or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's MacBook Pro wait times improve significantly

Apple's MacBook Pro wait times improve significantly

post #1 of 51
Apple Computer is addressing backlog of its new Intel-based MacBook Pro professional notebooks as quickly as possible and now looks poised to reach an overall supply and demand balance early next month.

The company's online store now lists estimated wait times for both the 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz models at 7-10 business days, down from 2-3 weeks earlier this month and 4 weeks in late February.

Apple's online store isn't the only outlet to reflect these improvements. According to tipsters, MacBook Pro orders placed earlier in the year through Amazon.com were originally given estimated ship times of late April. Therefore, tipsters were incredibly surprised when they began receiving shipment confirmations on their orders earlier this month.

In fact, Amazon.com now lists the 2.0GHz MacBook Pro as being in stock and shipping within 24 hours, and is also offering a $150 rebate on this model, bringing the total cost down to $2,349.99. Meanwhile, the 1.83GHz MacBook Pro is shipping in 1 - 2 weeks from the online retailer, also with a $150 rebate, for a reduced cost of $1,849.99.

Amazon.com also retains stock of both the 1.5GHz Core Solo Mac mini and the 1.66 GHz Core Duo Mac mini, offering rebates of $25 on both models.

According to reliable sources, a shortage of common components shared between Apple's Intel iMac and the MacBook Pro are at the root of the ongoing MacBook Pro backlog.
post #2 of 51
I ordered 3/14 and had an estimated ship date of 4/4 until this morning when I got notification that it shipped!

Shipped 3/18 with estimated delivery of 3/22. I even ordered a CTO from the edu store. It's a 2 Ghz with the 120 GB upgrade.
post #3 of 51
My friend just got his, it's the best laptop/notebook around!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 51
I got an Acer catalogue in the mail today. They had a laptop virtually identical to the MacBook Pro: 2.0GHz Core Duo, bluetooth and a/b/g wireless, built in webcam above the display, 15.4" wide screen, etc. Literally down to the last detail, it was identical. The only difference was that it came with 2GB of RAM, but without a remote control or anything like FrontRow or iLife. So overall, you could say it was -- more or less -- identical in specs. Oh, and it had a thick, ugly plastic case. But I digress.

Why am I posting this? It was $100 more expensive than the MacBook Pro! So much for the "Apple premium". I am not saying that Mac's are cheaper than PC's here, but saying you pay a significant premium is just plain incorrect. And that's without taking any possible extra costs into account, such as total cost of ownership or anti-virus protection. Yes, home users don't have to bill their time fixing their PC, and you can use free products for some things, but it's still extra work, and for a business, that translates into extra expenditure.
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood
I got an Acer catalogue in the mail today. They had a laptop virtually identical to the MacBook Pro: 2.0GHz Core Duo, bluetooth and a/b/g wireless, built in webcam above the display, 15.4" wide screen, etc. Literally down to the last detail, it was identical. The only difference was that it came with 2GB of RAM, but without a remote control or anything like FrontRow or iLife. So overall, you could say it was -- more or less -- identical in specs. Oh, and it had a thick, ugly plastic case. But I digress.

Why am I posting this? It was $100 more expensive than the MacBook Pro! So much for the "Apple premium". I am not saying that Mac's are cheaper than PC's here, but saying you pay a significant premium is just plain incorrect. And that's without taking any possible extra costs into account, such as total cost of ownership or anti-virus protection. Yes, home users don't have to bill their time fixing their PC, and you can use free products for some things, but it's still extra work, and for a business, that translates into extra expenditure.

Here here!
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by sworthy
I ordered 3/14 and had an estimated ship date of 4/4 until this morning when I got notification that it shipped!

Shipped 3/18 with estimated delivery of 3/22. I even ordered a CTO from the edu store. It's a 2 Ghz with the 120 GB upgrade.

you're kidding?!?! I ordered March 2, with estimated ship date of Mar. 30. And mine still hasn't shipped out!!!

