or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › iMac G3 Problem

iMac G3 Problem

post #1 of 5
I have two iMac G3's. They are 333 slot loaders. They were working flawlessly, but recently, the screen does what I can only describe as degausing itself. The screen makes an odd noise which sounds like a degauss. They both work perfect apart from that. They both have Panther, with all updates (10.3.9).
post #2 of 5
Bad news. It is most likely a short in the High voltage section. One of my screens did this for about 5 months before it kicked the bucket. The other lasted less than a month. You could take it in to a repair shop and that may run you around $200. Don't try to repair it yourself though, there are plenty of things that can kill you in there.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #3 of 5
Ok, I might have to wait on that though, I'm in college, so $400 to fix my hobby machines might be hard to come by. Thanks for the quick reply though, I was thinking that I would have to take them in.
post #4 of 5
If I were you, I'd get rid of your imacs at £50 each and buy a second hand G4 Mini off ebay (I've seen a 1.42GHz going for £250 with 512MB Ram) and then buy a cheap refurb CRT (£30-£50).

Total cost should be about £200 and the Mini is a really nice machine.
post #5 of 5
I have a 1.25 mini, which I'm typing this on, if I were to get another it would be intel. I collect old machines, and nurse them to health, so I wanted to try to get these imacs working. Thanks though.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › iMac G3 Problem