or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device.

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
CNN interviewed Ballmer and he hinted that MS would be offering an MP3/Phone device within the next 12 months. What does this mean for Apple, if anything? Link below.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...3041/index.htm
post #2 of 23
Would you buy a phone from this guy???

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg
post #3 of 23
Perhaps it will run on sweat.


post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
Would you buy a phone from this guy???

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg

The two videos I've seen of him are hilarious to the point of almost being scary. The guy looks 'postal'.
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
The two videos I've seen of him are hilarious to the point of almost being scary. The guy looks 'postal'.

If he was at any other company he would have been sacked already!
The guy's mental. Microsoft is a holy joke!

Oh yea buy the way the title of this thread is misleading, and It'll probably get locked soon.
"Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device"
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
The two videos I've seen of him are hilarious to the point of almost being scary. The guy looks 'postal'.


If you had to run windows all day long and apologize for it you would be postal too.

Perhaps he is a closet mac user.


post #7 of 23
Its kind of sad that from the subject of the thead I just knew a link to that video would be in the second post.

Its getting a bit long in the tooth, people.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Its kind of sad that from the subject of the thead I just knew a link to that video would be in the second post.

Its getting a bit long in the tooth, people.


Slow news day. That's all I got.


How about some fake invites?

Or, an elevator shot of something?

Anyone?

Anyone?








\ \
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
Would you buy a phone from this guy???

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg

Yes, but only if I can get a "Developers!" ring-tone.
post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland

Oh yea buy the way the title of this thread is misleading, and It'll probably get locked soon.
"Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device"

How? He said "in five years are people going to carry two devices?.... Expect to see announcements from us in the next 12 months." Sounds like they plan to introduce a Phone/MP3 player combo. Don't take my word for it read the article for yourself.
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
How? He said "in five years are people going to carry two devices?.... Expect to see announcements from us in the next 12 months." Sounds like they plan to introduce a Phone/MP3 player combo. Don't take my word for it read the article for yourself.

An "iPhone" is a hinted suggestion of an apple device, not a Microsoft one!
While we are talking about this, Microsoft as usual is all talk. Apple don't talk, they do! For a start where's Microsofts iPod! Any company can say in the future we will do this and we will do that! Besides all that, that man's a nut-job!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 23
I would have edited the title if it wasn´t for the fact that noone can decide what the iPhone is suppose to be. So it being a possible MS product fits right in.

Is it:

1) A mobile phone, Apple style?
2) A VoIP via 802.11?
3) A wireless handset connecting via iChat?
4) Something MS will be making?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #13 of 23
Fair point.

We can assume however it will be an Apple product if it does ever appear though! That's why I thought the heading was a bit confusing.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
I would have edited the title if it wasn´t for the fact that noone can decide what the iPhone is suppose to be. So it being a possible MS product fits right in.

Is it:

1) A mobile phone, Apple style?
2) A VoIP via 802.11?
3) A wireless handset connecting via iChat?
4) Something MS will be making?

Sorry. Title should've been "Ballmer hints at an MP3/Phone Device" Your questions are the the ones that I have. While Ireland seems to want to dismiss the article as a lot of bluster, I wouldn't be so sure. While I'm not sure MS will actually deliver an attractive product, I would bet that they bring something to market. Should Apple respond?
post #15 of 23
Wow, this is pretty far into the thread to have nothing but "Ballmer is a monkey" and "I quibble with the semantics of your post" responses.

Focus, people. Crazed speculation doesn't write itself, you know!

Now then, I think it highly likely that MS will release, with much fanfare, a reference design for a phone exactly like the MS powered phones already on the market, but with music playback pushed up in UI prominence. Possibly some additional functionality that nobody wants but which disproportionately increases complexity.

They will give it some kind of vaguely aspirational name, like "Arcadia" or "Parabola", which the hardware partners will promptly change to "PXE13548".

After weeks of teaser announcements and portentous "leaked" videos, anticipation will be at a fever pitch. There will be much talk of an "iPod/PSP/al Qaeda killer", with approximately four millions articles being written based on on some variation of the premise "Is the iPod finally going to be dethroned/crushed/sent to the ash heap of history/replicate the market slide of the Mac on account of that asshole Jobs failed to open up the OS to licensees?".

Upon release and the realization that there really isn't anything very interesting or new we will shrug and go back to waiting for the next iPod killer.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Wow, this is pretty far into the thread to have nothing but "Ballmer is a monkey" and "I quibble with the semantics of your post" responses.

Focus, people. Crazed speculation doesn't write itself, you know!

Now then, I think it highly likely that MS will release, with much fanfare, a reference design for a phone exactly like the MS powered phones already on the market, but with music playback pushed up in UI prominence. Possibly some additional functionality that nobody wants but which disproportionately increases complexity.

They will give it some kind of vaguely aspirational name, like "Arcadia" or "Parabola", which the hardware partners will promptly change to "PXE13548".

After weeks of teaser announcements and portentous "leaked" videos, anticipation will be at a fever pitch. There will be much talk of an "iPod/PSP/al Qaeda killer", with approximately four millions articles being written based on on some variation of the premise "Is the iPod finally going to be dethroned/crushed/sent to the ash heap of history/replicate the market slide of the Mac on account of that asshole Jobs failed to open up the OS to licensees?".

Upon release and the realization that there really isn't anything very interesting or new we will shrug and go back to waiting for the next iPod killer.

Who offers the phone handsets? Tradition wireless carriers or something else? VoIP? Lots of unanswered questions.
post #17 of 23
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
Who offers the phone handsets? Tradition wireless carriers or something else? VoIP? Lots of unanswered questions.

Maybe this is the answer you're looking for!

They do it themselves!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
Who offers the phone handsets? Tradition wireless carriers or something else? VoIP? Lots of unanswered questions.

Same carriers that offer MS smartphones even now. Because this "exciting new category buster/iPod killer/changes life as we know it" will be exactly that, an MS smartphone.

Have we learned nothing from the Origami nonsense? MS is largely a marketing enterprise, repackaging the stuff they managed to come up with back when they were a technology company.

They can make all the videos they want about happy, smart, hip people empowered to do cool things everywhere all the time by MS "integration", but they're ain't no such animal. MS doesn't have enough control over hardware to make everything work together, and they apparently have lost control of their software processes as well.

That's leaves them with "initiatives" that define desirable market segments first and try to shoe-horn in the tech after the fact.

Windows and Office dominate because of monopoly forces and the "good enough" factor. Xbox is a stand alone initiative that doesn't have to deal with all the cruft, so they do a pretty good job.

What else do they have? Tablets? Media Centers? On what evidence would we expect MS to make a truly innovative and desirable portable device?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #20 of 23
And continuing that, why do people insist Apple should go the same way and make tablets, phones, game consols, etc?

Because Apple will make it right[/Jedi hand wave]?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
And continuing that, why do people insist Apple should go the same way and make tablets, phones, game consols, etc?

Because Apple will make it right[/Jedi hand wave]?

The thruth is music to my ears!
Completely unrelated, am listening to the latest engadget podcast as i'm typing, boy they're always talking about M$.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
And continuing that, why do people insist Apple should go the same way and make tablets, phones, game consols, etc?

Because Apple will make it right[/Jedi hand wave]?

Amen to that, bro.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #23 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
And continuing that, why do people insist Apple should go the same way and make tablets, phones, game consols, etc?

Because Apple will make it right[/Jedi hand wave]?

It's the belief that Apple could do something special. At least with tablets and phones, IMO. Alas, Ive seen no good arguement to do so and many not to. \

I continue to hope against reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ballmer Hints at a iPhone device.