or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Where do you put your dock?

Where do you put your dock?

post #1 of 46
Where do you put your dock?

Hidden? Magnification? Left? Right? Bottom?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
post #2 of 46
Always visible, at the bottom...just seemed like the most sensible, and I was tired of having it hidden...it just pissed me off.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #3 of 46
Always at the bottom. Sometimes i hide it when i want more screen-estate, but I tend to turn hiding of after a while as it pisses me of as well after some time.
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
Always visible, at the bottom...just seemed like the most sensible, and I was tired of having it hidden...it just pissed me off.

Yes.

My old Ti PowerBook has it hidden because the resolution -- 1152x768 -- is so low. But on my 20" display I keep it visible all the time so I don't have to deal with it constantly sliding in and out. Annoying!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #5 of 46
Left and hidden. No accidentally hitting it when going for resize widget on windows this way. Also don't have to worry about "bad apps" that size their windows below the dock making access to some of the window impossible.

Hidden because the size of an iBook screen is quite small; every pixel counts.
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by dutch pear
Always at the bottom. Sometimes i hide it when i want more screen-estate, but I tend to turn hiding of after a while as it pisses me of as well after some time.

Same here. On a 15" Ali PB.
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
post #7 of 46
On my iBook, hidden.
On my 20" iMac, large, in charge, and visible. Bottom, of course.

Hint: Option-Command-D makes your dock hidden/showing.
post #8 of 46
Left and visible.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Left and visible.

Ditto
post #10 of 46
Right side, up top. Always visible on my work iMac G5, hidden on my personal PB G4 12"
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #11 of 46
I always place my dock on the bottom, since the aspect ratio of computer monitors, particularly wide-screen monitors such as the one on my powerbook, provides the user with more horizontal space than vertical having the dock on the bottom lets you access it with much less mouse movement. I change the visibility regularly based on what I'm doing with the computer, but I usually leave it hidden.
post #12 of 46
bottom right. always visible, 16x16 icon size, NO ALIASES, so it ONLY shows running apps and minimized windows. heck, at that size, you can't see the "application running black triangle" anyway. I then use Dragthing to be by app launcher slide-out drawer on the screen side.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by akheron01
I always place my dock on the bottom, since the aspect ratio of computer monitors, particularly wide-screen monitors such as the one on my powerbook, provides the user with more horizontal space than vertical having the dock on the bottom lets you access it with much less mouse movement. I change the visibility regularly based on what I'm doing with the computer, but I usually leave it hidden.

Interesting how people see the same things differently. For the same reasons as you as far as vertical and horizontal, I keep my dock on the left. My reasoning is there is now more vertical space for web pages and documents. Most documents are vertical in nature, so I feel like I am cutting off the document by using that space for a dock. But to each their own as they say.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #14 of 46
bottom, visible, with slight magnification on.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #15 of 46
I've got mine at the bottom, without any magnification (it's so annoying!!) and set at half the default size due to my 12" screen.

"Post a screenshot of your dock" should be the next question/thread
post #16 of 46
bottom, always visible, no magnification
edit: added a picture
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #17 of 46
Bottom, hidden, no magnification. I've got a 12" PB, so screen real estate is at a premium.
post #18 of 46
Right side, very slight magnification, not hidden.

I need the space at the bottom for QuicKeys Toolbar.

The toolbar holds all my QuicKeys macros for:

- typing userID, tab, password, and enter for logging in at those "helpful" websites that disable Safari's Autofill (most banks, etc)

- inserting pairs of quote and unquote tags and bolding and italicizing selected text in forum posts

- muting the speaker when Air America Radio's stream goes to commercial and plays the damn identical Muzak over and over

- typing a carriage return when my keyboard isn't on my lap since the damn address bar in Safari doesn't have a "go" button

- a "Wiki" macro for doing a Wikipedia lookup on whatever text is selected in Safari (next on the list is a "add 'http:/ /' to the selected text and Google it - Safari doesn't recognize "www.xxx.com" as a URL unless it has the freaking "http:/ /" on it, so you have to Google the "www.xxx.com" and then tell Google yes, that is the website I want)

