or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › What's the top 5 things you want to see in Leopard??

What's the top 5 things you want to see in Leopard??

post #1 of 72
They can be changes or new things!

Either way show your list!
I have a number of things on my list, one of which is a skypeout thingy in iChat! (to call regular phones for a small fee from my computer).

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #2 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
They can be changes or new things!

Either way show your list!
I have a number of things on my list, one which is a skypeout thingy in iChat! (to call regular phones for a small fee from my computer).

Sure...a Skypeout thingy to go with the rumored Apple iPhone. (And while we're on the iChat topic, I want iChat and Google Talk audio/video chat.)

Resolution independence.

Metadata browsing (and this includes improved Open/Save dialog boxes).

iTheater? (Wishful thinking...looks like Apple is merging media instead of seperating the players.)

One UI to rule them all and, in the Aquaness, bind them. No more brushed-metal, and custome theme madness. (Another wishful thought.)
post #3 of 72
1. Cocoa Finder that rocks with better spotlight integration
2. Resolution independence
3. UTIs for file typing
4. Core data expanded to cover enterprise databases, and WebObjects brought back to using Objective-C and the Cocoa Foundation frameworks.
5. Kernel/threading improvements
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

post #4 of 72
Here's my list of things I am hoping to be announced:

1) Better metadata improvements in the Finder - I want to be able to edit a file's metadata directly in the Finder. I also want to be able to browse my file system like I do my iTunes library (click a browse button and be able to browse by author, kind, etc.).

2) Be able to enter in metadata for a file directly in the save dialogs - This should be a no-brainer here. Microsoft had a good idea here doing this in Vista. The save dialogs are the ideal place to enter in metadata for a file.

3) Better smart folder integration - Be able to right-click on a smart folder in my dock and have it work like a regular folder does by popping open a menu showing the contents. I also want to be able to browse smart folders in column view. You can do this somewhat in open dialogs, but not in the regular Finder.

4) Let me use 'OR' in my smart folders without having to resort to editing the raw query in a text editor.

5) I want to be able to quickly right-click on a file or folder and be able to say "Sync with .Mac".
Mac OS X Leopard vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com
post #5 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Moriarty
...5) I want to be able to quickly right-click on a file or folder and be able to say "Sync with .Mac".

THAT would ROCK!!!!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #6 of 72
i've bought 3 updates with the same crappy finder, and i definitely won't by a 4th with the same crappy finder.
post #7 of 72
  1. New finder
  2. Resolution independance coupled with my idle GPU doing even more work
  3. A Vista-beater. Spotlight and Dashboard haven't changed how I work, but they've certainly tweaked how I work.
  4. New X11.app, preferably with all the nice new X.org and XGL gubbins.
  5. Speed, security and behaviour improvements, such as British English being added to the language list so that all the UI components are spelt corrrectly.
post #8 of 72
A flexible and power-user Finder that can compete with what Vista is offering in terms of browsing based around metadata instead of folders; more support for themed reskinning; the ability to run it on a PC.
post #9 of 72
I have ten feature requests...

1. The ability to right-mouse click a docked window to close it.

2. For Safari to match IE speeds.

3. For Mail to stop being so sluggish and for the junk mail filter to recognize that e-mails without a subject line can be classified as junk mail.

4. Faster reconnections to wireless networks. Or better yet, just fix networking. Apple was clever to include a Networking Diagnostics application into 10.4 which should have been a clue that there was something wrong with networking (especially wireless networking).

5. For Dashboard to automatically initialize widgets. Too often, when I access Dashboard, I have to wait for the widget to activate. I find this so annoying (especially when I am demonstrating this feature to WinTel users).

6. Advance options for Spotlight (e.g, the ability to add meta data) and the ability to assign "Actions" to Spotlight search results (e.g., burn a list of search results to CD/DVD, or apply a green label to a bunch of Word documents, etc.)

7. Re-include a CPU monitoring application that Apple took out in 10.4(remember the cool CPU monitoring app that dock icon was CPU activity).

8. For Safari to have the ability to overwrite existing bookmarks with a new bookmark. For example, if I have a saved bookmark http://www.google.com I would like the ability to overwrite that saved bookmark with another such as http://www.google.com/news.

9. Fix printer setup. Nearly every 10 dot release Apple has changed the way printers are configured, and they still have not got it right. Enough of the cute stuff. Just copy Windows.

