so much more sense on a mac, I taught myself a lot of things in 45 mins. If I didn't know how to do something I just typed it in spotlight, and from there I figured it out. What a great OS. Talked to a couple very helpful employees who were more then happy to show me some tips. I wanted to take it home then. I feel like I am back home to my ancient computer now. There has been a mac fan inside me all of my life just trying to bust out. I am putting my pc on Ebay tonight. Going to make sure I get my mac soon.

What is a good video editing software for a newb? I think having a mac will let me explore other creative interests and video has always been one. I am not ready to spend 600+ on video editing software. I just want something good to learn on. After a few months I am going to pick up a nice video camera.
post #36 of 43
Glad you enjoyed the store! My nearest store is 1.5 hours by high speed train, and is a mini store.

If you are just starting out with video, use iMovie and iDVD which come with your Mac in iLife. You can do pretty impressive things with them. For now, invest in a camera. 3CCDs are great; HD is great but not many to choose from. Sony just released a new HD cam tho I:m not sure if it's available in the US yet. Price is OK. HD will help you print better photos from the video frames.

For iMovie, there are any plug-ins. I recommendSLICK by GEETHREE . Pick and choose and you can make really impressive stuff.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #37 of 43
imovie is a really great application. i've worked in professional media for many years and i have to say that imovie, for all its limitations, is incredibly powerful. most often than not the limitation is the user and their skills than the application. i've cut together some pretty cool stuff with imovie with speed changes, multiple audio tracks, quick cuts and effects. it's really quite great.

here's a video i cut together of rose bowl highlights on imovie (i'm a university of texas alum). ** the song has profanity if that's an issue **

Rose Bowl Video
post #38 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by admactanium
imovie is a really great application. i've worked in professional media for many years and i have to say that imovie, for all its limitations, is incredibly powerful. most often than not the limitation is the user and their skills than the application. i've cut together some pretty cool stuff with imovie with speed changes, multiple audio tracks, quick cuts and effects. it's really quite great.

here's a video i cut together of rose bowl highlights on imovie (i'm a university of texas alum). ** the song has profanity if that's an issue **

Rose Bowl Video

Wow nice vid. I like seeing Vince make USC look like a bunch of idiots. Imovie looks like it will be plenty for me.
post #39 of 43
Also, Final Cut Express is a great buy, and although a little more daunting than iMovie, is extremely consistent and easy to use once you know the basics.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by turbo
I am not considering the mac mini at all. As of right now the imac is all I have my eye on. I am thinking about waiting until mid-summer. I am hoping a wireless mighty mouse comes out by then.

Aren't we alll.... that will be my cheap hardware purchase to tide me over til I buy a new computer with 10.5 at the end of the year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Faithful Win user seriously looking to switch..need advice