or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Winner announced in Windows XP on Intel Mac contest

Winner announced in Windows XP on Intel Mac contest - Page 3

post #81 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Since this requires legitimate XP discs (or at least doesn't require pirated discs like OSX86 does), Redmond shouldn't care.

MS licenses Vindows for just one machine. After installing, it either calls home to register, or you have to do it manually.

The question is whether this was a new purchase, or one that was already installed somewhere else.

You are allowed to reverse engineer a product to get it to work with something else, but you are not allowed to install it on two machines.

It's tough to know what MS would say if this was a new purchase.
post #82 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
MS licenses Vindows for just one machine. After installing, it either calls home to register, or you have to do it manually.

The question is whether this was a new purchase, or one that was already installed somewhere else.

You are allowed to reverse engineer a product to get it to work with something else, but you are not allowed to install it on two machines.

It's tough to know what MS would say if this was a new purchase.

they should get real excited about all the new sales of winblows...
go with the flow
go with the flow
post #83 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by ibuzz
they should get real excited about all the new sales of winblows...

Yeah, exactly.
post #84 of 113
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here. I swithed a year ago with a mac mini and loved it. Last week I talked my girlfriend into buying a 17inch imac core duo and I must say its amazing.

I do however miss certain apps from XP so I have managed to follow Narf's instuctions to dual boot.

Its the fastest that I have seen XP go !

I do know that I will be using Tiger 95% of the time but its nice to have the choice.

I thought that i'd let you guys know that it does work well.

Thanks
Never trust an ethiopian with a double chin.
Never trust an ethiopian with a double chin.
post #85 of 113
For those adventurous souls that want to dual boot Windows I happened across this website over at Arestechnica.

Good luck.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #86 of 113
I wonder how Microsoft is feeling about all this. I mean, knowing VPC runs on the PowerPC processors, they're obviously okay with their OS running on a mac (hey, they're gonna cling to whatever revenue they can get) but with all the modifications you have to do to XP to get it to run on an Intel mac... could lead to a bit of conflict...
i paid for my mac by fixing people's windows machines.
i paid for my mac by fixing people's windows machines.
post #87 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by MiG
I wonder how Microsoft is feeling about all this. I mean, knowing VPC runs on the PowerPC processors, they're obviously okay with their OS running on a mac (hey, they're gonna cling to whatever revenue they can get) but with all the modifications you have to do to XP to get it to run on an Intel mac... could lead to a bit of conflict...

That's true, it could. But, it depends on what they're doing. They seem to be modifying the boot loader, not the OS itself. If that's so, then it might not be a problem for MS.

In fact, if that's all it really requires, it's possible that MS might decide to offer that themselves. If so, it wouldn't require that another PC be involved. Even if they don't, others might come up with a way around that, that doesn't actually involve modifying any of MS's codenow that they know how it can be done.

Also, for those about to try this, the lack of a video driver for the 1600 is only a problem if you are going to play 3D games, or do work that involves 3D transformations.

For 2D work, it seems to be just fine. The performance doesn't "jump out" at you, but it's quite usable. A friend did this, and it's surprising at just how fast even the video is after using VPC. No comparison at all!

Audio works through the headphone out, so all is not lost there either.

I suspect that by the time the developers convention rolls around, most, if not all of these problems will have been solved.
post #88 of 113
Anybody know if Service Pack 4 (SP4) can be used instead of (SP2) ??? I'm gonna try and make a slipstream CD. Problem is, I got no Macintel to test it on
post #89 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Anybody know if Service Pack 4 (SP4) can be used instead of (SP2) ??? I'm gonna try and make a slipstream CD. Problem is, I got no Macintel to test it on

You seem to putting the cart before the horse.
post #90 of 113
Yeah. Considering aborting the project at this stage
post #91 of 113
The idea was make the slipstreamCD, then try and activate some local apple dealers/ enthusiast contacts to try and do the install.
post #92 of 113
I would expect a Mac App will eventually be released that will handle the entire process, including slipstreaming an XP CD and partitioning your HD. Its not here yet, but a shareware developer could get pretty far with this or at least parts of the process.

I think that if Windows users actually start using a setup like this, they will less and less frequently boot in to Windows and will become full Mac converts if they can.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #93 of 113
Well theres really some tremendous potential here, isnt there. The only danger is some legal smackdown, however senseless, from the big boys (well, Microsoft, because Apple has publicly said it doesnt care).
post #94 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
I would expect a Mac App will eventually be released that will handle the entire process, including slipstreaming an XP CD and partitioning your HD. Its not here yet, but a shareware developer could get pretty far with this or at least parts of the process.

Rightly so. A simple GUI that guides you through the whole process step by step. All you'll need is XP install disks and maybe an external HD to keep the systems separate. It would be nice to be able to run Office XP now and again.
post #95 of 113
Quote:
Well theres really some tremendous potential here, isnt there.

Without a doubt.
proud resident of a failed state
post #96 of 113
Quote:

There is no XP service pack 4 that I've heard.
post #97 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
There is no XP service pack 4 that I've heard.

He must be talking about Win2k. XP is on SP2.
post #98 of 113
I'm pretty sure that by the time the new PowerMac equivalent comes out later this year, and possibly a fair amount sooner (perhaps in time for the dev conf), most of these problems will be solved. There is already a section on Sourceforge that is being setup that will be devoted to this issue.