10. The ability roll back operating system and Apple application upgrades.
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Re-include a CPU monitoring application that Apple took out in 10.4(remember the cool CPU monitoring app that dock icon was CPU activity).

You can do this in 10.4 with activity monitor.
post #11 of 72
1. Shipping Tomorrow!

Here: 2-5 These Features

Here: 6-10 These Features
post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
1. Shipping Tomorrow!

Here: 2-5 These Features

Here: 6-10 These Features

That's funny, I saw the full version a while ago! It's about 10 minutes long!
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by rminkler
You can do this in 10.4 with activity monitor.

Very cool. Scratch #7 off the list.

Thanks

Dave
post #14 of 72
In reading these requests one can really see how Windows came to be the mess that it is today. MS would have put all of them in.

Apple does a great job at designing a powerful OS with a simple UI that does not get in your way or slow you down with a gazzilion ways to do the sane thing, not perfect by any means but certainly perfect by today's standards.
post #15 of 72
1. Spotlight to actually work in Mail.

2. Hibernate. Oh and Apple shipping batteries that don't die would be nice too. Those two would be much appreciated by us mobile users.

3. Resolution independence.

4. REAL speech recognition and synthesis. They have not updated this since 1989 it seems. Vicki is just marginally better than voices from 1990. In fact we can't control modulation/pitch any more which is a step backward.

5. REAL handwriting recognition. And consequently, tablets, and being able to sign our sig and do gestures and other stuff on *Book trackpads. A MacBook with a swiveling touchscreen would be neat too. Made possible by Leopard.

I have high hopes for Leopard. I think it will be better than Windows 20016, let alone Windows 2007 or 2008 (AKA Windows Vista). I'm pretty psyched. Can't wait to get that MacBook later this summer, with Leopard!

Quote:
6. Advance options for Spotlight (e.g, the ability to add meta data) and the ability to assign "Actions" to Spotlight search results (e.g., burn a list of search results to CD/DVD, or apply a green label to a bunch of Word documents, etc.)

Holy smokes I like that!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave K.

You can already do these super easy with Automator. This is exactly why Automator was created. Give it a whirl.

post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by iPeon
In reading these requests one can really see how Windows came to be the mess that it is today. MS would have put all of them in.

Apple does a great job at designing a powerful OS with a simple UI that does not get in your way or slow you down with a gazzilion ways to do the sane thing, not perfect by any means but certainly perfect by today's standards.

You put it very well.

Btw, reobtaining true springloaded folders would be nice.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #18 of 72
1. FTP in the finder that works
2. FTP in the finder that works
3. FTP in the finder that works
4. FTP in the finder that works
5. FTP in the finder that works
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #19 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
1. FTP in the finder that works
2. FTP in the finder that works
3. FTP in the finder that works
4. FTP in the finder that works
5. FTP in the finder that works

Low standards?

I'd be disappointed if Apple wasted their time on this.
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Low standards?

I'd be disappointed if Apple wasted their time on this.

not low standards, but an expectation that a piece of fundamental functionality would actually work.

i certainly wouldn't call this a waste of time...
post #21 of 72
Cue Kickaha in 5...
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Cue Kickaha in 5...

Hehe, I was thinking the exact same thing and scrolling to get there...

Anyway, how about getting rid of all .Mac options in the menues when you actually dont have a .mac account.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #23 of 72
Quote:
You can already do these super easy with Automator. This is exactly why Automator was created. Give it a whirl.

Can you tell me how to use Automater to add metadata?
post #24 of 72
oh, here's one. This has been one of my biggest pet-peeves with OS 10.1 - 10.4

CURSOR "STICKING"

as in, when you drag your cursor over an internet link and get the little clicky finger, the cursor remains a clicky finger even after you move the cursor off the link. Or when you get the blinky text-inputter thing, it doesn't go away, even if you drag your mouse over the dock or something.

it drives me nuts, and makes it impossible for me to try to explain things to my dad in terms of, 'when the cursor changes to X or Y, that means you are clicking the right thing'

anyone else have this trouble?
post #25 of 72
I'm fairly pleased with things as they are, a few tweaks would do me, although I'm sure Apple will find something cool that I'll have to get.