- invoking Snapz Pro so I don't have to reach up and get a hernia pulling the keyboard down onto my lap

- zooming in and out, although I made the fourth mouse button do that as a toggle using QuicKeys together with USB Overdrive
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #19 of 46
On the side of the house with the least wind and the deepest water for my boat.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
On the side of the house with the least wind and the deepest water for my boat.

post #21 of 46
I put it next to my TV, on top of my mini hi-fi receiver.

Only wish the Apple Universal Dock had TV menu display and the remote had full clickwheel access.
post #22 of 46
bottom, visible, with slight magnification on
post #23 of 46
On my PM G5 visible on the right, on my TiBook visible on the bottom. Both computers are in dual display setups.
post #24 of 46
Powermac G5: Left or bottom, unhidden, with magnification on.

iBook G3: Left or bottom, unhidden with magnification off.
post #25 of 46
on the bottom hidden.

Windows that are full screen look crap when there is a dock always on the bottom
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by r3dx0r
bottom, always visible, no magnification
edit: added a picture

What is the rubber ducky?

---

Folowing my jest above, a serious answer: at the bottom, hidden.

post #27 of 46
Quote:
What is the rubber ducky?

---

Folowing my jest above, a serious answer: at the bottom, hidden.

Looks like Adium
post #28 of 46
Left, hidden always. 12" PowerBook rev A, it's a tiny screen gotta hide that thing. Now it's habitual, even on bigger screens at work I put it left and hidden.
post #29 of 46
Roght bottom corner, always visible. Doesnt take up much space, and very convenient placed close to desktop icons.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #30 of 46
12" iBook with 24" external display on the right side. Dock on the right, pinned to the top. Very small magnification for visual feedback. Size such that the Dock almost covers the height of the screen and gives the biggest possible click targets. When I'm away from home, once in a while I hide the Dock to get more space.
post #31 of 46
Hidden bottom, full magnification!!

p.s. if you put it on the left, always visible, you must be a recent switcher!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Hidden bottom, full magnification!!

p.s. if you put it on the left, always visible, you must be a recent switcher!

what makes you say that? i have mine that way... and i've had my Ti PB since it was new...
i paid for my mac by fixing people's windows machines.
i paid for my mac by fixing people's windows machines.
post #33 of 46
Generally Bottom and always Visible. Occasionally hidden temporarily, depending on what's going on with the rest of the screen at the moment, but always return to always visible when the task is completed 8).
 iMac 24-inch 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
250GB HDD
OSX "Lion" 10.7.1
 iBook G4 - 14"
OSX "Leopard" 10.5.8
 iMac 24-inch 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
250GB HDD
OSX "Lion" 10.7.1
 iBook G4 - 14"
OSX "Leopard" 10.5.8
post #34 of 46
Right, always on, and slightly magnified.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by MiG
what makes you say that? i have mine that way... and i've had my Ti PB since it was new...

Just a bit of sarcasm.
You know the way Windows users always put thier icons up the left.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
[B]What is the rubber ducky?

It could be Adium, but it also looks like Cyberduck.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Just a bit of sarcasm.
You know the way Windows users always put thier icons up the left.

That's where they default to. Or you could be me, and have 3 icons: My Computer, My Network Places and Recycle Bin...and all with a G5 theme.

Come to think of it, the dock is more like the QuickStart bar in Windows (slightly to the right of the strt button)...at THE BOTTOM.

God, that was pointless.
post #38 of 46
Mmm...

Pointless...
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #39 of 46
Bottom right, hidden.

I like having it locked to the corner as that way the Trash is always in the corner, no matter how many apps I have open.

Now if I want to delete something I just drag it into the corner and let go.
post #40 of 46
bottom w/ minimal magnification.

locked?... how do you do that?!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Where do you put your dock?