or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Where are the Birthday Invitations ??

Where are the Birthday Invitations ??

post #1 of 90
Apple are leaving it a bit late if they are planning anything at the end of the month. I would of thought those cryptic invitation cards would have gone out by now. Perhaps its going to be in the first week of April, rahter than late March.
post #2 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by xflare
Apple are leaving it a bit late if they are planning anything at the end of the month. I would of thought those cryptic invitation cards would have gone out by now. Perhaps its going to be in the first week of April, rahter than late March.

Actual in apple's case now would be too early! One week is plenty notice, that would be on tuesday, and if April 4th that's 2 ½ weeks away!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 90
Actually Apple seems to send the invitations about a week in advance so I wouldn't be surprised to see one early next week.
post #4 of 90
My money is on next Tuesday

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

post #5 of 90
You know, it might be wise to consider the possibility that there *won't* be an event for Apple's birthday.
post #6 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by xflare
Perhaps its going to be in the first week of April, rahter than late March.

I believe Steve will be in India the first week of April:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1591
Quote:
According to a report in CIOL IT Unlimited, Jobs is likely to visit the Bangalore site during the first week of April.
post #7 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by FreeState
I believe Steve will be in India the first week of April:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1591

Did you ever hear of a thing called an airplane!
post #8 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Did you ever hear of a thing called an aeroplane!

That's not an airplane....

That's Steve's Gulfstream V

Cost Apple 90 million dollars!!

post #9 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
That's not an airplane....

That's Steve's Gulfstream V

Cost Apple 90 million dollars!!

The iPlane!
post #10 of 90
Steve is gonna need a new plane...

After all, it would not be prudent to continue traveling in a G5 while the company is transitioning to Intel...

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #11 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
Steve is gonna need a new plane...

After all, it would not be prudent to continue traveling in a G5 while the company is transitioning to Intel...

;^p

Indeed!

Maybe a MacPlane Jet Duo?
post #12 of 90
So the special event will be March 28th ?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #13 of 90
looking into my apple event crystal ball i see...

"your guess is as good as mine"

huh since when did this thing start having a sense of sarcasm?
post #14 of 90
Just talked to Steve via video iChat. Sorry to say that you losers are not invited. At least he got a good laugh when I mentioned your names. Phil Schiller laughed so hard he nearly spit Kool Aid all over his iSight. You know Phil, though, anything for a good iChat gag. I better get packing since they are sending the Gulfstream to pick me up. Wish I could tell you more about the date and what all is planned, but I was sworn to secrecy by a NDA.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #15 of 90
It's not going live. He's going to be in India. It'll be a 1-hour recorded show on NBC Prime Time showing all the advantages of OS X.

--B

post #16 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by bergz
It's not going live. He's going to be in India. It'll be a 1-hour recorded show on NBC Prime Time showing all the advantages of OS X.

--B

That is exactly what Apple needs...

And then slap that same recorded show into rotation on all of the NBC family of channels...

Move it into late-night rotation with the infomercial crowd...

Kinda like that old family-oriented sitcomish/dramaesque Performa infomercial from 'back in the day'...

I watched that thing more times than I should probably mention...

But it was cool, and it was showing the Mac and what all it could do for an entire extended family...

And that was about 10+ years ago...

Imagine what they could do now...

So it's settled then?

Heavy rotation 'science/tech brief' meets 'blatent yet entertaining infomercial'...?!?

Great idea!

Run with it, Stev-o...

;^p

(sorry about all the line breaks folks, just the mood I was in)
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #17 of 90
Quote:
That is exactly what Apple needs...

And then slap that same recorded show into rotation on all of the NBC family of channels...

Move it into late-night rotation with the infomercial crowd...

Kinda like that old family-oriented sitcomish/dramaesque Performa infomercial from 'back in the day'...

I watched that thing more times than I should probably mention...

But it was cool, and it was showing the Mac and what all it could do for an entire extended family...

And that was about 10+ years ago...

Imagine what they could do now...

So it's settled then?

Heavy rotation 'science/tech brief' meets 'blatent yet entertaining infomercial'...?!?

Great idea!

Run with it, Stev-o...