Anyway,

1) Make folders in the dock springloaded
2) Faster safari (it's not bad, but always room for improvement!)
3) Easier ways of editing meta-data sounds cool
4) Fix the bloody address book so I can answer calls over bluetooth - it doesn't work! I use the bluetooth stuff in address book every day for sending texts, but it seems half arsed. Would be nice if answering calls on my Sony Ericsson worked, and I could send long texts.
5) Something else to make me go wow, that's cool, how did I ever live without it? (a la dashboard)
post #26 of 72
Mostly clean up and optimization to an already great OS!
OS X will evolve for many years! Leopard is another step towards a perfect OS.

1: no more gaps at the bottom of any windows, for clean edges and easier window sizing. i.e. when dock is hidden and windows are full on iMac, if bring the cursor down to the very right hand corner you cannot grab the window!
2: we all agree on this one! Consistant themes across the board, like iTunes and iPhoto.
3: Faster Safari and less slugish Mail.
4: Skypeout equivalent in iChat.
5: And some cool surprises that apple always provides!
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Beardsley
1. Cocoa Finder that rocks with better spotlight integration
2. Resolution independence
3. UTIs for file typing
4. Core data expanded to cover enterprise databases, and WebObjects brought back to using Objective-C and the Cocoa Foundation frameworks.
5. Kernel/threading improvements

Agreed. And to bring back from Openstep the ability to turn on/off window resizing on the lower left besides the default lower right position.
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by iPeon

Agreed.

Somewhat related, but what mode do people use in the Finder? I practically always use the column view, with occasional use of list view. The only time I use "icon" view is for picture folders and I set the thumbnails to be displayed and the sizes to be 128x128. I always have the toolbar and sidebar on, eschewing the Classic Mac OS window-per-folder methods.

Does anyone actually use the Classic-style folder windows anymore?
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
Agreed.

Somewhat related, but what mode do people use in the Finder? I practically always use the column view, with occasional use of list view. The only time I use "icon" view is for picture folders and I set the thumbnails to be displayed and the sizes to be 128x128. I always have the toolbar and sidebar on, eschewing the Classic Mac OS window-per-folder methods.

Does anyone actually use the Classic-style folder windows anymore?

I do the same. I use column view 95% of the time. That works very well for me, it's a much much, much, better "finder" than Window's explored in my opinion. Occasional I use the list view when I need to see the size of files and folders or to locate by dates, and icon view for pictures. I like it as is. It's very easy to toggle between the 3 views.
post #30 of 72
1) Home on iPod
2) Speech recognition that works
3) Fix iSync (e.g., it is always telling me that I have a zillion contacts that are going to be deleted and a zillion contacts that are going to be added; it doesn't let me check what is going to be added/deleted; usually I can't see that it has changed more than one or two; except for that one time when it deleted all my contacts and I had to spend a few hours reconstructing them from backups).
4) Better integration of X11
post #31 of 72
I have a dream that with Leopard I will be able to use my Mac to run any Windows program straight from OS X

I have a dream that Apple itself will make that happen.

I have a dream that by doing so the world will finally be freed from that Mac wanna be, spy-ware slut, virus infected crappy OS.

I have a dream!
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by mdriftmeyer
And to bring back from Openstep the ability to turn on/off window resizing on the lower left besides the default lower right position.

I love this idea, another vote from me!!

For those who have issues with Spotlight, I suggest you have a look at MoRu

More information here: macosxhints reviews MoRu
post #33 of 72
I'm glad there hasn't been talk of a shelf for the Finder since at least 10.2 came out.
post #34 of 72
Resolution Indenpendance for me is something that wont turn up. It relies on vectors and vectors are complete whores to work with. Apple's icons would never look the same again. Look at the vista screw up.

In terms of X11 and unix/linux stuff. I strongly doubt apple gives a shit any more. They are trying to fight with microsoft not with SUSE or Red Hat.

Improved metadata browsing may be too much of a good thing. Basing an entire filesystem explorer on parts of a file not the whole thing is slightly stupid if you look at it that way. And anyway so few people fiddle with the metadata when it comes down to it. Only professionals or people who spend to much time on the computer.

WebObjects is seperate to Mac OS X apple will update that seperatly... If ever.

