or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel offers new details on Power Mac-bound desktop processors

Intel offers new details on Power Mac-bound desktop processors

post #1 of 51
Speaking to developers at its semiannual developer forum on Tuesday, Intel Corp. shed a few new details on its next-generation multi-core desktop processors, which are destine to turn up inside Apple's first Intel-based Power Mac systems in the second half of the year.

During a keynote presentation, Pat Gelsinger, Intel's senior vice president and general manager of the Digital Enterprise Group, showcased "Conroe," a dual-core desktop processor based on the company's new Core microarchitecture that can reduce power consumption by 40 percent while delivering greater than 40 percent improvements in computing performance.

The chip, which is on track to begin volume shipments in the third quarter of 2006, is the most likely candidate to turn up in Apple's Power Mac professional desktop systems late in the Summer.

Gelsinger revealed that Intel has decided to make Conroe part of its Professional Business Platform -- codenamed Averill. He said the new platform will deliver world-class IT security and manageability capabilities for businesses through the Conroe dual-core processor along with a new chipset codenamed Broadwater, Intel Virtualization Technology and the second generation of Intel Active Management Technology.

Additionally, Intel also announced at the conference that it plans to ship a quadcore processor -- codenamed "Kentsfield" -- for highend desktop PCs in early 2007. However, further details of the chip were not available.

Not coincidentally, Apple Computer also announced on Tuesday that it will hold its annual World Wide Developers Conference in the second half of the year, as opposed to late May or June as it has done in the past.

The conference, set to kick-off on August 7th, is expected to offer Mac OS X developers their first look at the company's next-generation operating system, Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard." It's also expected to yield the first public demonstrations of a Power Mac desktop computer utilizing Intel's Conroe chip.

With Apple's engineering team hard pressed to meet an accelerated Intel transition schedule enforced by chief executive officer Steve Jobs, Intel is reportedly aiding Apple in the development of the first Intel-based Power Mac.
post #2 of 51
40% less watt usage and 40% more power... w00tness! Looking good for my Merom MacBook!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #3 of 51
Now this I cannot wait for.

Finally a new architecture for Intel...hell I love new architectures from anyone.

I think we'll see Conroe at the low and midrange and Woodcrest at the high end.

Finally AMD performance at Intel pricing.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 51

Formatting be damned.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 51
I'm not waiting for quad-cores. Dual-duals will be just fine
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
40% less watt usage and 40% more power... w00tness! Looking good for my Merom MacBook!

That's Conroe compared to Pent D. Merom 20% faster same energy consumption compared to Yonah.

See link below:
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2711&p=4
post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme

How about dual quads DROOOL!!!
post #8 of 51
Ooooh quad-core! Now they're talking..
But as stated above.. Dual-dual would be just fine.

Quote:
Originally posted by rpm16601
How about dual quads DROOOL!!!

Until quad-quad comes out!

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #9 of 51
I'm gonna buy something by September 6th, hopefully it will have some tasty new hardware inside.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #10 of 51
I think it's a sad day if Apple is using the Conroe instead of Woodcrest in a Mac workstation. They should use the XEON equivalent woodcrest.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison

I think we'll see Conroe at the low and midrange and Woodcrest at the high end.

Well if they did include a dual woodcrest for the highend model that would be different.
onlooker

onlooker

post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I think it's a sad day if Apple is using the Conroe instead of Woodcrest in a Mac workstation. They should use the XEON equivalent woodcrest.

ditto. Hopefully, as hmurchison suggested: Conroe at low- and mid- range, and Woodcrest for "the beast".
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #13 of 51
Conroe's already look amazing...Woodcrest will murder the competition but they'll be expensive.
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
With Apple's engineering team hard pressed to meet an accelerated Intel transition schedule enforced by chief executive officer Steve Jobs, Intel is reportedly aiding Apple in the development of the first Intel-based Power Mac.

Oh GOD, not Intel's help. They stick integrated graphics in it for sure!
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
Intel is reportedly aiding Apple in the development of the first Intel-based Power Mac.

...umm, shouldn't that be MacTower?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
...umm, shouldn't that be MacTower?

Or CoreMac...(kormac?).
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Or CoreMac...(kormac?).

Or Macintosh-.. uh.. Macintel?
Heck I dunno anymore. They could call it Macintoilet and someone would buy it.

