or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › This Forum's Search Sucks.

This Forum's Search Sucks.

post #1 of 46
As of just a few weeks ago, the Search for this forum is consistently horrible.

Look at this post of mine.

Now do a standard forum search for Foucault, Foucault*, Foucault's, Pendulum, etc. using "any date" "search all open forums" "search entire posts."

It won't come up. I can hardly find anything anymore, and in other posts, both other users and I have mistakenly posted that the forums have been whittled down. But it's not that. The old posts are there, they're just nearly impossible to find.

Oh, BTW: images in AI articles are still incompatible with Camino and Firefox. Come on, guys, that's so Microsoft. WTF?

--B

post #2 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by bergz
Oh, BTW: images in AI articles are still incompatible with Camino and Firefox. Come on, guys, that's so Microsoft. WTF?

I don't know what's wrong with you/your browser, but AI images work fine in Firefox for me. Make sure Firefox isn't blocking images from Appleinsider.com
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
I don't know what's wrong with you/your browser

That's nice.

Nope, I have no sites blocking anything. I have tried allowing AI as an exception and that doesn't work either. Only happens with AI.

I have also tried ctrl-click-->View Image and I get

400 Bad Request
Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request.

I'm using Deer Park 1.5.

--B

post #4 of 46
Quote:
Look at this post of mine.

Now do a standard forum search for Foucault, Foucault*, Foucault's, Pendulum, etc. using "any date" "search all open forums" "search entire posts."

It won't come up.
--B

All of those search terms work fine for me. Select the radio button "Show as posts".
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
All of those search terms work fine for me. Select the radio button "Show as posts".

Changing this button seems to have worked in this case. And while I still don't understand why that button would cause me to get different results, Search is still not working well for me.

Here I have a post with the term "pooped", however I cannot find it using any combination of settings in the search.

When I do a search for "longhorn*" it shows me 23 posts and 10 different threads. Total. Is that right? This happens to me with Camino, Firefox, Safari all running on 10.3.9.

I would very much appreciate some help in these two regards (the search and the images). If it is in fact my machine, is there something I can do?

--B

post #6 of 46
Quote:

I would very much appreciate some help in these two regards (the search and the images). If it is in fact my machine, is there something I can do?

The search wouldn't have anything to do with your machine since that's all handled by the AI server, and i doesn't matter what platform/browser is being used to access it. When I use Firefox, I'm using Windows (I use Safari on the Mac), which I suppose could have something to do with it.
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
The search wouldn't have anything to do with your machine since that's all handled by the AI server, and i doesn't matter what platform/browser is being used to access it. When I use Firefox, I'm using Windows (I use Safari on the Mac), which I suppose could have something to do with it.

This is very strange, and like I say, I get the same search results on 3 browsers. Haven't tried IE, though. \

--B

post #8 of 46
Quote:

Bueller? Mods?

--B

post #9 of 46
Search has been borked for a while.

No response from the forum gurus may just be because they can't find your post.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #10 of 46
The forum needs to be re-indexed.

Doing so will mean downtime.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
The forum needs to be re-indexed.

Doing so will mean downtime.

OK. Thanks. You too, Curio.

Hey, why don't you guys reindex when the site's inaccessible, Oh, I don't know, in about 12 days?

--B

post #12 of 46
Quote:
OK. Thanks. You too, Curio.

Hey, why don't you guys reindex when the site's inaccessible, Oh, I don't know, in about 12 days?

--B

It's a good thought.
post #13 of 46
The search needs to be fixed already. It is very frustrating.

Today I entered "finder" without quotes as a query and got 20 post results in 9 threads.

AI is no longer a valid knowledge base. I can no longer troubleshoot any problems without opening up a new thread. This causes multiple threads to be created on the same topic and tires the AI faithful. I know that I am not the only user who is fed up with this situation. You've had plenty of time to reindex the forum.

Please do something to fix this glaring blot on this forum.

--B

post #14 of 46
"rdf"

5 posts in 4 threads, all in 2006.