;^p

(sorry about all the line breaks folks, just the mood I was in)

I don't think Apple will whore themselves out to those levels.
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
post #18 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanh
I don't think Apple will whore themselves out to those levels.

It is called advertising, people do it every day...

The point I was trying to make is that Apple COULD come up with a half hour infomercial which would be entertaining & engaging, while still educating the general public on the benefits of Mac OS X & Apple computers...

You bed the entire "this is the cool stuff iLife does/this is the awesome presentations & materials iWork does/look how cool OS X is for multimedia" messages into a bogus sitcom/drama to push the sell just that extra bit...

Think of the commercials you see for M$ Windows as of late... You always see the subject talking about what he/she could do with their Windows box... the Apple version would actually SHOW the subject working getting results...

So on & so forth...

Again, advertising, something Apple really needs to move forward...

The general public needs to see Apple hardware & software just working...

If that is 'whoring' to you, oh well...

Then just don't watch 'my' infomercials...

(bet you would, though, and more than once)
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #19 of 90
Apple can do a much better job of advertising than an info-mercial.

Like the Powermac G5 add with the guy blown out of his house.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=895y4p__XCI&search=powermac

Do stuff like that but then direct people towards the Apple site and make more videos like the 10.4 introduction video.
post #20 of 90
I just recieved a birthday invitation!

My friend is 25.
Imagine that, a quarter of a century........amazing!
post #21 of 90
Quote:
Like the Powermac G5 add with the guy blown out of his house.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=895y4p__XCI&search=powermac

What an informative commercial!

--B

post #22 of 90
Quote:
What an informative commercial!

--B

I'm no stranger to sarcasm.

I'm just not sold on the idea that having Apple evangelicize their own products in a large public setting like an infomercial type show and gaining a significant mind-share of consumers from it.
post #23 of 90
Quote:
I'm no stranger to sarcasm.

I'm just not sold on the idea that having Apple evangelicize their own products in a large public setting like an infomercial type show and gaining a significant mind-share of consumers from it.

I think an infomercial would be rather tasteless... does anyone even watch those things? (Or more importantly, anyone that might actually consider buying an Apple?)

And another thing: why would Apple need to evangelize their own products? We do plenty of that for them.
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #24 of 90
Being relatively new to the whole Mac World ... what is all this birthday business?

I know it's Apple's 30th anniversary, but i've no idea what all these invitations and celebrations are about
post #25 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by smclintock
Being relatively new to the whole Mac World ... what is all this birthday business?

I know it's Apple's 30th anniversary, but i've no idea what all these invitations and celebrations are about

Invitations for the press inviting them to the [as of now] phantom special event in which Apple will announce the greatest goddamned thing you have ever seen in your life and will probably drop between 300 and 3000 dollars on it.
post #26 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dirk
I think an infomercial would be rather tasteless... does anyone even watch those things? (Or more importantly, anyone that might actually consider buying an Apple?)

And another thing: why would Apple need to evangelize their own products? We do plenty of that for them.

You would be surprised who actually watches infomercials...

And an infomercial, done right, can deliver WAY more info than a 30 to 60 second commercial...

Obviously, none of the folks here naysaying the infomercial angle have seen the old Performa infomercial... That was done right...
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #27 of 90
Quote:

And an infomercial, done right, can deliver WAY more info than a 30 to 60 second commercial...

ANY commercial can give more info than Apple's ('xcept the Performa, ok?). Look! Gyrating silhouettes! A tank next to a computer! Spinning candy-colored iMacs! A groovy flat screen that can dance!

Conclusion: That OS must be hella safe and easy to use.

Apple: The fun computer computer company.

--B

post #28 of 90
Quote:
ANY commercial can give more info than Apple's ('xcept the Performa, ok?). Look! Gyrating silhouettes! A tank next to a computer! Spinning candy-colored iMacs! A groovy flat screen that can dance!

Conclusion: That OS must be hella safe and easy to use.

Apple: The fun computer computer company.

--B

That's what I am saying, a short 'normal' commercial isn't gonna cut it in delivering the message of how great OS X & company is...

So we fall back on the longer format of the infomercial...

Some say it is 'whoring'...

Over on Madison Avenue they just call it advertising...