You just know that there are a lot of open source programmers on both the Mac AND PC side that will be working on this.

This might be the first time that both Mac and PC people have the same goal!
post #99 of 113
Originally posted by groverat

*slaps head* duh. okay, you are right there..... my neighbour still has my Win XP cd!! arghhgh ... but i don't have a macintel anyway so, ah well....
post #100 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat

*slaps head* duh. okay, you are right there..... my neighbour still has my Win XP cd!! arghhgh ... but i don't have a macintel anyway so, ah well....

You better get yourself back in the jungle. you were doing better there!
post #101 of 113
Quote:
You just know that there are a lot of open source programmers on both the Mac AND PC side that will be working on this.

Oh, open source? They suck.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #102 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Oh, open source? They suck.

How else do you expect this will be done?

Nothing wrong with open source programmers. they work in the same companies that every other programmer works for.
post #103 of 113
Quote:
[B]How else do you expect this will be done?

It was sarcasm.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with open source programmers. they work in the same companies that every other programmer works for.

Well, nothing wrong with them... now.
post #104 of 113
Quote:
[B]It was sarcasm.

Ok,fair enough.

Quote:
Well, nothing wrong with them... now.

post #105 of 113
The comedy of the previous few posts is totally lost on me. And yes, I am *still* in the jungles.

Is it just me or wouldn't the Mac dealers be so all over this. They'd be chomping at the bit to sell the Macs as, "Hey, you can run Windows XP too, so, no risk to try out this Mac thing". Only thing is the support issues this would conjure up.
post #106 of 113
Mel don't give Gene a pass on that!

Quote:
It was sarcasm.

Oh, yea, sure, that was most definitely sarcasm!

FYI: Now, that was sarcasm!

Here's a 101 on sarcasm for all the sarcasm impaired individuals.

Statement: "Oh, open source? They suck."

Isn't sarcastic, it's just rude... *edit* Okay after re-reading I do admit it *could* be sarcastic if in fact Gene is really trying to say 'open source is good' it just doesn't come across that well when written (typed).

Open source is bad sarcastic comments:

Statement: "Oh, open source? Fantastic, I'll be waiting with bells on"
Statement: "Oh, open source? Fantastic-freakin-tastic, I can hardly wait!"
Statement: "Oh, open source? Wonderful, simply wonderful!"
Statement: "Oh, open source? Praise the heavens, we're saved!"

Open source is good sarcastic comments:

Statement: "Oh, open source? Oh no, we're doomed, we're doomed!"
Statement: "Oh, open source? Eeek! Run away, run away!"
Statement: "Oh, open source? Nothing good could ever come from that!"

Notice how the words almost 'drip' as you say them?

And that my friends is how sarcasm is supposed to work!
Oh and I can hardly wait to hear from all the people who feel the need to correct me on sarcasm. (*)

* Also sarcasm - See how EASY it is, once you get the hang of it?

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #107 of 113
Sarcasm is like humor - if you have to explain that you just did it, you failed.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #108 of 113
Ok biatches. Word up. Burning my XP-for-Intel-Mac "slipstream CD" right now. NOW I NEED TO F***** TEST IT!!!! Hopefully somewhere in these jungles someone will be willing to let me try it out (hey it will benefit them too and the dealers as well....) BTW I am kidding somewhat Malaysia is not that primitive there is a user group here: http://mymug.org/about.htm

So I'll try and get this community to try the XP DualBoot Install.
post #109 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Sarcasm is like humor - if you have to explain that you just did it, you failed.

Profound.
post #110 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
*edit* Okay after re-reading I do admit it *could* be sarcastic if in fact Gene is really trying to say 'open source is good' it just doesn't come across that well when written (typed).[/B]

Gene was just trying to say that there's a hint of irony in expecting open source programmers to be the ones that achieve (and already did, narf's work is open, even if he got paid for it) what others clearly expect them to, when those others not long ago were making fun of them, their programming abilities, and apparently, their lack of 'taste' for icons.

All of this notwithstanding, it was a small nab at melgross, and nothing meant in a mean way as evidenced by my explaining it so there's no confusion. Though, it appears that, explaining that what you said was meant as a joke means that... you failed at it. Oh well, at least now I know.
post #111 of 113
Quote:
Gene was just trying to say that there's a hint of irony in expecting open source programmers to be the ones that achieve (and already did, narf's work is open, even if he got paid for it) what others clearly expect them to, when those others not long ago were making fun of them, their programming abilities, and apparently, their lack of 'taste' for icons.

All of this notwithstanding, it was a small nab at melgross, and nothing meant in a mean way as evidenced by my explaining it so there's no confusion. Though, it appears that, explaining that what you said was meant as a joke means that... you failed at it. Oh well, at least now I know.

At me! Now, why would ANYONE want to do that?
post #112 of 113
I STILL have no idea what the frack you guys are going on about Ah, well...
post #113 of 113
So, has anyone here read Maccentral's report on installing this thing?

Not fot the fainthearted, that's for sure.

Something has better be done to ease this in, otherwise it will be useless for most people.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firs...mini/index.php
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Winner announced in Windows XP on Intel Mac contest