Jimzip
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Or CoreMac...(kormac?).

that's funnier than making plastics.... i'd just call it "hardCore"!! lol
post #19 of 51
2.66Ghz Conroe slaps the Athlon 64 X2 2.8Ghz around

PWN3D!

A %40 advantage in games and %30+ in media encoding just like that?? Yes we're about to see why Apple said "the hell with IBM"
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #20 of 51
Check this out. Conroe has 128-Bit SSE

However, Conroe will also feature a new 128-bit SSE optimization that will allow all SSE instructions to be completed in a single cycle

My emphasis added. This will likely usurp Altivec as the premier SIMD implementation. Wow single cycle for all instructions. Apple's going to have a field day with this.

And this sound good as well

Furthermore, Rattner announced that Core architecture will have micro-ops fusion (already present on all modern Intel processors), but that the new architecture will also include macro-ops fusion. Essentially, macro-ops fusion takes multiple high level instructions, and combines them into a single instruction. For example a compare and jump instruction can be combined into a single operation.

Ok my next Mac after my mini "has" to have this core. This is the real deal here.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #21 of 51
A very strong reason to hold any computer purchase until late this year or early next year
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme

Probably faster actually. Because of Intel's FSB and lack of onboard memory controller, a quad-core intel chip would be like trying to get 4 fat women through a revolving door at once. Better to have two doors with two fat women.

If Woodcrest is 80% quicker than a Xeon then they may just leapfrog AMD's Opteron, at least in dual and maybe quad format. Probably not after quad though.
post #23 of 51
Quote:
[B]2.66Ghz Conroe slaps the Athlon 64 X2 2.8Ghz around

PWN3D!

I can't believe you're buying Intel's own benchmarks, that they got Anand to perform for them, with machines Intel set -up, behind closed doors. And let Anand "benchmark" them for only ONE HOUR.

Quote:
A %40 advantage in games and %30+ in media encoding just like that??

You said it yourself: just like that? Meanwhile, Hannibal from Ars kinda doubts the results were fair game.

Quote:
Ok, before you click the link I'm about to show you, I encourage you to go to one of those foodie speciality shops in your local upscale mall and buy the very largest grain of exotic salt you can find. Only when you have that grain sitting in the chair next to you are allowed to check out Anand's Intel-provided Conroe benchmarks. Now, go ahead and start working on that salt...

In short, Intel configured two systems for Anand to test, one of which contains a Conroe and the other of which contains an Athlon X2. Unsurprisingly, the Conroe absolutely creamed the Athlon, in every benchmark.

I did indeed enjoy the benchmarks. I also enjoy movies about hobbits and wizards.

Alright alright, I'm being a bit harsh. For the record, I do actually expect Intel to regain the performance crown from the Athlon with Conroe. I've said as much before here at Ars. However, those benchmarks represent a pretty dramatic butt-whuppin' across the board, and such extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Vendor-supplied black-box proof doesn't count.

Let's wait for some independent (as opposed to Intel-configured and dictated) benchmarks and we'll see if those slaps are really slaps, or just more hot air from Intel.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #24 of 51
Quote:
can't believe you're buying Intel's own benchmarks, that they got Anand to perform for them, with machines Intel set -up, behind closed doors. And let Anand "benchmark" them for only ONE HOUR.

Anand's team said they could discern no trickery and that it would be foolish because they'll have shipping hardware in months for a more thorough evaluation.

Quote:
You said it yourself: just like that? Meanwhile, Hannibal from Ars kinda doubts the results were fair game.

I like Hannibal and ARS but Anandtech they are not. Credibility goes to Anandtech first and foremost. Sorry

Quote:
Let's wait for some independent (as opposed to Intel-configured and dictated) benchmarks and we'll see if those slaps are really slaps, or just more hot air from Intel.

Gene you're welcome to wait if you'd like but I believe the benchmarks. The yonah test of a month back showed the chip nipping at the heels of the Athlon then. When you add in double the cache, Micro and Macro fusion, 128-bit single cycle SSE and a 4-issue core vs 3 it's not hard to see why Intel has a winning part here.

In this case I choose to go with my gut rather than FUD from ARS.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #25 of 51
Anand also noted that the fear benchmark was the same one they always use. I believe this is quite a chip
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by howyoudoin
Anand also noted that the fear benchmark was the same one they always use. I believe this is quite a chip

Good point. I forgot that one. I'm most flabbergasted that some peope actually thought that Intel would just sit back and let AMD maintain the lead indefinitely.