;^p
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #29 of 90
Quote:

Well, of course... a commercial only leaves you with an impression of a product/company/whatever, and perhaps a curiosity to learn more (if done right). But I'm just not sure the "cool factor" would be there with an infomercial.

What about the advertising that was done for Tiger? I guess I'm specifically talking about ads on websites like finance.yahoo.com that highlighted Dashboard and its stock quote thing... I thought those were pretty effective in terms of communicating a specific, unique feature.
post #30 of 90
I was in an Apple Store yesterday, talking to an Apple employee about the MacBook Pro. I said that I was unsure of the 15-inch MacBook considering I got one DOA, and all of the noises, networking + wireless issues, blown right speaker, etc. and would like to see what comes of the 17-inch version, since I already have a 17-inch PowerBook. He alluded to "stuff" coming out April 1st. When I think back upon the coversation, the Apple guy said "April 1st" and not "around April 1st." Curious. I don't think they know more than the average guy, although now that this transition to Intel is underway, maybe they have a heads-up so they can avoid pissed off customers.
post #31 of 90
Saturday would be different...
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #32 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I was in an Apple Store yesterday, talking to an Apple employee about the MacBook Pro. I said that I was unsure of the 15-inch MacBook considering I got one DOA, and all of the noises, networking + wireless issues, blown right speaker, etc. and would like to see what comes of the 17-inch version, since I already have a 17-inch PowerBook. He alluded to "stuff" coming out April 1st. When I think back upon the coversation, the Apple guy said "April 1st" and not "around April 1st." Curious. I don't think they know more than the average guy, although now that this transition to Intel is underway, maybe they have a heads-up so they can avoid pissed off customers.

He has access to the same information we all do. Apple is surprisingly tight-lipped, even to their store employees.
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
post #33 of 90
Ive been seeing lots (I MEAN LOTS) of advertisements for the new imac and macbook pro on gamespot.com. Small things, that drop a hint of ilife, and everything you can do...just don't mention how safe the OS is!
post #34 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Animal Farm
He has access to the same information we all do. Apple is surprisingly tight-lipped, even to their store employees.

Not if they are making everybody come in that day. The employees may not know why they will be there, but schedules do have to be made and posted in advance.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #35 of 90
I have a friend in a sandwich shop that said that his friend was in a bar and he met an apple employee who had another friend who was in the press department and this friend said that the event will be on a monday.

post #36 of 90
Steve Jobs and I celebrate our birthdays on the same date (fuh real!). But last Feb. he told me that we should postpone our joint celebration until April 1st. I thought he was joking b/c of April Fools, but then I remembered the whole anniversary thing. So this year Apple, Steve and I will share our birthday celebration.

I wonder what Apple will get me...

--B

post #37 of 90
Quote:
Steve Jobs and I celebrate our birthdays on the same date (fuh real!). But last Feb. he told me that we should postpone our joint celebration until April 1st. I thought he was joking b/c of April Fools, but then I remembered the whole anniversary thing. So this year Apple, Steve and I will share our birthday celebration.

I wonder what Apple will get me...

--B

A De-Luxe Apple StraightJacket w/Bondi Blue anodized metal accents...?!?

Because that's some CrazyTalk up there...
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #38 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
I have a friend in a sandwich shop that said that his friend was in a bar and he met an apple employee who had another friend who was in the press department and this friend said that the event will be on a monday.

post #39 of 90
Seems pretty clear at this point that there will NOT be a Birthday event.

My prediction is 2 fold:

1. Apple Stores around the country are decorated for a 'Birthday' Party on Saturday, and have special promotions/giveaways.

2. Apple releases a 'Special Edition' iMac in Black on that day. Quietly, with a simple update to the website.

Why?

They got burned with the response to the last event not including 'big' enough news to warrant calling in the press. They don't want to 'cry wolf' again and risk deflating future press event hype. They should do something, and the iMac is the product that most represents the company right now (other than the iPod).

the only other option is the release of the 13" MacBook Core Solo.
post #40 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Sport73
Seems pretty clear at this point that there will NOT be a Birthday event.

I think it's still too early to call. I think if we don't hear anything by Tuesday, March 28, then we'll be out of luck.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Where are the Birthday Invitations ??