It must be because I upgraded the drive to 120GB, but STILL, On monday when business starts again, I hope that status changes.
post #7 of 51
This is good news for Apple as the quarter is coming to an end. Wall Street will be looking at Apple's unit sales and the more units that Apple can ship the better.

Overall, this quarter will be important for Apple as it will provide the first metrics into the market's demand for the new Intel based Macs.
post #8 of 51
Sorry I forgot to add, both had identical X1600 graphics. Now again, I am not saying Mac's are cheaper than PC's, but it's ludicrous to assume you're paying a significant premium, if any. I guess the other reason I'm posting this is that, the other day, I saw a post from somebody saying he was having a problem with his new MacBook Pro (I don't remember what the problem was, something with RAM), and he was complaining about "I should not be having this problem because I paid a $1000 premium to get a Mac". While I think we can all sympathise with somebody having hardware issues, he didn't really pay more for his MacBook Pro than he would have paid for an equivalent PC laptop.
post #9 of 51
Apple has never released a product that didn't have a significant backlog at the beginning, for at least several months -- they just can NEVER nail down demand properly!
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by scotty321
Apple has never released a product that didn't have a significant backlog at the beginning, for at least several months -- they just can NEVER nail down demand properly!

They've released quite a few products that were available right away - and in some cases never had a backlog despite high demand.

It's just that Apple decided to not only launch its first Intel Macs early, but to share components in a way which (if not entirely predictable) caused shortages.
post #11 of 51
This is great news for me. Guess I can order next week then.
post #12 of 51
The iPod Hi-Fi and Mac mini were both "shipping within 24 hours" when they came out. I actually ordered a Mac mini, the core duo version, and it shipped within hours.

The iMac also pretty much was available at launch, however the MacBook Pro was not, and in many cases people had to wait for 4 weeks or even longer.

The bottom line: your statement isn't correct. That isn't to say that, on occasion, new products do take a while to get into the hands of customers. Often, this is pent up demand: people read rumours, wait for new products, wait, wait and wait, and when something does finally come along, they all order at the same time!
post #13 of 51
Does anyone other than me (or perhaps DHagan) think that this is a harbinger of a 17" MBP? Or is that just the alcohol talking?
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
you're kidding?!?! I ordered March 2, with estimated ship date of Mar. 30. And mine still hasn't shipped out!!!

It must be because I upgraded the drive to 120GB, but STILL, On monday when business starts again, I hope that status changes.

Well I tried the cancel item trick and I can no longer cancel, so I guess (or hope so, anyway) mine will be shipping soon - a few days early too! Will have to see what happens on Monday...

Ordered: 3/8

Est Ship: 29/3
Est Del: 4/4
MBP 1.83 100GB @ 5400rpm, 1GB RAM
iPod Nano 2GB
iPod 4G 20GB w/ Remote + Griffin iTalk
Dell S**tbox - Paperweight
MBP 1.83 100GB @ 5400rpm, 1GB RAM
iPod Nano 2GB
iPod 4G 20GB w/ Remote + Griffin iTalk
Dell S**tbox - Paperweight
post #15 of 51
I wonder if there will be any blip on the supply & demand screen related to the Windows XP booting on Intel Mac caper?

For any potential switchers who have been sitting on the fence, the knowledge that they can keep their safety blanket of Windows software compatibility might be enough to tip the over the edge and click the "order" button.

So, get your orders in before the ultra easy v0.2 of the patch appears!
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dirk
Does anyone other than me (or perhaps DHagan) think that this is a harbinger of a 17" MBP? Or is that just the alcohol talking?

Cheers!

I was at an Apple Store this afternoon and they alluded to an event around April 1st, but did not have a clue about what was coming.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #17 of 51
Hopefully they're stocking up on components for the MacBook iBook replacement...
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by abzfigo99
Well I tried the cancel item trick and I can no longer cancel, so I guess (or hope so, anyway) mine will be shipping soon - a few days early too! Will have to see what happens on Monday...

