or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Tiger Will Not Fully Shut Down Machine

Tiger Will Not Fully Shut Down Machine

post #1 of 8
I have suffered with Tiger since I installed it on my IMac last year (upgraded from Panther); when I shut down the system and answer the "do you really want to shut down" -- the system refuses to totally shut down. The only way I can fully shut it down is to hold the "start" button on the base of the computer for 5-6 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Don Creswell
dcreswell@smartorg.com
Don C.
Don C.
post #2 of 8
I presume you have tried shutting everything down and logging out and then trying.

It's most likely a deep system problem if anything. Have you tried shutting down though the Terminal?

If that has failed you should really call Apple.
post #3 of 8
same problem as me..
try this :
reset the pram,fix harddisk, and update to 10.4.5
well the problem is still there sometimes...but in a few weeks,
the problem will fade...wont come back...
post #4 of 8
Maybe you have something running that won't give up. That usually halts the shutdown procedure. I think it tells you when it times out though and the process to blame so this is probably a bigger issue. Still, launch your activity monitor after everything seems to have quit.

Incidentally, command-option-ctrl-eject does a force shutdown. It's easier than holding the power key.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by crampy20
I presume you have tried shutting everything down and logging out and then trying.

It's most likely a deep system problem if anything. Have you tried shutting down though the Terminal?

Don C.
Don C.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by crampy20

=================
Thanks for your reply; I have tried this approach. Other suggestions include resetting PRAM, etc. I will try these and then crawl through the Apple phone ladder.

Don C.
Don C.
Don C.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by iM-0N
same problem as me..
try this :
reset the pram,fix harddisk, and update to 10.4.5
well the problem is still there sometimes...but in a few weeks,
the problem will fade...wont come back...

==================
Thanks. I will reset the PRAM and fix the hard disk. All updates are current. Great suggestions.

P.S. What kind of music are you into? I am a jazz pianist when not running sales and marketing for my software company.

Don C.
Don C.
Don C.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin
Maybe you have something running that won't give up. That usually halts the shutdown procedure. I think it tells you when it times out though and the process to blame so this is probably a bigger issue. Still, launch your activity monitor after everything seems to have quit.

Incidentally, command-option-ctrl-eject does a force shutdown. It's easier than holding the power key.

=====================
Thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try.

Don C.
Don C.
Don C.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Tiger Will Not Fully Shut Down Machine