Apple will concentrate on creating universal iLife like looks. Smashing vista pure crapness apart. They will fix all the rubbish in the system. Like voice recognition, handwriting recognition, universal access. They will concentrate on ease of use and on speed. Windows intergration will be better in order to support Vista's new... whatever. I doubt that many of the features will be new. They will probably update everything as close to perfection as they can and then they should have an easy Vista beater.
post #35 of 72
these are just simple tings that i want cause they would look cool:

1. new animations for minimizing and maximization
2. new options for title car rather than blue and grayish blue. without using skins and stuff.
3. more visualtions for itunes, standard.
4. multiple docks.
5. i only have 4. and they are simple improvements which i think are downloadeable 2rd party stuff, but i dont want it, i just want to see it available.. lol..
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by macanoid
I love this idea, another vote from me!!

For those who have issues with Spotlight, I suggest you have a look at MoRu

More information here: macosxhints reviews MoRu

I like MoRU. It's Spotlight in the right direction. But I only have two issues with it:

- The interface is very laggy and searches can be slow
- You can't access your smart folders from the Finder
post #37 of 72
Great idea for a thread. to limit it to 5 things:

1. A real calendar program

2. Give Spotlight a robust query interface, and in general, fix the quirky search and inconsistencies between spotlight, mail, finder, etc.

3. Put iSync back to one interface and don't require the app to be open to sync all devices

4. Real fax functionality. (e.g. custom cover pages...)

5. Tabs in iChat

6. .Mac syncing actually works (I know I went one over, but I can't help myself.)

Uninspired list, I agree. But Tiger took some serious steps backwards in some areas, and in new areas, fell way short.
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by crampy20
Apple will concentrate on creating universal iLife like looks. Smashing vista pure crapness apart. They will fix all the rubbish in the system. Like voice recognition, handwriting recognition, universal access. They will concentrate on ease of use and on speed. Windows intergration will be better in order to support Vista's new... whatever. I doubt that many of the features will be new. They will probably update everything as close to perfection as they can and then they should have an easy Vista beater.

Interesting post.

I have mixed feelings about it.

One the one hand, with all of the poorly thought-through things in Tiger, and the slickness of iLife, I would be happy for 10.5 to bring a consistent iLife interface to OSX in addition to just making everything better, smarter, and consistent.

That alone would be worth 150 bucks (to me.)

But then the kid in me want the New Coolness. I know this adds new problems, but I can't help myself.

But on balance, I think if Apple really and truly cleaned up the quirks in Tiger in 10.5 and gave me the iLife interface, I'll upgrade.
post #39 of 72
Look at looprumors. They are talking only about finder based and relativly simple alterations.

Currently Tiger has just as much as Vista will do. Thus Apple has a better chance of making it MUCH better. Though that alone won't attract customers.

Address Book - Dont use enough to know problems
Automater - as above (more actions... der)
iCal - as above
Safari - Phising? Virii protection?
Quicktime - Not QT 8, just some system intergration update and intergration of some new format
Printers - Better network printing and HOPEFULLY the ability share a printer properly with windows without bonjour generic printing.
Dashboard - Instant start + more effects + More (useful) widgets
Spotlight - faster + better file type reading..... (there are a lot of things)
Fonts - The new Vista fonts and a better browser that actually indendifies font probelms
iSync - better, duh, more devices
Utilities - updated for whatever the bring in
Windows Intergration - Crashing thing of the past + Vista systems
Screensavers - Desktop screensaver + finally fixing flurry
FTP... - to work
Dock - ?
Security - Whatever
Expose - Fix the crapnesss
Speech - better
Ink - better
CD/DVD - new formats + finally RW

post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by BWhaler
Great idea for a thread. to limit it to 5 things:

1. A real calendar program

2. Give Spotlight a robust query interface, and in general, fix the quirky search and inconsistencies between spotlight, mail, finder, etc.

3. Put iSync back to one interface and don't require the app to be open to sync all devices

4. Real fax functionality. (e.g. custom cover pages...)

5. Tabs in iChat

6. .Mac syncing actually works (I know I went one over, but I can't help myself.)

Uninspired list, I agree. But Tiger took some serious steps backwards in some areas, and in new areas, fell way short.

Regarding the custom cover pages, this was a specific project and important one during the OS X transition at Apple but somehow its priority has continually been reduced to pave way for other issues in the print system.

I agree that it should finally see the light of day.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › What's the top 5 things you want to see in Leopard??