Intel new this day was coming 2 yrs ago when they cancelled Tejas. The Israeli design team that delivered Banias and Dothan worked on this core perhaps with India. You could tell Intel wasn't all that nervous, they continued to milk Netburst for all its worth and now they have a core that has years of life in it.

Frankly after looking at this stuff I can see why Jobs was smart to bail from IBM. Yonah can shut down a core and partition L2 cache but Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest seems to be able to shut down more parts of the processor. The SSE has got me salivating. Apple should be all over 128-bit SSE4 in Leopard. I'm thinking we're about to see some very cool stuff coming in at the high end.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #27 of 51
I read the article at anand and it's hard not to be impressed. Wonder how it compares to opteron?
post #28 of 51
This is looking like a great year to buy a new Mac Workstation.
Even Conroe looks promising, and I was not excited about this processor in a Mac Tower art all. I think/hope we see both Conroe, and Woodcrest processors in the next Mac Workstation/ Towers. Single, and dual socket options for both processors.
onlooker

onlooker

post #29 of 51
So back to 32-bit processing in the Tower?

Suppose it will save everyone money in the long run, not having to pay for more than 2gb of ram.

- Xidius
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by >_>
So back to 32-bit processing in the Tower?

Suppose it will save everyone money in the long run, not having to pay for more than 2gb of ram.

- Xidius

Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest are all EM64T procs. 64-Bit through and through.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest are all EM64T procs. 64-Bit through and through.

Phew.

Ooooo... 64-bit Macbook Pro.. Can't wait!

- Xidius
post #32 of 51
Quote:
64-Bit through and through.

Yeah, a bad copy of AMD64. Through and through.
post #33 of 51
Quote:

However, Conroe will also feature a new 128-bit SSE optimization that will allow all SSE instructions to be completed in a single cycle

SSE was always 128-bit. The only change is with the NGMA they are completed in one cycle, which is a big change mind you.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #34 of 51
I must say that last year when Apple announced they were going Intel I felt betrayed and very angry. But, these announcements look INCREDIBLE! I will have try these first but I take a little Texas Pete with my crow
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Yeah, a bad copy of AMD64. Through and through.

What is your deal? Apple, and Intel are looking more promising that many expected vs. AMD, and now possibly even in the lead with Woodcrest vs Opteron, and your all hot, and negative about it.

I'm excited regardless. It's a Mac year.
onlooker

onlooker

post #36 of 51
CPUs at least as fast as the AMDs and at half the wattage . F@H have neever looked as sweet8)
post #37 of 51
Quote:

My emphasis added. This will likely usurp Altivec as the premier SIMD implementation. Wow single cycle for all instructions. Apple's going to have a field day with this.

I think I said something, a few months ago, about how Intel would inevitably integrate a proper vector processor more similar to Altivec. This is great news, since it means that going from the G5 to the Intel powermac won't make my 3D rendering & mathematical simulations run slower.

now, if only there were two vector cores per cpu core. . .
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
I think I said something, a few months ago, about how Intel would inevitably integrate a proper vector processor more similar to Altivec. This is great news, since it means that going from the G5 to the Intel powermac won't make my 3D rendering & mathematical simulations run slower.

now, if only there were two vector cores per cpu core. . .

News flash: AltiVec has always had all instructions in one clock cycle. And it has 4x as many architected registers (really important for optimization). And it has better instructions (fused multiply-add, data driven permute, more flexible unified integer/float type support).

Yes its about time that Intel improved their SSE implementation to be competitive, no it doesn't eclipse AltiVec. Sadly we may never see where IBM or Motorola could have taken AltiVec's superior design. Ah well.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #39 of 51
Ahhhh man I got my bits and bytes mixed up.

I was thinking that Altivec was 64-bit. What's needed is a 256-bit SIMD implementation. Or at the least a 128-bit implementation that can process double precision in once cycle.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #40 of 51
Quote:
What's needed is a 256-bit SIMD implementation. Or at the least a 128-bit implementation that can process double precision in once cycle.

Well, one of SSE's only clear advantages over Altivec is that it processes double-precision floats at all. Altivec is single-precision only (see last page of this PDF), whereas SSE2 and SSE3 can process double-precision data.

Does the single-cycle improvement that is coming from Intel not apply to double-precision SSE?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel offers new details on Power Mac-bound desktop processors