--B

post #15 of 46
"Saturn"

0 results... as threads, as posts, inside threads, or titles only... all permutations give no result.

I started the Exploration thread in AO (and a Mars thread - which only shows 4 unrelated results from PO??).

Neither (multi-page, 100+ response threads) show in search.

The results page does have ads though.

Nice to know what's important here.
post #16 of 46
"Cupertino" did not exist, apparently, prior to 04-27-2006.

"Jaguar" shows up in one post.

The "WTC" is nearly forgotten, sadly, as it only shows up in one PO post.

I will periodically keep you mods updated on the results of my continued investigation into this matter.

Sorry about that, Curio. Saturn was a swell planet while it lasted.

--B

post #17 of 46
I pretty much gave up on AI's search function a while ago. I was hoping the re-indexing would work...but it didn't.

fwiw, bergz, I realized the search wasn't working when I searched for a post I made on Foucault's Pendulum as well. Eerie.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #18 of 46
Updating to a vBulletin version that isn't four years old might be an idea anyhow. If only for security reasons.
post #19 of 46
Search Update 05/14/06:

"Wozniak" = 0 posts in 0 threads.

"Quicksilver" = 0 posts in 0 threads.

"creature speakers" = 0 posts in 0 threads.

709: you're freaking me out...

--B

post #20 of 46
I'm cool with a reindex, so long as we get some advance warning. If I know a few days ahead that the site will be down for a specific time period, I'll find something else to do. My suggestion: Do it over a weekend.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #21 of 46
2 weeks ago, I performed (at night) two reindex and it gave no results. I guess we have to move to the lattest version of VB to see an improvement.
post #22 of 46
Update 05/16/06:

"tangerine" is not a flavor.

"QuickTake" seems to have been taken.

Mike "Markkula" took the money and done run.

--B

post #23 of 46
Hey bergz, we get it. Thanks.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Hey bergz, we get it. Thanks.

It's not you who needs to get it, CN.

The situation has not improved since February at the very least.

That's a lot of ad revenue.

Quote:
$160.00 each
Bulk Prices
vBulletin (Owned License)
The owned vBulletin Forum license allows you to run the software on your site indefinitely. Along with this license, you will receive one year of free updates. Beyond the first year, you will have to pay a nominal fee, currently $30, to obtain updates for an additional year.

This license includes free email and forum support. Phone Support is not included in the license price but may be purchased for an additional cost either at the time of initial purchase, or afterwards through the members' area.
\t
$85.00 each
Bulk Prices
vBulletin (Leased License)
The leased vBulletin Forum license allows you to use the software on your site for 1 year and gives you access to products updates for that year. After 1 year, you must renew your license or remove the software from your site.

This license includes free email and forum support. Phone Support is not included in the license price but may be purchased for an additional cost either at the time of initial purchase, or afterwards through the members' area.
\t
1 month\t$60.00
6 months\t$180.00
12 months\t$300.00
vBulletin Phone Support
Purchasing a phone support contract will provide you access to toll-free (US/Canada only) phone support from 9 - 5 PST (GMT -8), Monday to Friday during the length of your contract.

Note: Included in all vBulletin forum licenses is email and forum support.

--B

post #25 of 46
Quote:
It's not you who needs to get it, CN.

The situation has not improved since February at the very least.

Your incessant whining and continuation to point out what you can't find isn't going to make the admins any more likely to fix the problem any faster. They're aware of it and probably doing things behind the scenes to see what they can do. Until we hear more, chill for a bit.
post #26 of 46
You could be wrong.

post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
You could be wrong.

Or not.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Or not.

I take this to mean that my "incessant whining" will not make you admins fix it any faster.

I do not interpret this to mean that you are, in fact, doing things behind the scenes to fix it. Do I misinterpret your cryptic post?

My vigilance continues. It's one thread. Ignore it if you like. Lock it if you like as soon as the problem is fixed or we have news of further efforts to do so. Otherwise, get off my CosmoNutz.

Can't find "StyleWriter", "Claris", and there is only ONE thread with "DOGCOW".