Ordered: 3/8

Est Ship: 29/3
Est Del: 4/4

Woah... you seem to be muxing up your notation. I have no problem with people doing mm/dd or dd/mm, but both in the same message

But anyway? Am I the only one that thinks this is bad? More wait time = More demand. Thus, less wait time = less demand = bad.
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by ctachme

But anyway? Am I the only one that thinks this is bad? More wait time = More demand. Thus, less wait time = less demand = bad.

maybe not bad for you or Apple, but its bad for me!

P.S. Also, it wouldn't be good news for Apple if it was only because of a lack of parts that caused the shortage. Although, I don't think that's the reason in this situation.
post #20 of 51
After waiting for over 6 weeks for my Ultimate configuration to arrive I finally got it in my hands yesterday and the wait was well worth it!

The screen is even better then my Powerbook G4 17 ( yes, I am one of those people who upgrades every new generation). It has none of the noise or other issues I have been reading about. One detail I havent seen spoken about is the keyboard, it may be the best one yet from Apple.

It is so fast I can even begin to say how impressive it istime to boot is unreal and even running non-Universal applications seem no slower than on my old Powerbook.

( I am still not crazy about the MacBook Pro name but with all that this machine delivers on they could have called it Bob for all I care)

A few little annoying points.

I think the start up application that allows you to transfer all of your information over from your previous Mac is great. One improvement would have been to allow you to select what applications and files you wanted to move over selectively rather than doing it in mass.

My Harman Kardon Sound Sticks I appear to have issues. On my Powerbook they worked without issues even when connected via an 8 port USB hub. On the MacBook Pro even when directly connected they seem to work on and offI will play around and see if there is a work around for this problem.

The only other issue I have noticed so far is that Microsoft Entourage seems to hang on quit and will only shut down using Force Quit.
post #21 of 51
For the record, I had to wait 3-4 weeks for mine.
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by kemck
The only other issue I have noticed so far is that Microsoft Entourage seems to hang on quit and will only shut down using Force Quit.

What do you expect? It's microsoft
post #23 of 51
Here in Switzerland there is no way to support the article ;-)

Ordered May 4th, estimated April 3rd.
Apple Logistics is reporting an expected shipping of May 28th but that's an estimate.

I think you can see how horrible it is to me.
And Apple promised to manufacture and ship in priority.

Now they decline any further demand to do priority because of the backlog.

I have also other orders that have been put earlier.
It's funny but all "open" orders before and after me are stating an estimate shipping on April 3rd.

Go figure why ;-)
Chris
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Here here!

post #25 of 51
Ordered on 09-03 and estimated delivery on 11-04. However, I called Sales and they said that they expect the MBP to be delivered just after 25-03. GREAT. However; this date is not reflected on the orderpage... We'll see what happens.

My MBP: 2.16Ghz, 7200rpm. So yes, mine IS bigger than yours. (No, I do not feel the need to compensate for anything)
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by sikkd
Here in Switzerland there is no way to support the article ;-)

Ordered May 4th, estimated April 3rd.
Apple Logistics is reporting an expected shipping of May 28th but that's an estimate.

I think you can see how horrible it is to me.
And Apple promised to manufacture and ship in priority.

Now they decline any further demand to do priority because of the backlog.

I have also other orders that have been put earlier.
It's funny but all "open" orders before and after me are stating an estimate shipping on April 3rd.

Go figure why ;-)
Chris

Try the Dataquest web shop. I ordered a plain 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro on Tuesday, it was delivered to my door the following day.