--B

post #29 of 46
Quote:
I take this to mean that my "incessant whining" will not make you admins fix it any faster.

I do not interpret this to mean that you are, in fact, doing things behind the scenes to fix it. Do I misinterpret your cryptic post?

My vigilance continues. It's one thread. Ignore it if you like. Lock it if you like as soon as the problem is fixed or we have news of further efforts to do so. Otherwise, get off my CosmoNutz.

Can't find "StyleWriter", "Claris", and there is only ONE thread with "DOGCOW".

--B

What it means is that the problem with the database is being looked at but it is more than just a reindexing that is needed.

We will be upgrading to the new version of vBulletin. Before we do that, though, the database issue must be resolved or we'll be left with shiny new forum software and a database that continues to suck.

I feel your pain. This situation makes it difficult to moderate, too.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Or not.

I was really just poking fun at Cosmo's sig, but that's indeed good to know.

I figured at least you and Powerdoc were looking into it, since you two are the only ones that have addressed the problem personally (which I thank you both for), but I remember how difficult it was to get the Supreme Overlords to do much wrt the forums side of AI. I'm glad that seems to be changing.

Good luck with the vB upgrade.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
I was really just poking fun at Cosmo's sig, but that's indeed good to know.

I chose my sig carefully.
post #32 of 46
Quote:
What it means is that the problem with the database is being looked at but it is more than just a reindexing that is needed.

We will be upgrading to the new version of vBulletin. Before we do that, though, the database issue must be resolved or we'll be left with shiny new forum software and a database that continues to suck.

I feel your pain. This situation makes it difficult to moderate, too.

Any news PD or AP? Just wondering if there's been any progress.

I'm also bumping the thread because it's getting harder to find. "search" brings it up as a result but "sucks" and "search sucks" don't.

--B

post #33 of 46
"Thanks" 0 posts in 0 threads

"for" 0 posts in 0 threads

"the" 0 posts in 0 threads

"help". 0 posts in 0 threads

"--B" 0 posts in 0 threads

post #34 of 46
"bergz" 2 many posts in 1 thread.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
"bergz" 2 many posts in 1 thread.

You're right. Kinda lonely in here. Maybe a mod would like to join in more actively. It's been 2.5 weeks since audiopollution outlined what needed to be done. I just wanted to know if any steps had been taken. Is this thread such a thorn in your complacent side, CN?

--B

post #36 of 46
I'm just wondering what the hell you're searching for so much. I use the search MAYBE once every 6 months.
post #37 of 46
If I have a problem with my machine that I recall was solved in another thread, or that I think might have happened to someone else, I search before posting, something that everyone should do before posting on an online forum in order to reduce multiple threads on the same topic. I stated this up above:

"I can no longer troubleshoot any problems without opening up a new thread. This causes multiple threads to be created on the same topic and tires the AI faithful."

The first line from benjamin_r's sticky in Future HW:

"Please check through this forum for the subject you want to post before making a new and un-necessary topic if one already exists."

--B

post #38 of 46
There ARE other resources all over the interweb that you can search to find help, too.

Last time I checked, Google still works.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
There ARE other resources all over the interweb that you can search to find help, too.

Last time I checked, Google still works.

Make that last post a sticky. Better yet, make it a subhead underneath AppleInsider.

AppleInsider: There are other resources. Why not just Google instead?

Come to us for help. We can't fix our forum, so plug site:forums.appleinsider.com into google and we're a valid knowledge base. Does that inspire confidence or what?

--B

post #40 of 46
Quote:
Make that last post a sticky. Better yet, make it a subhead underneath AppleInsider.

Stop being a jackass. There's more to AppleInsider than being able to search the forums adequately. People start threads and discuss them until they fade away. Take a look around and read what's interesting. Hundreds of regular users manage to get around this site just fine without search working correctly.

If you need information on something THAT BADLY and you can't find it here, open up a new tab in your little web browser and do a Google search or go to Apple's support site. This is not the only site on the internet, you know.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › This Forum's Search Sucks.