It seems they have/had some in stock, and I just got one.
post #27 of 51
I finally did it! Got my order in for a shiny new MBP 2.0. I've been waiting since January for the wait times to drop - if I'm going to wait a month anyway, I'd rather wait it before plunking my money down. Today is the last day for Amazon's $150 rebate, but whatever the AI article might claim, every time I checked their order page it still showed a wait time of 1-2 weeks. Until 10 minutes ago, when I checked on a lark and the page had suddenly changed to "Usually ships in 24 hours" and "Order in the next 17 minutes for delivery tomorrow". So I did! They must have gotten a big stock in last night. I picked two-day shipping, so it's scheduled for delivery Friday. Whoohoo!
post #28 of 51
MBP now Ships: 3-5 business days
post #29 of 51
it's been 3 weeks since I ordered mine, still nothing :'(
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
it's been 3 weeks since I ordered mine, still nothing :'(

3 WEEKS???????

jesus that's long considering that I've been waiting over 2 months now......
Mike
Mike
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeVonkPro
3 WEEKS???????

jesus that's long considering that I've been waiting over 2 months now......

I know! Count your blessings and be happy you're not me.
post #32 of 51
Ordered my "plain jane" 1.83 on the 30th of January - still waiting, unfortunately I live in New Zealand and to say that the supply is slow is an understatement - up until today there have been fewer than 30 ship to the local distrubutor - a third of which have been absorb for press and demo units - the supply is slowly coming through but have been told to not expect it until mid -April - dispite being in the first 100 of the allocation for shipping.

Those of you complaining about waiting a few weeks I probably have up to another month to wait - having already waited 7 weeks (18 days of which were prior to the start of shipping in the US). NZ received the first customer shipment - a hand full of each about a week ago and two similar sized shipments over the past few days.

All I hope is that the large retail stores don't pinch all the stock.
post #33 of 51
MBP now ships in 1-3 day down from 3-5
post #34 of 51
Walked into tekserve in NYC and got mine SAME DAY!!!

Great little machine!!

Only peeve is the front row remote should have a slot/pocket/place to put it.

Really frickin fast.

Love the isight integration. And Photo Booth is really fun.

Front row is gonna be a killer app!!

remote...grrr!

post #35 of 51
I checked some stores online and on site but_ Apple did accord me the Student Rebate, even though i'm Apprentice, so no educate-rebate eligible, but it was hard to convince the guy on the phone but worked...

Was at Letec, refused to accord me the Student Rebate, because i'm not really a student. But 3 units in stock. Sold out the same time i went off the shop.

Was at Dataquest, refused to accord me the Student Rebate, because i'm not really a student. But 10 units in stock. Sold out the same time i went off the shop.

Was at FotoMeier, refused to accord me the Student Rebate, because i'm not really a student. But 1 unit in stock. Sold out the same time i went off the shop.

Was at Manor, refused to accord me the Student Rebate, because i'm not really a student. But 5 units in stock. Almost sold out the same time i went off the shop.
post #36 of 51
Mine is a great maching,
Couldn't be happier!
post #37 of 51
SENT! SENT!
Sorry for yelling, but i think you understand my euphoria...

Today so much good things happened to me. I really wish today is the day of happiness for everyone of you!

I can't wait to get my MBP.
Just to recap

Order

Ship Estimate

Ship Effective

Arrival Estimate

Arrival Effective
?
post #38 of 51
Quote:
SENT! SENT!
Sorry for yelling, but i think you understand my euphoria...

Today so much good things happened to me. I really wish today is the day of happiness for everyone of you!

I can't wait to get my MBP.
Just to recap

Order

Ship Estimate

Ship Effective

Arrival Estimate

Arrival Effective
?

Did you have a 120GB drive or 80? Cause I ordered two days before you and I STILL haven't had mine sent out!
post #39 of 51
MBPRO 15/2.0/1X1G/100/256VRAM/SD-SWM
I think it's a 100GB sorry to not know it but i didn't mind too much

Sorry to hear you're still waiting :-(
post #40 of 51
Quote:
MBPRO 15/2.0/1X1G/100/256VRAM/SD-SWM
I think it's a 100GB sorry to not know it but i didn't mind too much

Sorry to hear you're still waiting :-(

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's MacBook Pro wait times improve significantly